Help? Linux?

Where does one learn about Linux and how to install it properly instead of Windows 10? I'm total noob.

Attached: images.png (225x225, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just grab a copy of centos and go at it

debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/

There's no point now user, you are 4 days late. I'll be joining you today.

Why does everyone say Linux is dead now? I don't understand I thought this was the real deal? Also whats a good Linux for a total newbie?

It isn't dead, Jow Forums and Reddit are sperging out again.

Linux mint works pretty well, if your adventurous you could try openbsd as well but don't accidentally wipe your HDD.

Thanks Ill check that one out, also how do you make it look so good? I see some desktop threads on here and the stuff you guys create is amazing.

That's called ricing, you'll have to get used to Linux first before trying that, but if you really want to dive into it go get arch Linux or Gentoo, but keep in mind you will probably waste alot of time ricing it.

Unironically install gentoo, gentoo is fast and you'll have to sift through documentation regardless of which distro to hop to. Most of the arch wiki can also be applied to gentoo( via where to put your startup scripts and what not.) Make sure you follow the handbook( this thing is a blessing) and don't intimidated op I was like you once.

Thanks, would the image attached be Gentoo? I absolutely love this, I'm a designer so that really scratches my itch.

Attached: 1537236702880.png (1920x1080, 590K)

Go to Linux Documentation Project and start reading. The site is old but still relevant.

Attached: prince-aoanew-facebook.png (1200x630, 913K)

Pop Os is alright too

lol
that's windows 10

Learn how to use it and customize it without breaking it first. Don't try to rice it on day 1.

that's windows 10 trying to look like some GNOME abomination

Just download the USB image of some distro, I'd recommend debian, Ubuntu or Linux mint or some flavor of these, and just use it for a little bit running from the USB before you install it

>total newbie
mint

Ubuntu or Fedora for a noob

>total newbie
If you want to learn, so that you could fix your system if something goes south. Try inatalling arch on a virtual machine. Read the installation page along with it and open tabs of the same wiki on topics you need. Most common ones will be how too get into the network with no gui, fixing/installing grub.
If you don't want to learn any of that, install Debian Stable, and read the Debian page to learn how to install or update applications, which is similar on every distro. CentOS also is a nice option but you will depend on third party repos.
Also a basic thing to know of you want to use multiple distros is to partition the disk. A tip I have is that the only way to move partitions is with gparted. Because fdisk and parted can't move the beginning of partitions, you'd have to move them with dd scripts.

You could always rtfm

Was total noob a month ago, installed manjaro i3 straight up went to rice it, came out to be pretty good actually.

If you like that, you'll probably like gnome.
Ubuntu comes with gnome by default, so that might be for you.
Manjaro might also be a good option, there you can chose which desktop environment you want when installing.
Apart from gnome, KDE and XFCE are also worth checking out.

Have fun

Reminder to OP and any newbie in here that GNU/Linux does not have a "look". Gentoo does not have a "look". Arch doesn't have a "look". You can make any distro look like any other distro.

Absolutely, but beginner distros have a default look.
They use a popular DE like gnome, KDE or XFCE and apply some theming to it.

Sure you can install i3 on Ubuntu and make it look like whatever you want, but a beginner wont do that.
For a beginner, Ubuntu will look different to Kubuntu, even though they are literally the same thing.

Go with Mint or ubuntu for a while. I suggest Mint. You will not stay at it for too long, but it is great for getting started with the feel of what linux is.

+1 for Mint or Kubuntu. If you actually want to learn, check out Linux Journy. Installing is as simple as using Etcher to burn an .iso to a flash drive and booting your computer from the flash drive.

If you don't know how to google these things you'll give up after a week. This is all easily available information.

Trying to learn linux with kubuntu is like losing your virginity with a very hot woman, whose pussy is covered in the spiciest, hottest, most brutal chili sauce that ever existed.
It looks beautiful and promising.
BUT THAT SHIT IS A DISASTER! I really struggle to name another distro that is supposed to be "beginner friendly" but has that many bugs, nonsense and literally layers of bullshit rendering it useless.
Stick to Mint or Ubuntu for a while. Installing them is easy and the amount of help you can get on the internet is fantastic.

I'd say you start with something slightly harder like debian so you can actually learn how linux works both underneath and above the hood

Why would you recommend anything but Ubuntu or Debian to a beginner ?

Just wanted to congratulate you on a successful bait.