Philips Hue

Anyone try these? I want to run some lighting in my soffits in a home theater and office, was thinking of giving Philips Hue a go.

Is it going to be one of those "system not found connection lost" every time I try to turn them on type of things or is it pretty robust?

Attached: 2018-09-17 07.04.55.jpg (4032x3024, 2.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=19jfor6s82k
github.com/kris701/ArduLED
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Picked up a bulb starter kit and some strips recently and honestly, It's been working perfectly. Had 0 issues so far.

Do you just use your phone to control it or are you using switches? Do you have to use their wifi switches or can you use Lutron-type, regular LED dimming, switches?

used both android app, their switch and some scripts using the API. Works ok, but wish the strip leds were more diffuse. Currently I point them towards a surface so if glows nicely, instead of too strong points of light.

Thanks. I'd have them on top of a soffit, so they'd bounce off the ceiling.

Phone and windows 10 app.

Botnet lights with inbuilt mic

I've had one for almost two years, two bulbs in lamps in the living room and one bulb in the hallway. The app works fine, also got one of the motion sensors for the hallway which works great for walking around at night and coming home.
Don't bother connecting it to a Philips account, you just give away data and open up your network unnecessarily. They lock the ability to turn on lights when you leave/get home behind the account, but you can accomplish the same thing with Hue Pro on android.

Also for your pic, the lightstrip works great but has a huge trailing wire. Ended up selling it after it was too annoying

Attached: bort.jpg (491x376, 39K)

Thanks.

The strip lights would go in a soffit so you wouldn't see the wire. I was surprised at the length also. Thanks for the tip on the Philips account.

Check out LIFX. Much brighter and better settings.

However, philips came out with a nice setup for syncing the light to your screen.

>paying 10000% markup so your light bulb can spy on you
Who the fuck makes financial decisions like this

I just use the lifX bulbs I think they make strips too. I've had them just up and stop working a couple times but they have warranties and the bestbuy or whatever protection is like 5 bucks, so even if it isn't broken a new bulb every year isn't bad for when they do wonk out.

I say lifX out of Philips, illumi, etc cause I've had the least trouble with them. I've had way more issues with the others, burning out after a few weeks, shitty apps, etc. from what I can remember I didn't have to register anything for the lifx or illumi apps, you can LIFX away from home since they go straight onto the wfi network no hubs or anything. Better brightness and colour range too.

Now if you are doing a whole house or a lot of things philips is more cost effective and you can get 3rd party apps for them that are way better than default.

Attached: we can do it.jpg (570x677, 50K)

oh, also the lifx's use actual metal and shit in their construction.

Thank you, I will look.

I thought they'd be much more expensive too, but if you compare quality led strip lighting to the philips product it's about the same money and has more functionality like the ability to have scenes and stuff. I bought one LED can light at best buy for 31 dollars this weekend, that's about the same as what I paid for my standard LED fixtures when I just did my bathroom.

Thank you. I'm doing a small house. It's like 2200 square feet. I'm doing regular LED lighting mostly, but for the accent lights I want to try some of this stuff. Most my rooms I've added soffits, so strips can go in there and a few spots by bookcases I think would be cool to sync with the soffit lighting.

yeah I'd go with LIFX in that case, they have a good internal warranty and I genuinely would recommend the insurance just so you don't have to deal with mail, all LED smart lights in my experience are extremely dodgy and while the light itself will probably continue to work, the smart or the wifi won't.

Can any of them be controlled though a web interface or an API?

I'm using my lifx lights on my phone and pc. Via pc you got it on your web browser.
On the phone you can connect the app to IFTT and into google assistant etc for voice control.

looks great thanks
youtube.com/watch?v=19jfor6s82k

I've been using these type of lights for about 6 years now, mine cost about $6 per meter of 30 LEDs.

github.com/kris701/ArduLED

Hue works with ifttt and other similar shit. integrates with alexa and google assistant if that's your cup of botnet.

just get a chink led strip

Why does everything with a wireless connection mean it's collecting data.

NP omae, hope you get the right thing for the job and enjoy it, and abuse the shit out of receipts until you do!

>hue