Is there any downside for leasing a phone anymore?

Is there any downside for leasing a phone anymore?

I've got a note9 for $20 a month and I can upgrade in a year.

I feel like the depreciation of a $1000 phone is more than $240 a year so there is no point in buying anymore.

Attached: 1516608019894.jpg (1000x750, 221K)

Only you know the truth of that.

Is it actually $20 a month or is it merely your "device repayments" are $20. Meanwhile you're on a $90/month plan. $70 being a totally fair price for 7GB of data or whatever.

Shuffling around the numbers to make it look good is a common game to trick stupid people.

But hey, if you're really playing only $20 a month then that's great. Depends on the country how reasonable this shit is.

Well my GF and I had TMobile which was $120 a month for us for unlimited. We both used our own unlocked phones.

We signed the lease with spring and for $220 a month we got the following:
Unlimited data 2 lines
2 Note 9s (plus the pre-order headphones for both)
Ipad 6th gen with 10GB hotspot and unlimited data (24 payments and we own it outright)
Insurance on both notes

We also didn't pay any down. And now Im just thinking when the note 10 comes out if even $40 a month to keep the latest phone is a bad deal.

i tried to buy my pixel 2 up front from google to use with a sim only deal from BT mobile. placed an order for £600. received my phone 2 days later then got an email saying my order was canceled and that i wont be charged. they never chased me up on it so i got a free phone.

so no. if you are as lucky as i was it probably is not worth buying anymore.

White and based

Jesus christ the debt economy has ruined people with no financial self-control.

>Is there any downside for leasing a phone anymore?
It's not that the majority of people would have any other way of buying the ever so overpriced flagships.
>and I can upgrade in a year.
For what possible purpose? Also:

Not sure what shithole you live in, but in bongville, I only have to pay £16 a month for 20GB of data and unlimited calls and texts.

>Insurance
y?
>Unlimited data
Nice meme.
>$110 a month per person
You're fucking stupid.

Survival of the fittest, baby.

Attached: 1530671280643214968252.png (949x895, 515K)

I pay $40/mo for my data plan byop

Canada

I rather my device be my device. I bought a oneplus one 2 years ago and it does a good job.

>renting appliances
Lol negro.

what the fuck is going on in that picture?

Attached: 1511598480969.png (603x477, 264K)

Getting scammed brainlet

Explain why

I have used up to 36GB per month. I've tried using Project Fi without unlimited and it just made me super annoyed.

The insurance is cause they are leased phones and I don't want to be paying for a phone that I don't have if I break it or it gets stolen.

And the plans were ~$70 a person which is close to what I had with TMobile with my own device. The breakdown is like this:

$140 for the plans
$43 for 2 Note9s
$35 for insurance on both of those
$10 for the iPad 6 with unlimited data and 10GB of a hotspot

I used to be that way, but I have a drawer full of phones that aren't worth shit anymore. It's not worth owning something that depreciates so fast.

Cause if I upgrade every year I only end up making 12 $20 payments on the phone which is $240, which comes out to $580 for two years which is cheaper than buying the phones out right and I get the latest phone each year.

Meant to say $480 not $580.

>spending more than $200 on a phone
convince yourself all you want about leasing being "literally free" and you "outsmarting the system" but spending that on an IM device is fucking stupid and you might as well buy a $500 dildo

If you don't own your phone, you don't own anything you make or do with it either.
It can be legally seized at any time and all your photos are the property of whoever is leasing it to you.
While this isn't a big problem for most people, it's still something to be kept in mind.

>$220 a month

Attached: 1537597123210.png (501x445, 192K)

Bought a Nexus 5X it bootlooped in a year and I was out $250

Bought an LG V20 and it died in months and I was out $175

Bought a Robin for $90 and it's been fairly solid, but doesn't have the features I want.

Got an HTC One M9 on release on a really cheap deal and it overheated so bad it burnt my hand.

I use my phone everyday and I am not gonna cheap out on garbage anymore. I'm paying virtually the same price and I am getting a significantly better phone now.

It's not a lease though. it's a purchase with installments.

Sprint doesn't care about my dick pics.

OP asked about leasing
like I said, it's not a problem for most people, but also shouldn't be forgotten

Unlimited 4G shouldn't cost more than $40/month.

There is no point in spending over ~200$ for a new phone nowadays.

>Cause if I upgrade every year I only end up making 12 $20 payments on the phone which is $240, which comes out to $580 for two years which is cheaper than buying the phones out right and I get the latest phone each year.
This is a start. You're already $425 in a halt. So much for outsmarting the system. Also, I highly doubt those monthly payments amount to just $580.

buy a fucking motorola and stop fucking around with muh touchscreen goytoys

>spending $240 per year on phones
I buy a phone for $240 and it lasts me 4 years.

>unlimited
Why the fuck would a functioning adult need unlimited data?

>Is there any downside for leasing a phone anymore?
>$220 a month

Also, aren't US variants of some phones permanently bootloader locked as well?

It depends entirely on how often you replace your phone. If you get a new one every year you're probably not losing much by getting a 2 year contract, buying out the contract and then selling it/getting a new phone. At least no more than you would buying it outright and then selling it. If you plan to have the same phone for 5 years then it probably makes sense to just buy it outright.

Can't get unthrottled 4g data that cheap. Sprint is slow, but it isn't 3g speeds.

Idk, this note is pretty nice.

It's $480 note $580, and when I swap the phone I already have a new one to use for a year.

Why would I want to pay the other $520 for the rest of this Note9 when the Note10 is out?

Which phone lasted 4 years?

For 2 phones an iPad and 3 lines of unlimited data, stop manipulating the facts

Samsungs are bitches to root anyways

This isn't a plan contract, it's a contract for the lease. (the phone is still locked though)

What a fucking nightmare. I'm paying $42/mo for 6gb and I feel like I'm getting fucking ripped off.

Obviously you're just looking for justification for your bad financial decisions
Please go on
>>/reddit/>>
Where people will cheer you on and tell you how your "fooling" the system!

I'm not looking for justification. I'm looking for a discussion.

All I've heard is
>Buy a cheap garbage phone instead
>You don't need unlimited data, data caps are better
>You can get that cheaper (without explaining how)

Aside from the guy talking about the privacy issue if they take the phone back, I haven't seen a single valid argument for a use case like mine.

>normalfags

LCD vs AMOLED.

>I haven't seen a single valid argument for a use case like mine.
wasting money isn't a good use case, even if you can afford it

>I needed a new phone
>GF needed a new phone
>Already was paying $120 which is the cheapest I can get decent unlimited service for
>Didn't want a phone that would shit out on me in a month

I do not see how paying the money is wasted at all. The phone would be worth less than $760 in a year ($1000-$240) when I upgrade after depreciation. Paying $240 a year for the latest phone with warranty is obviously a better option than owning it.

Show me the math on how this money is wasted. You waste more money owning the phone and selling it in a year. The only time leasing doesn't work is if you keep the phone the full 18 months and pay off the rest of the debt to keep it or you give the phone back.

It's mostly just cocaine that's ruined my finances

>wants a new phone every year
this is consumerism. you don’t need it, and your current phone will do the job just as well.
you probably don’t need unlimited because you probably don’t use enough to warrant it. i have a cap, saves me money and i know what i use in a month, so i don’t worry about overages

it’s your money, as long as your aren’t going into debt then spend it as you please, but it’s recommended to make sure to save money for more important things, like if you lose your job or get in an accident or have a breakdown

>this is consumerism. you don’t need it,
You don't really need a phone, either.
How often you replace your phone is nobody's business but yours. It's nothing to do with you if I want a new phone daily.
Putting yourself as the Approver of how other people live their lives and spend their money tells me that your own life is probably out of control.

Ive been thinking your way about cars. Why buy something off warranty to maintain when I can pay 20% the market value of a 40k car over the course of two years and never deal with it when its depreciated and always failing.

Being on that phone all the time has fried your brain bud. You're just trying to assure yourself that you're not a total asshat. And you are. I spend money on titties and alcohol. But my bill is 20 a month with a Moto Z Force. You could afford titties and alcohol too user if you put your phone down. And no your gf's floppy milk tits don't count.

>24 payments
so 4400 dollars of payments and you own a 400 dollar tablet?
Epic!

apple phone on left
samsung on right
and a shill quote on top
the rest you can figure out

The tablet is $10 a month.

It equals out to $240.

Can you math?

The Z force is over $600. I am paying less for a note 9.

steal someone's phone then get a cheap plan with barely any data and use wifi
if you don't do this youre a sucker

I swear to god I have 1 gb and I NEVER run out of data, my wifi at home, college wifi in class, I dont know if people go to a pub and proceed to watch a movie in their phone or go for a drink with friends and browse social media for 2 hours, what I know is that I pay 7 eurobucks a month.

Well I have a 1TB cap on my home network and I get close to hitting that, so I leave my phone on LTE most of the time.

I got it 150 used lol. You're just a spread out thin kind of cuck. What other behavior do you excuse?

Well that is a good deal. But I also thought I had a good deal on my V20 for $120 until it died.

A lot of you are linking the data plan to the lease which is not the case. I can drop down to a 1GB plan if I want. The price of my Note9 is $23 a month which is around $260ish dollars. That's not much more than you are paying.

Hell if I wanted to I can cancel the plan and keep the lease and move my note to Freedom pop (another Sprint network) which is prepaid. I have no contract on the data plan.

I have a note 3, and until now I didn't know that for black colors, the pixels turn off. I thought it was like your laptop that has the backlight when displaying a black screen, so I was confused thinking my phone had turned off.

the downside is that you never truly own your device, so things like taking it off network can't be done unless you pay the cost of the phone in full (plus interest), and rooting/flashing allows for networks to void any warranty and insurance claims at their own volition.

if you don't care about any of that then there's no real downside i guess.

I've got unlimited unthrottled 4G LTE with Metro for $40 a month. You're retarded, OP.

What a fag