If I take an audio file and go:

If I take an audio file and go:

Lossless -> mp3 128kbps
or:
Lossless -> mp3 320kbps -> mp3 128kbps

Is the final result pretty much the same, or is the last option worse than the first?

Attached: crazy-bitch.jpg (466x700, 53K)

Would going to 256 (as a 2x multiple of 128) stead of 320 avoid any additional loss?

2 lossless conversions is worse than 1 I assume

i doubt since it is lossy that it matters if you use multiples of the bitrate

>not using opus

Attached: 1537809580758m~2.jpg (197x132, 8K)

quick rundown? obvious brainlet here

2 lossy conversions is worse than one lossy conversion.
>ALWAYS. NO REFUNDS.
However, PCM -> FLAC -> anything lossy is the same as PCM -> anything lossy (MP3, AAC, Opus, Vorbis, etc.)

technically worse but insignificant

the only way to get a significant difference is by encoding it at 320, 300, 280 .., 140kbps, so you have enough steps to drift away, because every step tries to be as close as possible to the previous one, not as close as possible to the original.

Got it, I'll remember that
What does PCM stand for though?
Oh, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks

the result isn't the same. the mp3 encoding process introduces all sorts of aliasing artifacts. if you encode to 320 first, you introduce artifacts there, and then a conversion to 128 afterwards would try and 'preserve' the artifacts from the 320 conversion.

pulse code modulation

How do I get a gf like this?

by huffing paint fumes

I wish I knew. I'm married though

who is this semen demon?

>always resample to 48khz
no thanks hun

Makes basically no difference

FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

Attached: 1530468138828.jpg (836x837, 85K)

Different lossy codecs provide different levels of quality while using the same bitrate.
Opus > AAC > Vorbis > MP3
The only reason to use MP3 is for legacy reasons. Old devices might not support any of the newer codecs.

If resampling already degrades the quality too much for you, you shouldn't go with a lossy codec to begin with.

I really hate this meme. My CDs from 1998 sound the same they did the time I bought them.
I do not hear the difference at all because I am an idiot or something. Some of my mp3 are from 2006 and still sound the same to me.
I'll give you that, that FLAC is the better fileformat anyway but I just don't hear the difference. I am sorry but I download my music from youtube, guess this says all.

MP3 320kbps is lossy tho

what's the Jow Forums approved way to make mp3s with ffmpeg?

PCM = CD-Audio, WAV, AIFF, BWF

Smaller size, better quality, not as widespread as mp3 at this point in time.

holy fuck sorry I meant lossy not lossless.

I think first method is better, because the second one simply the file being processed twice, and second process being made on already mp3.

Is that a rubber duck gag? Hnnnnnnnnnng

This. If anything, they sound better as I have better audio equipment now than I did then.

Why not keep the 320?
128 is really going to sound like shit.

Your shit is weak

CD -> mp3 128 -> attach to video in windows movie maker -> upload to youtube -> record my screen and audio with a flip-phone from 2007 -> transfer the video to my computer -> watch it with realplayer first to check it works -> create dvd image out of video and burn it -> record/transfer that to a VHS tape -> rewind that fucker -> hit play -> enjoy

No, this is Patrick.

This

You're doubling the amount of errors going from Lossless -> Mp3 -> Mp3

Lossy to lossy is a no-no

It's silicon, dude.