How long do you expect your phone, laptop, desktop, tablet, other tech to last you before you upgrade?

How long do you expect your phone, laptop, desktop, tablet, other tech to last you before you upgrade?

>phone
Galaxy S8 from 2017. I expect it to last at least 3 years before I feel compelled to upgrade. I'll probably try iphone next desu
>laptop
Thinkpad X1 Carbon from 2018. I expect it to last at least 7 years.
>tablet
Only tablet I ever bought is Nexus 7 from 2012. Has aged like utter shit, but I'm not sure if tablets are relevant anymore.

Attached: iphone.jpg (937x1171, 97K)

>iphone SE
>ipad mini
Indefinite, it’s for internet
>desktop

>iPhone 6 Plus
Expected to last for 3 years but it’s been 4 years and it’s still holding up surprisingly well. I regret getting the 16gb though. Planning on replacing maybe this year.

>MacBook Pro mid 2014
Still going strong. Hoping to use for 8 years.

>iPad Pro 12.9 2015
6 years would be good

>Phone
Redmi Note 5,until 2020
>PC
R7 200, I5 3570 or something,2020

hnng

>phone
iPhone 6s. I'll keep using it until apps start running slow and it stops getting updates for a while. Looking towards possibly a Librem 5 or an Android phone I can flash with custom rom
>laptop
15 inch MBP retina from 2012. Stuff is starting to fail like the battery and the trim around the sides of the screen, but I'll keep it running as long as possible until it dies. Will go for either a Librem lappy or a Thinkpad next.
>tablet
I don't have one

3 years bare minimum or I'll feel ripped off, but I'll keep using it until it gets so outdated that I'm annoyed with it (or it breaks).

current ages:
phone 4 years, anticipating next years phones for a possible upgrade
laptop 6 years, anticipating 7 nm ryzen mobile
desktop 1 year, replaced a very old desktop which was slowly dying
tablet 4 years

I upgrade when there's something worth upgrading to. I expect my tech to last much longer than that.
>phone
Upgraded from Note 3 to Note FE (7) this year. Old phone is still in perfect condition (except battery) new phone has non-removable battery so I guess I'll upgrade in ~2 years. Probably whenever Note series gets frontal fingerprint. Or notch so I'll get the last notchless one.
>laptop
X61t, screen went bubbly on the edges recently. Have not found a decent upgrade yet, might just switch to dex tablet in a few years.
>desktop
Had Phenom II (AM2) in a motherboard made in 2008 before upgrading to Ryzen 5. Old system works fine.

wtf i'm gay now

Phone: Samsung S7 Edge from 2017 I expect it to last 4-5 years.
Laptop: it should last at least 8 years.

Anyhow I'll wait til AV1 hardware decoding is athing to replace them.

Welcome to the club

>phone
LG V20 coming up to two years and still running strong, expect another 3 years before i upgrade. plus i can still replace the battery.
>laptop
hp pavilion dv7 4180us it's now on 10 years, installed an SSD drive and it made it feel new again, need to add another 4gb of ram to go from 4gb to 8gb. i wish i could upgrade the video drivers but its at the latest from 2 years ago.
>desktop
built machine from 8 years ago, the 2500k processor is still great, upgraded the video card 2 years ago. might upgrade the motherboard and get a new processor

nice

Well, my current galaxy s3 set the benchmark to 6 years so my expectations are pretty much fucked.

10 years

>phone
samsung galaxy s8+
ill use it for 2-4 years, I use my phone heavily for work so I feel they dont last long for me but I think this one will last at least 2 years
>laptop
I dont have one, considering purchasing one now, just need something cheap that will run wow for a couple years, s 2 then upgrade is fine on a laptop for me as long as its cheaper
>tablet
I have a tablet I got for free with my phone. Its bad but you cant beat free, I imagine ill find it useful for a year at most
>desktop
I recently built a new PC I expect the worst parts to last 2 years and the best to be useful to me for 10 but will become my off-hand build in 4-5 as I move on to new main build

im using a r5 2600x, rx 580 8gb, 16gb ddr4 ram

> phone
Xperia XA2. Targetting 5-7 years of use with LineageOS or SailfishOS like with my last phone, so until 2025-2027. I only need email, phone and CalDAV/CardDAV sync anyway.

> laptop
Thinkpad x240 from 2014. Expecting it too last till 2024+ because it is easily servicable.

> tablet
Don't own one.

Computing power has plateaued, screen, camera, mic, loudspeaker, connectivity , etc. technologies are good enough, ergonomics are OK. They will last me until they break and replacement parts are more expensive than a new device. Since I bought pretty popular devices I'm guessing that point will be more than 10 years in the future. Not that it matters too much, I could replace them every year but why waste money if I can invest them.

I don't see a need. I use my things until they break. When they do, I repair them unless they're fubar.

>Phone
Moto G2 with LineageOS. Just werks. Got several dumbphones as backup.

>Laptop
Acer Aspire One 756. Might install Debian at some point.

>Tablet
I don't suck dick.

>I use my phone heavily for work so I feel they dont last long for me
The fuck, unless your works involves dropping them on a ground just spend 5 mins to replace battery, maybe restore factory settings if you are retarded.

Is there anything more disgusting than planned obscelescence?

I dont think you understand.are you okay?

Explain then.

>phone
nexus 6p from early 2016, already lasted me ~2.5 years, if i can squeeze out another 1 or 2 id call it a success
>laptop
acer predator from early 2017, expect it to last at least 4-5 more years (i wont be upgrading as the specs are good enough)
>tablet
not a tablet technically but i have a 2nd hand surface pro 4, the touchscreen is shit so maybe a year max before it kicks the bucket

>laptop
I travel with my laptops for work, so I expect my laptops to last me at least 3 years. my last one was a Lenovo IdeaPad, which lasted 4. and I was very happy with. My current is a Dell Inspiron, which is falling apart after 2 years. I'll never buy Dell again. The fucking chargers have DRM.

>Phone
My S5 fell apart after 2 years. My current phone is an Iphone 6(or 7, I forget), I've had it for 1.5 years, and i've had to get it serviced twice. My speakers are giving out. Everything to do with owning an Apple phone is so overdone and annoying that I'll never buy an iphone again. If I can ever find a phone that lasts 3 years I'll be happy.

>tablet
I don't suck cocks

>laptop
It's *gaming* laptop from Lenovo. Enough powerful to last for next 10 years for advanced tasks and another 10 for basic. If not more. Will likely upgrade to professional custom-built PC then.
>phone
My unlocked LG G3, will replace when unofficial support, based on newest LineageOS, won't be able to encrypt disk, maybe in 3 years.
>ereader
Maybe will upgrade to some larger one with higher resolution and backlight in future. I don't use it that much now.
>I don't own any other electronics (apart from scientific calculator and Wacom tablet, which I also don't plan upgrading).

Attached: image:108549.jpg (1088x1008, 174K)

>expecting any laptop to physically hold together for more than 6 years
I hope you enjoy purchasing overpriced, outdated replacement parts.

desktop: 2027 (10 years from when it was built)
laptop: don't care
phone: don't care

Attached: System.png (1631x931, 181K)

Nobody cares sweetie

I treat my gadgets well. I never had damaged my phone and I don't throw laptop all over the place. My previous computer was older than 6 years and still works like new.

You do.

currently have lg g3

thinking upgrading to pocophone or iphone xs maybe

Do I?

Yes.

Can you prove it?

Until some meme coders bloat html again

Well, yuu gave me three (You)'s.

My laptop from january 2012 still works perfectly fine.

You also gave me three (You)'s. Does this mean you care about me?

How do I get fit, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1519891679951.jpg (1024x1024, 92K)

No.

At least a few years

So your argument is invalid.

s7 edge
dunno, 2023 maybe?
ryzen 1400 8gb 1060 6gb
dunno, upgrading the ram maybe 2023. fortunately I still have plenty of room to upgrade AM4 cpu too

>phone
2-3 years
>laptop
idk 3-5 years I guess
>desktop
I just upgrade parts as needed but after 5 years I'll probably want to change processor which also means changing motherboard so it's basically time for a fresh build

Not really. You started it.

realised people went into more detail so
>Phone
Upgrading from iPhone 8 to Xs. Preordered, arrives friday
>Laptop
Don't currently have one but would probably get a Macbook Pro for travelling with
>Desktop
Have i7-8700k, GTX1080, 32GB DDR4, 512SSD and 2TB SSHD. Tempted to upgrade to RTX but fuck that a lot of money, I'll probably get the MSI frozr version if they make a cool looking one

>phone
honor 10 will last like 2 years
>laptop
shitty 2015 laptop alredy aged
>desktop
8086k delid 1080ti will last 5-6 years

Upgrade the parts or the whole thing?
>phone
>LG G3
Probs two more years, maybe more if no phone comes out with a swapable battery till then
>laptop
>thinkpad x230
Ill downgrade the keyboard sometime soon
And I might need more than 4 gb of ram at some point, though its fine for now
>home machine
>lenovo y700 (gaming laptop)
I'd love to replace it with a normal serious workstation for home use, but i'd need to find someone dumb enough to buy that monstrocity first, i'd be fine for another five years i'd assume, just would like to be able to upgrade parts and cooling
>printer
>some old samsung shit
Its like 10 years old, but it still laserprints like a beast
Hooked it up to a raspberrypi so now its a fully functioning network printer
>TV
>Samsung smart tv from 2014
It's 1080p so probably another half a year
I feel the need to upgrade to 4k HDR so I could watch those fat 4k HDR bluray remux movies
The rest of my crap (speakers, headphones, chargers, cofee machines, kitchen utilities) doesn't age I think so I'm good
Unless something craps the bucket, but how can prepare for that?

Does that make your argument valid?

Is this achievable natchy?

I only buy new hardware when the old stuff breaks or becomes unusably slow with current software. Laptop is an X230 from 2012 that replaced a ThinkPad R60 from 2006. The R60 still works but it's slow as all fuck and would need a CPU upgrade for 64-bit compatibility. I went with a used Core i5 laptop instead. The X230 will probably be good at least until 2025 at this rate. For a tablet I have an iPad Mini 2 that I got for free. I only use it to read books and PDFs and do emails on the go, so that'll last me another few years.

I also don't use smartphones because they're an utter waste of time and money, and my flip phone can make calls just the same. The battery lasts a week and is removable. I own the hardware outright for $30, and I can just buy a new one if it ever breaks. Prepaid service is also great. I can get unlimited calls and texts for $80 a year. Did you know that some retarded niggers pay that much or more a month?

Attached: 1535560818219.png (856x846, 85K)

>phone
iPhone 7, expecting 3 more years until Apple makes notchless phone/something surpassing phones completely
>laptop
Macbook Air 2015, after finishing school (2 more years) I will probably sell it because I don't really use it that much outside of school and the display is utter shit
>tablet
iPad Pro 2017, great for reading books, great light design, will use it for a couple more years
>watch
Apple Watch 2, now preordering Series 4 and I hope to have them until new complete redesign (5 years?)

>Thinkpad x220
From 2017. At least another 5 years for sure, I just bought it a year ago so it's still new.
>Galaxy S6
From early 2018. For sure at least another 3-4 years, previous owner said he never really used it so the hardware should last.

Attached: 1536699183925.webm (404x720, 2.42M)

>I'm a homosexual
The post.

Yes.

Can you prove it?

Nobody can beat me.

2009 17' Macbook Pro (9 Years)

2011 iPhone 4S (7 years)

I'll probably use the MBP until it literally stops turning on (I've had a couple scares, but its been stable for years now).

I'll have to drop the iPhone 4 when key apps stop supporting iOS 9.3.

>not changing phones every year

Poorlets need to gtfo

>phone
Galaxy S5, will only replace when it dies.
>laptop
Dell Latitude I got for free through work 4 years ago. I only use it when away from home to watch TV and stuff. Probably won't upgrade until it dies.
>desktop
X58 setup from 2009. I've upgraded the CPU (to a Xeon X5675), RAM and installed an SSD and it doesn't hold back my RX 480 in games I play so no reason to upgrade. I was thinking of going Zen 2 but only if RAM prices drop by 50% or more.

Consumer slave.

Muh identity is my things I buy, got to stay on top.

>I'll have to drop the iPhone 4 when key apps stop supporting iOS 9.3.
They already have. iOS devs have been forced to migrate to 64-bit only applications.

No :S I'm fairly sure I'm right though.

So it's basically like believing in God. You believe he exists, but you can't prove it.

Sony Ericsson P1i - very comfy, lasted me 5 years and would have lasted longer if programmers were better. Opera Mini really flew, the rest was in treacle.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - still running, 6 years later, wanted to update this years but seeing as Spectre/Meltdown is not fixed in S9, perhaps not even S10, I sure hope it will last me another 2 years.

Attached: P1i.jpg (1193x725, 127K)

No. It's because I say so. And so I won the argument.

>Typical woman

Reveal thy breasts with a piece of parchment proving the year and day of our Lord or make a hasty egress, you filthy namefag.

*tips fedora*

>upgrade
you mean die

>BlackBerry Bold 9900
At this point, batteries. Nothing else can kill it and it's a matter of time before one of these batteries balloons up again and kills me.

>T440p
Probably never; specs are maxed and my daily usage won't ever exceed that. An external GPU would only prolong it.

>Kindle Paperwhite
Fuck tablets.

Attached: 1537381703047.jpg (232x293, 11K)

I knew you would eventually agree with me.

Did I say that, sweetie?

I said. Doesn't really matter what you say.

>phone
Mi Max. Gonna upgrade in the unlikely case it dies, and when they stop giving updates (basically never)

>laptop
none, maybe i'll buy one some day

>tablet
lol skip me with that gay shit, mom has one i don't give a fuck

Attached: uwotcat.jpg (1024x1004, 60K)

>iphone SE
probs like 2 years
>laptop
5 years
>desktop
need to switch out most parts anyway lamo

Then why answer me in the first place?

You answered me first.

So? Why did you feel necessary to reply to my post if what I say does not matter? Why not just ignore this random user?

Try pixel

You keep replying to me!

So? Why not just ignore this random user?

Well, you don't ignore me.

My pixel is the lat smart phone I'll ever use. After it dies it's dumb phone and learning to use paper maps

>Huawei P10
I'll upgrade when it stops working, but to something smaller and cheaper.
>desktop
2020, though I'll probably upgrade the harddrive before the end of this year.