/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: purple jacket snakeoil salesman.png (512x363, 357K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LxrnNQ
ebay.com/itm/New-PRISM-M270EQ-HDR-75Hz-27-LED-2560x1440-QHD-Samsung-PLS-AMD-FreeSync-Monitor/123294200664
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YsJGdX
pcpartpicker.com/list/VkVMvV
ebay.com/itm/New-LG-IPS-LED-FHD-FreeSync-Monitor-24MP59HT-24-IPS-LED-Free-Shipping/123328554991
amazon.com/dp/B00PC9HFNY/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1
amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Scanner-Graphics-08G-P4-5671-KR/dp/B076S4RH6K/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What case would you get for a 1080 Ti/ i7 build, to control heat and noise?

Why do people recommend the Ryzen so much here?
I saw a Linus video where he still says it's nothing more than a budget alternative to the i7.

poverty

1080Ti really isn't that hot.
And I wouldn't get an i7 unless it's the 9700k.

>Linus
Nice bait.

I'd say anything from Fractal Design. Make sure the case doesn't have a window.

bang for buck, you lose 20fps in games for a no small price gap

my first build how's it look?
I have an m.2 drive and a couple of old sata iii drives to put in there for now
got the graphics card off ebay for $140 and I'll probably wait a bit to get a better deal on the cpu

Attached: 20180921-205652.png (729x860, 118K)

>I saw a Linus video where he still says it's nothing more than a budget alternative to the i7.
>listening to a glorified label reader
Spoiler alert the coffee lake refresh is going to flop like coffee lake did

Attached: 9700k1.jpg (756x568, 210K)

What's wrong here: pcpartpicker.com/list/LxrnNQ

Monitor: Acer XF270HUA (it's 1440x2560/144hz)
- 50% gaming/50% all-around looking for long term value
- Is there any reason why I shouldn't get 1x16 GB RAM instead of 2x8GB? Might want to upgrade when price point falls

obsessed

Attached: 1537037697953.png (685x570, 80K)

>tfw I built this to play Counterstrike Source, HL2 DM, UT4 and NuDOOM
>Vegeta, what does your scouter say about his FPS in CS Source?

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: 1950x4ghz.png (1068x654, 102K)

more ram sticks is better for ryzen

>2018
>Only getting a 24" 1080p monitor
I would seriously consider upgrading your selection there even if it means stretching your budget a bit. There are lots of cheap 27" 1440p high-refresh rate Korean monitors sellers on Ebay for sub-$300. Here's the a 75Hz+ PLS panel for $270 with Freesync as well.
ebay.com/itm/New-PRISM-M270EQ-HDR-75Hz-27-LED-2560x1440-QHD-Samsung-PLS-AMD-FreeSync-Monitor/123294200664
It's ~48% more money, but 77% more pixels and 28% more screen real estate at slightly higher PPI which is great for desktop QoL usage. The 580 should be able to drive that resolution reasonably well and variable refresh rates will also help if you have low framerate dips as well.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YsJGdX
thinking about buying this right now
could lower price by about 70$ with lower mhz ram, cheaper case, and semi modular psu instead of full modular. Would just like 2 cents from anyone who knows better. Thanks

my plan is to buy a better monitor down the road and make the 24' 1080p my second monitor

Anyone know how you install a HDD into these things? The instructions just show it going in at an angle to the right then looks like it’s just pushed in on the left. I seem to be having difficulty with that though. Are the instructions missing some otherwise obvious step or do I just need more force?

Attached: 4AC05571-D930-414C-99E5-B772BF635271.jpg (4032x3024, 3.06M)

>Just buy the RTX cards
Just buy them Jow Forums. The problem is people don't realize that the RTX cards are so advanced with their technology that developers haven't developed anything to utilize the tech yet, but once that happens and it is happening already these RTX cards will end up producing ridiculous performance gains. People need to stop comparing these cards to the regular 10 series rasterization cards because the RTX cards were not built that structure so of course when comparing them to 10 series cards, the gains aren't that great.

Just imagine what the gains will be when all of the new cores that are a part of the RTX are utilized properly.

That picture has rotated a bit. Also here are the instructions

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

why so slow memory?

>be in loading screen in wow, or at the login screen while logging in
>pc goes *WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR* and monitor loses signal, have to turn everything on and off again so it turns on again
How to fix this shit holy fuck. I have to buy a new fan correct? It's overhearing? I'm so confused overheating makes a monitor turn off but not the actual pc. What fan do I get/how to fix this? Don't want to spend a ton of money, and would prefer the fan to be quieter.
Specs: pcpartpicker.com/list/VkVMvV
Monitor is Asus VE228H if that matters.

No developer is going to pander to whales who bought a 2k gpu over the regular masses who will buy their game

I don't know if you saw the same video i seem.
What he points out is that Ryzen is much better for productivity.
And as Jow Forums is a board that is very focused on programming and linux etc.., for this board Ryzen is just a better deal because it compile and compress stuff a lot faster.
And the CPU is not bad for gaming either.

Do you guys reckon that RAM prices will keep dropping? Some of the deals are looking pretty good right now, but if its a downward trend I'm willing to wait.

Speaking of monitors I might've made a mistake getting my 1080p high refresh one I just got a couple months ago.
Back in the states I have a 2k monitor thats gysnc and I couldn't stand to use a bullshit regular 720p junk monitor I have on island so I ordered a 1080p Gsync.
It was a good bandaid because my gtx980 doesn't really seem to have good performance on any newer games anymore so going down from 2k to 1080 breathed some new life into my rig.
My question is, do I need to buy another monitor if I'm looking at building a new PC? I doubt I'll buy a 2080ti as they seem a little overkill but maybe I'd be happy with a 1080ti at 2k?
The only thing I care about is framerate and would be happy to stay at 1080p (i know 2k is far better) but I think 1080p on one of these better cards might be helmet-required-by-law levels of retarded.

How stupid is it to buy a 1080 and a Ryzen + right now?

Looking for a solid upgrade but there is always something new coming up...

Am I the only one having problem screwing my motherboard into my case ? I had to take it out and reposition it like 5 times, and even then there's always one screw hole that's far off, making it impossible to have all 8 screws in.

to piggy back on this I've been into making my rigs as small as possible with real sized graphics card. I've used the corsair mini-itx obsidian case which is pretty room and handles heat well. I don't know what case I have now its fucking ugly looks like a 90's vcr but its smaller than the corsair. Handles heat OK, it keeps the gpu in a seperate compartment and lets it get really hot away from other components. Rig has never BSOD'd or anything but it could double as a space heater.
Are mini-itx builds hurting my performance at all? I can't help but think my CPU shouldn't 70celcius all the time. If i get a medium size case will it feel too huge?

Bought a 1080ti from a miner, having trouble deciding which ryzen to go with it. Want to play at 1440p 60fps+ but will settle for 1080p just fine if I have to. Planning on doing some casual streaming. The $200 pricetag on the 2600x is really attractive, but are the 2700 or 2700x worth the extra cash?

Never mind I am a fucking retard who didn’t notice the screw to remove them from the case.

Yes. 2700x is great with PB2 and XFR2.

How's the cooler on the 2700x? I hear ryzen have decent enough coolers that I could keep the stock? That'd incentivize since the 8700k doesn't even have a cooler and is fucking expensive.

I'd still suggest getting a decent one now then you can have a dual 1440p setup later. You are already committing $180 to the display, what's only $90 more for a bigger higher res experience? Alternatively, I'd get this LG Freesync panel for ~$112 shipped and save $70 especially if this isn't going to be your long term driver display.
ebay.com/itm/New-LG-IPS-LED-FHD-FreeSync-Monitor-24MP59HT-24-IPS-LED-Free-Shipping/123328554991
Unless it's 144Hz I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a 24" 1080p panel these days.

what's wrong with a window?

If your concern is noise reduction you want the side panels to be thick dampening sheets with padding, not thinner windows.

for a budget gaming build, should I;
>buy an 8400 now;
>wait for 8400 price drop with te new intel chips, or;
>wait for the 9400

thanks I'll probably go with that
I don't really think i need a 2 1440p setup right now
I wasn't really set on the one in the image I just put it there to get a better idea for price but I should of took it off before posting

There won't be a 9400 on launch, just the 9900k, 9700k and 9600k.

9400 is literally next year along with all the low level i5 and i3s.

Is GPU sag dangerous? I googled a bit and got mixed responses with some saying it will eventually destroy the PCIe slot and others saying it's purely cosmetic.

It's like your testicles sagging as you get older.

It looks bad but its totally fine and expected, unless they touch the floor.

Nice instructions. Follow them.

It's pretty good. Similar to any other 125W TDP cooler. But you do get more out of PBO with a better cooler. For stock, or a mild OC, it's perfectly fine.

No.

will 8400 still get a discount this year? is it still a good chip for gaming despite the security patches?

It was my understanding at the time all DDR4 was the same speed but different models could be overclocked higher than others hence the different speeds advertised.

So when I do my 2990WX upgrade in a month or so I planned on doubling the RAM and getting faster memory, but otherwise it is a solid platform. I do play a few newer games on it but the majority of my gaymen is in CS Source which runs at like 50fps on my 5 year old Dell Latitude.

forgot that RAM isnt 1066mhz its actually 2133 but Speccy doesn't know how to read quad-channel RAM. mine is rated for 2666mhz

Those security patches mean nothing to gaming and synthetic benchmarks

What's a good GPU for a programmer? I plan on throwing some specialized work onto one in the future. Additionally, I need it to support 2-3 1080 monitors, as well as this one (which I'll be buying once a good GPU is suggested): amazon.com/dp/B00PC9HFNY/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1
The only gaming I do is a bit of Rocket League every now and then; I could not care less about choosing things oriented toward gamers. Any suggestions for good monitor arms are welcome - the Amazon Basic ones I have are garbage.

>Ryzen
AM4 so you'll be able to upgrade without changing board. As for the 1080, the near future for GPU looks kinda bleak. Not sure why you specifically want a 1080 tho'.

I also want to ask: should I go for the 27" version of the monitor I linked? Or is the 24" version good enough on its own?

Just buy a 2600/X if you're so afraid of security patches. Otherwise no, your gaming performance won't change by any significant margin.

24" at 4K is nonsense: everything will look very small unless you scale it.

Here. Going for a 2700x, having trouble deciding on a motherboard. Budget's about $100 but I'm willing to stretch a little if something is all around the best. Also, would ddr4-3000 be good enough or do I need to go for higher?

Alright; will the 1070Ti be enough to support all of my monitors, or do I need to go bigger? Looking at amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Scanner-Graphics-08G-P4-5671-KR/dp/B076S4RH6K/ right now.

Decided that it's a good deal to get the 1080Ti for 600euros.

Have I made a mistake? I've read that the cpu is going to bottleneck me, i currently have it at 4.6ghz

Attached: PC.png (479x336, 22K)

Your fine.

why fuck are older gen intels almost double more than current gen?

>6700k $400
>8400k $200

Thought id save money money a mobo for older gen intel but fuck. Considering returning

Linus Sebastian is Canadian, so nothing he says is serious or worth quoting.

But Ryzen because it's the American choice.

I haven't followed hardware in a couple years. Picked up a Vive and my laptop isn't going to cut it. Would like to use it for gaming and some game development as well.

What's a good, midrange, plays any VR title pretty well, CPU/GPU combo?

I'd like the keep the whole build capped at $1000 (no peripherals needed) but I can jump a bit higher if there's a big jump at a slightly higher price point.

People with expensive builds for gaming, what the fuck do you even play?

DCS world

how long is it until the 2080ti price drop? ive waited years for this card

Yes it fucking is mate. I play FFXV for an hour on 1440p with an i7 too and my room feels like a sauna after 1 hour of playing.

What is thing for? Sorry for noob question, first time building and I’m lost in all these wires and connectors.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.08M)

when the 4080ti drops to $500

I browse /a/

Plug the case' corresponding leads onto those pins then connect the block onto moboheader. Saves the hassle of plugging them in one at a time

i mean like based on past launches how long did it take for the "founders edition" tax to go

its a useless accessory. dont even bother with it. same as "cpu insertion tools"

Path of exile. It's such a garbage fuckin engine that it'll bring even a 2080ti to it's knees while still looking like complete ass.

Im planning on getting 1440p 75hz monitor. Here's my question though right now i own 60hz monitor and pretty much every game can be capped at 60fps. What about 75 i know i rarely would be going above that, but i just dont see the point in straining my pc if i dont have to.

Monster hunter world.

If amd drops the ball then expect a price drop roughly never.

Sounds like it's not worth getting the monitor.

r8 my new rig made from spare dumpster parts

Attached: rig.png (826x468, 47K)

dwarf fortress
rollercoaster tycoon 2
the sims

>rollercoaster tycoon 2
I know you're memeing but I'd play the shit out of a new roller coaster tycoon game

What do you mean? I'm hitting over 75fps in every game i play on 1440p. I just dont see a reason to render 100fps when i could just lock it to 75 save some power and keep my pc cooler.

i am not memeing i literally play rct2 all the time

Attached: 1535716715029.png (1039x827, 320K)

I've noticed a disturbing lack of optical drives in new builds these days. How are you supposed to install your newest eroge without one?

i like it. built a pc from dumpster parts back when i dumpster dived. god darng that feeling when you plug in someone elses hdd into your pc feels so god worthly.

>I am a fucking retard
I'm so sorry user.

Attached: 1427928242922.jpg (470x688, 67K)

Why would you even buy them? Are you mentally challenged, just pirate that shit.

So what exactly is the hangup? Worried about the extra $20/yr you'll be paying in power?

pretty upset. wanted a BUHD drive but meme case doesnt support

Enjoy playing them months after release disclet

minesweepers HD

Still rocking my 650d for this very reason.

seems like a trivial think to worry about.

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (591x168, 12K)

i only play csgo. sometimes i wonder. rigs worth 2.5k + $600 monitor

I just bought a 1080 ti and I don't even know why.

cheap? i would have waited for the 2080ti mang

bruh my gtx 660 and pentium plays csgo at 90+fps. when they say esports ready they mean tablets can handle that shit. weak as fuck

>slow memory
>No Vega
ISHYGDDT

I know, it's just my autism nothing more. If I can keep my pc a bit cooler and fans a bit lower I rather keep it that way. You're right it's not a big deal but I'm seriously on a spectrum.

90fps isnt good for cs. aside from not being enough for a high refresh rate monitor it also affects the way hit reg works, even if you cant see the frames. the joke is i dont game on my pc, its used for other stuff

Would really appreciate some of your guys opinions on these x470 mobos

The auros goes for $25 more in my country, would spending a little bit extra worth it?

Here's a screenshot of the listed differences

Attached: Screenshot_20180922-175727.jpg (1080x1920, 382K)

Yeah. The FTW3 model for a cheaper price than the other models. Guy is a richfag who bought the 2080ti. It still has 2 years warranty.

Darkest Dungeon is gonna look really pretty now.

well from my experience gigabyte boards are better to work with and ive run into way less issues with them. that said im suprised that asrock board supports ecc, not that youd (specifically you) even buy it for a ryzen system

Yea just feeling conflicted as the asrock is on sale at the moment

How bad this is? Sorry if picture upside down or sideways, I don’t know why it does that.

Attached: 4485AEE2-C381-4146-BEC2-6560642CFA4B.jpg (4032x3024, 1.66M)