/alt/ - Alternatives to Linux Thread

ITT: Discuss projects that could make for valid replacements for Lincux, at least in the near future.
>Open/Dragonfly/NetBSD
>Haiku
>Greentea OS
Feel free to list more

Attached: wVzticM8ClVzAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png (310x163, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openindiana.org/community/code-of-conduct/
sel4.systems/
genode.org/news/sculpt-for-the-curious
genode.org/documentation/general-overview/index
genode.org/about/index
genode.org/documentation/articles/trustzone
9front.org/
bitbucket.org/henesy/disco
wiki.osdev.org/Getting_Started
github.com/tbodt/crocodile
twitter.com/AnonBabble

openindiana, ungoogled fuchsia (illegal fork).

>openindiana

openindiana.org/community/code-of-conduct/

What if your alternative to Linux actually becomes big and successful? What will you do when the SJWs come after that next?

Haiku seems like the bes alternative to me. I’ve been playing around with it a bit in a VM and it’s pretty neat. It’s DE is really neat and the way it implements your email inbox into the filesystem is pretty cool.

It just seems to be lacking a lot of software as lf right now. Hopefully the soon-to-be-released beta will get Haiku on the map.

OpenBSD obviously.

I don't see Haiku being realistic given it isn't UNIX-like.

Attached: LIBERATORS.jpg (906x1330, 370K)

>>ungoogled fuchsia (illegal fork)
Illegal? I thought it had a MIT license?

>Core principles and expectations:
>>We are respectful and appreciative towards peoples work, time, and effort.
>>We are tolerant of the right to have opposing views.
>>We recognize our public actions determine the public perception of the project.
>>Participants must ensure their language and actions are free from personal attacks and disparaging personal remarks.
>>When interpreting the words and actions of others, participants should always assume good intentions.
>What will not be tolerated:
>>Open hostility, and or abusive language.
>>Repeated complaining (rehashing) of closed (decided) issues.
>>Participants who disrupt the collaborative space, or participate in a pattern of behavior which could be considered harassment.
>>Filibustering – (replying with negative or opposing viewpoints to every post in a mailing list thread).
Doesn't seem very pozzed to me. At least it doesn't mention anything about race or body size or gender identity.

>or body size
it should by the way, guys with medium sized cocks are the best programmers.

GENODE

The only OS with a mathematically-verified secure kernel.
Info on the kernel: sel4.systems/
Download for Sculpt for The Curious: genode.org/news/sculpt-for-the-curious
Info on Genode: genode.org/documentation/general-overview/index and genode.org/about/index

Attached: unhackable-kernel-sel4.jpg (982x552, 60K)

This board is very gay
[spoiler] I love it! [/spoiler]

i can't run my games in a microkernel

>muh gaymes
Do you realize that games brought in the type of people you're running from? It's no coincidence steam for linux came before this shitshow

Running Genode in my trustzone
Unhackable secure microkernel
RK3328 Quad-core A53 immune to Meltdown/Spectre
genode.org/documentation/articles/trustzone
>Not really, but I can dream

9front
9front.org/

it's what unix should have been

Attached: __cirno_touhou_drawn_by_sasa_kichi__5d69dcfaf09140fdf138e1a4db5c7e6f.jpg (730x973, 58K)

This is a good point. But the biggest issue was Linus falling. We need to build around some autist that doesn't give a fucking shit about anything but making it high quality. Video games will help bring the normies over, which is what we actually need. However, whatever we stick to next will take a few years of development before we can even dream of normies coming over. During that time period, we will need to create a good fucking system where this shit can't occur again.
I'm going to pick something, it could be this. But I'm probably going to build my own operating system. I have schizophrenia, so you guys will back me up, right?

What do you look for in an OS.
I mainly follow communities i think i can learn from.

Attached: 1536604777612m.jpg (768x1024, 104K)

>I have schizophrenia
Please work on TempleOS. Terry is gone and it needs a new leader.

God won't speak to me. But perhaps I can do something in Terry's honor.

Only use the OS who's OS-tan has the largest breasts.
Though I guess that's CloverOS

Attached: XP-Tan.jpg (519x641, 53K)

>given it isn't UNIX-like.
Of course it is, you stupid cunt.

OpenBSD seems like the right choice in my eyes.
It already works, the dev is a great guy.
Haiku is C++ sadly, which I don't want to develop for, and my main programming languages won't work on it.
Plan 9 is great, but without anyone writing a working webbrowser (or people at least actually using alternatives to the web) and something like ffmpeg, it will stay useless.
My OS needs at least be able to play anime and support Jow Forums and some other chans in some way, and Plan9 can't.

I have to agree with you here. {open,net}BSD are the only two options I've been steady on. I might swap over to openBSD and work from there. I really want to use Haiku, but C++ is going to be a HUGE turn off, I think. It would be really neat to create a browser that doesn't suck though... I mean, look at what we have as options.

They also don't mention anything about daddy, so they're okay.

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Anything that uses the NT kernel is a pretty valid replacement for linux

What's wrong with Haiku being made in C++?

who says a system needs to be Unix-like? BeOS was a fully functional environment for years.

I disagree to a point. Why do we need "the normies" to come over? That doesn't affect the functionality of an operating environment.

I fucking hate you right now.

We must write an anti-SJW CoC.

I don't personally have a problem with C++. But there are a lot of people who absolutely abhor C++.
The more popular something is, the easier it is to get hardware (see: AMD) to want to support us. I mean, we don't NEED it... But it's made leaps and fucking bounds. Plus, Jow Forums isn't exactly brimming with competency. We'd just have about 10,000 logos and 4 people actually working on writing code.

win7/win2000/win me

Kek.

I'm really interested in Genode Sculpt EA. Anybody used it yet?

Debian GNU Hurd

Install Genode.
That could be the next meme easily. Although...Learning vim seems like a chore. That's like 5 years of emacs down the drain.

Please tell me the truth about what happened to Terry Davis. I can't believe that he randomly decided to suicide-by-train.

true that. there's probably 4 people on Jow Forums who have ever done kernel dev. i'm not one of them.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1536967916862.jpg (1704x2272, 850K)

no retard i'm referring to Linux as in Linux kernel

There is nothing wrong with it using C++. Stop being Cnile.

Yeah, I'm an emacs user too.

Might not be too difficult to port depending on how POSIX compliant it is

MX Linux 17

I'm going to install Haiku tomorrow when I get back from work. I'm only vaguely familiar with it or BeOS, but I'm curious. Apparently it's "mostly" POSIX-compliant, and they've ported LibreOffice as well.

Haiku is amazing. Shame you can't run on anything modern.

>I don't personally have a problem with C++. But there are a lot of people who absolutely abhor C++.
Old C++ was so awful that even Straustrup came to conclusion that they need to cut things out. 11 and further it's actually shaping to be quite useful with less bloat and shit.

pirated windows

What's wrong with NetBSD? I've never seen anyone using it.

Who gives a shit, fork the code and give it a new code of conduct. voila

Modern C++ is actually pretty nice.

OpenBSD is nice, even as a desktop OS. I do some Qt development (with C++ obv.) and it's comfy. It has the latest versions of Qt, Qt Creator, LLVM, etc.

9 GANG 9 GANG 9 GANG 9 GANG 9 GANG
Plan 9 has a discord port too!

Attached: ninefwont.jpg (1936x2592, 725K)

>doesn't even have a competent web browser
>claims to have a discord port
poast proof.

bitbucket.org/henesy/disco
its easier to make a discord port than a fully functioning web browser. also, if it can't run on mothra, then it was probably shit anyways.

Attached: 9.png (800x599, 107K)

I don't disagree, but I feel like a competent browser (one that can handle those shitty websites) should be a somewhat high priority.

This is neo-Jow Forums. The same ones who complain about Jow Forums. Pls go back.

just use charon, it has basic js support but lacks css lol. if that isn't your cup of tea run openbsd in a vm to browse the web i guess.

Attached: cirno.jpg (480x480, 27K)

FreeBSD
but it's nfn

FREEBSD SUCKS

it's nfn
NOT FOR NERDS

ITS FF
FOR FAGS
*hugs*

Who would make a OS-tan with small breasts?

FreeDOS.

Come home, white man.

I want Night Core done.

Yeah, on a VM it works, but on my laptop I get a black screen after it loads and on my desktop it freezes minutes after boot.

>the screen tearing
maximum kek

it's the beginning, silly. it's the wedge they got in. now they can police kernel contributors and get them kicked off and replaced by full retard leftists. linux will become what firefox is now. unusable shit that's more about politics than good tech

Maybe this actually deserves a thread, but you're a fucking retard if you think 'just fork it bro' will work.
The contributions will go to the linux foundation maintained fork. No company is going to ever contribute their code to your fork, because it would be bad publicity for them even if it was mildly popular (protip: it won't be).
You can naturally just add everything to your fork, but what is the point of the fork if it's 100% the same.
Your commits won't get accepted into mainline, you will 100% be dependent on what the linux foundation wants to do.
If you try to stray from their path, maintaining your changes will become harder and harder, and one day impossible.
So forking is not something that is in any way realistic, or will practically be the same as just not updating your kernel.

What we need is a minimal system that works for us. OpenBSD or Plan9 are good candidates.

>$(date +%Y)
>linux is dead
>wiki.osdev.org/Getting_Started
>not making your own os

Attached: screenshot.png (1211x664, 124K)

Haiku is Unix-like. It's not entirely POSIX compliant but it's close enough to port Libre Office and it uses Bash as the default shell.

writing a kernel is the easy part. the tedious work is in drivers

it's FUCK you with FORK

How is the package availability/possibility to install gnu/Linux packages?

While we're at it, TempleOS has a Discord client too: github.com/tbodt/crocodile

Attached: terry jojo.jpg (640x480, 83K)

Discord killed Terry

if only wine worked OpenBSD. I just need osu and runescape, for anime abd web browsing anything is fine. is Dragonfly any good? wine seems to work on it

How the fuck to install Plan9 under Libreboot at me old Memepad x60?

At my*

>But there are a lot of people who absolutely abhor C++.
That could serve to be a SJW deterrent

>greentea OS
im trying to escape the CoCk bullshit, not fall under a worse CoCk

No one gives even 1nm of a shit about your opinion. Get out. It's not about me or you, but on a larger scale. A lot of really good programmers hate C++. It's not my fault or problem, I'm merely stating why it's an issue. Dumb fuck nigger.

SJW dont work for fun, they work for "the cause". They wont be deterred by mild discomforts.

My last post in this thread, just because it's good to stop discussing and get to working.
The real deterrent will be when the owner(s) of the project don't give a shit about politics or "social issues". This keeps the sjw away.

It doesn' work

Richard, shouldn't you be working on Hurd instead of interjecting shit on Jow Forums like an autistic has-been

I've unironically started writing my own bootloader

>a hipster os
ahahahahaha

>a lot
Linus? some other freetard that thinks C is superior?
>really good programmers
none, then

Perhaps host the development from a TOR node?

Linux is a modern operating system
But doesn't support Finite element anaylsis software.

What did they mean by this

To succeed one should probably make a Linux fork or something that is Android compatible.

there will be no replacement for the 3 major OS even linux itself is hard to replace windows and os x, don't even try

Works well for me, tell to your mother to buy you a computer, here a dime, boy.

So much fucking this. When will autists learn to accept defeat and give up already! Windlws and OSX is the only economically viable OS's in existence, and nothing can change that. Stop looking for escape or you will be fucked and called a terrorist.

>No one gives even 1nm of a shit about your opinion.
Apparently you gave enough shit to reply.
>It's not about me or you, but on a larger scale.
True. It's about which language is objectively better and gives you more functionality.
>A lot of really good programmers hate C++.
So? A lot of really good programmers also use it. Also, the former all gave horrible arguments as to why they hate it.
Cniles are just this delusional.

yeah. give up, guys lol. too bad about the sjws. Oh well, guess we can't do anything about it. It's not like hard work and dedication can really do anything. JUST LET THEM HAVE IT. JUST GIVE UP. DARN IM SO UPSET I COULD JUST INSTALL GENTOO A SECOND TIME TODAY BECAUSE I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS AND LOVE TO POST ON THIS BOARD EVEN THOUGH THE MODS KNOW I HAVENT POSTED VERY OFTEN AND NOT PAST THE 12TH OF TWO MONTHS AGO BUT HEY WHAT DO THEY KNOW I WAS JUST LURKING THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS AT THE VERY MINIMUM
shut the fuck up.

The reason there wont be any major alternatives is because people expect too much from their computers these days. Yes, if all you want is a computer to be a word processor then FreeDOS is an alternative, but that's not what people want from computers these days so FreeDOS is not an alternative.

I shit on their expectation. They need to have all.
I don't care, they will choke in the ocean of their incompetent expectations i hope.

seabios payload?

i'm going to test it on my old dell mini 9.

>They need to have all.
That's my point. The demands have changed, and because people want so much then only the platforms with enough man-hours to keep up will be viable. Think about how much work is done on web browsers these days for an example of this.

I know. And we know about 4k screen mobile phones, and AR-VR programs, ML in fricking phones, and stuff, just to make the life a bit easier, but it involves so much complexity, nobody can see trough.
Terry warned us.

You just need to develop network support for templeos