/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first

Attached: 1520466881394.jpg (1361x2048, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ddg.gg/lite
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
memtest.org/
disk-partition.com/windows-10/fix-mbr-windows-10-0708.html
neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are ergonomic keyboards a meme or should I get one?

What are some good alternatives to google calendar?

What is a meme

mostly meme
but if you are in danger of repettitive stress injurryy you might want to check some out

Fist bitcoins farming now fucking tarifs, when will the cost go down to a more reasonable price?

What are the essential Firefox add-ons? The wiki seems outdated.

imagus
ublock origin
password manager like keepass, lastpass, bitwarden

i got one and love it, helped with wrists but hasnt eliminated it. microsoft sculpt here.

I'll repost my question from last thread just one time to see if anybody else knows.

This is a problem I've had since I got my new PC two years ago. Whenever I play specific games, like Dark Souls, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight and more recently Dragon Quest XI, I get no sound from the game. The only way I get sound is if I turn on the enhancement "Headphone Virtualization", but of course that gives the game a weird echo-y sound I don't really like. I only have my headphones as a sound device on my PC and they work perfectly with everything else and my previous PC didn't have this problem, so I'm curious why it's only a few games that refuse to have sound on this new one.
Anyone know what the solution might be for this? I've looked this up online several times, but it doesn't seem like anyone has quite the exact same problem as me. Maybe the answer is extremely obvious and right in front of me, but I've been googling this question and tinkering with settings for months now without any results.

anyway I can sync local bookmarks between firefox and chrome? chrome uses json but apparently firefox uses html

vimium

You're really testing the mods, aren't you?

Sounds like maybe the speaker configuration is wrong for the headphones.

Right click on volume icon, click Playback Devices (or search for "sound" in CP), Click on Headphones, Click on Configure, set for Stereo/Headphones. Also look under properties for anything else that maybe amiss. (Also try updating drives for sound card/device of course.)

...and if ya've done all that, kinda down to getting a new sound card.

it just grill

I got hit with a virus while trying to download kmspico to activate windows.

Not well versed in computers to Jow Forums standards, but when it happened I booted into safe mode and scanned and found 209 files of malware. Uninstalled the programs, quarantined and deleted the malware, reset, got a fake blue screen. Reinstalled windows and now they're just quarantined from the windows.old folder.

That's not the issue mainly, the issue is about 16 hours later some asshat spent 150 dollars on steam using my debit card and I got a call from the bank saying I'm not liable, and they'll lock my card and send me a new one

So here's my question
1. How can I ensure my computer is 100% clean right now? I used Windows defender and Malwarebytes for my scans.
2. How did this guy get my debit card when I didn't type it a single time?

He also went into my personal email to approve linking my card to Visa checkout, but I think he did it through a RAT because I didn't get a notification about access from another device.

Attached: 1536919150200.png (360x360, 95K)

If yer gonna take it upon yourself to make a new /sqt/ thread, ya should copypasta the spiel:

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read
→ → → → → → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

I should clarify that the transaction happened after I had already wiped my computer. So he probably got all the info instantly once I was hit before I wiped.

>some asshat spent 150 dollars on steam using my debit card
Never, use, a debit card, online. Go to store, get refillable prepaid card, that's what they're for.

>1. How can I ensure my computer is 100% clean right now? I used Windows defender and Malwarebytes for my scans.
Format and reinstall OS. Which you should probably do, even if Malwarebytes did clean the virus entirely, as that processes tends to leave "holes" in the OS which cause instability.

>2. How did this guy get my debit card when I didn't type it a single time?
Probably saved it in your Steam account, which means he doesn't even have to attack your computer to get it (they've had a few mass account leaks over the years). But he can get your Steam password from the registry.

>How can I ensure my computer is 100% clean right now?
Format and reinstall.

If it possible to simultaneously run two operatin systems on one PC in parallel?

Or are there any low level VM solutions that would work almost as good as bare metal?
The data centers do rent their virtual servers with GPU computing and all.

Attached: index.jpg (225x225, 5K)

>If it possible to simultaneously run two operatin systems on one PC in parallel?
You can run as many as you have disk space available.
>low level VM solutions
VM always implies overhead at some point.

How do I check RAM for errors?

I been having some BSODs and I suspect it could be related to ram.

>You can run as many as you have disk space available.
How do I do it?

Haven't formatted but did a reinstall. Anyway to avoid formatting?

emacs

You can rig VMs to use access hardware directly, though some chipsets have VM systems built in that allow for simultaneous multi-OS management.

memtest.org/

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Even then, there's CMOS viruses, but those are pretty rare.

Look up dualbooting. If you only have one disk you can partition said disk to contain multiple operating systems. Then you use a bootloader to map out the installations you have.

Not if you want it to be clean 100%.

Will a 650wPSU be enough to power a 2080Ti?

Yes.

>Look up dualbooting.
By parallel I meant SIMULTANEUOSLY, like having windows run on 4 cores and 8 gigs of ram, and having Linux run on the other 4 cores and the other 4 gigs of ram in the same time

Depends on the +12v rails. Should be at least 35Amps. Sometimes 1000wPSU's have shit +12v rails.

Got it. Thanks.

The virus was on my SSD, should I install Windows on my hard drive, boot into that, then format the SSD, reinstall Windows on SSD, then format the HD? Or is there an easier way?

Why don't girls like Android?

The windows installer should give you the option to format by removing any partitions on the drive.

Basically virtualbox / any other vm.

I'm trying to remove all traces of Windows 10 from my second SSD (Disk 1 in pic, Disk 0 is where I have Windows 7 which I'm using right now). After formatting the drive, the computer would still boot to a Windows 10 repair menu screen, so I deleted the recovery partition from cmd. Now the PC still boots to a Windows 10 screen that just says "your pc needs to be repaired". Will deleting the little EFI system partition kill W10 once and for all? I know I can stop the pc booting into W10 by changing the boot priority in the UEFI, but I want to completely get rid of Windows 10

Attached: Capture.jpg (1540x308, 78K)

Are there any decent dash cams for under $100? I don't care about 4K resolution, 1080p is fine and I don't want some cheap shit that will start a fire in my car. Other features are optional...I don't care about cloud/phone streaming, micro SD is fine.

You need to re-write the MBR. Windows 10 puts a boot menu in it.

And how do I do that?

disk-partition.com/windows-10/fix-mbr-windows-10-0708.html

(Partition software of your choosing should have an option for it - I've never done it from Disk Management, not sure if it has an option.)

>How to Fix Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows 10?
But I'm doing this in Windows 7. And I don't want to fix anything, I want to erase everything in the drive and merge everything into a single regular partition

Personally I would use a Linux live USB, open up Gparted and go from there

Is there away to run Windows games on Linux using Steam's proton without having the Steam client running in the background while I'm playing? Like if I already opted into the Steam beta to use Proton with the Steam client would that allow me to use Proton with any game that I run with Wine?

Use the Windows 7 recovery boot, and fix the MBR from there.

But you are "fixing" your install so that it boots without the HDD. If you're booting under UEFI, there's no way to get windows under a single partition.

>Goto catalog
>/sqt/ bread ALWAYS pic removed
>/sqt/ bread poster is a fucking paedo

Fuckup cunt.

I don't know what "fix the MBR" means or exactly how to do it
disk management says the drive partition style is GPT
Will deleting the EFI partition via diskpart and merging it with G: and then the rest of the drive be of any benefit?

What does compiling a kernel mean, why does it take so long and when do you need to do it?

Partition software should have an option to build a default Win7 MBR, or yeah, use the Windows 7 recovery command line (available from the Win7 installer) and Bootrec /Rebuild from there. (Select the "repair" option during installation boot.)

Windows is not installed in that drive. Windows 7 is in Disk 0, what I want to do is turn the former Windows 10 drive into one single partition with nothing in it

couldn't find any concrete info about this, so sorry if this is really stupid
the flat i'm moving into doesn't have internet, and it seems like getting a dongle is my only option atm. however, i've also seen these... little portable hotspot things. would this use more data than a dongle? i ask because i remember setting up a wifi hotspot and it used a ton (although it's likely that was updates)

So I have speakers on my monitor (connected to video card via DP) and my TV (connected to video card via HDMI). Sometimes I like to output the sound from a show to the TV and keep everything else on my monitor or my headphones. When I used Windows I just had an audio router program to handle everything for me. I couldn't find anything on Linux Mint to handle this by default. Found an article about downloading pavucontrol. This would work to switch between one of my video card devices and headphones, but it only shows which ever video card output is actively playing sound. I can't have both.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Attached: file.png (800x630, 57K)

If you aren't using Windows 10 anymore, you can delete the EFI partition and expand the others to reclaim the space - this may not remove the Win10 boot messages by itself, however, as they'll still be in the MBR.

I've found this
neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/
The screen I get when the PC boots into the drive that used to have Windows 10 is nothing like those, it's not like an error screen, it's a pale blue W10 screen with a few options (like F8 to go to repair menu, F11 to go back to uefi settings, etc).

install windows

If you're going to be gaming, use the dongle. If not, a hotspot with an unlimited data plan works.

Well is there a way to delete the MBR then?

Christ why does this have to be so difficult

why so many different components, architectures, software? and they are all incompatible at the same time, is it because the ..... don't want us to have valuable options?

Is gigabit internet worth it or is it a meme?

Think ya just had several different posts telling you how to rebuild the MBR several different ways.

>Use Windows 7 recovery tool
>Use third party partition software
>Use Linux Gpart

Ya don't want to just delete the MBR, or Win 7 won't boot - ya need to rebuild it for Windows 7.

What dumb fuck created this thread. Use my OP you faggot.

You're not getting it. Your windows 10 has overwritten/replaced your windows boot. It doesn't exist as it's own thing anymore. That's why you need to "fix" your windows 7 boot.

uMatrix and uBlockOrigin

I deleted the EFI partition and now the PC boots straight to Windows 7, no more blue W10 screens it seems. But Disk Management won't let me merge these two partitions in Disk 0
How could Windows 10 replace 7's MBR when the windows 7 drive was unplugged when I installed 10? In theory the Windows 7 drive should have been untouched by W10. In fact everything was unplugged while W10 was installing, excetp the W10 drive of course
If 7's boot was broken the computer shouldn't be booting into 7 no problem, right?

Am I just retarded?

Attached: Capture.jpg (1273x310, 62K)

>But Disk Management won't let me merge these two partitions in Disk 0
sorry Disk 1*

Nah Windows is going down the shitter. I'd rather use a better OS. The only reason I still have it installed is because my current capture card isn't supported on Linux.

i'm copying some files from a ssd from a windows machine onto my lincucks machine, got it hooked up with a sata/usb connector.
it sometimes connects, but during copying it will disconnect. I've got errors about hibernation, used the remove_hiberfile option in mount but that still didnt work, and i also get splicing errors.
i tried using GUI, cp, and rsync, but nothing works 100%.

What's the best free PDF editor for Windows?

>How did this guy get my debit card when I didn't type it a single time?
>He also went into my personal email to approve linking my card to Visa checkout

You have a keylogger installed you dumb ass.

>How could Windows 10 replace 7's MBR when the windows 7 drive was unplugged when I installed 10?
System could still find the Win10 MBR and use that, depending on drive boot order. It may, indeed, still be using it, but not finding the EFI has caused it to move onto the next drive.

Not sure why you can't delete the partitions and reclaim on Disk 1 though, lest your system is on one of them.

Windows 10 is surprisingly good at appropriating things it shouldn't be able to. But it may be that it just came up first in the boot order.

Assuming you can, at this point, boot with disk 1 unplugged, go ahead and format disk 1 with diskpart.

No, my Win7 is in Disk 0. Those two partitions are empty save for 21 mb of something invisible

Attached: Capture.jpg (786x218, 30K)

That's actually not a stupid questions.
Apple has a lot of faggots doing their marketing. Faggots understand style, and what is appealing to women. Think fashion. They made tech sexy with their marketing tactics. They made apple a status symbol. All Jewish tricks.
It's like how they made it seem like apple is great for people who don't know tech. AKA idiots. So, self described idiots with money looking for social status flock to apple.
It's a lot of fun to watch this when you understand it.

>Assuming you can, at this point, boot with disk 1 unplugged
I just did, looks like everything's fine. So that's it then?
I'll format disk 1 now

Attached: Capture.jpg (575x109, 19K)

I'm not a pedo, and I didn't create this thread. Loli pics are fiction.
Do you call the police every time you watch an R rated movie that has people dying in it?

Android is seen as obscure and geekystuff for nerds, while Apple is seen as cool and hip and edgy so it's perfect for women and little fags obsessed with fitting in and following trends

I just got b& for being a vpn/exit node.

I'm not.

WTF

network mask in windows static IP setting
what is it mask for/ of?

first row with the static ip could be seen as having mask /32
as its actually single ip
so wtf is that second mask for?

Attached: 4.png (416x464, 36K)

What the fuck are you talking about?

Probably DHCP. You're catching the last guy's shit. Feel free to appeal, or just wait for your IP to change again.

I've had that a few times in the past. One day I even received a ban message from a ban that was ordered years ago

Meme for most people.
What do you typically use the internet for?

How do I get rid of these faggoty fucking ads
Using uBlock

Don't know how keyloggers work, I assumed they get to see my keypresses, but I didn't type it whatsoever

how secure is tor? would you recommend another vpn on top of it?

How do you think he's posting here you retard.

Probably his phone.

Alright seems like everything's as it should be now. Many thanks to the anons who tried to help

Attached: Capture.jpg (1919x321, 81K)

Purge cache and update

Just normal fag stuff like video games, video streaming and downloading. I'm deciding between 400 Mb, 100 Mb, and 1 Gb

You typed it in at some point, or logged into a website that stored it. You've been fucked for a long time. Boot from a liveUSB of Linux. Call your bank and cancel your card, and change your passwords.
You want off the botnet? Install linux. Now's your time. Stop getting fucked in the ass using Windows.

Nothing wrong with that. Just means he can't shitpost as easily.

100 mb should be plenty enough for that. 400 if you have extra cash to spend

>streaming
That's the only thing you should be concerned about.
What data rate stream? How many simultaneous streams?
If you have a family of 6 all streaming 4K video to their own devices, then you will need more bandwidth. If it's just you, go for the cheapest option. You won't notice a difference of the higher bandwidth options.

Any lightweight plugins to add RSS functionality to transmission?
Flexget is a pain to install and use for simple fetching like in other clients.

Nuke it with something other than Disk Management. There's some system thing there it doesn't wanna touch.

diskpart got rid of it, or at least it looks like it did

Not gonna get into the botnet topic, but I mainly use my PC for games (steam, battle.net) and school work. It was on my steam account, the card info, so I'm sure that's where it was gotten from. Bank already called me this morning because if suspicious purchases. I'm just going to reinstall Windows 10 on fresh drives.