Which OS is better for PC gaming, Linux or Windows?

Which OS is better for PC gaming, Linux or Windows?

Attached: win10_xbox_devices_web.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 107K)

windows 7

What a stupid question. Neck yourself

Nice bait m8.

Attached: thisisbait.jpg (625x626, 20K)

Depends what you mean by gaming.

Attached: i-003.png (1125x1600, 1.78M)

Technically it should be GNU/Linux since Linux is better at utilizing hardware than NT, but unfortunately game companies prefer money, so Windows is better.

It used to be forget entirely about Linux when it comes to gaming, but with recent news its starting to seem more usable. Totally not 100% but Linux is making its way there. And it really depends what games you play too. For me dark souls and other games are a pain on Linux I heard. Stick with what you know or try giving yourself a taste of linux

OS X

Windows 7

As a devout Windows hater, I can tell you the answer is clearly Windows.

Linux has made massive gains, but Windows is obviously the choice for gaymers.

Now stop it with your shitty bait and go and do something useful.

Theoretically, Linux.
Practically, Windows.

Linux can be better, and is making strides, but isn't there yet.
Windows is currently better.
If you want the best of both, buy a second GPU and do PCI passthrough so you can main Linux, and use Windows without rebooting whenever you need it.
Now fuck off back to

Attached: 1506653779336.png (680x719, 506K)

Steam OS

I fucking love gaming! Linus Tech Tips for the win \m/

FreeBSD by far

Attached: ps-os.jpg (940x507, 141K)

Deez nuts

Windows has been always the one. No need for hacky shit, there's perhaps a few older games that don't run all that well, but can be fixed. And anything newer of course. Also, gamepad support is just better. You can make any gamepad behave like a 360 pad, which is what works with most modern games. Installing a DS3/4 on Windows is a fucking breeze. Also good hardware support such as gaymen mice, you don't want any input lag, acceleration or shit like that.

Linux has been getting more and more support from different developers but when it comes to anything that feels like it belongs on a console instead... well, buy that console, because linux shits the bed. Also lower performance on many titles, but some just run as well as they do on Windows. Specially anything native, there's barely any difference. Gamepad support is... not as good as many say. You can definitely emulate a 360 gamepad, but it takes some setup that is a pain in the dick. People will claim some gamepads just "werk" on linux but that is simply false unless the games specifically support your shit. I couldn't even manage to set a dualshock 3 to work wirelessly with xinput. Mice work "decent" but also require quite the setup, more than just unticking a box.

macOS is convenient, but probably the worst. Has some support for specific games not available on Linux, but its performance is quite lower. Games with wrappers require a much beefier build to get the same results as on Windows. Graphically it is just that unpleasant. And it feels like it´s losing more support left and right from developers and ending up with smartphone tier games or just cheap indie titles that can run on old netbooks. WINE exists on the platform but it performs definitely worse as well. Controller support is either plug and play or don't. No option to emulate a 360 gamepad other than with Steam. However, bluetooth pairing works just fine. To remove mouse acceleration you have to run an application in the background (ExactMouse).

Shockingly steam/proton has worked great for me.

If only. I bet my ass many people would switch to that shit.

Dark Souls 1/2/3 all work out of the box on Linux with Steam/Proton. DSFix takes a single line change in a config file (in addition to the normal install) to get working.

The only game worth playing is on mac too. So, osx.

Attached: C837657C-F588-4D3D-9432-71900A937F11.jpg (1407x922, 152K)

bf5 and bo4 look shit. about to finish playing all the bf1 maps I got for 9$ then ditch origin and battle.net entirely (was foolish and brought overwatch on pc its a console game)

steam 100% and Linux will be my future I think I want to format soon but win10 LTSC 2018 doesn't support raytracing so I may as well go Linux. 10% performance loss doesn't bother me I don't care my games run at 129fps instead of 144fps I play on 120hz any way.

If only they used the GPL so the regular users could take advantage of that.

Xubuntu GNU/Linux + Proton

>Xubuntu
You mean Ubuntu, right? The DE doesn't change the distro.

If you force your self to use Linux you'll work around the issues for gaming.

Out of box though windows has much high comparability for games.

No, I mean Xubuntu

What's the difference besides the default DE?

Nothing, but say "Ubuntu with Xfce DE" sounds retarded

Just say Ubuntu, it doesn't matter what DE you use. It is an insignificant part of the OS.

Typically I'd say whatever is easiest for you. Being able to run your favorite game on your favorite OS is always ideal.

I prefer Linux, but I can't escape needing to launch Windows to play League of Legends.

But the defaulf DE sucks, I don't want recommend that shit.

You can install other DEs and use them, moron. You don't need to download a disc image with the DE you want to use.

>League of faggots
>not instead playing glorious defense of the russians

Attached: Byallah.jpg (720x528, 50K)

>but unfortunately game companies prefer money, so Windows is better.
That isn't a trait of the OS. That is a trait of the game devs/publishers.

It was Linux until last week.

I only play dark souls recently and it works fine on linux.
At least DS3, haven't tested others yet. I'll try DS1 Remastered soon

The original dark souls works. I didn't bother trying any of the others since only dark souls and demon's souls are worth playing in that series.

Linux has serious issues with shaders. Dragon Quest 11 is a fantastic example of this. Any time during your session when you encounter a new shader it will stutter as it compiles

SteamOS

Attached: 1537283283894_1.gif (500x281, 772K)

mate ds3 is great, especially with the expansions. ds2 is the weakest in the series, but still pretty good

DS3 felt more like a combat game than an adventure game. I can only travel down a straight path to roll around a boss arena with an erratic, flailing opponent so many times. It's not what I liked about the series.

ds1 isn't that open either. Sure you could go straight to the abyss at the very beginning, but 99% of the players will first go to undead burg.
It has this nice world design with paths that lead back to firelink shrine, but apart from that it's not much different from ds3.
most areas in ds3 are quite open and have different paths to the goal.
And for me boss fights are the most fun part of the game, and on that front I feel like ds3 has the best ones.

>Sure you could go straight to the abyss at the very beginning, but 99% of the players will first go to undead burg.
Why does that matter? 100% of players in DS3 will go to the high wall of Lothric first. In DS1 you could go to undead burg, the catacombs, new londo, blighttown, darkroot garden, undead parish, darkroot basin, valley of drakes, the great hollow, or ash lake without fighting a boss.
>most areas in ds3 are quite open and have different paths to the goal.
No, they have diverging paths that either stop or circle back to the main path.
>And for me boss fights are the most fun part of the game, and on that front I feel like ds3 has the best ones.
I like boss fights, but I don't like rolling around while the boss flails at me with fast, long combos. My favourite bosses are ones that can be defeated with many different strategies.

You should first think, what's the easiest to develop to?
A lot of indie devs just want to do it, they don't want to learn Vulkan API and OpenGL and Direct3D and DirectX and whateverrrrrr.

Launch up visual studio and:

Game.MakeGame(Pajeet.out())

definitely gonna have to go with gentoo on that one m8

Nah, that's an unfortunate result of the game not actually being developed for linux so that shaders need to be re-calculated by a third party (you) every time software in the graphics stack changes. Of course that wouldn't be a problem if the game is native and not fucking daisy-chained behind seven wrappers.

PS4

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is likely in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. While systemd is not an operating system unto itself, it is a major component of most fully functioning “Linux” operating systems made useful by the fundamental systemd building blocks such as logind, networkd and udevd, as well as the main system and service manager.
Most “Linux” users run a version of the systemd suite every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of systemd which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is mostly composed of the systemd suite of software, developed by Lennart Poettering.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the systemd suite of software. The whole system is basically the systemd suite with Linux added, or systemd/Linux. Most of the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of systemd/Linux!

Yes but can I play crysis on it

>knack

so i can play all my pirated games on lelnux? or am i forced to stick with wangblows 7?

Attached: 1505061467194.png (1067x800, 651K)

You can play games on non-systemd linux user

You can do that retarded shit or you could grab Xubuntu immediately.

>Linux is better at utilizing hardware than NT
This is a complete fantasy substantiated by nothing.

Exactly, and they're right.

Based. MOBAs are garbo tho, play sc2 on wine or die.

Linux as a OS is fundamentally better because it uses way less hardware resources than windows, leaving more resources available for the gaymen.
The problem is support. Linux used to have serious drivers and compatibility problems, and game developers then always opted to not support it.
But Linux driver and hardware support seriously improved in the last 10 years and its getting there, slowly but somewhat steadily.
Also Proton came up recently and its basically Wine but way better at running games.
Game developers are catching up but its gonna take a while.

Right now the best option to game on Linux is to have dual boot and use Windows for the games that have no Linux support. The amount of games depends on your tastes, basically.

rumour has it gaymers get higher fps on some lunix gaymes or wine
who knows

retroarch don't even need X to run now
too bad using it's cores is a pita

windows can't run old shit
unironically it's easier to play stuff for 98 or whatever with wine

even the name is gay

sick with it