Anyone have any extended experience with trackball mice?

Anyone have any extended experience with trackball mice?
I have some very mild symptoms of RSI i'd like to prevent from further progressing and i'm wondering if something like this would actualy help. I'm especially curious about having to move the cursor down for extended periods of time since that looks rather uncomfortable after a while.
Also general pointing device thread.

Attached: trackball.jpg (355x355, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amzn.com/B000M7725M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Been using a M570 for a while now
Its amazing, feels barbaric to use a regular mouse after getting used to it.
Really helped with my wrist pain too. High recommend for anything other than vidya gaymes

I can also vouch for the m570.

I prefer trackball mice.

I used them at a call center job before. They are low key based

>Anyone have any extended experience with trackball mice?
They nearly all suck. The one Microsoft made a few years back is OK.

If mice are causing problems, get a small wacom tablet. I did this 20 years ago and have never regretted it.

> anything other than vidya gaymes
But thumbballs are great for shooters and simulators.

I used an m570 through all of uni. It's been 2 or 3 years since I replaced it, and I really want to buy one for the office now. I still find myself rolling my thumb around trying to find the ball on the side of my shitty stock lenovo mouse at work.

>call center job
hahahahaha

Best peripheral ever.

Your fingers or thumb will be sore, but it's because you aren't used to using them in fine detail. You're usually swinging your mouse.

Maximum comfy when you realize your right arm is no longer tethered to the table as well. .

thumb or finger?

I'm low iq so I don't care!

Been using an M570 for two years. I've only changed the battery twice. Completely eliminated my wrist pain. I like that I have a greater sense of precision now that I've been using it and using a regular mouse seems odd. Plus you can whip that ball around across the screen with ease once you get used to it.

Even with video games it's perfect. Actually you should play video games at first to develop the agility and precision needed for every day tasks. I use(d) it with RPGs and FPS, RTS and everything else. Invest in an M570 just to try it out. They're only like $25.

Attached: keyboards.jpg (4240x2400, 1.47M)

me when browsing this board

Attached: b23423b.png (795x593, 48K)

i don't undestand this image

Get this one instead
Control with your index finger, middle finger, and ring finger for quick imprecise movements. Utilize your thumb and index finger together for very fine precise movements. Its ridiculously fast and accurate. Thumb balls aren't as easy to use, won't ever be as quick to throw.

Kensington is the way to go.

Attached: mbank264676_w1400_h1400.jpg (1400x1400, 128K)

This. I bought an M570 and I wasn't very impressed. I'm sticking with mice. If I had to get another trackball, I'd try one you can manipulate with any of your fingers instead of just the thumb.

Also, OP, for your RSI problem, consider this (pic):
amzn.com/B000M7725M

I have a No 1 (140 lb). Get at least a Trainer level (100 lb of pressure to close).

Attached: CoC.jpg (972x1058, 116K)

to add to these guys, kensingtons are great for everything outside of gaming. takes some getting used to though, more than a thumbball, but the benefits are great, especially with office/doc stuff.
thumbballs though are faster to get used to since you're not changing much in hand positioning and still give you a good bit of benefit over /wrist mice. gaming is good, not as great as high dpi laser mice. you're also moving the fail point from your wrist to your thumb, kinda like console controllers.
you could also try a vertical mouse, where your hand is in an almost pistol-grip like fashion (you move your wrist a lot less just from the different holding position).
there's also pistol grip trackballs, but existing ones are pretty shitty quality wise. if kens/logi made one, i'd try it fast

I use an m570 and a k400 plus in bed. my mobility is limited but this setup is pretty nice to deal with it

i've got a bud who uses one and always has. we play games together. played with him for years before it even came up. it hasn't ever seemed to really slow him down (he's pretty good). probably a big learning curve but servicable

Its like changing keyboards, it takes about a day to really get used to. Maybe a couple days to fully reorient yourself. Its not a hard switch to make.
I move between a Kensington ball and a Logitech MX Revolution every day.

Does anyone make a good compact trackball for travel/laptop use? There's one Kensington model but it has a weird optical scroll system which I'm not keen on.

Seems to me that a trackball is far superior than a mouse for travel since you don't need a flat surface to work on.

bought the logitech mx ergo after years of issues using normal mice. Yeah, it's a lot more comfy. No more need to move my wrist at all which is amazing. I think trackballs should be the default.

I used one for a long time. My take: they're fantastic for work applications and good for general use, but terrible for videogames. I need to get me a new one, my old logitech died a while ago.

Fingerballs like the CST, Elecom Huge, or Elecom DEFT Pro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thumbballs like the Logitech M570

Rollmouse instead

I highly recommend it!
Been using trackball mice for ten years & I will never go back to a regular mouse.
They take some getting used to though, so don't get discouraged too quickly.

Get an M570, when it starts to double-click because Logitech buttons are shit, buy an Elecom (I have M-XT3DR) and put the ball from M570 in it because Elecom balls are crap and you'll have the best thumb trackball.