So I recently switched ISPs, and these new guys force me to use their shitty router/modem device...

So I recently switched ISPs, and these new guys force me to use their shitty router/modem device. It has no true bridge mode, so even if I turn on DMZ, turn off DHCP and wireless, it will still be a managed device. I'm also like 99% sure it does some deep packet inspection.

So, fuck that noise. I pulled the SFP-GPON module out from it, plugged it straight into my router (a Ubiquiti Edge Router-X) through a media converter. Fiddled around a bit with VLANs and such. Lo and behold, I've got internet working now, with fibre going straight into my router. No bullshit, unaudited black box that runs software written by the lowest bidder.

Pic related, it's the monster of a modem they expect me to use.

Attached: IMG_1071.jpg (2048x1536, 549K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/TP-Link-MC220L-Converter-supporting-mountable/dp/B003CFATL0.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I pulled the SFP-GPON module out from it, plugged it straight into my router (a Ubiquiti Edge Router-X) through a media converter.
Ask me how I know you just learned those terms and are trying to show off your Dunning-Kruger

Oh, I am 100% a networking noob. I might work in devops, but I tend to stay away from the hardware side of things.

Still, I'm pretty proud of myself for getting this done in about 15 minutes.

nice but... what does it actually do that it didn't do before?

So you desoldered the GPON module (SFP in a consumer piece of trash? Sure thing, brah) from the router, connected it to a "media converter" (you don't know what that means), shoved the non-SFP module into the SFP connector of your EdgeRouter and it just worked.
I'm sure all you did (if you even did anything) was unplug the fiber from the shitty router, slap a GPON SFP transceiver in the EdgeRouter and connect the fiber to that.

It's a proper SFP-GPON module, friendo. And the "media converter," while cheap, is indeed what I'm saying it is: amazon.ca/TP-Link-MC220L-Converter-supporting-mountable/dp/B003CFATL0.

Fibre from the wall into the SFP, SFP into the media converter, media converter into router. Set VLAN to 35 on the interface, PPPoE setup on the VLAN.

I don't have some shady third party, closed source device acting as the modem for my network.

ok but why did you bother with all that? you dont have a vpn? i use protonvpn, works great

Post a pic of your setup.
I hardly believe GPON can be converted into ethernet with a media converter.

Enjoy the massive bill for the hardware repair on end of service unless you bought that shit outright.
Also mfw you didn't just use the advanced DMZ option to pass through a MAC and pull a second public IP

I'm pretty sure your ISP would call your's the shady 3rd party one.

No massive hardware bill. The modifications made are all 100% reversible.

Pic attached of the media converter doing its thing next to the router. I'm not about to unplug the SFP to show you it's a proper one, but this should be good enough if you know what you're looking at.

I wouldn't do this shit if they weren't trying to force me to use their weird hardware

Attached: IMG_1072.jpg (2048x1536, 641K)

Holy shit, color me surprised. You're one very smart user, I take all of my doubts about your intelligence back, and in fact I'll try a similar setup in the future
Hats off to you.

Attached: 1533420210349.jpg (736x723, 148K)

You should have stayed with your old ISP, forcing you to use their modem is always a bad idea. I used to work on a call center for a canadian ISP, and the jewish company sometimes sent customers shitty MODEMs and STBs, which most of the times they were defective. The customer would have to call, which most of the times there was a long waiting time, to replace the devices. Sometimes you were told to tell the customer to pay for the new device and the shipping, I always fucking hated that part, so I tried to talk to my supervisor which he waived most of the times the shipping and the device. Then, depending on which day of the week you called, the customer must wait around one week for his devices to get shipped. It was a terrible job, I would never work for that company again.

How did you manage to make the internet working with a different device? I know that if the MAC adress doesn't match on their system, then you won't have internet connection with that modem?

It doesn't look like they check the MAC address. Based off my research, this ISP won't work with any other SFP but the ones they provide in their modems, and even then it requires setting it to VLAN 35, which is higher than most consumer routers let you go. I guess they figure this is enough hoops to jump through.

>and these new guys force me to use their shitty router/modem device

>force
No they don't. As evidenced by your conversion.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone going up the chain of command trying to get a dumb modem, but no luck.

For anyone who isn't this committed, it's pretty much being forced to.

you realize they could easily be tapping it somewhere earlier along the line, right? they're providing the signal after all... just install a VPN on YOUR router and pipe ethernet from the modem into that... problem solved

Of course I run a VPN most of the time (when ping really matters though, I do have to turn it off).

Still, one less device on my network that does any sort of surveillance fuckery is a win in my book.

Kek

You probably could have just bought a ubiquiti EdgeRouter 6P, or similar SFP+ equipped ubiquiti router.

No real need to deal with all that silliness.

I bought this router before I switched ISPs. My old one wasn't FTTH, so it would have been frivolous to invest in one with an SFP port.

Well, depending on your WAN speeds, the edgerouter X isn't exactly a performance beast.

If you do a lot through a VPN especially the edge router X simply doesn't have enough CPU horsepower to push even the majority of a 1gbps WAN connection.

Assuming you aren't using a VPN though (or if you are using a VPN you don't need more than 300mbps) then it's probably fine.

But i replaced my edge router X a year ago when I upgraded to gigabit because it just wasn't giving me the performance I wanted.

Oh for sure, I agree with you completely. For the moment, though, I've gone from 120, to 220, to 300 mbps on this router, and it's still chugging along fine. When gigabit becomes affordable here, I'll see about getting something else. Maybe a USG to make management easier, since I have a unifi AP

>Maybe a USG
same hardware, i'd wait for an upgraded version if you wanted to do that.

The new Edge router 6P I suggested would likely be the best bet of the current crop. New quad core CPU, and 1GB of RAM.

Ah, damn. RIP my dreams of a totally unifi managed network.

That's a damn sweet looking router, though. Thanks a lot, will keep it in mind for whenever gigabit happens around here.