The power supply is always mounted on the TOP Change my mind

The power supply is always mounted on the TOP Change my mind.

Attached: TOP.png (888x764, 1.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver's_Travels#Cultural_influences
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Airflow
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Change my mind
no, who cares.

This, also I don't like my power supply acting as a vacuum cleaner either. Screw the bottom mount meme.
I really need to find a good solid old case before it's too late.

Why suck in warm air from the rest of your pc?

Yep.
The bottom ones get extremely dusty while the top ones never get dusty. And dusty power supply can fail.

why let the PSU suck in air from your carpet?

If the case has good airflow it should not be that much, also I doubt it would be enough to offset the fact the PSU fan needs to work harder as it's usually pointed directly at the damn ground.

1. clean your room
2. dust filters

>The power supply is always mounted on the TOP
It's also sometimes mounted on the bottom. pic related

Attached: 11.jpg (1600x831, 157K)

To get that warm air out of the case? A PSU that draws from inside the case assists in throughflow ventilation.

Then again that's another lost art, there's an awful lot of cheese-grater cases that just put fans everywhere they can and hope for the best, and a lot of others with so many airflow short-circuits, with everything drawing from and exhausting to the outside on its own, that anything that doesn't have one gets no air.

why though

top mounted PSU means you can't have a giant fan on top of the case. that is THE most important fan to have

i like bottom mount and i like it used as exhaust

i use a rubber bag and a compressor. keep it somewhere around 35-40psi. replacing compressors is a pain, but i've never had a dust problem.

> Not using 90 deg mobo orientation like a true patrician

Attached: iur[1].jpg (600x642, 293K)

So you say you want to heat up your PSU even more?

Get off my fucking board, grandpa.

Is that your build?

Respect

What's the perfect fan placement in a case? And how many fans do I need?

zoomer city

Top, pro: PSU fan doubles as case fan; con: PSU gets hotter
Bottom, pro: PC center of mass is lower; cons: PSU gets dustier, no extra case fan

Personally I go with bottom for high power PSU PCs where you're running case fans anyway, and top for low-power silent machines where you can get away with 2-3 fans on the whole thing (usually just CPU & PSU).

Bottom mounted ones:
>Get dusty like hell
>Can choke on dust or carpet and fail.
>Can get fucked up if you are placing it upside down with the fan drawing from the case, if a crew falls into the fan (if you are screwing something out or in.)

Top:
>Never get dusty
>Don't fail
>Can not get fucked up by screws falling into them, because gravity.

my power supply fans are almost never on anyway. The dust filter from it has pretty much no dust while, ive cleaned the side dust filters at least 10 times in the past 2 years.

Random one on pcpartpicker

The best is actually at the top-front, and either upside-down to pull air from the top, or rotated 90 degrees to pull air from the front.

Everything else is wrong.

Jonsbo ALMOST gets it right, except they dont have a front intake for the PSU fan.

Attached: UMX3.jpg (800x800, 145K)

>Warm up the CPU with your PSU
Why?

what a fucking retarded design
Airflow will be fucking terrible

no, that's the right way to do that. If the PSU helps the top fan in drawing air in up through the bottom, you can spin that top fan that much slower.

>having carpet
>not having filters
>not having a PSU that is passively cooled
>being retarded

Why the fuck would you ever prefer to have your PSU fan spin vs. a proper controllable fan?

Clean your room/let your mom clean your room.

Untrue, almost any case airflow is made so it has warm air exit from the rear like in OP's pick. PSU at the top like that means it redirects warm air into the PSU instead of it exiting out the back.
A case where a PSU sits at the bottom doesn't sit directly on the ground, it has mounts. It does not need to work harder.

Any decent PSU is rated for 50C input air, so worrying about the temperature of what it inhales is a bit silly if your case ventilation is anything even vaguely resembling adequate

If you put memes aside there's no need for extra fan in the case. You need a fan for your CPU, GPU (usually included) and PSU (also included).

user I hate to break it to you but you could just turn a normal case on its side.

Are you all retarded? Any half decent case has dust filters in front of any intake fan (including bottom PSU mount) and anyone who cares about dust should be using a positive pressure airflow model.

Absolutely rebarbative reply.
Bottom mounted makes case ventilation more adequate than top mounted. So what arguments are left for top mounted?
The whole argument is about case ventilation and now I've argued that bottom mounted is superior for case ventilation, this suddenly does not matter anymore.

power source sits wherever the computer case you bought puts it

Attached: 1487964581380.png (600x600, 95K)

Ebin meem, broseph
Turns out that it doesn't really matter which kind of airflow model you use.

>let's heat up the PSU because lol no reason xDD
I swear, at least 75% of Jow Forums is below average intelligence.

i can hear the fans taking off from here,why do you do this to that poor card

are you assuming my PSU's place ?

COOOC !!! BAAAAN!!! NAZZZZZIIIIIII!!!

Is this this generations Endianness?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver's_Travels#Cultural_influences
>The terms derive from one of the satirical conflicts in the book, in which two religious sects of Lilliputians are divided between those who crack open their soft-boiled eggs from the little end, and those who use the big end, the "Big-endians"

Usually PSU fans pull air into the PSU so at best the CPU is warming up the PSU.

You both are literally brainless

The only truly brainless person is the one who orients a PSU so it doesn't take in air from outside and exhausts it to the outside as well.

Feel free to educate us.

The PSU fan should be responsible for cooling the PSU only, not suck warm air from the inside - these things get loud in higher temps.
As for the "dust from the floor" part, just filter the intake.

those colours are gay as fuck

Are there actual benefits for this layout or is it just a meme?

>Desktop
>Desk
>On top, on the desk.

It's literally in the name of your PC layout, it's not a carpettop, it's a desktop you fucking neanderthal.

Fuck off. Only zoomers and literal retards put their PC on their desk. It isn't 1992 anymore.

Psu and gpu fighting for air. But hey at least you've got fairy lights

You respect blocking airflow to the more important of the two fans on that card? I think you just respect rainbow lights. It's ok man, we all had a lite brite as a kid.

>Psu and gpu fighting for air
Are you fucking serious?

>You respect blocking airflow to the more important of the two fans on that card?
Air does not have problems getting around obstructions, mate.

kys

it might be but things like capacitors fail quicker when the temperature is higher

Hot air flows up you genius

Never put the case on the ground, this is safety 101.

>bottom PSU sucks dust from the carpet
Gee, time to throw out the teddybears and flowers rug and install laminate floor like a big boys room eh

>safety
The fuck is wrong with you?

>not mounting the psu in the front drive bay
its like you dont even want your customer to call you once every few months that the pc turns off while beeping when they try to do something more intensive than watching youtube videos.

lol
carpet is comfy though and absorbs sound

nice blogpost

what "safety"?
like honestly, i wanna hear your arguments

it looks better at the bottom

>autistic meme aesthetics over functionality
I'm not surprised, don't you have a RGB HDD to install in your computer?.

>implying PSU at the top is better than bottom

You're all wrong in someway
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Airflow

tl;dr
Old (Pentium) pc's mount the psu at the top AND the rear psu fan SUCKS air in, not blows out

get some dust filters you dipshit

>Old (Pentium) pc's mount the psu at the top AND the rear psu fan SUCKS air in, not blows out
>This recommendation was removed from later specifications

Attached: 1528704742628.jpg (1125x1096, 240K)

Yeah. The benefit is you get shit in all the connectors automatically.

>What is thermodynamics

Attached: 1313177328985.jpg (242x223, 15K)

>What is gravity

>what is love

So this is what peak autism looks like.

>babby don't hurt me

Higher center of balance makes it more easy to tip over

Is this really a concern for you?

No, but it's the only thing that immediately came to mind as an obvious difference.

Is it a fucking car? A train?
No, it is a stationary object.

its not a problem.

I never said it was

Air is everywhere idiot. It's a good thing because it makes air from around move faster to take the place of the sucked air, and this makes it temporarily cooler because in order for the energy to remain constant, when the kinetic energy increases the temperature decreases. It's very efficient cooling but you don't understand it because you're an idiot that probably dropped out of high school.

Epic as fuck mydude. Putting two fans right against each other truly is peak engineering.

I put my carpets on walls.

The power supply should be mounted with the fan against the top/bottom of the case so its airflow should not be affected by nor should it affect case airflow.

Bottom mount, Fan Side Down is GOAT
>doesn't contribute/affected by case airflow
>makes case less top heavy
>takes in the coldest air possible, maximum efficiency
>easier to hide the thick power cable
>what is a dust filter
>what is ECO/Fanless mode
i run a 1000W PSU on a 600W system and the fan only runs during benchmarks, there is no dust to be seen

My fanless PSU turns off at 40C (yeah I also think higher would be better, but it's cold here so not a problem even in a stress test) so on top is out of the question.

I can't mount PSU neither on top nor bottom of my case, but I chose to mount it on the left.
I don't use a tower case, I use one of those SFF meme cases where I needed a special cable to connect an actual GPU to mobo and did case modding to get better cooling.
and yeah, my case is lying flat.

fpbp

PSUs aren't that warm.
And like I said, the ideal would be if it were flipped around. If you have a reversable PSU fan, the orientation there would still be good.

based and redpilled

Attached: guts_ft02_c.jpg (4825x3599, 1.38M)

If the fan on the back would suck air into the case then yes, having the PSU on top makes sense. If it blows it out then who cares.

>But muh carpet
Fuck off you retard. Don't put it on carpet and use filters underneath the PSU.

Ok
Heat rises.

You literally posted a picture with it on the bottom, so obviously it isn't always mounted on the top.

Are you that guy who likes brown fans?

Privet, drug!