/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: Wd5mkrGa_400x400.jpg (201x201, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7LtbV6
pcpartpicker.com/list/hWY76s
pcpartpicker.com/list/nVzRnH
techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=64aVFS6w2GU
schiit.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JUST BUY IT

fpbp

3200MHz supported RAM B450M mobo
3200MHz AMD optimized RAM sticks

Should work no problem right?

its B-die ya? then its fine

I need some help with building a PC.
I'm using it for gaming but also for virtual machines for college work.

My budget would be 900-1200 USD

While I have an okay monitor (freesync) what's generally a good IPS monitor now?

Can anyone explain me what are molex cables and do I need one to make my rear fan work ?

>want to build a gaming pc
>not in a hurry
>decide to buy parts over time, hunting deals n shit
>have half of the parts bought already
>completely lose interest in gaming
>don't want to waste money on something i'm not gonna use
that was after YEARS of dreaming of the high-end pc gayming experience(tm). weird cause i spent like 1/3 of my life playing games and now i just don't feel like playing at all.

Will Vega 56 see a price drop with the server focused Vega 20 that's supposed to come out end of year?

AMD has repeatedly advised that FreeSync should be used alongside Vsync- that the latter will not increase input latency when the former is active, and that the user of framerate limiting will negatively impact freesync.

But my own testing, and the results of some very well researched youtube videos involving high speed cameras, suggests that this is simply flat-out incorrect. Turning off vsync, and capping the game to ~3fps below the monitor's native refresh using either a game's built-in limiter or RTSS, seems to be the objectively optimal solution for avoiding input lag and tearing at the same time.

Much the same goes for Nvidia's advice re. Gsync.

What's the deal here? Why is the official advice contrary to experimental results?

Is there a case like the Bitfenix Nova TG but with better support for liquid cooling/cooling in general?
I want a tempered glass side panel to show off rgb gamer shit. But I also need 3x5.25" for a cage holding 4-5 3.5" hdd's and room for like 3 more 3.5"HDDs and 3 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs.
The only other case I found is Bitfenix aurora,and seems like that is more of a gamer case(i.e no room for boomer sized HDD's)
Planning a unraid server build with lots of storage and gpu pass thru to a windows 10 gaming VM, cpu will be Ryzen 7.
Right now looking at a fitting case, budget is like $150(1500sek) top.

Attached: 1504296623444.jpg (510x624, 208K)

Freesync is a fucking meme that's why

>t. retard

>t. gsync

Is there any reason to get a Fractal design r5 over the fractal design r6? Any reason NOT to get the usb-c version if i go with the r6? pls help

Attached: D8CRtMS.jpg (374x374, 39K)

Here's a build just under $1,000

pcpartpicker.com/list/7LtbV6

Choose any other mid tower case that suits you.

Don't get an IPS if you can help it, get a VA that suits your needs. There are 144hz VA now. IPS and their awful glowing in dark scenes will ruin single player games and movies when you realize there are fucking flashlights shining at you from the bottom corners of your screen. Go 144hz TN for pure smoothness and no IPS glow, or go for one of the many versatile VA monitors or VA/ OLED TV's if you want image quality. Just make sure the GTG response and general response times aren't something over 12ms if you really care about having perfect motion clarity at 144hz. Just google the monitor model and see if you can find forum posts about people complaining about ghosting or overdrive.

IPS panels are fine

Is displayport the only thing that supports 144hz?

WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL PAYING NEARLY £200 FOR USED 580s

let the price drop you cunts. you americans have got it lucky it seems.

I honestly don't know how Freesync /G-sync has tricked anyone that already owns a 120-144hz display. How the fuck do you even notice screen tearing at such high refresh rates. Do you have slow-motion cameras for eyes?

Was going to build a new PC, but I don't know if it would be better to get a CPU+GPU combination or getting an APU (R5 2400g) now and holding off on the GPU until the price drops. Would it screw me over if I decide on getting the GPU later, or would it not affect performance too much. I'm making a budget PC for around $600 that could play modern games like DOOM at a rate of at least 60 fps even if it would be 720p.

i actually notice screen tearing more than the change betwen 30-60 fps and other stuttering, i literally cant use a non gsync monitor besides for browsing purposes

get a graphics card user

Attached: ips-glow-backlight-bleed.jpg (640x361, 18K)

It happens to everyone eventually

that just means you have a cheap monitor, user.
nothing wrong with ips, not really.

Wanna buy a RX580 Nitro+ 8GB or an ASUS Strix Gaming TOP.
Both are 360€ right now. Will the price drop? When?

Both are fine and you can get the front io panel later for the r6 if you want to save some cash upfront.
There isn't much difference between the 5 and 6.

Is the 2080 actually worse than the 1080 Ti? They're both the exact same price here

works on my ips monitor

>or best offer
AAAAAAAAAH.
So $100-150 for a 580
lucky pricks

Attached: Capture.jpg (1416x755, 115K)

2080 is better

>4GB
>mined to hell and back

yeah, it has less vram

>had lots of tearing with a 60hz monitor
>get 144hrz monitor, almost never use vsync because there is no tearing unless it's an old game which shoots to 300-500 fps
It wasn't even expensive monitor.

Doesn't the 2080 have zero room for overclocking compared to the 1080 Ti? I heard a OCed Ti will beat a OCed 2080 every time

Bump

If you don't mind staying at 720p you can get a cheap GPU for now and splurge on the CPU.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hWY76s

This is around $630 and can do 1080p medium-ish or max out 720p. If you really need to shave off $30 more you can get a 1tb HDD and slightly cheaper and slower 2x4gb RAM.

CRT > OLED > VA > TN >>> IPS

Attached: a-mvavss-ips2.jpg (1480x564, 88K)

All of those are great, it just depends where it's utilized.

I feel like you've never used it.

Fan hubs are so fucking based, I was a retard using loads of molex extenders and connectors and making a mess of my cables until I got this baby
gonna get a corsair commander pro with the LL120 fans when I upgrade my case to an H700 next year

Attached: Deepcool-FH-10-10-Port-Fan-Hub.jpg (680x541, 66K)

Why get overpriced RGB shit when you can have that for the same price?

Attached: noctuainline2.jpg (769x767, 172K)

is the 1070 good for 1440p gaming or is it just recommended to get the Ti version? (also is the current price of the 1070ti worth it?)

You might be less sensitive to tearing than most people. It's true that higher framerates mean subtler tears. It IS tearing if you are running unsynced.

So, is the Bloatware Free version of W10 by Phoenix the best Windows 10 version available now ?

LL120 fans have potential, I want a nice white glow in my future H700, no rainbow ricer shit. Speaking of shit, is the H700 good? Gamers Nexus said it's legit, airflow is among the top 25% of the cases they've tested and it's the most aesthetic clean white case I've seen + solid cable management options.

Look at benchmarks for the games you play.
It depends what you mean by "good".

Pretty sure no fag actually uses the default rainbow shit. That's why I always wonder why people hate RGB so much, it looks nice if you just pick one or two colours

Cases
What cases does /pcbg/ recommend?

anyone got a recco build for a $1200 budget?

I'm lookin to do gamedev (unity/UE4) and film editing

Except even when looking out for them I don't see them in the majority of cases.
It's rare exceptions of games that require me to enable V-sync, last game I remember I had to do that was spiderman web of shadows, even when capping it to 60 sec, I still got tearing in that game.
But again, 99% or 98% of games I play just capping it is fine with zero perceptible tearing.

If you pick one or two colours why not take a SP/AF LED(red, white or blue) for more than half the price, with more power.

Forgot to say, LL series are especially made for rainbow tier shit. It doesn't have profile memory, meaning you need to launch the software to actually have anything but rainbow shit. If you told me ML have potential I might have said yes, but no, LL series are bullshit for coolkids.

It's the iPhone X status signaling of the computer case.

>vs undervolted 1070ti?
That is not a thing. So yes.

Probably not for the same reason RTX that didn't drop Pascal prices.
Vega 56 are quite expensive to make by design with the interposer and cost of HBM. It's unlikely you'll ever seen them much under $400 for many many months.

Simplicity, probably.
There is also fast sync and enhanced sync which are sometimes lower latency, sometimes higher latency, it depends on the game.

Not all IPS have such backlight problems. Mine doesn't.

The basic 1440p AHVA(IPS) recommendation: pcpartpicker.com/list/nVzRnH
Just good value overall and 1440p helps with anything productivity.

Q300L has packaging issues sometimes, but it's cheap and looks nice.
Meshify C mATX costs more but is higher quality.
Anything Silverstone, pretty much. Good functionality-first case designs and were one of the early ones to use dust filters extensively.

What's wrong with Speccy? I heard it was basically spyware now but I didn't read into any specific details.

> for many many months
What about RXs?
Will get one.

It sucks at reading VRM temps, sometimes messes up shit like amount of VRAM on GPU

yeah stock 1080ti/2080 are like -/+ 5% but the 1080ti wins everytime if it's OC'd compared to the 2080
that and higher vram while being less pricey in some countries (2080 currently averages 30% more in France)

Is a protection plan worth it for a PSU?

t. noob

Is it better to buy 1x16GB RAM or 2x8GB? I've heard some people say that the mobo use 2 sticks more efficiently than 1 but unsure about that. More sticks are probably more power consuming and less future proof as well.

You heard right.
> less future proof
Any good ramstick is lifetime warrantied.

do y-splitters mess with the rpms of fans? Bios/hwinfo is showing, even at full speed, my 2 1200 rpm fans connected to one header at 900 rpm.

2 sticks unless you are planning to upgrade in the near future

but 2080 has rtx

Kay, will probably go with 2X8GB then.

How much MHz do you guys think is needed when paired with an 1080TI? I was looking at this techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html and you see quite drastic performance leaps with a very high-end build, but for a single card of previous generation there was hardly any difference.

I'd get 3200 CL14.

thoughts on these parts? anyway to make cheaper? already have a case and 750w psu from 2014 (although MAY have to upgrade psu but hopefully not)

Attached: b.png (1401x717, 201K)

When is 9700K shipping? I think it's time to replace my 2600K.

RX580s and RX570s were cheap like the past 3 weeks up until RTX lauched.
With RTX being so disappointing, they went right back up.

Don't expect those prices to drop until the RX680 or GTX 2060 launches, likely next year.

But the 2080 costs about 20-30% more.
And by the time "RTX" is used in games, these cards will be too weak to run them. Just like how Fermi supported tessellation, but was far too weak to run games which actually used it two or three years later.

These are development cards and a scam

Early October just like the 8700k release date

Why would you buy a 9700k though? It has no hyperthreading and has 8 less threads

Go 9900k or go 2700X

Bump

thinking about getting one of these for pretty cheap on ebay but I'm hesitant because of how huge it is
is it worth it despite the size for the airflow and extra space?

I am upgrading gpu for the first time in six years and have the shekels for a major bump. Since I am aiming for 4k, do we think that prices are where they are going to be for the forseeable future? 1080ti is not going to drop from 650 except for rare sales and 2080 is going to be at 800 through christmas? Is dlss worth 150 bucks?

>8600k
lol
>Freesync monitor with a 1080Ti
Why not just get an AMD GPU? You'll end up having to downclock your monitor lock games to 72fps for there to not be tearing or microstutters.

forgot pic

Attached: corsair_air_540.jpg (450x500, 29K)

I'll have to live with that software crap. Look at pic related, the LL120s on the right look way more vibrant.

Attached: 111.jpg (2288x716, 426K)

Yes, this is the best you can get so far.
But honestly a 2666CL16 works just fine as well. RAM prices get really high for the slight performance increase it procures. At least in game.
Look at your Mobo as well, if it can support it.

I guess Ripjaws it is then, no point going below CL14 either since the gains are close to non-existent. Probably wouldn't be much difference between 3000 and 3200 but might as well get a little extra if I wanna replace the GPU later.

Best sticks should go in 1 & 3rd slot, right?

>Buying nvidia and then a monitor with freesync

Nigga what? Get one with g-sync.

I was looking for a good one for the 1080TI as well and I'm thinking of going for Asus ROG Swift PG278QR.

Get a 280x.
That's gay desu

I have one of these because I wanted to meme and put 9 fans (+2 GPU fans) in one case. It stays cool though and I think it looks nice.

I was thinking of getting the Z390 along with the 9700K when they come out so I'd imagine the mobo supports it.

As we discussed in thread, you should probably get minimum 3000MHz on your RAM if you're going with 1080TI.

Any protips for cable management? Mine are always a mess, but using the out of box cables are always juuust long enough if i set it up in an ugly crisscross fashion. Do people buy specific cable sets?

Do any of the GPU brand partners matter or is that just a meme?

I'm interested in this as well, I know that the fans are a little different that might be relevant to overclocking but other than that I have no idea.

Corsair full modular never put me down. Watch YouTube videos unironically
It will do. Current Z3** mobo support up to 4000MHz

the 280x is twice the price is it really that much better?

in my opinion as long as you stick with the big/medium brands you're fine. the bigger ones tend to have better warranties and the medium sized ones tend (thought not always) to be cheaper.

Why is memesync so shilled here? You can't even play on windowed or windowed fullscreen with it.

I don't give a fuck about the retarded meme leds

Sauce?
The RGB one is more expensive. With the eLLe fans and hub/node. Good if you want the rgb meme.
The normal one is 20€ less than the 540 and 35€ less than the 740.

I found one for $60

>amd gpu

You can safely ignore this retard.

Check for feedback online. Many people have issues with the HDD/SSD hubs being too shaky. But overall people like this case. Idk if Direct Airflow™®© technology is just a meme but it seems really good to me on paper.

Probably late October or November.
>8 less threads
No they're both 8 threads. 9700k is a big upgrade over a 2600k.
I'd get a 2700X, but still.

>Nvidia shilling
You can safely ignore this retard

youtube.com/watch?v=64aVFS6w2GU

literally doesnt matter if its 24 or 3200 or cl14 or cl16 for "gaming". we are talking 1-2% gains here, you guys are fucking retarded.

>guy wants to buy a 1080ti
>just downgrade 40% to a pooga to use freesync. Not a shill btw

Do you think DAC/AMPs do shit? I was about to sink 200 on the magni/modi combo
schiit.com/
Is there any kind of speaker ranking these days?

agreed, this is why retards waste money on computer parts.

they have no idea what they are talking about. 3200 memory speed is not needed for gaming. its like those idiots that buy 1000w power supplies when they only have a gtx1050 or get 32gb of ram when the only game they play is minecraft.

I think ray tracing will be garbage performance-wise on top of having a very poor catalog
DLSS is what could save the cards if the performance boost is really as good as the first benchmarks show it is, but once again it's not gonna be supported by tons of games even in the upcoming year and we lack actual game performance