Just installed Haiku in a VM

Just installed Haiku in a VM
Wtf this OS is comfy asf. Can we all start donating to the devs so we can help them get out of alpha?

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=reopened&status=new&group=status&milestone=R1/beta1
depot.haiku-os.org
haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/attributes.html
haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/queries.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>It's comfy
Has there ever been a more 89IQ statement on this board?

Attached: 1527977590361.jpg (613x587, 11K)

i use Arch. it is the comfy distro.

i never tried arch but I tried manjaro once. it was pretty neat. I prefer to stick to xubuntu for linux
enjoy getting coc'd

Enjoy epitomizing the low IQ Jow Forums poster

You want this in charge of your kernel?

Attached: 1537215210722.png (669x899, 647K)

Attached: goalposts.jpg (640x360, 168K)

Neal Stephenson wrote "In the Beginning was the Command Line" in the BeOS standard text editor.

This but unironically.I'll donate to haiku, but I'll still be using Linux and of shit hits the fan I'll switch

Can it run Doom?

If i remember correctly its like 8 issues to reach beta 1

no programs yet alone games
just go full proprietary bro

BROS LETS FIX THEM

can I run GHC and vim on it?

please explain to a brainlet what's this OS's deal. And Redox as well if you're able. I can read the wiki pages but I don't know what it means in real life

It's just modern BeOS. There's a number of reasons to use it if you care about service-based architecture in your OS.

Both are possible alternatives to Linux which at this point is saddled down with baggage and bloat. Linux is probably also fully backdoored mandated by multiple governments.

Haiku and Redox-OS are leaner and fly under the radar.

Attached: Mike.jpg (978x640, 266K)

she's not in charge. this faggot just wrote CoC
unless linux code quality goes down and/or these niggers will let in other companies to put malicious code, it's fine.
IIRC Linus picked someone competent to replace him.

Sure. Dosbox and the chocolate doom source port is in the official haikuports. I don't know if more advanced source ports like zdoom work, but you can still go full vanilla.

it can run vim idk about ghc

>Can we all start donating
I'm sure YOU have donated already.
However "we" on Jow Forums usually means "anyone but myself".

>We should fork Linux
Translation: Someone competent should fork Linux but I want to take credit for the idea.

>We should donate to Haiku
Translation: Someone else should donate to Haiku but I want to take credit.

i donated 100 dollars though i like haiku
please stop bullying me

Attached: 1519996262996.png (589x863, 432K)

you did a nice thing and you should feel nice

I tried it yesterday and it felt like I teleported into a much less retarded timeline. It runs so fast on my laptop that it's like a new computer. It was very crashy but the way everything works seems great. All I'm worried about are the problems that would come with going even further into obscurity than with Linux. But since I don't play games anymore it might not be an issue at all.
Linux is close to my heart but I'm sick of all the foolishness. In theory I love the beautiful cathedral more than the bazaar, it's just that the so-called cathedrals we have today are actually cuck sheds that multiple generations of people have bolted so much shit onto that they happen to be as big as cathedrals now. The bazaar meanwhile has gone completely insane, and I'm not talking about any of the tranny stuff.

Faggot

Splendid. Please have a comfy pic.

Attached: 1508035154700.gif (399x399, 1.42M)

fuck off shill

Someone would tell me what's the advantages of Haiku over Void? Or vice versa.

|bin|cat :)

dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=reopened&status=new&group=status&milestone=R1/beta1
Most of there are technically already solved.

Attached: Capture+_2018-09-18-17-55-45.png (715x630, 104K)

Haiku has its roots in BeOS. Void is yet another Linux distribution. They are completely different.

Void and Linux in general are established and you will find stable software for most things.

Haiku is more raw, less software available but then again more fun to develop. Since it is rather uncommon there is far less malware against it out there.

Haiku is mega comfy... I think it was a bit of a misstep (at least in terms of retaining public interest) to stop releasing alpha builds for 6-ish years. Can't wait for the beta release though, which shouldn't be far off.

that bin is comfy as fuck

How good is their browser? Does it finally work?

It works. It's pretty slow in some websites and it has some weird UI bugs in others though. There's the Otter browser port as well.

I've taken interest in the OS, and seeing their available packages, it seems several browsers are available, including QupZilla and Qutebrowser

Fun to develop? I don't think so. While the c++ API is pretty, the fact that it lacks any decent IDE is troublesome. It's really hard to debug and the lack of intellisense requires you to memorize the code.

apparently there is QtCreator for it. I use this IDE daily for C++ and it's pretty decent on Linux. is it different on Haiku for some reason? Isn't QtCreator the best free C++ IDE outside of windows? and CLion runs on java IIRC, maybe it runs on Haiku via OpenJDK

Oh haven't tested that out yet desu.

>the lack of intellisense requires you to memorize the code
the absolute state of Jow Forums

Attached: 1535247109514.jpg (1024x830, 447K)

I can't unsee what I saw on XCode.

Attached: wallhaven-696758.jpg (1920x1080, 356K)

>XCode
what is this? I use emacs btw

It's Apple's IDE for making OSX and IOS software.

>needing money to develop a lignux distro further

Has g ever compiled some easy install distro that has every free OS?
Would like to set up on my upcoming ramdisk laptop.

Why donate to haiku where 9front should be the future of computing?

s/where/when

So I learned it has an integrated debugger. Testing.

Attached: screenshot1.png (1224x768, 307K)

Here we go.

Attached: screenshot2.png (1224x768, 81K)

How did you connect the various application windows together?

Holding the windows key while dragging the window in the tab. It works for tiling windows as well.

Also try CTRL + ALT + right/left click, it's comfy. Also.

Attached: screenshot3.png (1360x768, 376K)

Literally the epitome of DEs.

>Has g ever compiled some easy install distro that has every free OS?
The only thing I can remember Jow Forums has compiled are a couple of FAQs. Never any software.

That's pretty cute. What's the software base like? Driver support?

Is QEMU available at least?

Nothing tops it.

what we SHOULD be doing is stealing that comfy DE for other OS.

Well, it's not really possible to port it, at least not without an enormous effort and rewriting a lot of it. The windowing system on Haiku isn't like anything else I've seen, and it doesn't look to be compatible with Unix systems.

X window managers can arrange and resize windows freely according to whatever made-up rules they operate on
There are existing WMs that stack windows together using tabs

Not sure how well it worked, but ZevenOS (a dead linux distro) did it.

linus picked an activist, gregkh, to replace him. and the first thing greg did was, of course, to instate the insane tranny's CoC.

QEMU is in the package manager yes. You can look up your software at depot.haiku-os.org . It seems down tho, might be related to the beta preparations.

Attached: screenshot4.png (879x563, 45K)

How's driver support? Is it gonna fuck me over at every turn?

>not having features is comfy

Amazing.

RIP the only attempt is GTK's Haiku theme.

Drivers are limited. I think the Radeon drivers are the best one. But 3D acceleration is nonexistent.

It's worth noting that Haiku ports it's drivers from OpenBSD.

So it's got no drivers then?

Ouch, that's a real shame. It's a cute OS, but I do want my hardware to actually communicate with it. Shame Linux feels like such a fucking mess, and now it's been overrun by trannies. BSD feels dead. We need a saviour.

Their filesystem is amazing. It's basically a database and desktop search has advanced filters for finding your files based on properties.

come home white man

Attached: PSBSD.png (571x495, 51K)

Are you running that in a Windows VM...

>making project more popular so the normies can flood in and ruin everything again
You do realize you nigger that we don't have much opportunities left? What we have? Haikus and BSDs? If you are more obsucre then Temple and DOS but then what? We are done, we are hanging from the cliff.

what sort of properties? tags?

i'm actually always kind of dubious about database-like filesystems. i really should install haiku and get comfortable with it before passing any judgment

plan 9

this

Attached: 9frontcirno.png (1980x2058, 1.36M)

then what?

we live happily ever after in our pristine namespace

haiku is cool just by itself. but if you're thinking of switching to haiku because of the linux code of conduct you're fucking retarded.
as a matter of fact, if you are thinking that, just go back to microsoft, they'll happily take your money no matter if you're russian, taliban, nazi or mtf tranny sjw.

Hopefully by time the tranny hordes destroys Haiku (which I hope doesn't happen ever), that 9front is in a competent state.

>t. coraline

Back in the day two great warrior worms crawled out of the Apple; one was Steve Jobs who founded NextStep to build a new OS for Apple to buy and replace OS 9, the other was Jean Louis-Gasse who founded BeOS to build a new OS for Apple to buy and replace OS 9.

BeOS was awesome and Apple tried to buy it, but JLD held out for too much money and they fell back in NextStep instead, and that became OS X.

tl;dr Apple's OS was their second choice and JLD's greed is the reason we don't have a native 64bit designed-for-multicore OS on Apple hardware.

VM? You're trolling, you have to be. I'm not that goofy user with that goober win32 shell but that's clearly someone SSHing into a PS3 running BSD...

Attached: naw.gif (266x192, 201K)

There is no fixing it now, user. The instant anything becomes able to compile C, the "muh POSIX" grognards infect it with the GNU core utilities and then whine super hard that anyone might want anything which behaves differently.

"If we can dump the same shite userland everywhere to be instantly 'productive', what better computing can possibly be imagined"

>The instant anything becomes able to compile C, the "muh POSIX" grognards infect it with the GNU core utilities and then whine super hard that anyone might want anything which behaves differently.
This is so true. It's unfortunate that there's so many operating systems that reimplement the wheel.

>Haiku

Can't even into a modern compiler because this potato OS relies on GCC ABI details.

what's a modern compiler?

Okay, well BeOS doesn't use X. The windowing system it uses is totally different.

I fucking know that, you English-only piece of shit
It should still be possible to write a WM for X that gives you exactly the same window management behavior as BeOS

But that's not the BeOS desktop. It's a window manager that behaves like it. The Haiku desktop has other features like the tracker, menus, and tray items that pull the whole OS together. Any window manager for other systems that copies it will end up being a cheap knockoff.

Just kys, retard.

idk whats a computer tho

I'm not entirely sure of that. In Haiku you have other stuff aside the tabs, there's decorators as well, which allow you to modify entirely how windows look. They allow you to remove the tabs functionality and literally draw anything you want.

And decorators are individual external packages as well.

Agreed
Comfy is for kids

can you compile anything that requires bsd sockets on haiku

See haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/attributes.html

and haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/queries.html

it'd be nice if it was easier to use alternatives, but gnu is at least not a terrible option to be stuck with

friendly reminder to test the nightlies, not the old 2012 release, a lot has changed

Enjoy Windows 95 level of secuirty

any other suite of posixcrap is preferable to gnu

explain

>unless linux code quality goes down and/or these niggers will let in other companies to put malicious code, it's fine.
Yeah, the average user won't see even a faint change to anything. I'm not worried whatsoever.