>supports modern hardware
>dtrace
>zfs
>kvm
>solaris zones
>no CoC in kernel
Just stay away from openindiana "hipster" shit with a coc wip
Use Tribblix or OmniOS instead.

Attached: featured-illumos-e1491067325396-350x190.png (350x190, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/Distributions
pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/en/catalog.shtml?version=0.5.11,0.5.11-2018.0.0.0&action=Browse
pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/en/catalog.shtml
sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoih/en/catalog.shtml
fsf.org/blogs/rms/selling-exceptions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Larry Ellison is a massive shitlord, this cant be a coincidence

fuck it to death

This might legitimately be the way forward

the child project openindiana has a coc that's honestly quite reasonable

gonna have a play with this and see about running it on my machine natively

>no CoC in kernel
wrong

It's basically just opensolaris 11

proofs? I can only find one in openindiana, not in the kernel

It's not like the kernel is a separate project like it is with linux

it is, actually
openindiana is not the "official" distro of illumos
it's just the most used and the most true to opensolaris
you're right in that opensolaris was not a separate project like linux, but illumos intentionally split up kernel from distro
here are a list of illumos distros: wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/Distributions

just want to interject that as much as i think the Linux and FreeBSD CoCs are cucked, the one for openindiana isn't terrible

>inb4 t. jew

I should add that the "defacto" official distro of illumos (a distro led by a board member/developer) it would be Joyent's SmartOS or NexentaStor.
Both of which are "cloud" based OS's, and more importantly, aren't openindiana

>CDDL not MIT

This kills the open source project slowly.

>Just stay away from openindiana "hipster" shit with a coc wip
There's literally nothing wrong with their Code of Conduct. It outlines things that should be expected of grown adults interacting with the world. When compared to the Linux CoC, the Linux one looks like it was written by an overly emotional child (because it was).

>the one for openindiana isn't terrible
I agree with Rabbi Meshulam Goldenstein on this one.

Attached: Screenshot_20180921_192551.png (867x500, 56K)

>Rabbi Meshulam Goldenstein
keeping that one

OI hipster is getting less usable every year. The polish of Oracle/Sun is worn off by developers removing obsolete desktop components and replacing them with either nothing or only command line utilities

Could you elaborate on this?

Just compare the desktop of the latest release with ubuntu mate or solaris 11/12. All the advanced graphical management programs are now simply missing from OI

>All the advanced graphical management programs are now simply missing from OI
Which ones specifically? I only found out about OpenIndiana late last year. It feels almost the same as Ubuntu MATE but with a better theme. Last time I use it (about a week ago) it seemed to have all the standard desktop software I would need for basic tasks.

TLDR - provide proofs.

Try turning on compiz from the GUI
Find the now missing graphical package manager

Do people actually use these things? Not even making a cope post, I'm genuinely curious. I've never used Compiz and GUI wrappers over the package manager are always shitty. I've been doing CLI package management for years. Some things are better done from the command line.

>inb4 it has to be normie friendly!
That's what Ubuntu is for. Anyone who browses Jow Forums and uses a Unix or Unix-like system will know how to use a CLI package manager.

Yes, I would use those
>GUI wrappers over the package manager are always shitty
The old one was fine
>That's what Ubuntu is for.
Shit argument, if it's meant for desktop usage it should provide functionality that a desktop usually has - especially since the distro DID provide them in the past

Then ask the devs to bring these features back or do it yourself. They probably removed those things because it's a waste of time and energy for the maintainers of a small project.

i haven't heard of openindiana or this kernel until today. Tell me, does this OS have a linux compatiblity layer and support for WINE? Does its package manager have a large selection of programs that are regulary kept up-to-date? Can I run
>vim
>latex (latex-suite, pdflatex, all that gay shit)
>firefox
>python (i'm a physicsfag, leave me alone)
>gcc
>a tiling window manager
I've been investigating linux alternatives, but i'm not enough of a sper/g/ to switch to an OS or a kernel that completely borks my workflow.

>>vim
>>latex (latex-suite, pdflatex, all that gay shit)
>>firefox
>>python (i'm a physicsfag, leave me alone)
>>gcc
Yes to all of these, except for latex. I'm not sure about that one since I don't use it.
>>a tiling window manager
Not sure if they're in the repos but they wouldn't be the least bit difficult to compile.

>python (i'm a physicsfag, leave me alone)
Switch to Julia user, it's as fast as FORTRAN but isn't ancient

Browse the repositories to find out.
Main official repo:
pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/en/catalog.shtml?version=0.5.11,0.5.11-2018.0.0.0&action=Browse
official encumbered repo (software with patent issues in the US):
pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/en/catalog.shtml
SFE third party repo, this is for community maintained packages:
sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoih/en/catalog.shtml

Most software is comparable in age to what you can find in debian stabe, meaning some versions behind what linux users can get

>linux compatiblity layer
Doesn't exist
>support for WINE
Yes, via the community
Also worth mentioning is that there's a lack of drivers for various hardware that works on linux. for example there are problems with intel gpus

MIT is shit
go apache if you are doing permissive

>supports modern hardware*
*except for gpus

>>linux compatiblity layer
>Doesn't exist
Linux branded Zones

Does that even exist in OI

Yet another reason why OI is shit
Use Omni instead

Nvida supports Solaris
The driver is compatible with illumos

Does that even have a GUI

OpenIndiana idle look at CPU and memory usage

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 04.27.23.png (912x653, 320K)

Bullshit

MIT is more free as in freedom than GPLx

SmartOS is nigger tier. They have no plans at ALL to support virtualization on AMD chips.

OpenBSD is the way to go.

Not to mention it's proprietary shit

it's fucking CDDL you FUD shill

Oh right, I confused it with NexentaStor
My bad

it contains shitcode by cantrill so it's a big shit os

the only freedom the gpl doesn't give you is the freedom to take freedom away corporate fag

Stalled-man has said it is ethical to sell the right to not distribute source code of GPL licensed software.

but can I run my japanese virtual novels?

> [citation needed]

>In selling exceptions, the same code that the exception applies to is available to the general public as free software. An extension or a modified version that is only available under a proprietary license is proprietary software, pure and simple, and no better than any other proprietary software. This article is concerned with cases that involve strictly and only the sale of exceptions.

Extensions and modified versions are what Chrome is to Chromium. What RMS is saying is that it is ethical to sell exceptions to a GPL licensed software to users, since it does not take away any user's freedom when using your software.

>zfs
Ok, now I'm interested

Attached: IMG_0495.jpg (2048x1467, 349K)

OI does have Zones.

So MIT is more free
GNUTS BTFO

>more free
to get used and cucked like a whore

Does it have OpenCL drivers for AMD R200/R300?

I forgot about that

Which means it is comfy but slow. I kinda miss my days of messing with COMSTAR storage subsystem and crossbow networking. I could literally create a SAN system in 15 minutes without any preparation or even having to touch confia files.

CantrillOS is good shit but I was never much on solaris.

While the OS has a lot of good features and sticks to UNIX philosophy it has no practical use as an everyday OS, its only really viable on a server. Our best bet is to stick to linux and kick out the sensitive types

I don't think they are LX branded zones.
OmniOS has LX branded zones.
You can use OmniTribblix if you need a GUI.