What are your thoughts on RISC systems, Jow Forums?

What are your thoughts on RISC systems, Jow Forums?

Do you think they could eventually replace bloated x86 and ARM processors?

Attached: hifiveunleashedangled-1_jpg_project-tile.jpg (749x421, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0801g/hko1477562192868.html
sifive.com/products/hifive-unleashed
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Pentkovski
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ARM....Bloated..... please leave.

ARM is a RISC architecture, retard

no u

the major problem is the hardware, if no one manufacturers it then no one can test it.
donating some ready2use boards to some geek that like to play with new/interesting shit (cnlohr comes to mind), run a giveaway on hackaday or pouet or something and ask them to try and explore the hardware power as much as possible. that might interest companies into "joining" the cause and help put it about the price of a raspi3+ and watch it go (i understand this requires some additional funding)

ARM is RISC and desu i wish it would take over so i can have low power usage laptops

The point of RISC is efficiency. Even if all computers swapped to RISC that would just let codemonkeys get even lazier and produce even worse code.

>I don't uderstand computer architectures

Did you know that the J in the ARM instruction "FJCVTZS" stands for Javascript? Yes, really.

infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0801g/hko1477562192868.html

Such RISC, much wow.

Wow, a totally normal instruction with rounding mode same as javascript's, so js engines don't have to emulate it with 10+ instructions.
What a blasphemy to RISC.

It actually is

Attached: freeeeetards.jpg (576x764, 87K)

Whaddaya want? It's reducing instructions innit?

The problem with ARM is licensing, which RISC-V completely alleviates by having no licensing fees

Do you not realize how high level the x86 ISA is?
Programmers have never been lazier, my dude

How so, RISC is just meant to have simple instructions, not less.
Now, rounding in different direction than the normal converting instruction is very not complex, while massively simplifies something (float -> int in javascript) that is a pretty common thing.

RISC processors have been around for a long time and they're everywhere. Pic related is my favorite RISC processor, more then 150 million were made.

Attached: Sony_EmotionEngine_CXD9615GB_top.jpg (660x660, 31K)

RISC-V is the ultimate in open source autism, though
It has no license

You can buy the first RISC-V development board from sifive
sifive.com/products/hifive-unleashed
There are a few more companies working on their own SoCs as well

>the major problem is the hardware, if no one manufacturers it then no one can test it.
What is problematic in downloading it as a bitstream to a FPGA?

>Using a cucked FPGA.
In the real world, we don't test our solutions.

Based

muh ARM

Don't teslas use ubuntu?

Risky concept.

Sup Tripcode

in the mid 90's the Uni i went to had a DEC Cluster in which one node ran on an Alpha.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha

Risc was the future... just wait until intel runs into thermal/speed problems and new Risc systems will take over....

well.. nobody expected that intel would be able to throw money at the problem at the rate they did and managed to out-pace any Risc design that came since.
partly because of this guy:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Pentkovski

Attached: DEC_Alpha_21-35023-13_J40793-28_top.jpg (930x930, 58K)

Reducing operations by increasing the total number of instructions.
x86: Billions of instructions, so that any conceivable operation is just a function
Arm: Thousands of instructions, so that some of the more commonly used strings of instructions are compressed down into just one instruction
RISC: As few fucking instructions as possible

>reduced instruction set means increase the number of instructions
?

Why are old CPU packages so autistic? Just put the fucking capacitors in the motherboard.

money sink for easily milked autists

He didn't even say that. reduced instruction sets means reduction in each individual instruction, not necessary reduction of total number of instructions.

Why would you lie about such things on the internet?

you know modern ones still do that, right?

>exposing components makes it autistic
really makes me think

RISC systems suck.

Once you've programmed in assembly using THE most complex of all Complex Instruction Set systems, VAX assembly, you will feel the same as me about RISC systems.

It has a license, it's just free for commercial development.

there is no such thing as a pure strict RISC in real life CPUs

If you're referring to RISC-V, it's already out-performing equivalent ARM systems in benchmarks. You'll actually find RISC-V has been adopted already be a few major companies, but that information is not publicly available because they're using them in a proprietary fashion.

I think you mean RISC 5 since ARM is RISC
But I am excited, I would love to see it succeed and want to build one... imagine a 100% free computer... delicious

I won't program for an obselete ISA, so please elaborate

ARM is a RISC

ie. RISC is a 'developers machine' like Arch is a developers distro.
It's not for normal users, since it will always be slower for any given task.