/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 2f8ebc45400283.582f27c13e587.jpg (600x680, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer-broke-the-internet-by-deleting-a-tiny-piece-of-code/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Kernel
ftp.debian.org/debian
nongnu.org/autocutsel/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what are some good sharex type apps for linux, mainly need to capture an area with cursor using a keybind, then take the pic without having to press enter, followed by saving it in clipboard and storage

qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer-broke-the-internet-by-deleting-a-tiny-piece-of-code/

Programmers have a right to revoke. Deal with it.

Should Linux implode because CoC, what are y'all gonna use next?

imlib2 and ffmpeg

I finally added a third monitor to this kubuntu 16 machine. Unfortunately, there was only a single DP port available and the monitor only has VGA and DVI inputs, so I had to find a DVI-DP adapter and use that. Problem is that now I can't go over 1024*768 on said monitor, why is this?

what's xrandr saying ?

Does Chromium has seriously privacy problems? Not having HW Acceleration in Firefox spikes my CPU usage hence my battery lasts nothing?

live in third world

I'm 100% small-brained, pls patiently tell me if there's a way to upgrade a program in Debian stable. I need to get Inkscape 0.92.3, but in Debian there's only Inkscape 0.92.1 available. Are there some rules in the system that prohibit installing newer versions? I have no idea. How do I proceed?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_project

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Kernel

Let's go full weeb.

DisplayPort-0 connected 1024x768+0+432 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 60.00*
800x600 60.32 56.25
848x480 60.00
640x480 59.94
HDMI-A-0 connected primary 1920x1200+1024+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 519mm x 324mm
1920x1200 59.95*+
1920x1080 60.00 59.94
1600x1200 60.00
1680x1050 59.95
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1440x900 59.95
1280x800 59.95
1152x864 75.00
1280x720 60.00 59.94
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
720x480 60.00 59.94
640x480 75.00 60.00 59.94
720x400 70.08
DVI-D-0 connected 1600x1200+2944+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 367mm x 275mm
1600x1200 60.00*+
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1440x900 60.00
1280x800 60.00
1152x864 75.00
1280x720 60.00
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
640x480 75.00 59.94
720x400 70.08
DP-1-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

get a better brain

install from backports

>Get binaries
>Put in /opt/Inkscape
>Create .desktop file
>fill it with relevant info
>Make link to the executable
and should be about it

Using CPU for video decoding is stupid even in the first world brainlet.

just copy the current .desktop and change the executable location if you're gonna do it like that

I want you to live in third world to escape the botnet, brainlet

FreeBSD I guess? I'd be more likely to find badgers dancing outside my door, though.

>FreeBSD I guess?
It got COC'd before GNUL.
OpenBSD or Dragonfly BSD are the only real alternatives.

Thinking of getting Linux installed on my Macbook Pro (Mid 2012).

What should I go with? I had gentoo and openSUSE recommended for me already. I like clean installs, but I'm also not picky about package managers and don't want to have a hard time installing drivers.

I'm thinking of going with Manjaro or just plain Arch.

Also, how easy is it to switch between desktop environments once a distro is installed?

Well, I haven't heard of it imploding. Which doesn't surprise me, given the lack of badgers on my doorstep.

>macbook
stopped reading right there

people on the web say I can just get the version from Testing
is it ok to mix stable and testing, if I only do moderate upgrades

To filter the Jow Forums brigade and keep the thread friendly, add the following line to your comment filter.
/coc/i

install OpenBSD.

I did some iOS dev, and hackintosh is a pain in the ass to maintain

>Well, I haven't heard of it imploding.
it lost a few share of developers who relinquished their repos.

fair*

That sounds unfortunate. I'm not able to find anything suggesting the scope of it is actually significant for the project, however.

When you release something under the GPLv2, for example Code for Linux, you set it free forever. You have copyright for this code, but you can not "revoke" the license fir the stuff you already have released. What you can do is: make your next versions proprietary or stop contributing to Linux. What you can't: revoke the license, remove your code, pull a meme "kill switch". Deal with it.

Can someone redpill me on i3wm?

Anyone?

Anyone tried this? -
>install a single package from Debian testing or unstable on stable
>There's actually a way to do it without using pinning / priorities at all. Instead, you can specify what's the default release you'll install packages from, which will then be used unless otherwise specified by using the target release parameter. This works the same way if you only want to install selected packages from e.g. backports.
>I'll show this for installing packages from Stretch into Jessie, as those are the current stable / testing, but it works the same way for installing Jessie packages in Wheezy like it was originally asked.
>First, add stretch as repository, e.g. in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch.list:
>deb ftp.debian.org/debian stretch main
>Then, to set the default release, create a file like /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release containing:
>APT::Default-Release "jessie";
>(In Wheezy, I think apt.conf.d didn't exist and you'd need to put that snippet in /etc/apt/apt.conf).
>Then, installing a package from testing is as simple as aptitude -t stretch install kpcli without you >needing to worry about pinning priorities.

fucking disgusting thread this is the patriarchy doing his work! We need to implement a CoC or i will promote GNU/WIndows in this thread

stallman himself said you can revoke your code from a GPLv2 licensed project, but not from a GPLv3 licensed one

why isn't there a GNU/reactOS yet

Looking for a distro that is systemd free and not source based (as I am installing it on a laptop) I have been using OpenBSD on it for a few years but recently I find myself needing a few pieces of software that don't have the ability to run. I was looking at Artix, but don't know if it is shit or not. Recommendations?

>apparently such an advanced power user who needs something without systemd and with a specific package release policy
>doesn't know how to look up the handful of worthwhile distributions and find the answer himself
>considers some shitty downstream distribution
>phrases it like a fucking retard
What a fucking poser. Whom do you expect to impress? Do you feel cool when you ask your retarded questions? Questions that you only ask to feel smug and smart about "discussing" such a "complicated technological" topic.

No, I was just wondering if anyone uses one that doesn't suck.

You shouldn't be using your internet browser to view videos. That's what a video player is for.

sure
dependencies will be your biggest problem
just upgrade to buster now

yes do this instead

ubuntu without systemd

Better regex
/\Wcoc\W/i

Anyone got the animu girl version of this? Need a bootsplash.

Attached: file.png (1200x1043, 637K)

>you can revoke your code from a GPLv2
I kinda wish this was true, and that somehow a bunch of screeching Jow Forums autists ended up breaking Linux.
I'm still salty about Linus just flat-out refusing to license Linux with the much better GPLv3. I hope after his soul-searching sabbatical he will finally see the light and do it.

what gnu+linux distribution does linus torvalds's daughter use?

Although I agree with your assessment, this is a friendly thread.

Probably OSX

>linus
>soul
>ethics

what are you talking about my man, he literally defended tivo when stallman tried to get them to comply with the GPL which caused the creation of the GPLv3. then he had the nerve to criticize GPLv3 for trying to protect the users freedom

linus is a sellout, the kikes funding him just decided they don't need to deal with his shitty asshole godcomplex attitude anymore so they made up this fake feefee bullshit to get him kicked. I can't say I feel bad for him, he had it coming. after he comes back he either learns to respect his corporate gods or just quits development and does some backroom "job" while licensing his copyright grant to the (((foundation)))

i doubt Linus would allow that.

Attached: 1534690361201.jpg (695x697, 471K)

he uses OS X and windows himself, like I said, he has no soul

thanks user!

Leenus uses a macbook air, and he only states theres no Windows computers in his house. Also i doubt he has any control over his daughter anyway.

I installed Ubuntu on an old C2D machine and it seems like I already fucked up.
Scrolling seems laggy/stuttery and certain websites don't work properly, like YouTube comments won't load and I can't post on 4chins (phoneposting right now).
I choose the minimal installation with no proprietary drivers.

Attached: download_20180822_000623.jpg (1536x2048, 303K)

kek

install Lubuntu (ubuntu lxde version) it runs fast on toasters

how could you say dat when he dedicated his whole life to the development of linux, a software that he gave to everyone for free.

how do I resolve them?

neofetch is giving me "bash: /usr/bin/neofetch: /usr/bin/env: bad interpreter: No such file or directory"

I've tried reinstalling it but that didn't work. Running ubuntu.

>Does Chromium has seriously privacy problems
Yes. It's not completely de-googled,

When ever i try to compile code these spam the message log. What causes this and how do i fix it?

Attached: output.png (681x206, 33K)

he only saw the commercial potential of free software, he got tons of money power and influence in return, he didn't do it >for free

Install NixOs

you are wrong, he was just a kid who published his own toy kernel on usenet. that's how he started.

people change

I probably will, not enjoying gnome much anyway.
Is the website issue JavaScript related ? I'm a total brainlet.

Attached: _20180822_010108.jpg (708x824, 115K)

stop being ungrateful, Linus deserves respect.

I don't respect any sellout puppets, much less someone who can't even stand up for himself in his own backyard

OpenSUSE if memory serves. That's from years back, though, so even if my mind isn't playing tricks on me, it might not be true anymore.

if you're on a C2D then yeah, I can see it being a processing power issue as modern firefox and GNOME hog a LOT of it by older standards

LXDE and a lightweight browser like midori should work fine. If not try puppy linux, it is even lighter

reading this really saddened me.

Hi
using the Wayland displayserver seems to be the only way to make my screen tearing go away, so I am now using Fedora Gnome as it comes with Wayland by default.
Gnome takes up more resources than I'd prefer so I was wondering how I could switch to Wayland on a more lightweight distro

He'll be back.

Yeah, that's true. MPV has good support handling urls, but dunno, I'm not a fan of that workflow. I guess I've no option.

I'm not sure if the lxqt spin of fedora comes with wayland, but ldqt is using KWin and that supports wayland as far as I know. So you maybe able to use wayland even if it's not the default out of the box.

world needs a war so fucking bad

kill yourself for a good start

install sway

Don't know if this should go in /sqt/ but whatever.

Firstly, what do I use to check HDD temperature sensors? On debian with no graphical environment.
Secondly, what's a good temperature for an HDD, and what's the point where I should start being worried?

>inb4 hdd temps are a meme
I have a seedbox and the HDD is basically spun up 24/7. It's a ghetto build and the enclosure is such that I can either close it or open it for better cooling. I wanna check whether I can just keep it closed.

add "-X wayland" to your USE in portage/make.conf

>If you focus your mind on the freedom and community that you can build by staying firm, you will find the strength to do it. "Stand for something, or you will fall for nothing."
>And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if "hard nosed realists" say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use copyleft all the same.

- ???

Attached: download.jpg (275x184, 2K)

>Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. "Don't bother us with politics," respond those who don't want to learn.

>Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.

hddtemp or smartmontools I guess
never used them myself though.

???

Trying to setup firejail. Have it installed and have symlinked everything but whenever i use chromium or firefox, about half of my extensions are loaded. Checking the addon and extensions pages they arent even there and greyed out but completely missing from the brower. What could cause this?

My backspace key now sends keycode 160 instead of 22. I've not sure what what I've did to cause this. Any idea? I'm on a x200.

Attached: 16c.jpg (616x616, 51K)

A wild GNU appeared! What would you like to do?

>Use free software that respects your freedom to run, study, share, contribute and modify the software as you wish
>Run away and use some non-free proprietary bullshit

Does it do that too outside of xorg/Wayland? You could just remap it.

Install Devuan. Avoid Gentoo and Arch unless you are an advanced user.

Only for desktop threads and that is i3-gaps, better use Ratpoison if you want a tiling wm.

Can qutebrowser mimic this settings?

Attached: 2018-09-25-20:12:39.png (459x126, 11K)

Devuan works flawlessly, can guarantee you that.

how are autostart entries handled in Xfce? i have added my program to the autostart menu and it starts correctly but there is no .desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart as it theoretically should

Is there any good way to sync the two (ctrl+v and middlemouse) clipboards in Linux? I'm using xfce.

If it can't you could modify your qutebrowser launcher to do rm -rf ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/webengine before starting the browser. That could fuck you if you use multiple sessions at once though.

nongnu.org/autocutsel/