Let's talk Cryogenics

Let's talk Cryogenics.

Exactly how far are we from creating the first working pod?

Attached: fry-frozen.gif (440x359, 1010K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theladders.com/career-advice/the-average-american-worker-puts-in-more-hours-than-a-medieval-peasant
dailywire.com/news/30387/average-american-works-more-average-medieval-paul-bois
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What makes you think the world will be a better place in 1000 years?

>working
They're working now but once you thaw you're dead beef in a matter of minutes.

I'm no optimist but i refuse to believe that we'll have some kind of apocalypse.
You know what i mean...

>wake up in 1000 years
>you're in a zoo as a last surviving cis scumlord

freezing the body doesn't mean you'll be alive when thawed

An entire body? Not going to happen. Your body is mostly water. When it freezes it becomes ice. Now, what did you learn in grade school about the volume of ice versus water? Yeah. Your cells rupture like crazy, and that's not even counting ice crystal formation not being uniform and straight up shearing cells to death. And then there's the whole issue of thawing evenly.

Hell, even when we freeze and thaw tissue samples a large number of the cells die. And those are freezing almost instantly and reheating fairly evenly because the volumes are low. And cells aren't dependent on one another like in an entire organism (a complex organism isn't going to be in good shape if even 1% of the cells don't survive the process, especially ones with brains).

I guess you could argue that rather than freeze they could load you up with antifreeze and chill you the fuck down, but that still has issues with ice crystal formation since you can't just saturate your body with a chemical like that, and that water isn't the only thing in you that's freezing - proteins denature, lipid membranes lose their integrity, solubility lowers and shit starts precipitating. A billion issues.

You'd be better off just digitizing a brain, desu.

>digitizing a brain

THAT'S JUST A COPY.

Sure, and when you wake up in the morning you're just a copy of the you that went to sleep the night before.

>THAT'S JUST A COPY.
So?
It's still me. Chink of it as cloning. It's a copy, but there is no difference.

But it's not you

What's the difference?
If it's a perfect copy, that would literally be me. Divergence begins only after the "copy" is released and we get different experience. At the moment of copying it is me.

Depends on your interpretation of the Ship of Theseus.

Why not? If it walks, talks and thinks like I do (At least as far as you can tell) Is it not me? How do I know that you all are

>i refuse to believe that we'll have some kind of apocalypse.
The moon can literally fall on the earth. We recently discovered a comet a month before passing earth.

It will be a copy of you. More like a twin brother. It may be you, but you won't be him. Your mind won't be in that body, you won't be able to see the new world by his perspective.

I just woke up from mine. These days I'm only awake from my pod once every few months.

Not if you slowly replace your brain with digital components/biomechanical ones. I don’t understand why everyone thinks it would be robot metal, it’s much more likely it would just be gel that looks like our brain without the retarded ageing/alzheimers shit going on.

>tfw born too early to live forever
Fuk

Are "you" the network created by the neurons in your brain, or the cells and matter making up your brain? Which specific cell/atom are you? Because those will change throughout your life. If you're just a network then any equivalent representation of that network would be equally "you", at least the you at the time it was forked.

So you're an NPC?

I think the pods aren't the problem, it's waking you up afterward.

>What's the difference?
The difference is it won't be the same as you. They aren't going to reproduce your ugly mug, they will stick you in a body THEY want to see. That's how "You become the girl below" works.

Attached: Busty girl on train.jpg (796x666, 94K)

>Ship of Theseus
thanks for this, never heard of it before

I mean you can freeze yourself RIGHT NOW and it works. You just wont survive it.

And? If I end up being dead anyway the copy will be around to try fucking your bitch. The same arguement can be used for falling asleep.

And fuck the ship, it both the same ship and an entirely new ship. The only thing that changed was the label that we attached to it. Something that can be argued didn't exist in totality in the first place. So then what does exist? Only ever shifting relations and labels. Here one day, gone the next.

Nothing can exist in absolute, this user sure as fuck doesn't.

hologram gf

Cryogenics is more related than related

It will only be you if they manage to, instead of just copying your memories and conciousness, copy/move your memories AND MOVE YOUR CONCIOUSNESS to a computer. As in, there can only be one POV that you can see through, and there has to be a way to make that happen with the digital version instead of the original version.

It's easier to stop aging than whatever else was proposed ITT

Attached: 257510_screenshots_2015-12-23_00003.jpg (1920x1080, 415K)

this

un-bump.

The only thing i see on sci is people asking for help with their math homework.
Cryogenics is technology and therefore belong on Jow Forums.

Turns out freezing your body kills you.
Also freezing someone for long requires a lot of energy.

Yes, because WE NEED MORE graphics cards threads, dont we? Retard.

Yes, more GPU threads, and watch threads. Also this shit should be on not /sci/.

The world was a worse place 1000 years ago.
>inb4 "noticing trends is fallacious reeee"

Cryogenics isn't spooky it's a form of technology.

We can put them to sleep now without damaging tissues too much, we replace all the fluids in the body with a potent antifreeze so that the frost doesn't damage the cells too much.
Honestly when we get nanotech up and running waking people up should be fairly easy if they can get an undamaged dna sample from the body. The machines would just "repair" whatever was damaged by centuries of being frozen.

don't trigger the poltards

It's a better place because technology has reduced scarcity leading to advancements in art. Things aren't better for any of your social justice meddling, scum.

Attached: 1426010404478.png (520x512, 51K)

Your consiousness wont exsit anymore if its only a copy if your brain. Think White Christmas. That AI thought it was just ripped out of its body, but the real woman acted out her normal life. If digitize your brain, the AI will have the fun and you will not.

yeah i'm sure we'd be better off with serfdom

>if you're not this kind of extremist then you're that kind of extremist

game?

The average American works more than a Medieval serf, faggot.

theladders.com/career-advice/the-average-american-worker-puts-in-more-hours-than-a-medieval-peasant

I was beginning to wonder if any of faggots had even read neuromancer or not.

They also make alot more money

Shit, wrong link: dailywire.com/news/30387/average-american-works-more-average-medieval-paul-bois

The world was a better place 2000 years ago. The trend is overall decline and it seems to be accelerating.

>Thinking that "money" is in some way the measure or richness
Medieval societies were way more equal than modern societies, even the fucking king didn't have 1/100 of the power of a random Bill Gates. Even the poorest peasant had a peaceful life, and worked only some months every year.

If people died of hunger, it was because of bad crops, not because of their social system; they just didn't have the technology to prevent illnesses or bad crops.

Why do you think serfdom lasted for 1000 years?

The money is also worth a lot less.

hahahahahahaha
I'd tell you to have fun dying at 30 but you'd probably have some sodapressed reddit shit to spout in favor of that.

You don't wake up, someone identical to you wake up.
Your point of view is gone.
I only will trust those things if they manage to create two identical people that share the same "point of view", being a really buggy and fucked up person.

>Medieval societies were way more equal than modern societies

Attached: 1388809639767.png (699x699, 1.03M)

There is this frog that can survive freezing, so probably you can hack people to have the same substances and shit.

not too far. trust me.

>Medieval societies were way more equal than modern societies
what does 'equal' mean? There was no social mobility. You were born a peasant, worked as a peasant for your lord and didn't get any choice about it, it was essentially slavery

>retarded dirt-farming peasants live in poverty
>"yeah but there weren't any feminists hurting their feelings on the internet so life was way better"

Attached: 1537557046453m.jpg (1024x682, 77K)

Wot if they sucked out all the water first

The world wasn't nerfed back then so dumb people died earlier and brought down the overall life expectancy. I'm not sure how you sure how you spin this as a bad thing. Enjoy your idiocracy

catching a disease has little to do with intelligence

By "more equal" I mean that the difference in the amount of resources owned by a noble and a peasant was lower than the one between, say, Donald Trump and a small business owner today.

that's a pretty irrelevant measure of equality

they were basically fucking slaves. holy shit you a retard.

>get papercut
>die because disinfectant doesn't exist

>exist
>get some easily curable disease because everything is dirty as fuck
>die

>they were basically fucking slaves
>when your perception of the social situation of the Middle Ages comes from what you see on Game of Thrones.

>>die because disinfectant doesn't exist
>not using garlic as an antibiotic

It has a lot to do with it. You can avoid a lot of diseases like AIDS and hepatitis just by listening to you disgust instincts.

go read A Song of Ice and Fire brainlet.

okay then, tell me how much freedom a peasant had.

had, I should have said
people didn't know where the fuck they came from, they didn't even know about contagion spread

>get papercut
>die without disinfectant
t. AIDS infected faggot

Just get in spaceship, go real fucking fast then turn around and come back. You can easily return in the year 10,000 and only be a few years older.

Much more than we have

That dude is just trolling, don't bother.

>Ship of Theseus

Had to google that. Man those ancient greeks were fucking retarded. Paradox my ass.

You don't need to know where they came from to listen to your disgust instincts. My instincts tell me a dude busting a load in my asshole is bad. My instinct tells me to not eat stuff that touched shit. 50000 years after this instinct evolved science tells us why.

Let's go to the fucking Wikipedia m8:

>Serfs had a specific place in feudal society, as did barons and knights: in return for protection, a serf would reside upon and work a parcel of land within the manor of his lord. Thus the manorial system exhibited a degree of reciprocity.
One rationale held that a serf "worked for all" while a knight or baron "fought for all" and a churchman "prayed for all"; thus everyone had a place. The serf was the worst fed and rewarded, but at least he had his place and, unlike slaves, had certain rights in land and property.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

So no, they were not "basically slaves". Even serfs, the lowest class in the Middle Ages, had some rights. And serfs werr not even the norm: They were usually something like 10% of the population; the vast majority were free commoners.

If you think that people in the Middle Ages were "slaves" you need to stop watching Hollywood movies.

All those pissed at you are yanks whose ancestors left on boats because they couldn't make it

>Up until the late 15th-century European social order was relatively stable. There were periods where the common people felt oppressed in certain regions, but often they were content with their lot. In 12th-century England for example, while the common people would sometimes complain about the "Norman yoke" [14] there was almost no unemployment and the average commoner only had to work only about 20 hours per week.[15]

>okay then, tell me how much freedom a peasant had
From what we know about the middle ages, probably a lot more than you. And they were likely healthier too.

>had certain rights
hahaha
rights enforced by who?
their lord could do whatever he wanted to them

>read a fucking novel in order to educate yourself about history

Stop believing everything they tell you in government schools.

lmfao, being this retarded

>Exactly how far are we from creating the first working pod?

My educated guess is a couple hundred years. We're fairly sure that the information that makes up """"you"""" is preserved when the brain tissue is vitrified, the problem is transferring that information back into a new working brain + body. Studies on vitrification show that frost damage is minimal and we know that there is no metabolic activity.

kids happily play in mud and dirt. These "instincts" are drilled into you by your parents who know where germs come from

>their lord could do whatever he wanted to them
And yet the vast majority of lords treated their serfs just fine.

It's not like human empathy was only invented in the past 100 years. Of course, progressives would like you to believe that.

>can't answer the question

sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't, the bottom line is you weren't a citizen with freedoms, you had your lot in life and that was it, it wasn't terrible but you didn't have a choice, which is the essence of slavery, it's not like all black slaves had terrible lives in the USA either

Just stop dude. You've already revealed that your knowledge of european history is limited to public school textbooks with your "serfs were slaves" maymay. Have some humility and buy a real history book by a reputable author, go learn what the middle ages were really like.

>can't answer the question

Serfs had Manorial courts that enforced their rights brainlet

I'm the user you replied to and I admit the Roman Empire would be pretty comfy.

doesn't that ultimately fall under the lord aswell?

What they were "considered" is irrelevant. That they had "choices" is irrelevant. The fact remains that the vast majority of serfs were well fed and treated just fine.

Literal chattel slaves had zero autonomy, yet the vast majority of them were treated well by their masters. So obviously the amount of "rights" you have (whatever that means) doesn't necessarily correlate with how you are actually treated.

>That they had "choices" is irrelevant.
yeah who wants a choice about what to do with their lives you should just do what you're born into

That's just your 21st century biases talking. If you had been born back then, you would have been content taking up your father's career.

Do you think having choices makes you happy?

The Talos Principle

>That's just your 21st century biases talking
Well I'm sure we could go back to living as hunter gatherers and say our penchant for civilization is just a bias because people living in tribes seem happy enough
>Do you think having choices makes you happy?
yes

I'm not saying we should go back to a hobbesian state of nature, dude. I'm just saying that the level of stability and peace achieved during that particular period of time has been unmatched ever since.