Andoid

Any users here ? After install phone is fully FOSS ?
What do you think about unofficial releases ?

Attached: LineageOS_Logo.png (240x240, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

download.lineageos.org/extras
microg.org
youtube.com/watch?v=tCvrT4GrbKQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>phone is fully FOSS
closed and PWNED hardware

Just don't put GAPPS and proprietary applications. You can compile it yourself as well, but there is no working around the hardware backdoors which exist unfortunately.

Yeah the phone isn't fully FOSS, but you do have more control over what software has access to what hardware than you would with a stock rom. Unofficial releases are fine. Just do your research on whatever rom you want to install. Coming here will largely give you jack shit for information.

>GAPPS
Yup don't install this. The package most commonly flashed on custom ROMs is misleadingly called OpenGAPPS. It's misleading because it's NOT open source but simply an install script for the binary blobs. There's microG as an alternative. It's open source BUT of course still communicates with Google. For apps try to use F-Droid as much as possible and for other apps use Yalp Store. Install AFWall+ and don't allow Internet access for apps that don't need it. AdAway for blocking ads. Root isn't included by default so you need to flash it as well and enable it in develper options: download.lineageos.org/extras

This hits the nail on the head

Attached: Instagram_carmelahabibi_1536640348889.jpg (1080x1350, 250K)

>Install AFWall+
You don't need this. LineageOS has a built in way to disable internet for individual apps.
App info > data usage > here just tick off the first 2 switches (wifi and mobile data)

What ?
Why the phone isn't fully with a custom rom ?

Thank you, what is the difference between opengapps and microg ? Why that's open source, if this is google apps ?

Only on lineageos ? Or on custom roms/stock rom

Yes. Stock seems to only be able to restrict background data. LineageOS has more control.
Don't know about other unofficial ROMs since basically only LineageOS is relevant, but MIUI (best non-stock ROM desu) has it too.

is the hardware open source
no.

is the company infiltrated by government agencies?
yes. this goes for all major tech companies everywhere.

OpenGAPPS is same as the Google apps that come with Android. It just has to be distributed separately since Lineage OS doesn't have a license to ship it with their ROM. For microG you can read about it on the website microg.org

Oreo has it. Custom roms are a meme. Fight me.

t. Enjoy your buggy phone

Librem5 amirite?

It's nice but release date keeps being pushed further in the future all the time...

>buggy phone
I'm not using a shit device which isn't officially supported by LineageOS.

i know fuck all about the SoC, like how it performs, whay optimizations the team has made on the OS, but the hardware killswitches for the radios is intriguing, last I heard they pished the date back to next year because of an issue they discovered in the SoC, which is apparently custom

It isn't though. They still say they'll ship in April.

Opengapps is just google play services. The naming is (un)intentionally misleading.
Micro g is a Foss implementation of the google play framework, so that many apps that depend on play services can be functional without it.

Yeah and it was January a while ago...

as stated earlier, it was due to a scheduling flaw in the CPU portion of the SoC, this is due to the fact that the tech used in the SoC is completely new

So install a custom rom solve the problem ?

There is a daemon on the background, so this kill the battery or save better than google apps

It has to run in the background in order to work. Battery usage is nearly zero my battery is at 33% and microg isn't even listed so it's used less than 1%. Should be lower than google play services since it doesn't collect data and send to google all the time.

I swear every time I try a new os or use new software I always see a thread about it the day later.

kinda spook

What turns an unofficial rom into an official one? I mean it's all community maintained so isn't it enough that a rom has been tested and works?

Someone got one plus 6 on lineage ?

Baseband processor is always listening so who gives a shit. You can't change the code it runs by flashing another ROM or changing the recovery.

So, for me there's no point in doing that, and nowadays every Pajeet ROM is so fishy I just use Lineage and that's it. No point in rooting as well since rooting messes up most apps I use anyway.

I am still on 14.1 (OnePlus 5).

thanks Jow Forums now I'm watching a pajeet so i can root my phone and get rid of android

youtube.com/watch?v=tCvrT4GrbKQ

Why rooting messes up most apps ?
So with upgrade a custom rom you upgrade kernel ?

>unofficial releases
absolutely haram and not to be trusted.
Official LineageOS ROM untainted by GAPPS or bust

So what is the best phone for lineageos

no, sorry. the firmware is lower than that

So what are the best benefits of a custom rom

>still decent display
>great DAC
>a headphone jack, obviously
>microSD card slot
>hardware buttons
>still pretty fast as long as you stay away from google botnet
>dirt cheap
who /comfy/ here

Attached: Screenshot_20180918-192054.png (720x1280, 109K)

>still decent display
Yeah, not really.
>still pretty fast as long as you stay away from google botnet
Not to any newer devices of the time. Even the S6 and the S7 will eventually slow down. You need an upgrade.

>Yeah, not really.
not flagship tier anymore, of course, but I'd take it over the LCDs that 3/4 of the mid-tier huaweis and shit come with
>You need an upgrade.
I don't.

What an ugly plasticky specimen!

Suit yourself. Thanks to Xiaomi among other manufacturers, you don't have to cough up a better part of thousand dollars for a flagship now.