Which Distro should i start with?

New to Linux, i had Ubuntu on an old laptop, but didn't use it much and the laptop died on me. Now i have an all-mighty Thinkpad T530, havent really used it for vidya, i use my main rig for that and i'm actually learning programming. Is Gentoo a meme or is it actually good? Which one should i use and what are the main differences between the bigger distros???

Attached: thinkin peng.png (219x230, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends on what you want to do. Do you only want to learn programming? I would recommend distros like gentoo or Arch if you want to get more involved in learning GNU/Linux.

Also, I forgot to mention. I'm gay and wants to use Arch linux btw, if that matters.

Install Xubuntu
I'm not joking, I'm using it right now

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-21_17-48-26.png (1366x768, 158K)

Ubuntu.

Play bastard tetris and report back.

im mainly just learning programming and browsing the web on this laptop. soon, ill hopefully be able to use it for working. what do gentoo and arch do differently?

what does it do differently from normal ubuntu?

I strongly recommend Debian netinst, Void or Gentoo in that order. It's important to learn how to setup your own desktop system and know to to modify/debug it properly with little packages as possible.

dude not to be a dick but just use Ubuntu. you dont even know what you prefer at this point so use something that'll give you the least headaches

gentoo and arch are more barebones so you will have the opportunity to do a lot of customization of your software choices. So you will learn more about GNU/Linux using these.

It's a ubuntu flavor, meaning that everything that can run on ubuntu also runs on xubuntu (drivers etc...)
It just works, no headaches, no annoying config
Xubuntu has a superior UI/WM/DE/file manager and is faster
also gnome is trash

Ubuntu is by far the least painful option insofar as just doing programming work and browsing is concerned.

i didnt even really know ubuntu at all since the laptop busted in like less than a month. just trying to know if there are any better alts

>just trying to know if there are any better alts
no, just pick a flavor you like and install ubuntu

xubuntu uses XFCE as the WM, which is very lightweight and Just Werks (tm). it's also highly configurable so you can make your desktop look however you please, if you start to pine for Windows again; the XFCE start menu (I think xfce-cheese?) is very naise

Are Flavors just themes or are they different customizations?

>better
better how
describe your preferences

Do your best to avoid Ubuntu. It's a trash distro. If you want training wheels, maybe use Mint or something. I'd strongly recommend using something like Arch or Gentoo if you actually wanna learn something, and Debian testing/unstable if you want a desktop first and learning maybe on the side.

t. Guy who has used Linux exclusively for last 7 years

Want a retard proof distro? Use Ubuntu (or one of its flavours) or Mint.
Want a stable distro? Use Debian or perhaps CentOS.
Want bleeding edge software, but still a release based distro? Use Fedora.
Want a sane rolling release distro and/or the best KDE implementation? Use OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
Want full control (might not be the best idea for a beginner)? Use Arch or Gentoo.

Of course there are tons of other distros for specific tastes (e.g. no systemd) and people usually get quite sensitive, when their favorite distro isn't mentioned. However when you first get started, just stick to one of the big names. You can switch later anyway.

fuck off retard, this guy is obviously new, ubuntu is the best choice for him

Fundamentally OP all distros are more/less the same and what really differentiates them at the end of the day is what comes pre-installed, and their package manager.

Please do tell why

>all distros are the same
>distros are not the same because of these reasons

they are basically themes, but there are other differences, like the file manager, user session manager, base installed programms etc...
I recommend that you start with a ubuntu flavor like Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu ...
Ubuntu base theme is trash and doesn't look like windows at all, it's not practical at all
my favorite is Xubuntu
t. switched off windows 7 a few months ago in favor of Xubuntu + Win10 + OpenBSD multiboot

also Xubuntu is hughly customizble very easily, with ready to use tools with a graphical interface
don't listen to the shell-tards, everyone knows that command line is less effective for this kind of stuff and is not practical altogether

Install arch, any dout you have go ask on the forum. People there are very nice.

>Ubuntu
>Mint
>Debian stable
In that order, after that you can go for Arch or Gentoo if you want to.

Use something Ubuntu based. It'll be easy and you can just start coding

has the right idea, but maybe straight Arch isn't the way to go. Regular Arch is way too hard for a beginner to use. However, Arch-based distros still provide great bleeding-edge software and an excellent opportunity to learn more about gnu/linux. A good example of a "beginner" Arch-based distro would be Manjaro. Manjaro comes with a graphical installer, a graphical package manager, and plenty of vital software (firefox, vlc, dolphin) pre-installed, while also having the heart of Arch. I use Manjaro for its ease of use while also having the full control and learning capabilities of Arch. I'd recommend it for someone like you, OP.

Forgot to add, Manjaro also comes in many different DE's and WM's like Ubuntu (but you can still change and edit them to your liking after install).

>Regular Arch is way too hard for a beginner to use

Attached: 1521609721979.jpg (197x202, 37K)

do not fall for enthusiast distros
Get something that supports your hardware, and enables you to actually do some fucking work on your computer.

>breaks if you type a command wrong
Pssh, nothin personnel kid

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

If you're going to get Arch or Gentoo I'd recommend installing on VM first until you get the hang of it. You can also try out other distros that way

Doesn't really matter
MX, openSUSE, Fedora, Arch, Solus are all good.

Kubuntu!
Everything including the compositor works out of the box!

None of them right now. The sodomites have ruined Linux and it will be fucked for a long while.