/d9t/

Heil /9/

The big /9/ thread, discuss everything related to Plan 9 world

> the de facto standard: 9front9front.org/

> Harvey (gcc/clang modern build)harvey-os.org/

> The heretic: Jehanne (some love needed)jehanne.io/

other useful links > cat-v.org> suckless.org

Docs:> Plan 9 original docs (4rth edition)9p.io/sys/doc/

> Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 - Lsublsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

> Get a 9front youtube.com/watch?v=XZOh-lxYadc

Bonus links

> Some user forked werc and made a vr dating site code.kfarwell.org/vrlfp/vrlfp.net

Attached: plan9bunnyblack.jpg (1528x1950, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/various_operating_system_source_code
gitlab.redox-os.org/groups/redox-os/-/group_members
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/hurd.git/log/
gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/status.html
github.com/jackpot51
gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os/redox/activity
code.kfarwell.org/vrlfp/vrlfp.net
vrlfp.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M
doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/sam_lang_tutorial/sam_tut.pdf
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Plan9 has gotten quite a lot more attention.
Anyway i have some questions:
What would it take to make the desktop more keyboard focused? Kind of like i3. Since i want to use it on an old 2003 dell business laptop and those do not have three buttons most of the times.
How can i go about writing drivers for usb wifi adapters?

I think you can get DWM working on it.

>Plan9 has gotten quite a lot more attention.
Since when? I thought Plan9 was dad and only 9Front etc were active.

How usable is Plan9 compared to gnu hurd?

It's dead. Use its successor instead.

9front is more u and technically superior compared to gnu/turd

Why?

use grio or something else. geez user also the site looks like that to be mothra compatible and non-harmful

>Why is rio such trash?
Rio is a simple wm. You create new window
and launch programs. I don't know what's your problem.

> Why do 9front faggots include so much worthless horse shit in the default images?
Like what?

> Why is the website so autistic that I feel like I'm on a bad acid micro dose trip every single time I visit it?
I can't understand this one too.
It's just a side menu with central content. Does it bother you that I didn't download 20Mb of js to fancy display?

>What the fuck is your problem, 9fags?
I think you are the one with problems. I really can't imagine what type of user are you based on these critics.

>use grio
It's still shit.

>site looks like that to be mothra compatible and non-harmful
That's not my problem with it. The links on the side are poorly organized and not descriptive enough, and it shows some autistic fucking picture with that stupid rabbit. All that space is wasted on nonsense instead offering screenshots of the desktop and/or a simple description of what the project even is. The site also themes my cursor like a shitty GeoCities page from 2002. It's like the site was designed to frustrate and confuse the user.

>dude lol everything is ironic nothing matters just be minimal man!
If the devs and the community don't take the project seriously, why should I?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-19_16-00-06.png (1192x894, 327K)

Why should we care about your opinion? You are a faggot that complain about the site instead of readibg what Plan 9 is.
And even if it wasn't the case, we don't care about you.
Remember the rule of thumb: 9front is (most probably) not for you

This is why the 9front has no software and never will. This is why no one but a handful of autists uses 9front. You're as pretentious as an iToddler with a system more worthless than Arch. Lmao

>9front.org
Not him but the web site seems a bit weird. The news part is OK but the things like Propaganda will outweird most people. Also it seems not in sync with Ninetimes, whatever the relationship is supposed to be.

just shut the fuck up already, you're making a fool out of yourself.

Seethe harder 9toddler.

Please don't say that you're running IRIX

Jokes on you, macOS is actually a decent OS (not as good as Plan 9, but still)

>be 9front user/dev
>shill 9front on Jow Forums
>proceed to tell people not to use 9front and fuck off
This is how all 9front conversations I've seen have went.

>init system based on XML

Attached: 1525689694695.jpg (638x558, 64K)

>see 9front thread
>ask questions answered in documentation
>get mad when mocked
t. macfag

How can I install Firefox on it?

How to load it in libreboot/GRUB?
My memepad x60 cant recognise fs..

I want to like it but acme blows fucking goats, wtf am I supposed to do with this garbage? Every time I want to do something I have to grab the mouse. Scrolling also looks fucked, I updated and rebuilt the system and the fucking job stalled unless the terminal was scrolled down all the way for some reason.

Lots of great ideas but the gay gay interface is killing the project.

What's your problem with IRIX? It's comfiest OS that ever existed.

Attached: 1535441465574.webm (652x562, 99K)

"IRIX is a discontinued operating system developed by Silicon Graphics (SGI) to run on their MIPS workstations and servers. It is a variety of UNIX System V..."
>discontinued
Only this.

I agree. It should've been open sourced and forked by the community.

>It's comfiest OS that ever existed.
The OS or the Window manager?

Both.

What is this even good for, other than for educational purposes?

>It's like the site was designed to frustrate and confuse the user.
It was designed to drive away boring normalfag suits like you

archive.org/details/various_operating_system_source_code

Let me guess, this has the base system and core utils for IRIX 4 or 5? That's basically useless. It doesn't include device drivers, the window manager, the graphical programs, libs, docs, etc. IRIX is an entire ecosystem of software that works together to create a single user experience, like Windows or MacOS or Haiku, or even Plan9.

Probably stupid question, but does this run on n900?

Steal the code from the Maxx developer.

He's nearly impossible to reach and disappears for months at a time. I don't even know how much of the source he has, and he isn't open sourcing any of the SGI libs or other software required to compile motif apps with the SGI advanced widgets.

Good effort though, m8. But IRIX will probably rot away on tapes in some filthy basement.

I don't think any malware is compatible with Plan9 or any of the derivatives. That alone gives it an advantage in the drive by malware scenarios.

are you that ricer lmao
don't pretend to be running irix when you're not, you're just mimicking its look.

Attached: 1537388329931.png (1280x1024, 808K)

>don't pretend to be running irix when you're not
SGI machines are cheap as fuck and it's not "le sekret club" you massive homo. If you knew anything about them you'd know that I was running a different system from the modern Firefox screenshot, since Firefox 3 is the latest version that runs on SGI machines. I have a bunch that I don't use anymore because they're slow as shit and need new parts.

Even if it is old the hardware is nice and the games are very smooth. Point Blank was epic.

Despite being an elitist OS (really, you have to work your mind around to understand it, unlike traditional Unix systems), Plan 9 actually got some support for several models of Chinkpads through 9front.

How about 9Front, is the support for modern hardware any better? Drivers can be a problem.

Why no love for Inferno?

Hurd can run Linux drivers and most Linux programs will compile fine.
That's all you need to know I think.

no, this is very clearly riced xfce, stop acting retarded.

Why Firefox looks so out of place with your theme? Learn how to edit userChrome.css fag.

>why should I?
You shouldn't. No one does. It's a joke.

Debian made a desperate attempt to package HURD but it just fell apart. It is simply useless and the development speed is glacial, especially when you compare to a mainly one man project like Redox-OS.

I wonder if FSF simply has given up on HURD and is content with forever interjecting.

>Debian made a desperate attempt
Desperate in what way?
>but it just fell apart
Checking their site last release was a few month ago.
>one man project like Redox-OS
The fuck?
gitlab.redox-os.org/groups/redox-os/-/group_members
>FSF simply has given up on HURD
No, it's just that only two people work on it.
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/hurd.git/log/

Though it is disappointing that in year 2018 it's still stuck in x86. That alone is reason enough for me not to use it.

Why should I install 9font?

How good is 9 for programming?
I assume it doesn't have any sort of media player either right?

Like I said, essentially only Thinkpads are supported on 9front, but the list goes as far as the X260, so that's pretty modern in Thinkpad world.

>It's like the site was designed to frustrate and confuse the user.
>frustrate
For me the website is quite fun to read.
Unironically made me want to install it on old thinkpad just for fun.

Attached: ゆっくりしていってね!!!.jpg (600x334, 117K)

>>Debian made a desperate attempt
>Desperate in what way?
Trying to package something that did not work well. Promoting something that will disappoint is never a good idea.

>>but it just fell apart
>Checking their site last release was a few month ago.
And yet: gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/status.html last usability status update in 2013

>>one man project like Redox-OS
>The fuck?
>gitlab.redox-os.org/groups/redox-os/-/group_members
Look instead at the activities and who is contributing rather tan who is a member.
Jackpot51 has several contributions daily: github.com/jackpot51
gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os/redox/activity

>>FSF simply has given up on HURD
>No, it's just that only two people work on it.
>git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/hurd.git/log/
It is their choice to work on what they wish to work on. The FSF leadership, however, might want to ask themselves why Redox-OS, Fuchsia, Minix-3 and even stuff like AwooOs is charging ahead while HURD is pottering around in small circles. More work and less interjecting might help.

Lmao, wrong. Stop talking out of your ass. That's MaXX on Linux.

Attached: 1521679051691.gif (900x305, 3.02M)

It's great for C programming if you get accustomed to its interface.
And you assume right.
So, instead of installing Plan 9, you might prefer installing plan9port on Linux instead.

yeah, whatever, it still isn't an irix desktop, you're just running maxx on linux.

>code.kfarwell.org/vrlfp/vrlfp.net
>vrlfp.net/
pure ridiculous; pure brilliance

>it still isn't an irix desktop
>you're just running maxx on linux
Stupid faggot, it uses a custom version of the Motif Window Manager, Motif widgets, and applications that are all based on SGI source code. I can literally go into the config files for certain programs and see "property of SGI" at the top. So yes faggot, I am running the IRIX desktop. Stay salty.

it still isn't an irix desktop, sweetheart

It's literally based on SGI source code, dumbfuck brainlet.

> wtf am I supposed to do with this garbage
Write things: docs, programs, scripts
> Every time I want to do something I have to grab the mouse
Yes. You live in 2018, the mouse is a well estabilished piece technology

> Scrolling also looks fucked,
How?
button-2: scroll to the exact position
button-1: scroll up, relatively to how you positioned your cursor on the scrollbar
button-3: same as button-1 but down

Acme is a editor with windows multiplexer feature. The real power is
> text interface + mouse chording
> You can extend Acme in any language that speaks 9p, see the video to understand how easy it is to extend Acme => youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M
> Edit command: structural regular expression (regex on steroids) => doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/sam_lang_tutorial/sam_tut.pdf

> Lots of great ideas but the gay gay interface is killing the project.
That's your opinion, and it's a shit one. The interface is different but great, once you are used to it, switch back will make you feel clumsy.

Aside from that, some people thinks that Acme tries to do something that shouldn't: windows multiplexing, but it should be rio's task.
If you think like that Sam is the editor of your choice

Very good.
Read lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf it should work for 9front too

What? No.
You loose a lot of features with only p9p. Also you can play audio file with the play command

>You loose a lot of features with only p9p.
What features relevant to programming are lost?

>Promoting something that will disappoint is never a good idea.
In what way did it disappoint you?