ELI5 The Linus drama?

I have only coded for fun and I don't know a lot beyond making simple applications. Can someone explain me in simple terms what's going on in the linux community right now?

Attached: why.jpg (259x194, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

postmeritocracy.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

SJW takeover

corporate takeover by means of using SJWs and "code of conduct" to push out developers who resist backdoors and weakening of security in general.

don't let the "how" it's done distract you from "why"

you as a non-technical PHP developer can now submit code to the Linux kernel is you transition by cutting off your benis

If you are a trans-gendered Indian paraplegic, you can now submit your Java code to the Linux kernel dev.

corporate takeover*

They will remove developers through SJW shitstorm.

Linux originally had a CoC that commits would be judged based on their merit with complete disregard for the identity or character of the person submitting the commit.

Obviously, that's racist and infuriated the SJWs. They want a new CoC which will allow them to blanket reject any commit by a straight, white male while making it impossible to refuse commits by "oppressed minority groups".

So, new CoC is better than old CoC?

What a load of crap.
Sound like you should seek treatment for acute paranoia.

It's literally the only possible interpretation of what they want if they claim a merit based system is racist.

t. I cut my dick off and now LARP as a woman

Bunch of low-key white supremacists got mad when their favorite OS project asked them not to be white supremacists.

>Sound like you should seek treatment for acute paranoia.
or not, haven't you seen how SJWs have already started demanding that developers step down over things they wrote in 2011 because it supposedly violates this new CoC - which was added 7 years later? This was not hard to predict.

This is how CoC's are used, SJWs and "diversity officers" (=don't have real jobs) at companies spend days on end looking through people's histories & try to use any minor thing they find to bully people out.

Being able to predict that the sun will come up in the morning doesn't make you paranoid. Not understanding and expecting that SJWs will abuse CoC's in the worst possible manner is just stupid and naive.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion. Are you retarded?

>merit is discriminatory
>remove merit and replace it with references to protected genders, races, and sexual orientations

In what way is this not what they're asking for? What could this possibly mean besides they want to place identity of the contributor above the quality and value of the code they're contributing?

That they want to do both, consider the person in addition to the code.

Which means lower standards due to discriminatory policies based on the sex, race, and sexual orientation of the contributor.

>postmeritocracy

postmeritocracy.org/

It's real

>ELI5
fucking kill yourself, redditor

american culture war internet event of the month #24601

the thing is there are a million interesting criticisms of that and nobody is interested in making them.
Like the chunk where it says
>We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on software that will negatively impact the well-being of other people.
Which is pure liberal-individualist moralism. It's not "We have an ethical responsibility to prevent software that will negatively impact other people from being made", be that by actively trying to frustrate development, or getting the government to stop it, or taking any kind of action whatsoever - even tokenistic protests. No, your ethical responsibility starts and ends with leaving the project. Refuse to work on it, walk out the door, let them hire your replacement by noon tomorrow and the product will be on phones ruining lives by spring. It's fine: your conscience is clear, you didn't have a hand in it and that's what matters.
If anything it's potentially even more harmful to take such an impotent approach. If everyone who adheres to the ethical standard withdraws from the project then by definition the people left to complete it will be the unethical ones, which will almost certainly increase the harm done by the harmful software. These people want to "be" good, not DO good.

but it's much easier to just go "it says post meritocracy therefore they want to let dogs contribute code so long as they aren't german shephards (ACAB)"
p.s. Collies > Shephards

>corporate takeover*
aka SJW takeover

Those who don’t study the past are doomed to repeat it. We need to know how.

Now is the time to get .net support in the kernel

Nothing. It's all LARP from Jow Forums fags who keep pretending the Kernel has been taken over when in reality the people who put forth the CoC don't even use Linux let alone contribute to the Kernel.

It's still the same developers that do the work and the Linux Foundation isn't going to cut people over hearsay.

I hope Linus comes back and says "I've had a lot of time to think and reflect on my words and how I projected myself in the community and I'd just like to say that you can all go and fuck yourselves and suck a big fat dick. If you don't like how I don't give a shit about you, or your feeling, and only care about your code, then you should fuck off and fork the kernel. Because at the end of the day, that is what's great about Open Source software. But let's be real. You won't fork it, because the most vocal mob calling for my head haven't produced shit for the kernel and you've been mollycoddled all your life, been given participation trophies and have come out into the real world expect people to give you gold stars for your half assed horrifically coded shit. Goodnight, go fuck yourselves, peace out." - Linus 'Motherfucking' Torvalds.

Damn I love that but I feel that age has softened Linus. He's done with the open source drama. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires no fucks given

Just like everything else the SJW gestapo has infiltrated it. Now inside they are trying to purge everyone they don't like. Devs in response are threatening to retract all their code contributions as they can under GPL2, if they do Linux kernel will pretty much end as the SJWs don't actually code

The new one enforces what you can and can't do or say ANYWHERE in your life. Ex if you tweeted a gay joke 10 years ago you are thrown out. This is what they're doing right now to one of the leads

>It's still the same developers that do the work and the Linux Foundation isn't going to cut people over hearsay.
Except these cuts have happened in practically every community such a CoC has been implemented in.
The first stage of grief is denial, you're here.

I'm going to make an assumption here
they blackmailed Linus to force him to release control