Copying on Microshaft Winblows

Windows explorer is absolute shit for copying, I don't trust it one bit. The sneaky fuck has lost files and made corrupted copies while reporting 0 problems too many times.

I've been using TotalCommander and FastCopy, they're definitely better. However, given that one is proprietary and the other is written by some obscure japanese dude, I'm not too keen on trusting them.

What's your take on this, Jow Forums?

Attached: inb4_install_gentoo_imnotawinfag.gif (500x216, 981K)

bump

bump 2

Install Gentoo.

>The sneaky fuck has lost files and made corrupted copies while reporting 0 problems too many times.
What in the fuck? This has never happened to me.

how can you be sure when transferring large amounts?

Yep. Checked manually and with software. Had my blood boiling. Probably lost some unreplaceable stuff already through the years.
>cucked by the Gates

Windows and various file explorers reporting different file numbers and bytes used, as well as missing or unopenable/runable files.

because after moving, I can still use the files. How did this happen to you? Is your hard drive failing? I've used wangblows my whole life and never heard of this problem.

>update my image backup folder with explorer
>drag my current image folder to the backup on usb
>asks me if I want to overwrite or skip already existing file
>click skip and do the same for all files
>end up with 20k foo (1).jpg duplicates
thanks microsoft!

>press CTRL+Z
>gone in an instant
Next time don't be as stupid.

never happened to me, stop using broken hard disks. also if you don't trust total commander because muh proprietary software then you should move to gnu/trannyOS trash

>thinking I realize it immediately
yes using wangablows was stupid

This happened while transfering 10s/100s of GBs on different computers/hdds/flash drives. Sometimes Total Commander doesn't throw errors either but file differences are clearly displayed.

You do. It even highlights the files that are duplicated for you after copying as a big "You're a moron" warning. Maybe you shouldn't be around computers if you can't handle simple file management actions.

unironically rsync on cygwin

use robocopy or a real backup tool like duplicati, explorer will die when it feels like it and trash your metadata

Not necessarily because it's proprietary, rather because it's old as fuck with a near non-existent community and lacking documentation.
If it was open source I could see for myself if the code is dodgy.

it shouldn't make duplicates or overwrite when I pressed skip in the first place, it's inexcusable.
>It even highlights the files that are duplicated for you after copying as a big "You're a moron" warning.
proof?

>proof?
DIY, moron.

then check out double commander, it's an open sores total commander clone

>can't prove his made up claim
>calling people stupid for using explorer when he does the same and doesn't realize the irony

I use copy handler and some other Japanese one I can't remember the name of atm.

also if it's tons of files, you should archive them in proper archival format such as rar with a recovery record or par2 files.

Thanks, will have a go with them.

>rar

Attached: 1537012048648.png (858x720, 428K)

I see Parchive development is inactive. Is it still preferable?

Isn't window's fault, had the same issue while moving large amounts of data using cp.

You need some took that compares and makes sure the files copied are the same as the ones from the source.
Use Teracopy if you're on windows or rsync if you prefer that.

at least winrar has an option to add a recovery record to the archives
use multipar

>The sneaky fuck has lost files and made corrupted copies while reporting 0 problems too many times.

in all honesty this has happened to me only if the filesystem is fucked up, or the hard drive/flash drive or wathever is fucked up.. copying with other solutions normally lend to different results, but still errors occur.

TL;DR stop buying refurbished hard drives and chink USB sticks

You just mentioned par2 there is no necessity of using a closed source archive format.
tar+par2 is enough.

The Japanese one is FastCopy.

Yeah, that's the reason I use the tools metioned in OP.

Anons, is there no industry standard for this? Haven't found anything reasonably agreed upon so far.