Why do all smart phones look the same? How would you improve their designs?

Why do all smart phones look the same? How would you improve their designs?

Attached: phones.jpg (680x453, 47K)

Make them triangular

>How would you improve their designs?
You don't need to.

That herring bone pattern is cool. It would be cool to do a table surface like that and set them in epoxy resin or somesuch.

Put a custom skin on your phone

There's a reason most commercial jets, cars, guns, tanks, and even trees look alike. Once a good general design has been adopted the only thing you can really do is to adapt it for certain conditions/use cases or increase its efficiency.

The only way a large change will occur is if there's a brand new groundbreaking technology that literally changes the rules.

Yep, wanting the phones to look different for uniqueness sake isn't solving a problem.
Now I expect that foldable phone to appear sooner or later because it'll offer useful utility but it's ridiculous amount of technical problems to solve a minor issues.

what would being able to fold your phone even help

It'd fit in a smaller container and you'd be able to put a display larger than your pants on it.

Attached: samsung galaxy s12.png (812x375, 15K)

>Why do all smart phones look the same?
because all the cases come from the same molds in a Chinese factory someplace
because they're cheaper that way

It already bends in your pocket. Might as well design it that way.

this is the most beautiful

Attached: .jpg (660x591, 57K)

There's no need to change the shape at all, but having more unique back cover designs would be fun.

Attached: P20-Pro-twilight-back.jpg (1000x1000, 73K)

looks gay

Thats like saying the 80's looks gay.

but that's 100% correct

UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE PYRAMID

exactly

a suggestion

Attached: leaked.png (483x371, 219K)

suggestion #2

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 15K)

the absolute madman

80s didn't actually look like that, zoomie

Attached: timzaccheo.jpg (250x280, 9K)

Offer models without the front-facing camera again. None of this moving-parts "we've got to give them something" bullshit.

Because it works you hipster faggot

The design has been refined and people are happy with the cameras/responsiveness.

Now it's time to start porting re-skinned full desktop OS's to them. I'm fairly sure this is why Windows keeps taking up less space on each major release. Desktops are not starved for HD space anywhere in the world.

It doesn't help anything. It's just another gimmick.

Bring back flip phones and make it so a screen can pop out like this, but on both sides.

Attached: 1528434469596.jpg (1500x1262, 247K)

Phone with no screen, you navigate by inputting commands via morse-code through a single button.

Bezelless phone with a square screen.

Phone with carbon fibre backing. I mean c'mon, glass? Plastic?

Phone with 6.3mm headphone jack.

Completely transparent phone.

Phone with two RJ45 sockets.

Biological phone, technically a giant bacterium. Charges on agar plate. Is waterproof for 10 minutes, at which point it suffocates to death. Multiplies through budding. Will release enzymes when hungry, which may eat through your pockets. Vulnerable to bacteriophage viruses. Smells like seaweed. Edible, tastes best when fried with onions sauce and ginger.

Phone with a single analog audio socket; all updates have to be done by modulating their data as audio.

Maybe add a flash on the top/bottom purely for the flashlight function.

Some cheap af Nokia basicphone had this

Keyboards.

Attached: IMG_20180925_161602.jpg (2592x1944, 2.7M)

No it wouldn't.

>modulating their data as audio
Wait 'till you get to Digital Signal Processing 101 user desu

Stop copying ads

Because nobody buys Blackberries and Nokia Lumias.

I still have this in a drawer. Arrow keys were a mistake. The D-pad was way better.

>herring bone pattern is cool
herring bone patterns are always cool user.

Attached: hb.jpg (800x800, 154K)

I want a phone with this general size and design, and the ability to pay $10 for engraving the metal back with custom designs or sayings.

Attached: Wl7FMiO.jpg (1277x927, 369K)

You look gay

They used to be different. Some of them, especially HTC phones, had some interesting designs. But as you know HTC failed miserably. Everyone just wants a hunk of metal even though it's as boring as it gets and not that premium

Bring back keyboards and small smartphones.

Yeah, as these days the margins are so tiny and the market is so competitive you're naturally going to avoid risk by doing something wacky like Nokia did decade ago.
Now it's all about avoiding risk. Just copy Iphone, sell it at a loss and try to make a profit somewhere else.

>Just copy Iphone, sell it at a loss and try to make a profit somewhere else.
It's all about branding. Getting your brand known and then exploiting the "Halo Effect" with other, better-priced products and accessories. Apple and Samsung are the only phone-makers in the black, the rest are losing money to buy brand recognition.

That's just brushed metal

Eggplant smartphone?

I would make Ultra Mobile Personal Computers instead

Attached: oqo-11.jpg (500x492, 27K)

smart dumb phoneposter

Been there, I know it can and has been done, and that it's pretty much dialup. But DSL >> anything else.

This is a genuine question.
Why do you all wipe out Miui and install custom ROMs when Miui is more than good enough today?