What's this electrical component?

Hello fellow autists, so me (doing hobby electronics) and a friend (trained electrician) are working on some 46 inch panasonic tv we got for a few bucks. We stumbled across that component in pic related that looks like a fuse. Neither he or I have ever seen this thing before. What the hell is it?

Attached: 1.jpg (2000x1500, 1.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

eevblog.com/forum/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

From another perspective

Attached: 2.jpg (2000x1500, 1.37M)

Bump in case of anyone who knows this thing

Is it a neon bulb?

Looks a bit like it, but why the hell would it be on the backside of the tv?

is it possible that it's used as a fuse?

It probably works like a spark gap

it's a butt plug for your cat

I tried Googling nipple electrode...it's not that...

neon bulb indeed
discharge of high voltage of the crt

also you would be better of asking a proper electronics forum
>>eevblog.com/forum/

its a spark gap

NO! they could have used the pcb if the wanted that
You can also turn the tv off and see it glow as it discharges the high voltage

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 174K)

Thanks a lot guys. Feeling so dumb now that we didn't figure this out ourselves.

Is there any way this thing might have gotten blown? Previous owner told us that he left the tv running when he was in bed and heard some sort of bang, but not that loud.

It's a plasma though, but probably still makes sense to have it in there.

Thanks I'll post further questions there

Oh so this thing might serve another reason?

YES!
all plasma tv's have these it does something with the charging/discharging the capacitors that I cant remember

you can see the two arrow spark gap symbol from here. It's a two wire spark gap, separated by an insulating plastic/ceramic spacer (the white thing) and incased in glass to prevent arcing to other components and people. The weird shape is just from where the glass was melted off the mold.

the only reason i think they serve is to discharge the high voltage but i don't know much about this stuff.
>heard some sort of bang
look for obviously physically damaged components and think why they failed

If its plasma one of the gas cells might have blown and it fails to turn on due to a safety cutoff. Alternatively, a cap blew or a MOSFET. Beyond that things don't usually go out with a bang.

Thanks, we haven't found any obvious damage on caps or anything. Checked the relays which give some strange readings that we are gonna replace and might as well the caps just to be sure. When attempting to turn it on you can hear the relays clicking once and then the backlight attempting to turn on but then stop. Power Led is blinking seven time and then stops. I really hope it's not a gas cell because I don't think that'd be easy to fix?

>not easy to fix
Impossible to fix

gas cell is impossible to fix. it'd need to be replaced if anything but you might as well buy a new TV at that point. if the power LED blinks in such a deliberate way then it's giving you an error code. you could google the model of TV and its error codes

Buddy ppl here will tell you its a way to install gentoo or some bullshit
Go to
for real help