/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: headphones starpri thighhighs torn_clothes.jpg (1500x2000, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CKvbjvzkxtM
audiobudget.com/
head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-2574#post-14496840
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR40ElectretSR4Adapter.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1509470855283.png (1920x1080, 1.59M)

I've been really happy with the Ares. IMO it sounds better with DSD upsampling to make use of its hardware decoder. Be sure to get the current version with Amanero USB for better DSD support. I use Foobar with foo_dsd_asio at DSD256. It's a bit sensitive to noise so use good shielded cables and break the 5V connection from your PC. You can use a split data/power cable or something like the iDefender3.0 with a battery or linear PSU.

Topping D30, schiit magni, HD600 here.

Z for Zeos

Attached: 010888F8-4065-4877-975B-D315688133BC.jpg (748x805, 60K)

That's a very good setup, user.

Attached: 1527398038620.png (1920x1080, 2.04M)

OL dac + O2 amp + HD 6XXs

Attached: 0921182217a.jpg (1040x585, 146K)

Anybody gonna get the Zeus in Massdrop?

HD598 with a TEAC A-H01. My portables are Klisp R6m with a Fioo E12. I have a pair of CKS99, but they are in pretty bad shape right now.

Attached: 37733902_2184044131826611_8681298965976580096_n.jpg (752x1063, 246K)

cute drawing of me

>take my nokia earphones
>poke some holes in them for a wider soundstage
>eq all the bass out
saved a couple hundred bucks and got that hd600 sound

>wider soundstage
You fucked up. HD600 have less soundstage than many closed headphones.

yeah but these were originally iems I had to give them some leakage

A couple of problems:
-We don't know how much they'll be asking
-There will likely be no ADEL option, nor are they XR
-If one cares, there is will be no custom option
Depending on price, options, and included accessories, anyone interested may be better served by shelling out for the current XR model. I've kinda got my eyes on it, but until we know more, I'm not setting any money aside.

There's absolutely no point to not getting chifi when it comes to IEMs. IEMs are a fucking scam, none of them should cost a thousand dollars.

Scratch that, I re-checked the drop. $999 ain't half bad as long as they get the same QC the normal units do.

Still no DAC but that's coming soon™

Attached: hp.jpg (1412x942, 426K)

t. poorfag rationalizing his purchases and lot in life. I have spent a fair sum on high-end IEMs as well as chinkshit, and I have yet to regret either. Enjoy those sour grapes, though.

Feel free to give an actual argument as to why a couple of BA drivers crammed into a case should cost $1000.

Because the company asks for that much money, and people are willing to pay it. Also, boutique outfits that are recouping R&D costs. If you had ever worked for a small company that does R&D, you would understand these concepts. Keep crying about how the bad men are scamming you out of money with products that you'll never buy, though.
>Feel free to give an actual argument as to why a couple of BA drivers crammed into a case can't cost whatever the company wants to charge for them, because that's how it fucking works
Protip: no amount of your moralizing changes how business works. If people didn't pay the prices, the companies would either lower the costs or go out of business.

>crying
I think it's a fucking riot, just like idiots who pay thousands for cables. I doubt any of these shitty dime-a-dozen IEM companies do any real R&D. Just slap a couple drivers into a shell, market it well and boom, you've got gullible idiots lining up to buy your shit. I'll admit these companies probably do spend a lot on marketing to get idiots to buy their shit, that's what the real "R&D" costs come from.

everyone in this hobby is a fucking cuck who will bend over for *anything*. it's got 12 drivers you say? sure of course you can fuck my wife

>R&D costs
>IEMs
lol

maybe with etymotics, others just make something so it does not sound like absoulte garbage and sell it to idiots like you
harman reported a negative correlation between earphones price and sound quality, this market is an absolute shitshow of marketing and audiophools
also you can buy a half decent iem and eq it to whatever target you want, there is no point in owning more than one pair

Imagine being so mad about companies that you'll never buy from (or even talk to) that you have to defend faceless consumers' honour on a Mongolian underwater basket-weaving forum. You're not mad, though; that's why you have to keep proving how clever you are compared to these companies that do nothing and roll around in piles of money. These companies and their audiofool customers are living in your heads, rent-free.

>mad
>defend
>proving how clever you are
I've done none of these things lmao. Your post is pure cope.

cool story

and yet you keep replying...
Thanks! I thought it was pretty neat myself!

Yes, here's another.

Attached: 1536986261359.jpg (447x680, 153K)

And one for you as well! Honestly, I'm just glad to give you boys something to do on a Saturday night.

anyone onow which chinese phones i can use for ksc headband mod?

i just pick literaly hardware from trashben like that camera and headphone

Just finished The Witcher... on Proton.
Proper open hardware.... at least the O2.
HD598 was nice, until I got the HD600. Now, the HD598 is shit :(
Pretty sure you have a DAC. I mean, come on, you listen to digital music, so you must have one. Don't fall for the snake oil. If you're uncertain of your equipment, just grab a D30.

Attached: 1533497030317.png (1920x1080, 1.51M)

>don't fall for the snake oil
>tube amp
too late, weirdly blushing anime girl

Are the HD600 that nice of a upgrade from the 598? I've had these for years, and they are pretty beaten up from several moves.

Nothing wrong with tubes, if you understand what they do. It's distortion some people like. They're also warm and they glow and stuff.
Live and let live.
Yes, it blew me away.

Attached: 1523853391972.png (1920x1080, 1.13M)

Perhaps I should post my experience here too.
from /csg/
HD-25 Pads arrived
Pads work seal nicely after a few hours of wearing them.
Putting them on is a bit more difficult than the original ones but nothing crazy.
The headband pads seem nice too, nothing special.
For

Attached: 1537482164657.jpg (1000x741, 443K)

I'm ordering the DT 990 Pro and was wondering if my motherboard (Maximus V Formula) is good enough to drive these as they are 250 ohm. The motherboard has good on-board audio (SupremeFX IV – AMPed) that gives me good performance on my current headphones (DT 770 80 ohm).

Attached: 1535665537533.png (504x504, 114K)

IME if it goes loud easily(so without cranking it up 100) you don't need an amp.
>t.akg k501

Thank you. Yeah they are incredibly loud on the DT 770 headphones. I often use them as sort of speakers.

Attained volume != needing an amp.
Amps aren't all about gain. They also provide power.
Attains high volume but sounds distorted -> Amp needed.

Lol someone failed physics

>t. $chiit
GJ moron

Watts = Voltage*Amps

Retard

Nowhere in that post did amp mean anything but amplifier, you autist.

Watts are power, gain is voltage. Retard.

>Amps aren't all about gain. They also provide power.
>Watts are power, gain is voltage. Retard.
Do you know how to read?
He's saying the opposite of gain=power.

Oh my God.

Voltage is gain. Power relates DIRECTLY with voltage, not inversely.

>Watts = Voltage*Amps
Correct.
>Watts are power, gain is voltage
Correct.
Now, what happens when you increase gain aka voltage, but you can't provide the current (amperes)? The voltage drops. That's distortion.
And it'll still sound loud, thanks to current peaks here and there. But it'll distort.
That's where you need a better amp (amplifier).

Don't bother; They are the sort that are the most retarded yet believe themselves wisest.

It won't distort unless you overdrive it, which is the clipping distortion you're probably thinking of.

>Voltage is gain. Power relates DIRECTLY with voltage, not inversely.
Protip: The opposite of "equal" isn't "inversely proportional".
You can overdrive an amplifier very easily by adding a lot of gain, thus increasing the current the load will try to draw.

If you overdrive your motherboard output with headphones you're doing something wrong.

Unless you're running low impedance planars, that's not likely to happen.

lmao look in the mirror you brainlet

Need some iem reccomendations, got sennheiser ie80s about a year ago but I think they are too bassy (didnt anticipate this being a problem with iems). Would like to stay under $500 but I can be flexible is its truly worth it. I travel a lot so preferrably at least somewhat durable and detachable cables are a must.

Does anyone know of a free or open source software dynamic equalizer?
Like this
youtube.com/watch?v=CKvbjvzkxtM

I want to either find a foobar2000 plugin of the same concept, or write one with some libraries.

Attached: 2dc51a54b7676c53b6dac58fb134f8f88b388664bed615ce60540dfa33c435b4.jpg (1200x1000, 120K)

audiobudget.com/

Equalizer APO + Peace GUI?

This does not look like something you should be using unless you're doing mastering work.

I said I have a budget of $500 my dude. I want something better

Fiio FH5 is the current hotness at/below your price, I would also throw Echobox Nomad and Dunu Falcon-C in the running. All three have competent, but not overbearing bass. Look up reviews of each and see what floats your boat the most.

More expensive != better.
That's your mistake.

>Everyone should buy Chi-fi, like me!
>Y-your getting ripped off! All you need to do is EQ!

This my friends, is the target market for Schitt Yggadrasil

Much appreciated.

I intend to find out.

>I said he'd buy Schiit products! That means I'm right! I win!
>I'll move on to cable-risers and magic rocks for my final blow!
Even us audiofools have SOME sense, you know.

>Budget
$200 - $350
>Location
USA
>Source
Objective2 with ODAC Rev B
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Max
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
HD598s, want something that takes more power

Kk enjoy your heart attack when you lose your 500 dollar IEMs at the gym.

Oh wait, you don't leave the house, let alone exercise!

If you have $500 to burn on IEMs you could probably look into custom IEMs. No idea how worth it is, though, I never went over a $100 with eardildos.

Way to jump to conclusions, my dude! I take them on the road all the time, actually. It's called traveling for work. I've also never lost a pair of headphones, because I keep track of my shit. That includes gyms, hotels and manufacturing plants. Do you lose your chinkshit all the time? Plus, even if I did lose a pair, I have several, so it's not the end of the world. I could always buy another pair, too, because I work for a living and budget appropriately within my means. I really do appreciate your concern for my health, though!

HD600.

I didn't think it would be that easy to send you into a meltdown lmao

More tale of the schiit.
head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-2574#post-14496840
Remember: 4SCHILL @ checkout.

Did you just decide to start larping as me or are you somehow also someone who travels for work a lot and is in the market for higher end iems?

None of these posts are even me. Identity theft is not a joke user.

I live in Orlando where jerry harvey audio is based out of so I thought about it. Their cheapest ciem starts at $600 though

VST wrapper for foobar first.
Then get whatever dynamic multiband suits you.
EQAPO is a fixed systemwide parametric equalizer that also has a convolution option.
PEACE is an alternative GUI, made when EQAPO was text only. It still functions as an alternative interface.

>IE80
I hate this IEM.
Most IEMs are bassy, but this one is really midbassy, and doesn't have the common decency to have the bass knob affect that.
The ER4SR and XR are options, high in isolation. As with most IEMs other than the IE80, aftermarket tips may help the fit.

Yup, I'm right over here losing my mind, alright
I'm not you, and I'm not in the market for high-end IEMs, I already own some. Also, regarding CIEMs, keep in mind that their primary purpose is comfort. They don't necessarily sound better than universal counterparts, and don't isolate better, either. They're also tougher to unload if you decide to sell them, if that's a concern.

Attached: 1503364022203.gif (200x200, 249K)

>writes a book about how busy and responsible he is and how he has money to burn
>not mad
Uh huh

what's a good dac/amp combo for he400i?

If you're in Murrica it shouldn't be hard to get some in a $300 range shipped. But what the guy above said, ciem doesn't automatically mean the best sound, though you'll get the ultimate fit which can go a long way, especially if some of the regular tips on universals don't quite do the job.

I'm mad, alright...madly in love with (You)!

Attached: 1429167698157.gif (440x330, 493K)

Which headphones have the best soundstage?

the pro gamer 5.1 surround sound ones obviously, duh
your audiophool stereo shitphones can't compete

Attached: 1.jpg (3072x2048, 3.11M)

My desktop has some static with no audio playing that changes pitch depending on my GPU load, and since I work from home animating it gets a bit annoying. Not existent on my laptop, so getting a DAC would actually benefit me with my desktop, as well as having even output from my devices. Most likely getting a JDS Labs OL DAC as well as some of their other stuff; the OL Switcher for switching between my laptop/desktop, and their subjective 3 just because why not.

Attached: 660s.jpg (1412x942, 384K)

Mine's also similarly fucked. Grab a D30 and call it a day ;)
Today's Idol trash anime rec: White Album.

Attached: 1513451322249.png (1920x1080, 1.28M)

Just planning on the JDS Labs stuff because they have all the products I want that will match each other, as well as the objective 2 amp if I decide I want to try a solid state amp. Their stuff also matches the Little Dot MkII aesthetics with the ribbed lines running along them, so I'm kinda set on those.

Ofc the OL-DAC should be alright, and you can get it engraved with your favourite idol or something of the sort.

Attached: 1520462304416.png (1920x1080, 2.86M)

There really isn't the best. Fidelio X2 has the most exaggerated soundstage Ive heard and the HD700+ are pretty wide. beyerdynamic has pretty accurate soundstage to their headphones but still fairly wide

so my Stax came in and they were a bit uncomfortable so I added the Foam from my Pioneer monitor 10s under the pad like this do you think its making a negative affect to the sound

Attached: JPEG_20180923_003049.jpg (2016x1512, 699K)

HD600 is more mid focused and HD650 are a tad darker. Depends where you want your clarity to be really focused. The HD600 sounds phenomenal with tubes though

Get 64 Audio A2e. Theyre custom molded too which is my preferred option at that price

Youd have to get it near max to have it at a comfortable volume. Even my audio interface sits at 3 o'clock. My Schiit Magni is a necessity

>he bought an electret
You fucked up. But no, adding foam under the pads is fine, I do it on my L700.

Yeah I use it for personal listening and production. Really good cans but the cable sucks. Might want something a bit better

Im broke at the moment just wanted to get the a taste of the sound and if this isn even close to entry level then once i get my tax return im gonna buy a full set up

Got a pair of the DT 240 Pro. Really incredible. Probably the best I've heard in a closed portable can under $200. Sound is wide for what they are with a neutral sound with a bump at 300-500hz (super slight). Also extends for. 5hz to like 30k

Also it kind of seems like it has some treble roll off would that be expected of this model? The Receiver im using says im adding 10dB of treble to make it sound good

Attached: 20180922_231935.jpg (3024x4032, 1.99M)

Yeah, that looks about right. I hope you didn't pay much more than a hundred bucks for it. Does it still hold charge?

innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR40ElectretSR4Adapter.pdf

let me guess, you asked and anons here said don't buy an electret but you went and bought one anyways

its the SR-80 and no I had already bought it and how do you mean still hold charge?
Goddamn these captchas are really pissing me off they keep telling me i'm wrong even though the green check appears