Chromebooks

Will they ever be relevant?

Attached: ACER-Chromebook-14-CB3-431-C7WJ.png (580x430, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BXV1sF46sVI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I might get one. Looks comfy.

Call me a homo, but I always liked to have some OS that was simplistic and looked consistent with whatever is on my phone. Sucks that I have a phone with these smooth animations and stupid shit like that, and then on the desktop everything is much more variable and sluggish at times.

I have that model. Pre comfy for basic uni work like watching lectures, note taking and assignment stuff in Google docs, other than that pre much a YouTube/Netflix machine in bed
Have lubuntu installed on it via crouton but is a lil bit buggy and CBF fixing it atm.

>pay full price for a laptop with 16GB of storage

This pretty much kills them as actual computers. If samshit could iron out a 128GB SSD + 8GB RAM on a snapdragon 820 or better with a 1440p screen for around ~$300 then maybe they could take off.

Just install GalliumOS and you have an awesome budget laptop.

If they ever do become relevant, Google will only kill them or otherwise ruin and rebrand them.

>will they ever be relevant?
I feel as though they were at one point; namely 2011 through 2014, but then Google lost its vision for what Chrome OS should be and started tainting it with Android apps and overly expensive Chromebooks for a mainstream audience (e.g. Pixelbook) and it got really buggy and messy quick.
Also, I had a Chromebook and hated it. Worst mistake of my life. It couldn't even do most of the minimal tasks it was designed for. Great battery life though.
>Charger? What's a charger?

goddamn red every time I see you post I hate you more and more.

The c720 was amazing

Will it matter in the end?

youtu.be/BXV1sF46sVI

>$250
>celery
>2 gigerbats of wham
>768p res from WW1
>somehow 3 fucking pounds
you sure like to set the bar low

They are pretty comfy for basic stuff. I usually use mine for taking notes or browsing the internet in Bed / watching videos.

How good is GalliumOS? Are we talking bogged down Celerons and no battery or is it just as viable as ChromeOS?

Is ChromeOS usable without surrendering to the botnet?

GalliumOS with an SD Card is my main device.

>How good is GalliumOS? Are we talking bogged down Celerons and no battery or is it just as viable as ChromeOS?
It's literally just Xubuntu but optimized for Chromebooks
>Is ChromeOS usable without surrendering to the botnet?
Not really.

I'm using the very model in your pic and it's super comfy. They don't do much but the few things they do, they do very well and very fast. Mine has 32gb of storage though.

Overpriced if you want one with half decent specs.

Thanks.
>Not really.
>mrw
I'm leaning towards getting a convertible seeing as Android tablets appear to be dead.

Attached: Shucks.gif (325x183, 490K)

its like buying an ebike for the price of a car

>what is the tab s3

>SD820
>more expensive than Chromebook Pro
IDK man, I'm not seeing where the value is on these. If the Tabs were $200-300, I'd be okay with the barely-iterated specs but $500+?

Why do you need all that storage for a device that's designed as a super thin client web browser? Do you have that many saved Pepe memes for shitposting on Jow Forums?

What are "decent specs"? A celeron and 4GB RAM run chrome beautifully.

>tainting it with android apps
Android is the best thing to happen to Chromebooks. They are still cheap, they still run chrome super securely, they are still brilliant for your grandma to look at pictures of grandchildren on Google photos. They are still great for shitposting on Jow Forums. But now for a negligible overhead you can access millions of apps for those odd times when for example you need to unzip a RAR or watch an mpv video.

This. I've been using it as my main computer for like 5 years. It's so light and fast, also very comfy and supports any distro.

You can find it for ~$400 and what makes the chromebook pro worth the extra $100? It's like 3X as heavier and has poor battery life afaik. Tab S3 seems like the better deal if you want a portable computer especially now that dex is a thing.

Local storage is faster than mSD cards, doesn't drain the battery like cloud storage does and is there for you 24/7.

>8 hour stamina
>keyboard
>x86
>Linux and Android apps on ChromeOS
I can see preferring a specific form factor but unless I just never ever needed a keyboard why would I pay the same.

Tab S3 can do 12 hours on a smaller 6Ah battery limao. Isn't that half of what the chromebook "pro" uses? lmao

>what is termux
>what is qemu
>what is exagear

Sorry m8, I don't see the appeal of $300+ chromebooks anymore.

Attached: 1517012464047.webm (1920x1080, 1.3M)

>$650 Android tablets are better
>I mean $550 for last gen
>I mean I found mine refurbished on eBay for ~$400 and a handy
>it has DeX, like Continuum and Ubuntu Edge which totally took off
>I can watch Netflix for 12 hours
>lmao lmao you're so dumb boomer amirite Jow Forums is my tripmic still on
k

enjoy your pretend laptop i guess, i'd rather put up with qemu that with linux CoC or chromeshit web browser

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-19-14-27-26.png (720x1280, 288K)

typing on pic related, the gold is really nice and it's a pretty quick machine. 1080p, 4GB ram model of course. 2GB variant a shit.

Attached: IMG_20170616_1518268.jpg (3840x2160, 1.68M)

Yeah Iron Fist is shit but for some reason I'm still watching it

Attached: ede61f751c0d2c9042915d55eb710832.jpg (793x667, 68K)

I use it on my school laptop and it's really good
Battery life is unchanged from my initial chromeos installation.
Galliumos seems to run better than chromeOS did too desu

Debian support is cool and they have a pretty seamless and comfy browsing experience for about 100€