A deep discussion of OpenBSD and the blame-game

Since the apparent takeover of the Linux project by trannies, there has been a lot of talk about moving to other operating systems, with one of the main choices being OpenBSD. One of the criticisms of this OS is that its filesystem does nothing to protect against bitrot and data corruption in general. OpenBSD fans have responded to this by claiming that storage device makers are to be blamed for failures. Others have suggested that it is a result of 'bullshit writes' from large and bloated programs such as browsers.
To be fair, I agree that modern browsers are shit, but I've been noticing this as a trend from OpenBSDfags on here. Shifting the blame from the OS to someone else. It's hard drive manufacturers, and if it's not them, it's browser devs.
Pointing fingers doesn't solve problems. Actions do.
What can hard drive manufacturers do to make their hardware failure-proof? Is that even possible with today's technology? No manufacturer has done it in the history of these computer components. What evidence makes you think they can do it now?
What can browser developers do to fix their software? If they do not make their browsers as bloated as they are, 90% of the web will stop working, and that would prevent many people from doing what they want/need to do, since everything is done on the web. Perhaps there is room for a discussion on how the bloat got this bad and how to reverse it, but as it stands, the WWW won't be changing any time soon, and because of that, browsers can't change any time soon.
So it is clear that regardless of who should be 'rightfully' responsible for the issue of bits being flipped, there is only one party that can do anything about it, and that is the OS developers. Considering the situation that is going on now, it is my hope that OpenBSD sees an influx of new devs that can bring it into the 21st century, although it will require a re-evaluation of how people think about the problems that face it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Attached: 035LSTq.jpg (1920x1200, 91K)

My cheap Crucial SSD has wear leveling built in.

What is ZFS?

Something that OpenBSD does not have.

>What are your thoughts on this?
That we move away from the bulkshit UNIX and POSIX oligarchy and to the true white-mans OS, Haiku!

>Pointing fingers doesn't solve problems. Actions do.
No shit. Why do you think openBSD was the first OS to disable hyperthreading on intel processors? The hardware was unreliable, so they took action, then they scolded intel for their shit architecture, and it was completely justified.

Oh wait, that's right, facts don't fit into your little strawman narrative so you conveniently ignore them. Go try spreading your bullshit over at /v/, they might actually be retarded enough to buy into it.

I actually think they handled that situation well. Especially by disabling the feature so that the system was not at risk by default and not removing the feature, so that people who need it can still use it.

Doesn't Haiku have a single-user model? As in no permissions?

It is a desktop OS. Why would you want an OS that's for servers that just has desktop user (poorly) shoehorned in?

wait
is this anti or pro openbsd?
I can't tell anymore

Is not supporting shitty hardware a bad thing?

wait
is this anti or pro openbsd?
I can't tell anymore.

is SMT a good thing?

oh I dunno, maybe to prevent regular user processes from having free reign to do whatever the fuck they want. Could be particularly devastating in the case of, say, a compromised browser.

My only issue with OpenBSD is the SSD trim support / fs. How hard is to implement this stuff in the project? It would be a pleasure to help the project while learning something about kernels, my knowledge goes far as data structures in C

>is this anti or pro openbsd?
In the middle. Realizing that loonix gets absolutely fucked by this CoC and Linus indoctrination situation, we may have to consider OpenBSD, but being realistic about its flaws.
>Is not supporting shitty hardware a bad thing?
Yes, not supporing "shitty" hardware is a bad thing. Because there's no way that the "shitty" hardware can be unshitty (If you know a flawless hard drive company, lemme know)

>(If you know a flawless hard drive company, lemme know)
or even highly above average for that matter, expressed in a way that's not merely anecdotal

I installed openbsd as dual boot to try it along my arch and there doesnt seem to be much difference in my usage. However after learning about the nonprotectionist filesystem I cant afford to migrate fully. My files are precious and raid isnt an option for a laptop.

The lack of a modern filesystem is absolutely a problem, but OpenBSD doesn't have enough developers working in that area to build one. ZFS is very large and the CDDL is incompatible (OpenBSD doesn't support loadable modules anymore). BTRFS is GPL and incompatible. The only remaining option is porting HAMMER from DragonflyBSD. maybe Jow Forums will step up their game.
>inb4 logo

Attached: 1363926977077.jpg (936x936, 630K)

The OpenBSD people do the best they can do with their limited manpower and funding. They are not supported by megacorps and they refuse to be bullied by SJWs and trannies. It's a god damn miracle they have lasted this long and have produced such a great OS.

The OpenBSD people do the best they can with their limited manpower and funding. They are not funded by megacorps and they refuse to be bullied by SJWs. It's a miracle they have lasted this long and have produced such a great OS *for FREE*. They have my respect.

Linux getting a CoC may be ironically a good thing for OpenBSD: more people will consider it, and so will potential developers.

OpenBSD is a complete joke.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-18 g - g Its time to return home - Technology - 4chan.png (3596x1644, 793K)

This prevents neither bit rot or corruption at write time.
That seems like quite an oversight. I'd be very interested to hear why anybody thought that this was a good idea.
There's a lot of useful info about it on Wikipedia. TRIM is an ATA command but the OS needs to provide the device with a list of now-empty block IDs.
Hi Theo!

I've tried OpenBSD multiple times in the past, but I've always found the performance to be slow. Can't browse any websites or watch any videos. Is this just the way it is?

Sweety, ZFS is in every BSD except for Apple's.

OpenBSDs filesystem really isn't "outdated" especially since people will be moving from Linux which has the shitty ancient ext4 lmao
And no, btrfs is trash, Linux doesn't have a viable "modern" filesystem.

Replying so Jow Forums will step up their game.

Attached: 41647138_232909534043494_1071222043996848128_n.jpg (600x600, 42K)

>does not prevent bit rot or corruption
Glad I don't really care about this.

>just run it all at ring 0 with networking, bro
>t. actual CIA glow in the dark nigger

Hon, only FreeBSD derivatives have ZFS among the BSDs.

>Sweety, ZFS is in every BSD except for Apple's.
ok first off, what is with this sweety meme?
Secondly, you're wrong. ZFS is supported on FreeBSD and GNU/Linux (through ZFSonLinux), but not OpenBSD. I think NetBSD has been working on getting ZFS support. Not sure how far they've come, but if they have it, that makes OpenBSD the only OS of these four that doesn't support it.
I've heard this a lot from people, with a lot of explanations as to why. Some say it's because they disabled SMT. Others say that it's because certain components of the OpenBSD system aren't made to be run on more than a single core. Not sure how true that is, but I do know that OpenBSD's version of the pf firewall has this issue. FreeBSD's pf can use multiple, as can GNU/LInux's netfilter-based stuff, and idk about NetBSD

I want to use OpenBSD because FreeBSD is satanic and compromised

There is a reason people didn't jump ship to OpenBSD after systemd, and if you used it for more than a week you'd know why.

THREE THINGS
If OpenBSD can get just these three things working, I'll install it on every fucking machine I own
>TRIM
No, sadly controllers aren't enough. I like having the option to use a cheap chink SSD as a boot drive and the shitty controllers on those are garbage.
>KVM level Vitrtualization
This is pretty fucking essential. I don't think I even need to explain this one
>dmcrypt support
Many of use have many drives that are already dmcrypted. I know OpenBSD already has a decent FDE solution but I can't be expected to buy 20 more 4 TB drives, encrypt them with openBSDs solution, move 100TB of data over from my old dmcrypt drives, and then re-encrypt my old drives.
We need to be able to unlock, mount and have full R/O access to be able to migrate over to OpenBSD. ext4 is going to be enough for most people, but ZFS and BTRFS would be great.
BONUS
amdgpu pls

Attached: who-uses-freebsd.jpg (1280x720, 185K)

r/w*

Someone should just make a b ranch of it without the bullshit.

It seems that now that the SJWs have taken over Linux they are poisoning every well that looks like an alternative. The amount of FUD in OP is too immense to unpack, I recommend just avoiding it all together. OpenBSD has shown leadership in security where other piles of shit cannot hold even a candle to it.

The moment you branch away from it, you're going to get CoCed.

>performance slow
Some of it is because components of it are single-threaded (pf like you mentioned). I've been running OpenBSD on a system with an i7-4770R and have had no problems, videos are good, even Twitch in Chromium has been fine. Couple hiccups in both Chromium and FF but nothing more than half a second, only with a bunch of tabs open.
OpenBSD is extremely sensitive to your hardware in my experience though since the support is very limited.

>tfw alt-right is now asking why muh komputa does not werks liek in lunix at OpenBSD-misc only to get BTFO by Theo DeRaad

Attached: 1377740078_883415.gif (350x246, 857K)

only if you let it happen

>all those Jow Forums shitters ruining my comfy mailing lists asking to be spoonfed

I was lying guys, OpenBSD sucks, don't use it.

>I think NetBSD has been working on getting ZFS support.
It was OpenBSD and devs decided it's shit not gonna work with that.

>TRIM
maybe comig if somebody does the work

>KVM level virtualizing
Theo sayd no. So not coming

>dmcrypt
Theo said "fuck no" so not coming

Attached: 1519511823017.png (680x680, 430K)

>Theo said "fuck no" so not coming
why not?

Because softraid is better and if you want dmcrypt stick with linux faggot

Attached: e7b173283d94ef18dc86d22b58422ddd_XL.jpg (738x550, 142K)

>HAMMER
HAMMER2 is unironically one of the coolest filesystems out there right now. It's got the good bits of ZFS while also being simply and thoughtfully designed. I really hope it gets ported to more operating systems, because I'm not a big fan of Dragonfly's userland; I prefer OpenBSD's minimalism, it feels overall cleaner. And Linux has some features I enjoy, like VFIO and proper Vulkan/GPU support. So I'd love to see it ported to both these platforms. I don't have the technical expertise to make it happen, but I'm learning, and that's a target of mine in the future.
OpenBSD's lack of a good filesystem really is the only problem it has.