MiniDisc

With future technology can Sony bring back the MiniDisc with more storage capacity and replace Blu-ray for the Playstation 5?
Seems like they could have more layers with more density on the disc on the front and back and there is a lot of wasted space in the center of the MiniDisc.
Back then they where capable of putting 1 GB on a MiniDisc and 1.8 GB on a UMD and now a Mini Blu-ray Disc holds 16 GB.

MiniDisc is better because it actually protects the disc, i've came across a lot of PS4 an Xbox One games that are completely scratched they could even just put the normal Blu-ray Disc in a case and i'd be happy.

Attached: minidisc.jpg (1024x1024, 147K)

Attached: minidisc himd 1gb.jpg (1024x681, 190K)

the cases that older media was stored in worked better for preserving them from surface damage. it was never a bad idea or design really, just not enough storage

Big game boxes take more shelf space which is a good thing

1) Sony already said no PS5, only incremental upgrades to the PS4 indefinitely
2) We're already at the point where a new console wouldn't even have physical media, just a Steam style digital shop built into the console

I don’t really think that matters because Switch games are very small.

Attached: switch game.jpg (968x681, 33K)

It’s a handheld device where it matters how big the cartrdige is

>a new console wouldn't even have physical media

Not everyone has fast internet and there are some people that still have monthly data caps.

The discs are pretty useless now, after installing it you have to wait to download and install the updates anyway.

The boxes are still big.

Attached: switch box.jpg (625x430, 113K)

>1) Sony already said no PS5, only incremental upgrades to the PS4 indefinitely
There will be a ps5, you can bet on that.
>2) We're already at the point where a new console wouldn't even have physical media, just a Steam style digital shop built into the console
Only a 5% of the world has the internet to back a online console&game streaming.
There are a lot of people in the world who still have monthly data limits, and downloading two console games would fill that up fast.

remember when you there was a patch every other year or so?
now it's like every time you turn on your console / start steam

Blu-ray in a cartridge did exist, was abandoned when they developed a better hard coating

Attached: sony-panasonic-optical-discs[1].jpg (530x297, 22K)

(You)

This is what Blu-Ray should have been, there are a lot of games and movies from second hand stores that are completely scratched.
Maybe they can do it for the PS5, ideally a bit smaller.

Some early cdrom drives had you use caddies. Maybe we should just go back to this? Advantage being any existing disc could work instead of having to create a whole new format.

The 80s wantsyou back.
The rest of us don't want physical at all, not bulky expensive disk caddies driving up the cost of all games.

Forgot picture of an example of one (yeah it's an apple but there were non apple ones too)

Attached: Apple-CDdrive-300.jpg (482x519, 90K)

But it’s unavoidable because the internet still isn’t good in every country, might as well get something better than the current tech.

It's not better though.
It's just more expensive, stop being a child and learn to put your discs away.

The stuff I’m talking about is second hand and not my fault, now with the Xbox One being backwards compatible I’ve seen a lot of Xbox 360 DVDs that are completely trashed and a case could have saved them.

I had a 486 with this style CD-ROM. I think we got it in 1995?

Yeah I never personally remember ever dealing with this style, only the usual tray ones. I did get my first dvdrom later in like early 00s when I was first getting into DVD and it was a slot feed instead of a tray which was cool, but that was the only time I ever didn't have a tray. My DVD burner now is slot loading. I've never adopted bluray.

>blah blah blah tech stuff blah blah blah
No point trying to justify your point of view. You like minidiscs because it's a comfy jp 80s tech.

its called a thin 2.5inch HDD.

you can get ones larger and cheaper than any media they are the future of media just buy a nice trayless bay for them this one has doors but im looking for one without doors and just works like SDcard slot or has eject button.

Attached: StarTech 2 drive trayless hot swap 2.5 inch SATA.jpg (500x500, 43K)

Disc cassettes were rendered obsolete once Sony was able to add a resilient coating to their Blu-Ray spec.

It takes a special kind of troglodyte to even achieve that.

The regular scratch-resistant polymer on BluRay discs can stand even light scrubbing with a steel sponge.

Attached: Yeezus.png (300x263, 167K)

Fuck off shill

I think you have too high of expectations from the kind of autists and junkies that hang out at second-hand movie/game stores.

Holy mother of god, a NOC-list. Haven't seen those in a while.

>physical media will never be this comfy again

Attached: 88598.jpg (1294x1028, 158K)

This is the most obvious NPC post I've ever seen.

cool idea friend

>Tfw no msata based Vidya with 64-512gb and 500+ mbs access speed

Cute

>paying 50-70 dollars for game that can fit on a shitty SD card

bruh

Those of simple mind, Behold!
The DVD-RAM Cartridge

Attached: dvd_ram_5.jpg (1200x899, 80K)

Attached: dvd_ram_3.jpg (640x480, 94K)

Attached: dvd_ram_4.jpg (640x343, 62K)

Both sides of the disk can be utilized. A max total of 9.4 GB of storage can be achieved.

Attached: dvd_ram_2.jpg (300x300, 10K)

The disk inside the cartridge can be removed for use inside a traditional DVD-RAM drive.

Attached: dvd_ram_1(removable_disk).jpg (2085x2313, 302K)

Attached: dvd_ram_6(disk_bay).jpg (500x383, 74K)

My family moved to Japan when I was a kid and minidisc was so much more popular there than they ever were here in the states. The format was comfy as fuck and it could have been a great replacement if it just wasn't so expensive over here. It was all over when CD burners and media came down in price.

They also come in smaller sizes (albeit less data capacity) for use in camcorders and easier insertion.
>

Attached: dvd_ram_7(mini).jpg (2016x1512, 550K)

trash

>mfw when DVD-ram never took off
>mfw when never heving the pleasure to experience DVD-ram
>Only shitty DVD+-RW which were basically alzheimers discs

Attached: 1528221129976.jpg (500x500, 111K)

MINIDISCKS DO SUCKING COMFY AAARHHHH

FUCK HDD's AND FLASH MEMORY

Attached: Spectrum.jpg (3872x2592, 2.48M)

>tfw no holographic discs which were almost ready
>now stuck in the normalfag streaming timeline
>all optical media looked down on, even bluray
We were so close. Now we must accept lossy quality, low bitrates and not owning our data.

Attached: 1526684561683.gif (200x200, 2.9M)

Btw these are an option.

Attached: udo+plasmon.png (369x482, 169K)

What sets aside DVD-RAM from other worm drives and even rewritable is that the disk has sectors that are "hard coded". What that means is that individual parts of the disk are rewritten when they need to be instead of a complete disk wipe. These can be used similarly to a hard drive in that sense.
There are also some versions that don't include a caddy for backwards compatibility.

Attached: dvd_ram_9(up_close_view).jpg (1920x939, 87K)

Whats the transfer speed on these guys?

I think the fastest are about 12x in terms of dvd speeds. Most are around 3x-5x

A e s t h e t i c s is enough of a reason to bring the format back.

Attached: [Kagura] NOIR - NCED [BDRip 1920x1080 x264 Hi10P FLAC].mkv_snapshot_00.01_[2018.09.26_03.40.41].jpg (1920x1080, 136K)

>There will be a ps5, you can bet on that.

I'm sure you know more than Sony about their own business plan, kid. Their ideology going forward is to treat consoles like PCs, a new hardware upgrade every couple years while still maintaining compatibility with the entire game library. Microsoft has also publicly agreed with that strategy. Nintendo seems to be the only company that possibly still plans on doing iterative consoles, mainly because their consoles for the past few generations have relied on gimmicks.

Is it weird that I don't trust sd cards because they don't have moving parts

They aren't very reliable even despite that.

You can fit basically any PS4 game on a SD card, try harder.

xfer rates aren't even bad on these. Impossible to find a drive tho and the disks are pricey.

Attached: 5ff68fbbly1fbx702ylr1g20rs0oy7wh.gif (1000x898, 1.19M)

What're some formats that will always be superior to their successors?

Attached: 61F4gZn0x+L._SY400_.jpg (400x400, 21K)

i think Kanye will bring the format back

Attached: Capture.png (906x621, 561K)

minidisc was so aesthetic christ

>1) Sony already said no PS5, only incremental upgrades to the PS4 indefinitely
False.
>2) We're already at the point where a new console wouldn't even have physical media, just a Steam style digital shop built into the console
No way that is going to work unless they create some kind of proprietary "expansion memory" to install games, normies aren't replacing internal SSDs/HDDs.

Nice headcannon user. They just did something that Nintendo was doing for years with their portables, and this is not stopping them from releasing next gen consoles.

tfw the N64DD didn't catch on

Attached: 64dd.jpg (400x355, 12K)

That shit was dumb as fuck, they should have just went with CDs.

Don't really understand how it never caught on, it should have at least replaced music CDs.
Maybe it's because they thought people would want a DVD drive that was also compatible with CDs and with the mp3 player coming up there was no need for the disc to be smaller because no one was using a portable disc player anymore.

Attached: minidisc albums.jpg (1000x750, 120K)

Minidisc was complex and so they required bigger decks. It's only okay as a portable media; however, they make up for that by having small cartridges.
At the same time Sony has to fuck up everything cool they do by making it both proprietary and shit.
aka ATRAC

>tfw no loveless minidisc

Attached: 6777384908_9e84717d2b_b.jpg (1024x768, 400K)

Attached: matrix minidisc.jpg (607x548, 173K)

Minidisc players were also fragile because of the sliding mechanism.

>hurr durr

they even hacked the 360 for it and they had it on the PS3 you fucking retard. The PS3 had the easiest to remove HDD.

Blegs are the only non-Jews allowed to influence tech culture at this point. I fucking hate it.

bump