Im about to install a linux distro

Hi Jow Forums im im been using windows for ages. in the last 4 days windows keep throwing that "this copy is illegal you dumbfuck" or something like that. so since i used some linux before and i work in a mac on my job, and i totally understood how useful a terminal is i think it would be nice to install a linux distro. I just need to know witch one to install. I need to be able to code shit to my uni and also be able to do some front end bullshit. i know im going to loose unity, and thats a bummer but im not buying windows so fuck it. So any thoughts on witch distro to install ? Thanks from a brazilian user. inb4 : install gentoo.

Attached: logos-distros.jpg (636x323, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

install openBSD

install gentoo

install akarin

Linux Mint gets my vote. Works.

noted. i will check this out. i saw some streamer using it it felt noice.
mind to explain why is it nice?
im too lazy for that.
i just saw this youtube video with this on it :"the most secure distro" is that for real ?

This

Mint Cinnamon/Mate, Xubuntu, Kubuntu. Try all of them and see which you like the best.

BSD isn't Linux. Don't waste time on it.

Its personal preference dude.
I would say choose one of the more popular ones, like
>debian
>fedora
>arch
>*buntu
Its my opinion that something that is too downstream isnt really worth it, and usually comes with some dubious practices. I.e don't go with mint.

I decided on Kubuntu after alot of searching and playing with other distros. It's a great daily driver and just feels comfy af.

GNU/Linux*

i thought mint was popular. that makes sense, i normally go with more conservative and popular stuff when im starting.

>mind to explain why is it nice?
Because it's Akarin.

There are a lot of popular distros that are trash. Mint and Manjaro are some examples of this. Neither have good practices. I highly advise you choose a distro from the list in my last post, and stick with it. You wont be missing out on anything by choosing a certain distro, unless you really know your stuff with linux and need to do something distro specific (which is rare).
The Jow Forums meme of
>install this, install that, this is better than that
is just that, a meme. Just choose one and stick with it.

>Akarin
damn son, im a total anime ignorant. hue. is there even a distro with that name to start with ? or is this just a meme ?

what do you mean by good practices ? like for coding a good os they fail on the "OS ISO" or some shit ? Is the code bad ? i dont get it.

You can still get ubuntu with unity, it's just in a separate project now

If you're willing to give KDE a whirl, I strongly suggest KDE Neon. It's a fork of ubuntu with the latest stable KDE releases. It's comfy as fuck.

noice i did not know that.

damn i think ubuntu has what i need. thanks guys.

i want to install my seieki in akarin's omanko

>mint
A while back they created some packages for the cinnamon desktop, but gave it the same name as another quite popular package. This meant it was quite a hassle to install the original. You could see this as a minor issue, but its more the principle of the matter. Good devs wouldn't of made this mistake.

>manjaro
Comes shipped with a gui tool for installing packages from the Arch User Repository, but the tool (pamac) is really insecure. AUR packages are just PKGBUILD scripts written in bash, so they can contain malware, thus its suggested you read them before installing the package, yet pamac doesnt let you do this.
Manjaros ssl cert expired, which is another security issue.

These are just a few examples, feel free to look into it yourself sometime.

DELET

lmfao enjoy your SJW cucked Kernel

だめですよ

Attached: 3183.png (622x570, 699K)

don't trust Jow Forums

Attached: spatry.jpg (922x592, 107K)

Slackware or devuan, perhaps?

>installing linux

Attached: JUSTFUCKMYKERNELUP.jpg (810x708, 135K)

OP here. thanks on the halp. i guess i need to make this desktop more comfy mind telling me what should i install to make my desktop look cool ?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-19 00-03-01.png (1600x900, 415K)

No problem OP.
Personally, i fucking hate gnome. If you like it, by all means keep it, but if you dont, you can always google a list of linux DE's and install another one (you can swap them on login). I dont know about you, i just think it looks a bit like a tablet UI.
You can look into gnome tweak tool and gnome extensions though. That being said, gnome isnt super rice-able.
extensions.gnome.org/

>i just saw this youtube video with this on it :"the most secure distro" is that for real ?
Yes
>BSD isn't Linux. Don't waste time on it.
That's precisely why he should invest time on it instead of a cucked toy project

>debian testing instead of ubuntu
>vanilla gnome or specific extension (don't make a win95 clone, you can if you want)
>use an adblok
>soak in the terminal
have fun

Attached: gnudebian.jpg (371x323, 49K)

Attached: installguixsd1524902247500.jpg (1000x1000, 1023K)

start with ubuntu budgie or mint, both are great general purpose.

Do you have any specific use-case in mind user? What do you usually do on your computer?

Also" don't do gentoo, don't do arch, these are new newbie friendly and if you're asking this question you are a guaranteed newbie.

>ubuntu
enjoy the bloat, you should've installed lubuntu, it is lubuntu with lxqt (lightweight and looks more like windows which is what you're accustomed too).

Attached: why.jpg (599x448, 29K)

look up themes, styles, and icons.

if you need to ask which distro to install then install ubuntu and lurk moar until you know which distro is the right one

p.s. it's gentoo

>That's precisely why he should invest time on it instead of a cucked toy project
Both BSD and Linux started as toy OS's, you retard. BSD started at Berkley and was made by fucking students. Shut up about shit you dont know anything about.

Don't listen to this faggot, OP, you will get nothing from installing another distro

>bloat
If you care about this, you're a poorfag with a tiny HDD

>installing tranny OS

Op her thanks guys. it will be a non traumatic transition i guess. i just need to install vscode and unity 3d and im all set. inb4 : botnets.

Attached: Workspace 1_001.png (1600x900, 1.16M)

install LFS

ubuntu or mint, just do it

get a chromebook instead

already did it. im on ubuntu.

>discord
>steam

Attached: Untitled.png (500x500, 522K)