In terms of job potential, should I learn elixir w/ phoenix, or golang?

In terms of job potential, should I learn elixir w/ phoenix, or golang?

I don't understand why golang is called a backend language when there aren't any decent web backend frameworks.

I'm in an area that uses neither, so just tell me which language is cooler. (I fucking hate go, if that helps, but if it's job-y enough to outweigh elixir, ok den)

Attached: elixir_v_go.png (1200x400, 163K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mastercard.com/blog/the-vertx-worker-model
youtube.com/watch?v=iINk7x44MmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Learn Go because you can get to grips with it very very quickly and it's much faster to get started producing things with. The most basic backend framework for web is in the standard library itself.

Yeah, one of the big positives for Go is most deployment / cloud servers have support for it. I have yet to see Phoenix in a list of "what language are you using" on aws elastic beanstalk or whatever

Rust. Learn it now and thank me in 5 years' time.

Go if you want a job.
OTP jobs outside of messaging systems are pretty much nonexistent

Go if you want a job. Elixir if you want to start your own business and beat the competition that uses Go.

That's not lisp

Python or Javascript if you want to roll in cash

t. someone rolling in cash

Go doesn't require web frameworks.
It was made for web backends.
Everything you need is already there.

Elixir is small time. Erlang or Go. Go is C for poos but thats why you'll get jobs.

Elixir is literally syntactic sugar for Erlang. If you think there's anything Erlang can do that Elixir can't you should honestly stop talking about things you don't understand. Actors, supervisors, etc are all part of OTP.

Elixir is literally garbage on top of Erlang. Phoenix is a shit web framework for shit people.

Let's check you faggots' knowledge. You talk about Elixir, but do you even know what is its key feature. Hint: it isn't the fucking Ruby syntax.

When did anyone other than you ever mention phoenix?

Elixir's main feature is running on the erlang VM.
When did anyone ever mention Elixir without talking about phoenix? Never.

Macros obviously you faggot, gives you access to the AST

>Let's check you faggots' knowledge. You talk about Elixir, but do you even know what is its key feature. Hint: it isn't the fucking Ruby syntax.
fuck off back to Jow Forumsprogramming please, reading blog posts about it does not make you knowledgable on the subject.

None of them.
Learn Java if you want to work in the backend.

You mean Kotlin

>Java
>for any purpose
lmao

>powers large parts of google, most of amazon, netflix and alibaba, not to mention most of the banking/fintech sector
>lol java

>Java
>for any purpose
lmao

It's polymorphism, numbskulls. Erlang has (shitty) macros. LFE has (good) macros. Despite this, the lack of standard built-in polymorphism is THE problem with both.

You talk shit but you don't know shit. Why are you even sharing your opinions if you know less about Elixir than someone who has read the Wikipedia page would?

>java
>banking/fintech
KEK

This board should have been linked to /prog/.

>doesn't realize that goldman sachs, jp morgan and many MANY others all are extremely dependent on java
>doesn't know that even wallstreet uses Java

I'm sure they use a fuckload of java for infrastructure stuff, everyone does. Not actually financial related stuff though.

If there is a sector where Java is used everywhere that will be finance.

developer.mastercard.com/blog/the-vertx-worker-model
youtube.com/watch?v=iINk7x44MmM

>hurrdurr

Not him, but nice meme, fintech is pretty much dominated by python

>fintech
>python

>python
>in production for anything other than setup scripts

The absolute stage of Jow Forums. Please, if you are an undergad do not post about things you have no clue of. Your local "fintech" startup that hired you as a python pajeet does not mean that any succesful shop uses the slow ass python for anything important.

I'll say goland. Elixir / Phoenix aims for high concurrency and scalability thanks to Erlang VM, but unless you're Discord or some kind of service that has millions of concurrent users, there's little point. Plus, Elixir being a dynamically typed language kinda disqualifies it as a serious contender. Finally, in my area at least, there's very little job offers for Erlang / Elixir devs.
Go golang. Or Rust. I've done a couple of toy projects in goland, I'm currently learning Rust. Go is probably more mature right now for what it aims (mostly web microservices), but I see a lot of potential for Rust, for both backend and frontend (WASM, Yew).