/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: gi(a)rlish_number headphones karasuma_chitose_(giarlish_number) ohara_tometa qp flapper.jpg (2904x4098, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/vokyl-erupt-gaming-headphones-with-nc-boom-mic/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_line#Audio_systems
simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-m220-pro-headphones
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/mrspeakers/aeon-closed/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

meowphones

cute drawing of me and the most lively sennheiser headphones

Not sure about newer models, but Koss' old The Plugs circa 2005 were pretty fragile. Good sound, but not great for "throw in your pocket and forget about them". Maybe get a cheap case for them if they don't come with one now?

I'm trying to find a pair of these but it looks like Sennheiser don't make them anymore? Why I loved these shits for travelling and running.

Did they update them or are they truly gone? Do they have any equivalents? NOT portapros those things tear my hair out. I'm gonna be sad as fuck if these have been discontinued.

Attached: 1528622037320.jpg (300x300, 16K)

yeah those have been out of production for about two years now

based momentums.

Attached: bur1.jpg (1280x1707, 500K)

What do you think abot the Sony CD10?

Do you rate gaming headsets or is that anathema to audiophiles?

What pads are those?

The only *acceptable* options are the Sennheiser PC37X and maybe this thing once it comes out: indiegogo.com/projects/vokyl-erupt-gaming-headphones-with-nc-boom-mic/
Otherwise, just get a decent pair of headphones that supports a boom mic or use a desktop mic.

why are all the headphones bass-boosted these day?

alright /hpg/, I know almost nothing about wireless headphones but I know have money and some need for them so any help would be appreciated.

>Budget
preferably less than £200, but flexible (up to £300+ is possible)
>Location
UK
>Source
Bluetooth
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
very closed (need pretty airtight isolation so I can use these in silent libraries)
>Comfort level
high, will want to wear for hours at a time
>Sound signature
preferably neutral, but would rather bright than warm
>Past headphones
currently using DT880, love them but clearly not for this purpose. also have some M50s from years ago; I've considered doing a detachable cable mod and using those as a shitty on-the-go pair but I'd rather have actual mobile headphones and I just don't want to.

How at the Audio Technica ATH SR5?
They're down to $100 AUD

a lot of popular music is hip hop/rap or derived from EDM, hence the bass emphasis

G R A D O S

ur cute uwu

>Sony
Trash

Didn't there used to be a headphones guide website here?

I wish that were me

Ah yes grado, the "we think everything has too much bass so we'll make all of our products have ear bleeding highs" company

Threadly reminder: Fully Balanced is not a meme! It's two, separate, fully-differential amplifiers, one for each channel, that can't share a common ground return. 3dB better S/N ratio, 6dB higher volume, including 4x the current output as well as 4x the dampening ratio. Used in Pro Audio, for a reason. Look it up! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_line#Audio_systems

Attached: balanceddigital.gif (787x402, 18K)

>Budget
~$100
>Location
USA
>Source
Desktop
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
max comfy, i wear glasses
>Sound signature
Don't have a preference yet?
>Past headphones
Superlux evos, left side just broke

Was thinking of the AKG 240s, any other recommendations?

Can I trust this?

Attached: PHR3NwY.png (1248x2888, 575K)

hifiman sundara reporting in

Attached: 1468944683690.gif (380x214, 1.93M)

No.

Damn.

that is trolling material

Alright fags, I've never been to this board ever and I need recs for a decent pair of earbuds under 30$ to listen to my favorite patrician /mu/sic with. I don't care if you get this question 10 times a day, just point me in the right direction and I will be grateful

Throw up another ~$10 and get the meme of the month, the Tin Audio T2. Probably the best price-to-performance at the moment, and certainly solid in their own right.

wow 3dB it's not like my noise floor is already inaudible

Feellls good man
best closed hp hnnnngggg

Attached: 1509561850732.gif (784x860, 178K)

$30 - try it, you might like it. Nigga Bass, and you can EQ in the high end. Plus, it's small and sweat proof - a deal keeper for me.

Attached: Koss Porta Pro.jpg (1500x1500, 97K)

>Alright fags, I've never been to this board ever and I need recs for a decent pair of earbuds under 30$ to listen to my favorite patrician /mu/sic with. I don't care if you get this question 10 times a day, just point me in the right direction and I will be grateful
Amperior

Attached: 1536541237514.gif (1451x688, 418K)

3dB is DOUBLE on a Logarithmic scale! Which, by the way, was invented by Bell labs to test human hearing. simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Attached: intel4004chip.jpg (1075x1450, 264K)

what part of inaudible do you not understand

I've never seen that image before. Did you make it? Either way, it's a troll image.

Stretch to $150 and buy HD58X on massdrop. You'll never need to buy another pair, unless they break that is.

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

I see the drop is inactive right now but it's worth waiting for.

What part of Weakest Link do you not understand?

Attached: Tubes5.jpg (768x960, 122K)

Only 12hrs left!

Attached: 6c664176a873932075a42bc500f2617c_original.jpg (680x510, 63K)

It starts w/source material

Attached: KP Tits.jpg (939x1331, 106K)

Which are better the 58X or the 6XX?
Thinking about getting some Sennheiser cans and like the idea of having something on the cheaper end with warm sound.

I would love to wait for them but my current headphones left side kinda switches on and off which is really annoying. Need to replace these ASAP.

name one type of music that requires a 90 dB dynamic range

Symphonic, Troll
youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

They're actually really similar, the 58Xs have less mid presence but have the best subbass extension of any Sennheiser headphones. You can also felt mod the 58Xs to sound nearly identical to the much more expensive 660S following the guide on diy audio heaven.
I love my 650's, but if you're new to the headphone world the 58X's might be better simply because you can mod most of the warmth out of them.

You can get Massdrop x AKG M220 for $50 on massdrop. They are literally the same thing as AKG K240s and they are in stock. massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-m220-pro-headphones

Maybe use them for now and when you want an upgrade, try something better than the $100 range.

Attached: banner3_20171024173840.jpg (1600x485, 83K)

6XX

Attached: 3rd Portugal.jpg (720x960, 93K)

Wrong.
The amperior has been sould out aged ago.

Attached: 1465753470702.gif (1289x813, 928K)

Attached: Sage.jpg (1200x900, 223K)

Right

Attached: 7 of 9.jpg (419x763, 72K)

Attached: 1980 from 2017.jpg (984x740, 71K)

Really want to get the song WH1000XM3, tried the M2 and it's amazing in noise cancelling.

Attached: 1533045752330.png (1024x682, 786K)

I've got 3 of the most popular headphones priced around ~$200. Ask me anything.

Friend of mine bought them, travels often. Definitely happy with them, although the price is a bit steep.

Attached: 1234.jpg (1280x960, 116K)

What's your preferred set among those three?

M1060 are my overall favourite, and best sound of the 3.

This guy drives next to you when you’re walking on the sidewalk and tells you to jump in with a very familiar-sounding voice. What do?

Attached: D40768EC-4F87-4143-8A9B-A811787C06CA.png (1920x1080, 1.89M)

Now that the m3 is available, I also would like to make sure the sound quality is as great as my akg k7xx, se215 and re400.

Is your m1060 comfortable?

you guys ever have a hard time choosing between different masters of an album

The moment I have to waste time trying to decide which album is better is the moment i'm going to reconsider my hobby.

Should I buy momentum Jow Forums? Are they good for listening on being on transportation/office space?

absolutely

Which version is best?

wired over-ear
pretty much certain the on-ear model uses a different, worse driver

Thanks appreciated!

honest opinion on the aeon flow closed?

diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/mrspeakers/aeon-closed/

Is there a better budget professional high-end DAC than a Schiit Bifrost Multibit?

One of these things is a lie

>Schiit Bifrost Multibit
Yes, any of them

Topping DX7, the bifrost is borderline garbage
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/

M3? Yeah, the M1060 is quite comfy. A bit heavier than the K712, and the ear pads insulate heat a bit more, but still good.

What kind of mixer do you use? Im looking for one but im a swine

Mixer? What do you mean?

I cannot find the DX7 for sale anywhere. Only the 7S.
How does it compare to JDS Labs The Element?

Looking for a 100-300 bucks amp/dac combo.
My O2 USB connector is completely ruined so it’s time to find something else.

So cute
I want to rape her half-dead

School is trash with scratchy pots out of the box. Don't listen to the schiitfags in these threads like I did.

Schiit*

Talk me out of buying a HD 660S
I know the 58x exists but they're ugly and I can get 660S's for $275 used.

I listen to metal, some electronic, and some hip hop. I have a Little Dot MKII.

thinking about getting beyer dt990's. any thoughts?

I have them. They really are good but I'm glad they're not my only headphones because whatever is wrong with their bass makes some genres sound way better on orthos.
You could also just get a new in box HD600 so you get maximal life out of the pads.

>whatever is wrong with their bass
Elaborate? I'm not worried about having ultra bass, I'd rather have clarity but I don't want fatiguing highs as I work from home and listen to music for hours at a time.

Also worth noting that I play FPS games a lot and while I know the 660S still doesn't have a great soundstage for games, I do know it's better than the 600/650 so that's also part of why I want them over the older ones.

Why are they called bobbleheads when the head wobbles?

>Budget
300 AUD ish
>Location
Australia
>Source
Bluetooth
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Reasonably comfortable

What does /hpg/ make of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0?

Have a deal available to me at the moment to pick up a new pair for 328 AUD.
I like the idea of wireless as the use will be at my office desk for music purposes

What's a soundstage, user? There are two audio reproductors in a left/right stereo sound. How do you extract depth from "2D" stereo recordings? Where is the information stored so that some stereo speakers can use it to have a larger soundstage over others?

are aeon flow owners serious when they say the headphones need a 100 hr burn in?

Attached: 1506711922253.png (320x287, 88K)

100 hours is roughly the time you need for the buyer's remorse to kick in and make them sound better, yes.

that is a good question, i also want to know this.
>does it have to do something with the overall frequency response throughout the phase?
driver distortion?
>what about closed vs open headphones?
>sounds bouncing or maybe amplifying inside the ear cups...
>driver matching?
>left might have slight differences than the right channel?
>can you see expected soundstage in messurement graphs?
>what about amplifier matching?
>does distance between driver and ear have something to do with soundstage?
>but people have different ears....
>sips monster sugar free

Attached: 1530189360281.png (1000x1271, 314K)

This is based solely on my opinion and may change. This list is not sorted by my preference.
>hop in
>say "hi, pal"

Beyer T5p or Aeon Flow Closed

I can't tell if you want an answer or not.

yes, I usually just go for the original though

I'm also looking for wireless headphones, but one major thing against Momentums for me is that when wireless ANC can't be turned off, so you're going to be stuck with that ANC hiss whether you like it or not.

yes i want answer!

I can't tell if you have one or not.

Speakers also are only two transducers, yet we don't hear two sounds if they are exactly the same, but one positioned somewhere between the speakers depending on how loud said sound is on the left or right speaker, which is called soundstage. Headphones do the same, however the headphone speakers are literally wraped around your head, making the sound take place immediately around you instead of in front of you. The sensation of depth usually come in both cases from the mixing, different volumes and reverb causing the impression that you are hearing something closer and more directly or from further away, and that you are hearing more of the room reverberation along the direct sound.
Source: The art of mixing by David Gibson.

Idol. Trash.
user, Setup?

Attached: 1526420599393.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)