/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1537373835264.jpg (785x921, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zen-kernel
freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is there a utility that can display something similar to desktop icons, when there's no DE as such and only Openbox working?

NO DELETE THIS PIC NOW TUX IS STRAIGHT

Attached: 395.jpg (546x789, 43K)

This, fuck this thread. Sage and report.

I also support this opinion
delete this shit OP

Attached: IMG_20180919_182433.png (1080x983, 264K)

go away moralfag

Attached: 1451877396042.jpg (425x450, 168K)

I've heard that some distributions use ROX to do this, you could also use something like Thunar I'm sure this is how Xfce does it. Not sure exactly how but those programs have that functionality. But you don't need desktop icons user, they're harmful, like the OP pic.

Okay I'm the dumbfuck who can't install Ubuntu on new computer, can't enable efi mode for external media for some reason (in bios it says that booting through external drives can be only done via legacy mode...) And I can't make /boot fat32 normally

Of course she is - just born as a boy.

reminder to disable mouse acceleration on your thinkpad trackpoint for superior experience

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

Attached: 234b524b6.jpg (1920x1080, 314K)

I symlinked my windows fonts in /usr/share/fonts/windows and the permissions for the windows partition are set as 0775 root:users. I'm in the users group. It always worked like this using arch but now I'm struggling to load windows fonts on debian. I checked with verbosity enabled when forcing a new font cache and the path with my windows fonts is there when checking with fc-list. what can I do? should I just give up on those 100mb and copy my fonts from the ntfs partition to my ext4 partition? just wanted to save some space since the whole partition is only 16gb

Attached: sample_3031a0c308eeb892dafd024bd83529c7.jpg (850x650, 169K)

I want to fuck tux

6 months of using Linux. Started with Ubuntu for a week then tortured myself by installing Arch on MBP with proprietary Nvidia drivers.

Attached: xuyVWXg (1).png (1280x800, 121K)

you know it doesn't matter if you show us yout local ip right?

dont listen to him user he's a hacker

I want to use Source Mage.

How best can I improve my knowledge of Linux to make my goal a reality? What books, pdfs, or alternative distributions might be most helpful in aiding me?

Attached: 1537281208411.gif (448x336, 1.57M)

>192.168.0.144
dox him now

Ok..did you have a question?
Your BIOS problem btw is that it just straight up won't support efi, so you shouldn't use it. Use MBR instead. Also use etcher to flash your iso's, it's easy mode.
Also your /boot partition shouldn't be fat32, it should be ext4. The usb with the image should be fat32 so your bios can detect it.

always used vfat for the /boot partition. what's the difference with ext4? I mean you can access /boot with both windows and linux if something goes wrong like this

The problem is that mbr doesn't want to boot unless I get supergrub2 pendrive as boot device which for obvious reasons isn't what I want to do

user@home$ ./hack.sh
hacking...
HACKING COMPLETE!
root@MBP#

based

The only other crazy solution i can come up with is doing an installation from the command line like arch, but i wouldnt know how to do that for ubuntu, however that might fix your efi problem.

Yeah, I dunno. Just seemed like something I shoulda done beforehand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, trying to get accustomed to a keyboardless workspace. The Nvidia drivers always break something though, so when I'm trying to learn something I'm always having to fix something when the drivers update. It's maddening.

Want to jump into a thinkpad next.

Source Mage is for bash lovers; so get good at bash.

Whats the point of running i3 through xfce instead of just running it by itself? Isnt having both the custom status bar and the xfce taskbar kind of redundant?

I'm learning, man.
I have the Xfce4 panel as a fallsafe for now. I just made the i3blocks bar this past weekend.

>But you don't need desktop icons user, they're harmful
why do you think they're bad

if I don't give a shit about animations or compositing or tearing, how do I go about making my desktop as responsive as possible? Running stock Fedora/gnome right now.

install gentoo

Try arch to get the basics then hop over to source mage.

>Like most birds, penguins have no external genitalia. Males do not have penises and females do not have vaginas.

terrible advice.

not him but, because to use them you need to minimize or move the window you're working in so you can see and click on the appropriate icon. easier to just use the start menu or keyboard shortcuts

good lord I thought debian wasn't loading fonts but apparently it's just font rendering that is this ugly by default. anybody using debian here?

read the gentoo handbook

is there any way i can extend my home partition like in pic related but without moving it?

Attached: 1.jpg (807x832, 161K)

nth for 40yo trannies

Um wtf stop being a bigot

In all fairness I can't explain the reasoning but I do know that most guides like how to install gentoo use ext4 for it, I assume as grub can access it just fine and ext is just...better

Well you need to give more info than 'doesn't want to boot'

you can try booting into windows and shrink the sdb3 partition from within windows then boot again into linux and use gparted to extend sdb6 on the left

Okay I fixed it.

Apparently it'll have to be 64-bit I'll see if it'll work with all my scripts this evening

true. however i have this feeling that it wont boot after that... i included the boot partition (different device) in the pic, its EFI and frankly i know nothing about EFI and would prefer not to mess with it if possible.

Is it possible to hook screen dpms on/off without using screensavers? I want to disable&enable mouse with xinput so only keyboard can turn screen on.

you can with ntfs but
>using linux on ntfs
sweetie...

Attached: 22284.jpg (460x460, 27K)

I really want to move to openBSD but I just got my gentoo to where I like it
is the linux-libre or linux-xen kernel also going to be pozzed?

Attached: 1518837770500.png (1600x900, 308K)

I think it's something about embedded bitmaps in Fontconfig setting.

cfdisk? I haven't used the resize option so can not attest, but I know it's there

Xen is a hypervisor and generally sucks ass compared to KVM. I think you meant linux-zen rather than running Xen with Linux in dom0.

I tried reconfiguring with dpkg just now and disabled bitmap. logged out and back in but it still looks like shit. do I need to restart the pc?

yeah I meant github.com/zen-kernel
is it even considered a fork, and do you think it is going to bend over and take Coraline's CoC(k)?

oh obviously ill format it as btrfs
resizing "backwards" is a whole different deal... it might not boot

Attached: blyat.png (265x308, 158K)

>tfw i was going to make the switch from windows to debian on my desktop
now i don't feel safe using linux since it's being held hostage by bolsheviks. should i use openbsd instead?

stick with windows for the time being
we will figure out what is the best option here in a few weeks

do you have a fontconfig?

this is a clean install of debian. dunno if it comes with a fontconfig by default

Greg Kroah-Hartman has taken linus's position for the time being. The CoC is extremely lax compared to the FreeBSD license. It wont affect your experience running linux at all as userland applications arent managed by the kernel devs. Its basically a non-issue that Jow Forums-tards are blowing way out of proportions.

>tfw this is legitimate advice

Ive used gparted live to resize backwards before, and it booted fine. Just takes a really long time.

It's a deliberate strategy of using SJWshit to force leaders who refuse to work with intelligence agencies out of open source projects. They did the same thing to Brendan Eich at Mozilla.

>Freindly

As a transexually floating piece of shit I a-aks you if you don not harass piece of shit like me in here

THX, Colette Apa Hkekm

default is pretty awful. try adding this to ~/config/fontconfig/fonts.conf, it's pretty much defaults recommended by some guides.

true
true
false
hintslight
lcddefault
rgb

freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html

what's the endgame of intelligence agencies then, realistically?

I just finished installibg gentoo but i don't know what DE i should take.

What's/g/s favorite?
I'm open to everything but gnome and kde.

Attached: b6gi15hq9ej11.jpg (1920x1080, 552K)

awesomewm!

95% of the anons here are using gnustep

Try DWM.

Their desired endgame is having literally no software stack in use outside themselves that they can't break into. Linus was remarkable for publicly telling them to fuck off. If Linux gets subverted they'll go after Qubes and the BSDs and Illumos... and then it's game over.

Install Sway and wlroots from git master and try Wayland.

What's the CoC of this thread?

now it looks waaaay better thank you

Attached: chu_chu_chu.png (312x359, 162K)

LINUX IS FUCKED
LINUX IS FUCKED
LINUX IS FUCKED
MOVE TO BSD WHILE YOU CAN
ABORT ABORT

perhaps it booted because you moved everything, including the boot partition, hence the relative distance between /boot and / didn't change... but since my /boot is on a different device it probably has an absolute address of the beginning of /, and if it moves, /boot wont know where / "starts"... i mean, maybe it will work. but how will the bootloader know where / is?

gonna go full loonix

rec me a distro to install on my desktop pc

16gb ram, xeon e3 1240 v3, r9 280x

If you've gone as far as Gentoo may as well install i3. Or Wayland with Sway to be cool.
If you're set on a DE though, xfce. Also with Wayland.

so uhm I just installed debian and there is no sound. I checked in alsamixer and the sound card order was wrong so I set PCH as first and now I can control sound with my keys but there is still no sound. I also tried speaker-test but there is only static noise. I tried opening a youtube video but no sound at all. what to do?

Remember to change "rgba" property to your actual monitors subpixel layout. Almost everyone should use rgb but some monitors are different
lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

>but how will the bootloader know where / is?
Im pretty sure the bootloader knows where a the boot partition starts through the partition table (which is updated after you resize), but if you are that worried just live boot the same distro you are running, chroot in after you have resized the partitions, and rebuild grub. That would only take 10 minutes or so.

Ubuntu. It's what I started with. Hardware compatibility wise you should be fine with any distro, so just use one that's easy to get started with for now.

Other user here. Why hintslight and lcddefault?

t. user who's trying to trim his .Xresources

ok nevermind just opened a song in mpv and it works. it's firefox doing weird shit

Firefox uses pulseaudio

I want to get a GTX 1050 ti but I've heard that Nvidia GPUs are horrible with Linux
Is this true?

Attached: 1537158437359-b.jpg (518x505, 142K)

so I need to use both alsa and pulse or do I need to switch totally to pulseaudio?

so how do we feel about Linus being sent to cuckold reeducation camp?

Attached: 5ec1ac78e45a9a74af357ad6ccfbe18f.jpg (1172x1586, 151K)

it just preference, hintsligt gives what I think perfect spacing in between characters, I have hintmedium on bold fonts and on fonts smaller than 8px because according to archwiki it makes it a bit sharper but idk. lcddefault just works for most people (also taken from archwiki). lcdslight makes the rgb colors stronger so fonts become sharper, lcdlegacy makes it even sharper and lcdnone is the sharpest but at that setting you almost see the red and blue surrounding your fonts.

some options work better for some fonts etc, just experiment and see what looks best.

They're the only GPU vendor that insists on proprietary binary drivers and reimplementing half the graphics stack on their own. Everyone else uses open source drivers integrated into the kernel. You're much better off getting an RX 580.

>lcdslight
lcdlight*

Pulse sits on top of ALSA.

pulseaudio works ontop of alsa, just install pulse and it should be fine. Also edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and add "flat-volumes = no" to the end of the file

it worked

Attached: chu_chu_chu.png (312x359, 161K)

I like Awesome WM and have been using it for perhaps eight years now. i3 would be my fallback if the project died and became unusable.

Im writing an installation script for arch linux. It works fine, but im not sure if the order I have set everything out in is optimal.
I currently have a root menu (using the program dialog), with that leads to 4 other menus, layed out like this
Partition Disks
> List current partitons
> Securely wipe disk(s)
> Auto partition disk
> Manually partition disk
> Manually partition disk (gui)
> Setup LVM (optional)
> Encrypt disk (optional)
> Mount partitions
> Done
Install Packages
> Install base
> Install DE/WM (gives user a choice of DE/WM)
> Install Extras (gives user a choice of misc software)
>Install addition (gives user a text box to specify more software)
> Done
Finalize Installation
> Gen FSTAB
> Start services
> Set time
> Set locale
> Set hostname
> Set root passwd
> Create user(s)
> Run mkinitcpio
> Install grub
Done
Review config files
> Lists a few crucial config files with the choice of opening them with nano
Done

My question is should i rearrange this list, or is it ok as it is?

Attached: install.png (1872x949, 81K)

how about using this pic instead then

Attached: JUSTFUCKMYKERNELUP.jpg (810x708, 135K)

When Linus made Linux, I he expected to use the GNU system with it.
When Richard made GNU, there wasn't any free kernel. Was he counting on HURD?

Yes, he and his GNU colleagues wanted to do the whole OS.

>When Richard made GNU, there wasn't any free kernel. Was he counting on HURD?
Yes. He made the mistake of thinking microkernels would be simpler to debug.

I'm a bit drunk, so sorry if I've went full retard. Why can't I install OBS?

Preparing to unpack .../obs-studio_22.0.2-0obsproject1~bionic_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking obs-studio (22.0.2-0obsproject1~bionic) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/obs-studio_22.0.2-0obsproject1~bionic_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/obs/libobs/bicubic_scale.effect', which is also in package libobs0:amd64 21.0.2+dfsg1-1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/obs-studio_22.0.2-0obsproject1~bionic_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

You already have it installed, retard.

libops and obs cannot be installed at the same time
thanks frens