Gnome vs KDE

>>kde is exactly what i'm looking for, but...
>too many features
>some things are just missing
>written in C++

>>gnome is weird and i don't like it, but...
>runs fast
>streamlined
>written elegantly in C
>major things are there

Just kill me already

Attached: pancaked_glenda.png (510x562, 103K)

>>written elegantly in C

Attached: fedora.jpg (480x600, 21K)

Wondering this for a while, is there some underlying reason people prefer binaries written in C over binaries written in C++ or vice versa? I understand coding in C vs C++ and vice versa because of syntax and feature preference. but are there actual viable differences between C and C++ binaries? And what about different compilers for each language?

The underlying reason is that these people have a strong opinion on a subject they do not understand.

Just use KDE

You're an NPC, sorry OP. Luckily, knowing that you're an NPC won't cause you any epistimological angst or cognitive dissonance since you're just an NPC.

Attached: Linux DEs.jpg (677x1400, 199K)

swap the bottom 2 and we're good. xfce has had no significant advantage over kde for a very long time now. kde uses about the same amount of RAM even.

where would sway go?

directly into the trash

>Neet

C++ is a bad language. The compilers are slow and you can't hack on the software made in it very easily

>Neet
Projecting, much?

Butthurt, much?

>arguing against features
Go away and never return. On top of that:
>lying about everything still being there in Gnome
>streamlined with hundred extensions

>owned le ebic style xDDD

I just can't stand KDE, and it's not for a lack of trying. I wanted to get something that functioned the same as windows, and KDE seemed like it, but it looks like ass, and all the themes look like shit.
Budgie is more my speed. GTK3 has a lot of good looking themes and animations, and it's easy to get an interface similar to Windows.

lmao the day GNOME3 runs consistently smooth as KDE is the day Terry rises from the theoretical grave

>C++ is a bad language.
Found the unemployed CS major

Golang, Clojure and C all the way

Are you having a stroke?

No, GNOME3 doesn't run as smooth or fast as KDE, but anything based on GTK does, and it's a pity, but expected since Mutter is written mostly in JavaScript

GNOME is written in JS too

>NPC
quit forcing this retarded meme

Gnome is written in JS and Vala

Gtk is gnome, gtk is C

Other way around, and yes mostly true but there's a ton of JS and Vala calls

As a developer I'd say that in some cases C based binaries are often not only smaller but also easier to debug.

>some things are just missing
Like a file picker with thumbnails?
>major things are there
Like a file picker with thumbnails?

except gtk is depracated, every de including gnome uses gtk+

>gnome
>runs fast
>streamlined
you're kidding right
>written elegantly in C
it's full of javascript and eat memory

That is the same thing

Attached: you.jpg (735x541, 35K)

only thing I add to a default gnome install is fbreader and vim. It's the working man desktop. You just move windows trough workplaces and you have a nice workflow.
Also I uninstall shit like evolution or contacts that runs on the background
>consistently krashes

>Consistently krashes
FUCKING THIS

The piece of shit crashes the system settings, so i try to kill it and kwin crashes, i use my open terminal window to restart it and then the logout menu crashes

>written elegantly in C

Attached: 2018-9-23_21-42-42_1537731762496774347.png (944x108, 18K)

I don't understand how people unironically use gnome3. design is ugly as fuck, it's pure bloat with its js extensions and there's many other normie friendly DE's out there that are much more stable for 24/7 usage, like lxde or xfce4.

hell, at least use gnome2 or a fork of it like MATE, gnome3 is where it really started going downhill. I can have my pc running for months non-stop on lxde and xfce4 without slowdowns of memory usage creep, while gnome would start chugging after barely 24-48 hours. I don't advocate for a particular DE, in fact I can get work done on pretty much any DE or window manager that doesn't fucking hog resources like crazy as long as I have a terminal, vim and tmux, but gnome3 is just shooting yourself in the foot on all fronts.

it's sad that people use gnome3 as a reference of the state of the linux desktop when it's literally the worst thing you could do to your desktop

C is better than C++
But not for GUIs
Qt > GTK
Qt is also really well engineered compared to the clusterfuck that is GTK
Ideally a GC'd lang would be better for GUIs, but Apple betrayed open source when they closed off nextstep.

op is just another faggot who don't know base difference between c and c++

KDE > Gnome

Reminder that Gnome 3 is unfixable because the UI, mouse pointer etc. etc. all run in a single thread full of buggy, C/Javascript spaghetti code. It's literally here be dragons tier.

>GNOME
>elegantly
Your standards must be shit

I've never seen it worded so well. GNOME is utterly awful, and it's embarrassing that it's the GNU/Linux standard DE.

>tfw using mwm

Attached: 1489171259417.gif (335x500, 2.61M)

I am a gnome user, redpill me on kde except for "gnome sucks xD xD"
The last time I used kde it was quite irritating to use.

still shit, too many configs and none is the right one. I just need dynamic workplaces and simple tiling