Jow Forums Its time to return home

Jow Forums Its time to return home...

Attached: Bitrig-a-Fork-of-OpenBSD-Announced-2.png (728x390, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY&t=982s
youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
pdf-archive.com/2017/07/28/defcon-25-ilja-van-sprundel-bsd-kern-vulns/preview/page/1/
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html
bsdly.blogspot.com/2013/04/youve-installed-it-now-what-packages.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>it's time to kill your SSDs

>falling for the ssd meme

it works fine on ssds

>mfw downloading install63.fs right now
gonna be a bit to learn I think. hopefully ports has everything i need.

gonna keep SUSE for now, though.

It's easy to learn. Use packages, not ports.

(1/3)
OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
SSD TRIM is vital to supporting SSDs, as without it, they degrade quickly due to unnecessary reads and writes. Sadly, OpenBSD has decided not to support this.
OpenBSD also does not offer a modern filesystem option. You simply get the very old BSD "Fast File System" or FFS.
Why is this important? Because when most people think of a secure system, they think of being resistant to evil hackers breaking into it. But that's only one part of security. InfoSec can be generally split up into three components: Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability.
In this triad, availability seems to be the one that's lacking here. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
What are you even saying? That bitrot all of a sudden doesn't exist anymore? That backups are the one and only thing you should do and should not be supplemented by a more stable filesystem?
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
"ZFS is one big thing! Very not-Unix! Just combine tools, bro"
OpenBSD doesn't have logical volume management either. Even if it did, FFS doesn't have the checksumming, bitrot protection, etc. Even if it did, OpenBSD softraid doesn't support as many RAID levels as other operating systems' solutions. It's just a worse deal all around.

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

(2/3)
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really.
OpenBSD also does not have NFSv4 support even 18 years after its standardization. This is an issue security-wise because version 4 is the only one to offer authentication with Kerberos plus encryption with the krb5p option.
A common retort to this argument is that the NFSv4 protocol is "bloated", and that's why OpenBSD doesn't support it. Going off this, the OpenBSD project seems to think that authentication and encryption are bloat. Take a moment to consider that. It's certainly a very strange stance indeed, for such a "security-focused" operating system.
Let's of course not forget that OpenBSD lacks a Mandatory Access Control solution such as SELinux, AppArmor, or TrustedBSD, which provide benefits that are relevant to companies, organizations, and governments looking to better secure their systems and classified data.

Attached: no-sign-hi.png (600x600, 20K)

(3/3)
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
"but it's open source! Someone could just fork it"
Oh yeah because surely they'll be able to maintain the entire OS
Actually now that I think about it, that really depends on the person/organization that does it. And they might actually have some sense and be able to fix some of the issues listed here.
It's official. OpenBSD would be better off if it shut down and was restarted.
>C Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU C extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?
>Miscellaneous
OpenBSD's pf has inferior performance, as it only utilizes one core of one processor. GNU/Linux's netfilter firewall does not have this problem. Neither does pfsense.

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

How can one autist be so BASED?

So are we just fucked then?

ports are fun. watching shit scroll by makes you feel super leet.

install gentoo

The Chad OpenBSDer
The virgin spammer

Attached: 5534.jpg (1280x720, 53K)

If you decide not to install at the last minute, turn off your PC by taking out the power, absolutely DON'T do an ACPI poweroff or reboot, or you are gonna have a bad time.

>OpenBSD can't handle ACPI

What the fuck I was just considering switching over. Can someone refute this user?

Yeah, it's called the archive. There can see how many times people have responded to autistic spammers that post the same tired shit over and over again.

>Can someone refute this user?
they can't refute it. All they can give is some philosophical answer that basically translates 'well that's not our responsibility' or 'daddy theo said a thing'.

openbsd doesn't support rx560

Some random dude audited the BSD's and found they were full of security holes almost immediately and when he confronted them about it he was greeted with either silence, or told to fuck off. Just one of the many reasons I left that OS in the dust.

sauce?

>not using 9front

Attached: plan9.png (1280x800, 45K)

>not the poster but here
>youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY&t=982s

I use BSD almost exclusively but I don't have that attitude I like to know the state of my OS security wise. OpenBSD doesn't came to be vuln free but they do claim to be one of the secure which they are.

>claim*

He is full of shit, like all his FUD posts about OpenBSD.

>Some random dude audited the BSD's and found...

There was a researcher who did a presentation about the BSD's security holes, but the rest of that post is just a bunch of lies.

This is the presentation
youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
Here are the slides
pdf-archive.com/2017/07/28/defcon-25-ilja-van-sprundel-bsd-kern-vulns/preview/page/1/

Watch it, don't let some faggot who has some visceral hate for an open source project misguide you into a bunch of lies.

Some highlights:
>van Sprundel says he easily found around 115 kernel bugs across the three BSDs, including 30 for FreeBSD, 25 for OpenBSD, and 60 for NetBSD.

>van Sprundel told the audience. "OpenBSD by far has the most knowledgeable developers when it comes to security."

>For one thing, OpenBSD has a much smaller code base, around 2.9 million lines of code, compared to FreeBSD's roughly 9 million, and NetBSD's 7.3 million. "Obviously this plays a part," van Sprundel says.

>In terms of code quality, van Sprundel also praised OpenBSD code, noting that "low-hanging fruit like integer overflows are as good as gone in most places," and that "the most consistent quality was observed with OpenBSD."

>Theo De Raadt, the founder of OpenBSD, agreed with van Sprundel that more eyeballs on OpenBSD would make the operating system more secure.

>van Sprundel also praised OpenBSD's response to his bug findings, saying that De Raadt responded within a week, and OpenBSD patched the flaws within a few days.

See??

Where is the " when he confronted them about it he was greeted with either silence, or told to fuck off" this mentally ill person was telling you? Again, don't let that spammer and his other minions trick you with their FUD.

This garbage is also FUD btw

>everything I don't like is FUD
: the post

Attached: i-dont-like-thing-ok.jpg (500x640, 66K)

i need my CUDA.

niggercattle, fucking sack of shit

Take your meds, Terry

csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html

I would be using it if it supported ext4.
I can't reformat all my storage drives.

>ext4 storage drives

So I've been considering switching to OpenBSD for a long time before the CoC stuff happened, for reasons unrelated to the CoC stuff.
I have some questions for you OpenBSD users:

>is vmm good enough to use as a daily-driver virtualization system? can i virtualize a linux or windows desktop environment as with virtualbox or qemu/kvm?
>does openbsd support the nouveau free nvidia drivers?
>what is the difference between openbsd packages and ports, and how do they compare to a package manager like apt?
>is it possible to configure xenocara to have no screen tearing on intel drivers?
>does the sndio audio system work at least as well as alsa on linux?

Attached: kumiko.png (909x748, 440K)

no
dunno
yes. packages are binaries, ports are source files and compilation scripts
no idea
sndio is way better

While it is good software from your post it isn't what you are looking for for virtualization software.
Unsure but doubtful.
Packages are a stable snapshot of software. Ports is more rolling.
The package manager is really good.
Hmm maybe.
Sndio has no business being as good and simple as it is.

Honestly not sure if OpenBSD is what you are looking for but feel free to give it a shot.

They're not in raid so there's no point to use anything else

>what is the difference between openbsd packages and ports, and how do they compare to a package manager like apt?

OpenBSD's package system is alot like what voidlinux tried to emulate. Simplistic and separated into different tools (pkg_add pkg_delete... etc) It's fairly comfy.

>does the sndio audio system work at least as well as alsa on linux?

It works better than linux and is one notable area that openBSD is ahead of linux in.

Really the only thing OpenBSD needs is to improve smp performance, support a wider range of prog languages better, improve support for gpu drivers, and switch to a more modern filesystem.

After that it'd be pretty much the perfect OS.

What kind of software is on this? It seems to be the last non-cucked OS, but what can I do with it?

Attached: DB1UdEqUMAAX3KI.jpg (657x527, 50K)

TRIM is only needed on ancient SSDs from when it was first introduced. Modern SSDs have firmware that handle this for the OS now.

Thanks guys, that makes sense. OpenBSD sounds very promising for my use-case, but I want to hold off until vmm development progresses a little bit because running virtual machines is an absolute requirement for me.

I've been watching the openbsd-tech mailing list for a while now, and am sure vmm will become more mature in no time.

>tfw no web browser

A lot of those things are bad premises though, languages aren't openBSD's business, GPU drivers are outside anyone's ability, and filesystems aren't as big of an issue as constant bullshit writes that lots of badly written software is fond of (browsers)

This article explains quite nicely the difference between packages and ports
bsdly.blogspot.com/2013/04/youve-installed-it-now-what-packages.html

Maybe check out Oracle Solaris on SPARC.
SJW's ain't coming near that fucking shit.

SJWs > Oracle

SJW's > absolutely nothing in the universe

Just use cantrillOS

Maybe when they get a better logo

Is this version of Puffy better?

Attached: ppuf800X725.gif (800x725, 293K)

OpenBSD has the best logo (OP) but the fan art is pure cringe

this but unironically, no way im posting that neofetch on desktop threads. I'll stick to arch, thanks

Those lips distract me, how am I supposed to work with such an shameles, lustful and inviting mascot?

I kinda like the ascii of it, it hides the lips

>trim
Irrelevant, modern SSDs do not require this, it's implemented in the disk's firmware.
>filesystem
Comparing FFS (AKA UFS -- Unix File System) only to ZFS is pretty dishonest. It's comparable to the ext filesystems, which is what the majority of Linux users use.
>security
lmao, the only thing you could come up with is "if you install arbitrary software then it won't be as secure as the OS itself!" No shit you fucking retard, if you install some malware it compromises your system.
>OpenBSD lacks a Mandatory Access Control solution
Yes, it lacks botnet.
>they needed funding and almost couldn't keep the lights on
And yet they found that funding and are still here.
>all the rest
Pure brainlet FUD.

Reeks of CIAnigger desu.

Is this better?

Attached: 1537235274093.png (800x725, 597K)

Attached: 435374675.jpg (459x459, 31K)

>SSD TRIM is vital to supporting SSDs, as without it, they degrade quickly due to unnecessary reads and writes. Sadly, OpenBSD has decided not to support this.
Do other BSDs support TRIM?

>It's comparable to the ext filesystems
It's comparable to ext2

Now instead of kissing him I now want to suck his cock
Thanks a lot

Yeah whan I want an OS I pick the one with the morbidly obese fish mascot

Just surrender to your lust

Attached: tshirt-17b.gif (504x409, 63K)

Attached: 1537235274093.png (800x725, 603K)

I'm unironically strongly considering this now.

Attached: 50song.jpg (395x1210, 628K)

I TURNED MYSELF INTO A BLOWFISH
I'M BSD RIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKK

Meh. Nouveau, WAPBL, and HAMMER would all be great additions to OpenBSD. It just takes someone willing to do the work.

Given that the BSD variants are team green and have weak support for Ryzen APUs (a decent stopgap until we start seeing RISKV APUs in laptops), I think I’ll take my chances with Redox.

The source code of OpenBSD is really nice.

Psychotranny detected

>runs away from Linux because of CoC
>goes to Redox that literally uses the Rust CoC of all CoCs

Arguably the dumbest poster on Jow Forums.

>Redox
Where the language itself has a CoC attached to it.

not in two years

Why don't you try it yourself? Boot the installer, start the process and after you enter the root password, do an ACPI poweroff.

This thread is a prime reason /b/ is better than Jow Forums.

>no hypervisors
>no modern filesystems
>no anything
into the trash

Its time to lose SMP

Nvidia support when?

Yeah if you are a fag

>It's time to forsake bluetooth
no

>short 6-month release schedule
>only current and previous release supported
>in practice, only the current one
>you're entirely on your own for anything outside of the base system
yeah there's no way I'm running this

the fuck you use bluetooth for in 2018?

why is he so smug?

Attached: 1530308785346.png (800x689, 203K)

printers

Attached: 1509044354514.png (2481x2139, 378K)

at least he is not using fagbook

based and redpilled

>Given that the BSD variants are team green and have weak support for Ryzen APUs
thats freebsd, openbsd is the other way around

At least they have loli threads sometimes

BSDrones pls go