Notice empty space on small SSD is less than it used to be for no good reason

>Notice empty space on small SSD is less than it used to be for no good reason
>Try to clean, still not good
>Find out that Nvidia drivers are taking up massive space in System32 DriverStore
>Try to delete old display drivers
>You need permission from SYSTEM (what the fuck)
>Spend a while looking up what they means and how to give myself permission
>Finally figure it out
>Need to change owner, add permissions, and remove read-only on every single fucking old display driver folder (a lot)
>Won't let me just do it once if I select all of them

Who the hell invented this horrible permission system? First of all, I have to give access to myself on my own PC. Second, I can only do it to one folder at a time. Also, old Nvidia drivers take up a ridiculous amount of space. I don't know if it's any better on Linux, but it seems like it has a better permissions management system. Windows Update somehow breaks on its own too every now and then and I need to fix it. What a mess.

Attached: nvwin.jpg (792x350, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases
nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138070/en-us
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cloaker416/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stop using Windows. Idiot

I play games so I have no choice.

>using windows 10
>not win7 for gaming
It's like you want to be fucked by microsoft as hard as they possibly can dish out.

>plug in linux live USB
>delete anything you want from system32 without permissions

>gaming without DirectX 11.3
>gaming without DirectX 12
what are you going to do next year when they stop releasing security updates for W7?

Got it when it was free to upgrade, plus DX12.

Never tried that before. I do have a live CD. I finally did it anyway but that could be useful in the future.

fpbp

W10 Enterprise is much better than the trash versions you get from the free upgrade, just pirate it. you can disable more of the spyware in Enterprise.

>he's still clinging to the archaic win 7
I can still remember contrarian faggots such as yourself still clinging to XP when win 7 came out. And the cycle continues...

github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases

Attached: delete.png (2342x714, 164K)

Literally every game runs on Linux now that dxvk exists

Or you just open a command prompt with admin rights

Nice, thanks.

I'll have to look into that, but it probably doesn't run as well as native.

I tried the regular del command with admin rights but the files/folders were owned by SYSTEM and my account had no rights. I didn't try del /f

>I tried the regular del command with admin rights but the files/folders were owned by SYSTEM and my account had no rights. I didn't try del /f
Or you boot from USB with a Linux live distro and just delete the files without caring about what Wintard thinks about it

So the lessons are
>stop using windows
>if you use windows just get a simple laptop
>make the ssd as big as possible
Thanks user.
t. linux user

ooh I'm so scared windows isn't securing me anymore

>>what are you going to do next year when they stop releasing security updates for W7?
Continue using it? I don't know about the other user but I have W7 on a dedicated machine that's used only for gaming. I don't browse the web on it, open arbitrary media files or documents, etc. Basically I'm saying that I trust Steam to not serve me malware.

Steam itself is spyware though.

>

hence why all they gaymen stuff is on its own dedicated hardware, completely separate from the machines that store my files, browse the web, etc etc

linux/windows both have these idiotic file permissions

Except the jump from Win 7 to Win 10 isn't much of a upgrade compared to the jump from XP to 7. As an end user you get to lose too much with a shitty OS for some gains from newer APIs/software. Honestly, fuck that disgusting WaaS Metro/Fluent abomination of an OS, when 7 gets too old I'll probably switch to 8.1 and then a Linux distro if people don't develop kernel extensions to allow it to run modern software by then.

7 is the only thing left tho. Back then, 7 wasn't as bad as 10 is now.
there's nothing to jump to when 7 goes unsupported, even 8.1 is absolutely garbage
Once 7 is dropped, linux it is, and there's very little microsoft can do to stop this from happening

XP -> 7 got you 64-bit. And DX11, which games actually used. 7 -> 10 gets you....? Telemetry? Ads? That disgusting abortion of a UI?

DX12 and security updates, more automated maintenance.

Don't be surprised when permission system is actually enforced. The same can happen on Linux. Blame nvidia for the bad installer, instead.

I have 2 exactly equivalent machines and windows 10 boots markedly faster, responds better, etc

TempleOS has no permission system. Who else would be using your computer?

It's nothing more than a gaming OS. Who cares if it boots a bit faster?

>DX12
Low adoption. There are also other similar APIs which aren't tied to Win10 like Vulkan/Mantle.

>security updates
7 still receives security updates too.
They aren't much of a use if the user is a moron that download random crap from the internet without checking things first, though. Companies where security is a huge concern usually employ network firewall and other measures which stop Worms exploiting Windows vulnerabilities from spreading over their network.

>more automated maintenance
Too automated, perhaps. I still like to pretend I have some degree of control over my computer, though.

Windows 8.1 incorporates some if not most of these optimizations.

>permission
>windows
ikr
i wanted to have a basic isolated user
i gave up

Can't you create Guest user accounts or did they remove that feature after XP?

This
You should instead use trannynux OS

Does windows 7 have DX12?

Do any games have DX12?

Yes, and it will only grow

Attached: Screenshot_Chrome_20180921-150037.png (1080x1920, 400K)

>nothing since 2016

nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138070/en-us

>Not using 411.63 WHQL driver

Kill yourself

Don't move the goalposts friend

Updated version.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cloaker416/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

the only 3 of those games that are worth playing have a native vulkan linux port
lole dx12 sucks

>almost all of that is worthless trash
So this is what people mean by futureproof, there is no future

what about Education?

only used by braindead zoomers still in school/college so likely has even more spyware than any other version.

>windows sucks because PEBKEC
you are going to have a much worse time with Linux then. Trust me.

This is what the wannacry victims said.

games are for children. move out of your mother's basement and grow the fuck up.

So we went from objective statements to your opinion. Glad to see you concede the loss.