Previous thread: >>67608050

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org
>OEM config lookup:
tp.krelay.de/

Attached: T60 ISS.jpg (2560x1600, 441K)

ordered a w530 :D
supposed 2 come in 22-27

Attached: 1536985554896.png (992x393, 69K)

Is there a port replicator or docking station for the T420 with DVI and PS/2?

I can't decide between a T420 and W520, both with as good specs as I can find.
I can obviously compare the specs easily but is there something I should know before buying either? Is there a problem that one of these models has that could be a deal-breaker? Anything I should know before deciding that is not usually talked about?

Some user in the previous thread told me about the screen in W520 and Optimus which is supported by Windows better than Linux. Anything else?

Just bought an X1 Carbon 3rd Gen, 8gig RAM, 256GB SSD for £400 britbongs. How’d I do Jow Forums?

Attached: 186EDAB0-6DAD-47AB-8D94-020CF487E8F1.jpg (499x499, 35K)

why is delivery time so long?
you too cheap to pay the extra 5 buck for next day delivery?

Global shipping program ------------

it goes from CARY, NC 27513 (North carolina?? idk)
to kentucky (the state)
then to ontario canada

fuck the GSP program. $20 shipping + $50 import fees too

>256G SSD
is it standard to have such a small ssd? I though the price went down to the point where at least 500g-1TB was affordable?

shits gonna end up costing more than the thinkpad OMEGALUL

but i want one NOW :D:D:D:D

I think I'm looking at the same one you bought, do you know if it comes with a wqhd screen? It say's touch in the listing and according to think wiki the only 3rd gen x1 with a touch screen has a wqhd display. I messaged the seller but they haven't got back to me yet.

Thoughts on the x1c 3rd gen and onward?

I already have a t430s but I want something luggable

Kill yourself you fucking reddit shitstain.

Daily reminder that the fn key being all the way on the left is an inferior design.

Attached: 022-01.jpg (480x270, 44K)

I don't think there's anyone who disagrees but there's an option in bios to swap it and literally nobody cares after first hour of use.

R...R-Really?

seriously, who's the faggot that decided this would be the new standard? I don't think I've even heard of a single person who wants the fn key in the corner
why are they never the same size so I can also physically swap them? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

u mad faggot

Apple does it.

Attached: gay.jpg (3328x1697, 412K)

damn, fucking pcucks (including myself) on suicide watch

meant to respond to

I think we're looking at the same one by the sounds of it. I went through that whole thought process too. Considering that the touchscreen only seems to come with WQHD I think it is a safe bet to say that it will be WQHD. I'll know by Wednesday either way looool

how do people use vim with that keyboard?

>implying they know what vim is

You forgot the subject, dumbass.

sorry user, have a thinkcat as consolation

Attached: ThinkCat19.png (880x594, 1.22M)

so now that linux is fucking dead what will you be installing on your thinkies?

I've always used windows on mine.

Bought a t440s for £200 the other day, It’s in decent condition and has 8gb ram and a 180gb SSD with the i5 4300u

It’s silent most of the time and seems very sturdy and durable, especially considering the S model of the t440 has the magnesium alloy chassis.

I removed the stickers but the case underneath hasn’t faded with the rest of the chassis over time so I might have to put them back as the color difference is annoying. The touchpad was initially oily but it’s like new again after using some polish. I think I’ve gotten good value with this laptop considering their longevity and it’s speed, the ssd + the i5 boot windows in about 10 seconds which is a big step up from what I’m used to.

Any thread discussing laptops is a Thinkpad general

>thinkies

loonix has always been dead, windows stronk

I think the reason behind this was so people could easily locate fn+pgup to turn the Thinklight on in the dark. Makes sense, since they're on opposite ends of the keyboard.

Attached: grasspad.jpg (2448x3264, 1.75M)

How is BSD support on thinkpads? Does everything work? What is the best BSD distribution for personal use?

They fucked that up on newer thinkpads, now its fn + spacebar.

I guess that sort of makes sense, but really how often will you benefit from this compared to all the times you accedentally press the fn key when you were trying to press ctrl?
also this, why not just making them the same size so you can swap them? are the people at lenovo taking retard pills?

x260 vs x1 vs x220?

It most be nice. being in space with no gravity.
How do you position yourself to use your thinkpad for extending periods without having neck pain or back pain?

Attached: 1464831051771.jpg (500x746, 79K)

is 40 bucks for a x200 a good deal?

Attached: IMG_0384.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 2.68M)

Does anyone use their ThinkPads for music production? I have an old X220 tablet that I want to set up to be a mobile recording rig. I plan on switching from Ubuntu to Windows then using Reaper and I'm curious if it will hold up.

>X220 tablet
I'm considering getting one, but a lot of /tpg/ seem to hate it.
What's your opinion about it?
I want something to use when I'm at my job -I stay there 3-4 days at a time- and use it mainly for browsing/watching videos/reading PDFs.

plenty people use them. i don't why it wouldn't
they get hate because you can't use a 9 cell battery and they're a bit heavier than the regular x220.

Attached: mqakbni8mli11.jpg (3968x2240, 653K)

yeah

Isnt the ram soldered on?

Overall it's fine. There's a major issue I've had where the cursor teleports all over the screen and clicks whenever it's charging (not when running off the battery). It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue though. I think if I could do things over I would have just gotten a standard X220. The touch screen feels very dated and I only really like it for drawing, which I don't do often.

>finally find a new owner for my baby right near my area, fellow thinkpad appreciator
>i see you are a man of culture as well...
>perfect buyer, knows how to treat and appreciate a good old treasure
>x220 Tablet i5 2520m
>he makes an offer of reduced price than I listed by taking out the ssd it comes with
>ok deal
>he puts in his ssd to test it out, some samsung ssd with windows 10
>battery was at 64%
>in the span of a few seconds battery goes to 0
>shuts down
>wat
>try again
>the battery was completely fucking consumed
>dude looks heartbroken, "i'm sorry bro as much as I want this I can't do it, the battery's a huge deal breaker for me"
>explains to me it's probably the battery burned out, the power management system in the battery or something
>also tells me win10 is supposed to even consume less energy
>also tells me he needs maximum voltage cpu because he uses heavy software
>understandable have a nice day
>no deal made
fuggggggggg

why do you think this happened /tpg/? Is it the battery? Is Win10 not supported?
I was using Win7 or some Linux distro the whole time and it was just fine ~3hrs lifetime.

Attached: 1516802188665.png (458x542, 206K)

anyone?

W520 usually comes with quad core, T420 is much lighter.

my experience with x220 Tablet having owned it for almost 8 months
>bulky, boxy, might be unappealing to you (or even appealing if you're into that aesthetic) (but then again that's most thinkpads)
>really great low budget option for doodling, really. (pic related) pen has pressure sensitivity, wacom drivers.
>the rotation of the screen and ability to lay it flat against keyboard is pretty nice
>nice keyboard
>you can choose IPS screen if you prefer
>was able to play visual novels, watch movies/animu, some low spec games (snes, etc), writing, multiple tabs, browsing, with very little to no lag
>specs customisable in general (like most TPs), thus can be pretty packed for an old piece (bluetooth, fingerprint, SIM card slot, etc)

cons
>bit heavier (and again, bulkier/boxier-looking)
>shorter battery life compared to, say, x220
>using the pen might cause scratches on your screen over time
>the pen accuracy obviously isn't 100% 24/7, it's nothing like an actual graphics tablet or something, but it's doable for what it is imo
>might start overheating. not sure if general TP series problem or especifically x220t. either way cooled it down with a nice cooling pad
>a little rarer than x220, so very specific parts MIGHT be harder to find, not sure

just my two cents

Attached: cabt.png (477x483, 131K)

I wish there were X220s near me; I'm getting some cash for my T430 this week.

Are thinkpads still the goto bang for buck choice?

Yes but for the first time in a long while it's worth it to buy new ones if value isn't a big concern.

I've wanted to ask about how does a thinkpad differ from the 'regular' laptop? My guess was that thinkpads were those old bulky laptops.

So, if you could tell my why I should buy one and what are thinkpads usually used for?

Attached: 383501main_iss020e037703_hires.jpg (3072x2098, 648K)

Is it worth to add spend more shekels and buy X270 instead of X260?

Those are A series, I think

Not really the upgrade is very incremental if specs are similiar, just about the only difference is that x270 has usb c but it is not thunderbolt so it's pretty much worthless.

read the OP...
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>pic related
cute
>fangfag
man of taste and culture
>wacom drivers
So linux support is good?
>the rotation of the screen and ability to lay it flat against keyboard is pretty nice
How's the screen orientation thing on linux?
>bit heavier
Can be used comfy in bed?
>shorter battery life
Not really an issue
>using the pen might cause scratches on your screen over time
Not a huge issue for me, I'm getting it as a burner laptop.

Attached: sample-1a3e9279bc40ed50fc887c4ad061344d.jpg (850x850, 128K)

i like how they look. there's just something to that black box aesthetics that looks cool.

Attached: x220-spi-raspberry-pi-in-screen-1280.jpg (1280x855, 136K)

Would buying a chink battery and re-celling it create something that lasts as long as an oem battery?