Why didn't they make USB round?

for 365 degree connectivity?

Attached: 1518916468584.jpg (1000x1000, 84K)

Among other reasons, probably for patent purposes.

Too expensive

there literally are adapters for usb to tlrs, so go ahead

trrs, fuck me

Honestly what were they thinking when they made the connector? It's one of the least satisfying connectors I've had the displeasure to use.

what, are round connectors patented?

Because it's impossible, morons.
Because it has more than 2 contact pins, and that would allow you to spin the plug and effectively disconnect every pin all at once just for accidentally rotating the plug.
Is this a serious fucking question? There is a stupid questions thread after all. Jesus christ.

guess this really "triggers" your "autism"

Attached: 71BpVthgHAL._SL1500_.jpg (1486x1500, 194K)

There cant be rings within rings?

Because there's no setup where you don't short 5V to GND as you plug it in.
No, turning the power supply off until a handshake is not electrically responsible.

>wanting to short 5v lines with data pins

>Because it has more than 2 contact pins, and that would allow you to spin the plug and effectively disconnect every pin all at once just for accidentally rotating the plug.
yeah I hate when that happens with my 3.5mm jack

btfo

this, square people just can't think in circular

Many headphone jacks have an extra contact to indicate the plug is fully inserted.
However a 3.5mm plug isn't a good environment for low voltage high bandwidth signals.

I sure do love breaking the controller when the wrong pins come into contact with each other.

That's not how it works. A phone or any device with a 3.5mm input will detect insertion by detecting the short between L/R and GND. That's on normal TRS jacks. On phones and the headsets w/ mics that they come with, the jack and the plug is a TRRS connector. That extra ring isn't for any handshake, it's for the microphone.

>No, turning the power supply off until a handshake is not electrically responsible.

I don't see why not?

Just add some transistors to stop any current unless all 4 wires are connected.

>bridging the data pins with the power pins
lmao

In theory could be converted to USB since it has 4 connections.

USB -> female 3.5mm jack female 3.5mm jack -> USB

USB has 4 wires too. 2 data (send/receive), 1 power, 1 ground. If the wires are soldered correctly.

Not sure about the speed

that's not possible because USB is a quantum state

Attached: USB-Superposition-720c.png (720x515, 69K)

It's more than a theory.
Some devices use just that, both for charging and for data.
I had a digital camera with it once.

Attached: 1537225776281.jpg (500x500, 35K)

Those devices don't even draw that much current anyways.

>data over jack is impossi-

Attached: 61 LN vyitL._SL1280_.jpg (1280x1280, 69K)

based and redpilled

That's rca, you fucking dumbass. It's still sending analog signals.

>analog audio and video
the 3.5mm jack literally causes a short every time it's inserted or pulled out. I sure enjoy my hourly 20V5A shorts in my expensive and complicated electronic devices.

They would obviously have to build in protection.
But that would only make your devices more resistant.

Anyone could fuck up a USB signal.
Didn't Apple accidentally send out 20V instead of 5V on a USB port while charging?

Ummm...
What if something like that?

Attached: strixcontrol.png (264x235, 57K)

protection is meant for a worst case scenario
you're looking at a hotplug type of device. That protection on this theoretical USB port is only going to wear out after a few uses.

Mein Neger

USB fags BTFO

That doesn't mean it can't be done.

Why should it? Your shit design is only going to increase cost and decrease performance.

Is that a 3 phase electric kettle connector?

>zoomers don't remember the iPod Shuffle

Attached: 61bHq4WI5QL._SX425_.jpg (425x292, 6K)

I doubt that thing even drew 500mA.

It's not my design, but transistors don't cost very much, and performance won't be hindered but by a few ms during attaching/removing devices. People are used to hundreds of ms of delay on their phones and computers today, so a couple more ms won't be noticed while the benefits of a rolling cable is noticeable.

What the shit? What exactly does that DAC/ADC do?

at last I understand

Attached: 1519709750577.jpg (867x630, 246K)

>transistors don't cost very much
>he thinks transistors function on the same way in the textbook exercises
>he wants to increase the cost of the port
>he thinks creating a path between the data and power pins is a good idea

Hear me out, Jow Forums
Why don't we just simply not use any connectors or cables for transfering data and charging?
Oh wait, that's already happening. I haven't plugged my phone into anything in a year.

Do you have an argument or do you just enjoy talking to yourself?

You aren't making an argument.

What you essentially have is an inferior design. Few cents or not, it costs more. Not only that, those transistors that are meant to disable the contacts to "disable" the contacts until all contacts are properly seated is going to create a path between the data pins and power pins. Any leakage is going to kill bandwidth. Again

>Not only that, those transistors that are meant to disable the contacts to "disable" the contacts until all contacts are properly seated is going to create a path between the data pins and power pins.
Explain this out a little better. It's confusing.

>a 5V 1mOHM pull-up I/o pin gets damaged when connected to 5V
the 3.5mm plug is retarded for other reasons, but you seem to overlook
Such cables do exist in commercial devices

Just make the deepest pin the 5v source

>that meme
THIS IS SO FUCKING RETARDED.

My autism can't even comprehend.
It is fucking impossible to insert a usb type-a the wrong way round. Because one side (the top) is always marked with some text or symbol or whatever. You always FEEL which way round it should be.
How retarded are people? I seriously don't get this meme and it makes me very very angry.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1300x1052, 130K)

You want those set of transistors to detect if all of the pins are connected, yes? Those transistors are going to create a path between i/o and power. Leakage through the transistors is going to kill bandwidth.
I sure do want that 5v source connect with another 5v source.
USB 2.0 was fairly slow and, more of then than not, the flash was the actual bottleneck to file transfer. Also, they were low power devices that sipped power. Compare that shit to what we have today. 5-10 watts from normal cellphone chargers, USB3 with 5Gbps bandwidth.
That would mean the outer, most easily accesible rim is the active power source.

It's not a dac/adc, iPod Shuffle used its 3.5mm jack for both audio output and USB connection.

people are retarded enough they had to invent USB-C

Yo dumbass, you put the power pin on the end of the plug so that it's the last to make contact and this isn't an issue.

Or, you use a barrel connector with several concentric barrels. Although that design would be expensive, bulky, and fragile.

No one spends any time looking or feeling which way the fucking thing should go in. You just grab it and jam it in. Most of the time it doesn't work on the first go.
Besides even when you spend time looking at which way it should go in, it still doesn't work.

Attached: mgs usb.gif (399x347, 1.87M)

I actually hate this shit. I lost it and then the only working replacement i had was some shitty speaker dock that stopped working. Noe i havent used my shuffle in years. Good sound quality

No. you just need to detect if +5v is connected then open the transistors up.

>365 degree

Attached: frog wat.png (330x352, 128K)

Why would you even do this is the 5V contact is the last one on the plug and deepest in the receptacle, as I said here ? I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason that wouldn't work

The transistors are constantly connected in order to detect connection. Transistors are not physical switches. "on" or "off" leakage is going to happen.

Yes there is. The "pins" could be concentric rings like this.

Attached: lpks028-02s-u2_JkOmUDqtpM.jpg?auto=compress&w=900&h=675&fit=min&fm=jpg.jpg (900x675, 56K)

That only concerns when the voltages are negative compared to the gate.

>365 degree

Jow Forums is officially 4th grade math level

Attached: 1537423473658.png (402x398, 126K)

>365 degrees
>burning down the house
Not a big talking heads fan?

problem is, youd need a male male cord and exposed contacs are always bad.
making the 3.5mm plug enclosed with gnd as ring would be a superior design choice
>Contacts protected
>mechanical secure
>Data shielded
I see no reason this isnt a thing already

Attached: 6587658765876.png (603x464, 12K)

As many as the days in a week!

Its much more difficult to manufacture conical data pins than rectangular ones, more so when you get to +4 data pins.

Wouldn't that just mean that you can turn it by a full circle and then stop 5 degrees later?

Attached: Z6AIgAv.jpg (1576x996, 170K)

Maybe not even that.
Pic related.

Attached: u.jpg (640x426, 28K)

I applaud you for inspecting both your USB stick/cord/dongle each time prior to insertion. the port's mostly likely on the front of your case, or you're already familiar which side is up on the side of your laptop

if you have an old-ass case or you're in some strange office where you have to lean into some cramped space to reach the back of the case, or (most often) it's dark as fuck, you're not going to see which end is which. you just jam it in and pray for the best (hoping not to get bitten by a black widow or brown recluse crawling back there somewhere).

Attached: ryo adapter.gif (680x347, 1.6M)

Almost a USB cables are male male

exactly, usb cables are also enclosed

this, OP is a genius

usb-d will be round

>365 degree

Attached: dumbass.png (504x637, 510K)

Even by the time the shuffle came out there were USB mini B players out there that far easier to manage, some even had expandable memory. Perhaps the first thing made me wonder why did people buy the apple device over pretty much anything else.

Retard alert

I came to the conclusion that the USB Implementers Forum (USB IF) is a bunch of greedy retards. That's why.

poor behavior at RF frequencies.