What made dropbox so special? why people chose it over other cloud storage services like google drive...

what made dropbox so special? why people chose it over other cloud storage services like google drive, iCloud or OneDrive?
especially google drive gives 16Gb free space while dropbox only gives 1GB i guess.

Attached: ICloud.jpg (1024x1024, 178K)

The other services are shitty and full of buggy shit. Have you ever seen OneDrive have an autistic panic attack when it can't sync a file? Holy shit. The pajeets don't know which is their coding hand and which is their shitter hand sometimes.

Google Drive suffers from the same autism and spazzes out when you move large groups of files. Just poorly designed compared to Dropbox.

It was the first. That's it. People got used to it.

Wrong.

It's still the most robust sync experience and has the strongest and most stable software backend across platforms.

I believe Dropbox was the first to offer desktop integration, introducing a service to sync a local folder with the cloud drive
What it's true though is that now that all services offer that there truly is no reason to use Dropbox over any other

>why people chose it over other cloud storage services like google drive, iCloud or OneDrive?
Because it came pre-installed on most devices. This says nothing about the quality of their service or software.

iCloud is GOAT.

apple should give more free space at least to those who own their device

Pretty much the only real competition it had at the time were megaupload and mediafire.
The former got axxed and mediafire never really had good desktop integration.

Reliable sync (in my experience only syncthing compares and everything else is worse). Good UX. A referral program.

You don't get it because you think Dropbox is for file sharing.

It the fastest and more reliable one by far. Also still the only one with bi-directional block-level sync. Being free from any office suit integration that randomly replaces some of your files by web links doesn't hurt either. And it has a linux client.

what else it is for then?

Synchronization between your own computers and your computers and your collaborators'.

install syncthing

yes i knew that but you can do this with gdrive and i think rest of cloud storage services

It actually works.
The admin panel is easy to use unlike trash like OneDrive

FPBP

bump

Dropbox is the JustWerkz™ of cloud storage, but if I was gonna pay for one, I'd probably go with OneDrive because it's 1/2 the price and includes MS Office.

The way you can tell Dropbox is being smart is everybody ITT whining about how stingy the free tier is when it's the paid tiers that keep the servers running.

>why people chose it over other cloud storage services like google drive, iCloud or OneDrive?

Its ubiquity. Dropbox seems to be more universally compatible with more applications than any other cloud storage service.

just buy a small NAS server and install nextcloud