Convince me not to use XFCE

Convince me not to use XFCE

Attached: gggggggg.png (760x760, 172K)

if you're going to go for minimal, might as well go for i3wm

Just use it faggot.

No

I'm not sure that's possible desu.
Even if you're running a 64 GB RAM machine, I would still prefer XFCE over anything

Maintain your own config.h which is portable between bsd and Linux is patrician tier.
Anything else is memeshit

it's in this weird halfway in between gtk2 and gtk3 phase and all the themes look ugly

>no updates
>screen tearing
>uses gtk

it just werx

>use kde
Get bored
>use xfce
I hate de bloat
>use i3
I hate ricing bloat
>dwm
Ah, finally. /comfy/ to the max

what is numix-* ?
what is osx-arc-* ?
use it faggot, it just werks

>numix
>osx arc
what a faggot

Attached: 2018-09-22_18-45.png (175x28, 723)

>use GNOME
Ah, finally. /comfy/ to the max

Screen tearing maybe? Can probably be fixed but if you're going to use a DE then I imagine you don't want to jump through hoops.

Tsk tsk
Disgust

>no updates
It's updated and it's moving to GTK3 (not sure if this is a good thing)
>screen tearing
Compton is a thing, but tearing is solved with decent drivers, there is no tearing at all with amdgpu.

Attached: MS.png (437x301, 8K)

No wayland and bad built in VSync.

Why would you use an entire DE when just a window manager suffices?

>using a gui

Pathetic

It's a meme

>Open Window Manager Tweaks application
>Disable Compositor, or enable it and click on Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank.

IF that doesn't apt-get install compton -- create start up application in Session and Start up and run the command compton after disabling the Composite Manager in the first step.

That's simple system administration shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes to fix the screen tearing issue for good.

It's development is slow and it has a lot of UX issues. It's extremely stable though and has less UX issues than GNOME and it's forks as well as KDE, which is why I avoid using anything other than Xfce.

Attached: State of xfce in 2018.png (1080x196, 52K)

You probably don't have a machine in need of something light weight and so you should just run a gutted install of KDE for the extra features, or you actually do have an old machine in which case just use i3/sway.

i cant, xubuntu is awesome

>Convince me not to use XFCE
12 hour date format on panel

LXDE is basically the same thing but even more lightweight, use it instead.

You can change that...

>Has screen tearing which requires an obsolete 3rd party component (Compton)
>Mugshot obsolete yet still included
>Screenshotter randomly breaks when taking a large (above ~500x500) screenshot and can't properly paste it. Actually opening the taken screen in an image editor and copying it from there works, which means it's the xfce screenshotter that's broken
>Speaking of pasting, a lot of text from Xfce components isn't stored directly in clipboard so when you close a window of, let's say, the shortcut editor anything you copied from it is lost making copy-pasting terribly inconvenient if you're used to closing unnecessary windows. Non-persistent clipboard is a terrible design
>Thunar doesn't properly refresh thumbnails after image edits and sometimes leaves icons of cut and moved files/folders until you refresh
>Thunar randomly breaks connections and requires closing and re-opening it's window to re-connect over ftp
>Thunar doesn't have per-folder view settings
>The image viewer is trash and forces you to wait for thumbnails of the current folder to load before unfreezing (which takes a lot of time on large albums)
>Image viewer can't rotate images in the GUI
>The media players are shit and should be replaced with mpv/vlc + audacious

This is all I can think of. I'm using Xfce on 2 machines. It's not bad, but it really shows that it's made by a small dev team.

It's not even a default on Xubuntu though. It uses 24h format.

>but even more shit
fixed

>>dwm
tried to use with mint but it was ugly as fuck.
using xfce and its very low on resources too.

I can't quit xfce. I can learn how to use i3 and other shitty tiling wms but I find I can't do basic tasks I occasionally do. I don't want to change my screen resolution from the terminal. I don't want to connect to a wireless ap from the terminal. If I connect a projector or something I have no clue how to reorder my displays. I don't know how i3 users do these basic tasks.

>I can learn how to use i3 and other shitty tiling wms but I find I can't do basic tasks I occasionally do. I don't want to change my screen resolution from the terminal. I don't want to connect to a wireless ap from the terminal. If I connect a projector or something I have no clue how to reorder my displays. I don't know how i3 users do these basic tasks.
this
wms are for jobless neets

KDE exists.

It sucks.

go for it man it's the best distro

Attached: 1535810267118.gif (652x562, 626K)

Because jwm and pcmanfm exist.

I prefer xmonad when doing work, but floating wms are nice too sometimes.

Attached: jwm.png (1440x900, 20K)

Ive used xfce on the desktop, and i3 on the laptop for a while and now i can't part with either. Ive tried every other major de and nothing else comes close in my opinion. Really only use i3 on laptop because i can't stand using the trackpad. But the default binds in i3 are so nice i use them in xfce too.

eat those pods, they're tasty

It's a good de. I switched to mate bcz bugs. No release since 2016 or something... sure maybe there's such a thing as a finished product which needs no further releases but XFCE is not it.

You wish lmao

and no one posted anything convincing
>i'm teaching gcaptcha that trees are hills

I used to be a champion for xfces and the conclusion I've come to is that it is an ugly piece of shit.

IceWM
JWM
Openbox

The fuck you on about m8?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-22_22-58-53.png (330x526, 27K)

No. Devuan FTW

I think you mean "Persuade", not "Convince"

Attached: 1363881968865.png (400x504, 323K)

It's not my job to do that.

/thread

QT software > GTK software
It's light, it's stable but GTK sucks

You have a high dpi (dpi > 96) display

Xfce is literally the best DE

No matter how often I district hop, I always end up back at Xubuntu. Xfce done right.

If you have an Intel chip screen tearing is fixed with like three lines in xorg

>compton
compton is fucking dead, no commits in months now

Screentearig + no support for volume keys on keyboard

>district hop
Hello, Eren

I think XFCE is the best choice myself, but there is that screen tearing issue with the compositor that's never been fixed...

>Screentearig
Compton.
>no support for volume keys on keyboard
Completely supported on my dell laptop,

I had tearing with xubuntu but it works perfectly with Manjaro xfce or LM xfce. I don't know the reason

>I think XFCE is the best choice myself
It's a meme

Fpbp.
I did installed Gentoo® with CloverOS© with i3 and im not moving from here soon. No systemd is a big plus plus.

>DRI_PRIME=1

afaik only KDE and the foot treat switcheroo as a first class citizen

If you have an intel processor add this to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Make it using sudo touch if you don't already have it.

Restart and you'll never have screen tearing again.

Attached: tearfree.png (1366x768, 125K)

>I'm too dumb to find good looking themes.

>>Screenshotter randomly breaks when taking a large (above ~500x500) screenshot and can't properly paste it. Actually opening the taken screen in an image editor and copying it from there works...

Never had a problem like that or (any other) with xfce-screenshot.

Thunar/xfdesktop thumbnail handling is a bit cringy sometimes, but that's no biggy.

>it really shows that it's made by a small dev team.

Agree, it's still the best DE the Linux world has to offer. Gnome and KDE are a constant pain in the ass in comparison.

>/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

no such thing in Xubuntu

create it

It's gtk based. Gtk is bloat.

It looks like shit

I have no idea what XFCE is, or does, sorry

Attached: 1531772404019.png (800x800, 57K)

But user, why would I?
It's the best de we have

i also enjoy gnome user

What's the terminal colorscheme? that green is so good.

The font is inconsolata?

Unity is actually good and comfy

Not him but, xfce4-terminal has a dark pastel preset
It look simliar

Fugg

>i'm teaching gcaptcha that trees are hills
You need to fucking stop it. I keep having to do captcha over again because it thinks forests are hills now.

I spent the last few days coming up with a lightweight VM to hand out to some programming students, and honestly haven't found anything better when it comes to footprint, resource consumption, and usability for people who aren't NEETs.

Movin windows around cant compete with sth like i3 or any other tiling manager.

kek, underrated post