Browser cache

reminder that your browser is killing your SSD by caching files to disk

reminder to configure it to cache files to RAM if you're not a RAMlet

Attached: 1520475884326.png (800x473, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Profile_on_RAM
groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.apps.firefox/nqYLKTsOAbs/Fh7XO2PVUn0J
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SSD's are cheap.
They're supposed to be used as cache. Reminder your entire fucking OS being on an SSD is killing it faster than your browser.

reminder that using your SSD kills your SSD

there is literally no reason not to have your browser cache in RAM. how little RAM do you have that you care about it being used by your browser?

reminder to always do the opposite of what Jow Forums says

Jow Forums says to have it on the SSD because Jow Forums is RAMlet. OP says to do it on the RAM because OP not a RAMlet.

i've been doing this since 2014. thx anyway op

it also improves the performance of your browser.

How would I do this on Linux?
I already have /tmp mounted as a tmpfs but what else should I do?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Profile_on_RAM

op is a SSDlet

I have a SSD, but I also have 64GB RAM. you are a RAMlet.

Attached: 1513017217020.jpg (777x777, 233K)

> I also have 64GB RAM
I see you enjoy wasting money.

actually, I sometimes have to increase my paging file size because I run out of RAM.
>he thinks everyone's like him and only uses his computer for weebshit

The only reason you'd need more than 16GB is if you're running multiple VM's, and the only reason you'd need to run multiple VM's is for enterprise servers in which case you'd have a workstation tier computer with 128GB+ ram, so I don't know what the fuck you're doing.

>The only reason you'd need more than 16GB is if you're running multiple VM's
>t. autistic sperg who doesn't know what he's talking about.
go back to your animoo desktop posting.

Attached: 1536373229422.jpg (590x318, 48K)

>doesn't post reason for using 64gb ram for
>generic 'go back' post instead
Right.

groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.apps.firefox/nqYLKTsOAbs/Fh7XO2PVUn0J

>The main bad things are:

>1) This will slow down some plug-ins (Adober reader, for certain)
which rely on being able to get to the data as a file; if we can't
store it on disk in our cache, we'll have to stream it to a temp
file instead.
>2) The size of the memory cache is capped at a much lower number than
the size of the disk cache; it's a lot easier to fill it up and
start evicting things.
>3) The disk cache, unlike the memory cache, persists across restarts.
This means that you trade off slower startup (due to none of your
restored tabs being in cache) and slower initial visits to all
sites for slightly faster repeat visits to sites, as long as you
didn't visit too much stuff in between.
>4) We have ongoing work for Fx4 to make use of the memory cache as
well as the disc cache for the same content (right now we use one
or the other but not both for any given resource). Once we do
that, you'll get all the benefits of this "tweak" without the
drawbacks... and using the tweak at that point will be a strict
loss.

Attached: hxtyw6p3msl11.jpg (422x309, 25K)

All I do is turn off paging and VRAM under windows, and turn on RAPID mode (no crashes but I did modify the drivers to be LAA).

I'm not going to spoonfeed an absolute retard who unironically claims "The only reason you'd need more than 16GB is if you're running multiple VM's". Plus, I have to spoonfeed Jow Forumsay kiddies on this issue every single time it comes up.

Attached: 1506622042852.jpg (255x233, 29K)

OP here, also move your temp folder to a ramdisk.

>spoonfeed meme
>literally asked what you, specifically, use 64gb for
>still no answer

Got it, you enjoy wasting money. Next

or just don't cache

I don't enjoy waisting mony so I only buyed 8GB of ram.
Did I do good \g\?

>paging file
ms, ugh

okay you homosexual brainlet: meshing dense cloud point data (for example 3D scans)

my last scan required all my RAM + 150GB of paging file.

Attached: 1509473839798.jpg (285x270, 9K)

8GB is on the low side. 16GB should be plenty. 64GB if you're a moronic consumer that enjoys wasting money.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>windows
found you're problem.

I fell for this meme. Now I easily max out 16gb by running a single game and memory scanning. 2 years ago Jow Forums said the same thing about 8gb of ram, now it's the recommended requirement for most games. OP don't listen to this idiot and cheap out on ram. Never take Jow Forums hardware advice.

>Adober reader
literally WHO uses that in current year? no one.
>The size of the memory cache is capped at a much lower number than
I set my own size, you can too.
>The disk cache, unlike the memory cache, persists across restarts.
I have set firefox up to clear everything except for history and session on exit.
> We have ongoing work for Fx4 to make use of the memory cache as
>Fx4
do you now realize you're reading about firefox from a post from 2010? none of this is relevant anymore

I have paging disabled and run games and other large programs all the time with no issue. And this is coming from someone with 25% of their 16gb completely shot.

you don't realize this has nothing to do with the OS right? meshing dense point cloud requires loads of memory and when you run out of RAM your option is your SSD.

>games
games barely use the CPU cores, they suck at multithreading, and are nothing compared to actual serious software. All games really run hard on is your GPU.
>other "large programs"
the size of the program has nothing to do with RAM usage.

literally fuck off back to /v/eddit because you sound computer illiterate as FUCK.

>Jow Forums is just weeaboo gaymers
no wonder no one here discusses actual technology

meant for:

>I use software which other people designed to do 3D scans so im clearly the -only- one where who discusses 'actual' technology

unless you're a programmer that worked on that mesh shit then you're no better then anyone else in this thread you massive faggot.

anime website. fuck off to reddit

>other people designed
first you cuckolds don't know about anything that uses a lot of ram other than MUH VM and now you talk as if you know about software? get the fuck out of here kid.

t. weeb redditshill

>hurp a derp i photoshop and it uses 256GB ram!
>you people clearly don't know anything about technology or software since you do not use as ram as i do!

You can't be older than 12.

>doesn't even know how to t.
>thinks weebs don't belong on Jow Forums
yep you are definitely in the wrong place, gramps

pssh I use ms paint to upscale low res PNGs to 8k JPGS. Uses 90% of my Ram! How come nobody here talks about ACKTUAL technology?

>photoshop
who here mentioned that?
>hurr durr I gayme so I know software
kys

ITT: ZOOMERS ZOOMING

>who here mentioned that?
analogy

but it's irrelevant to this discussion because I gave you a real example. Is it because you have no fucking clue what it's about? kek.

Attached: 1506599012600.jpg (683x1024, 52K)

if my video games don't use it, nothing uses it!

Attached: 1524150521620.jpg (645x729, 81K)

>real example
and your example was equivalent to someone using photoshop and having to utilize all their ram. I mentioned VM's because I assumed you were a programmer or a system admin, or someone in the tech field doing something, not some cuck playing around with 3D scans of their bedroom.

Just don't use your SSD to the full and it will be fine.

>games barely use the CPU cores, they suck at multithreading, and are nothing compared to actual serious software. All games really run hard on is your GPU
I was using an example he would understand. I do OS and prog development too, but again I doubt he'd know or care about that shit. And I meant large as in "needs lots RAM" you dumbfuck autist.
About what? The RAM? One of my RAM sticks is fucked up from power surges. I don't understand why you're getting all bitchy about that. If it's about the other stuff, then see above.

>equivalent to someone using photoshop
I don't know why you keep bringing up photoshop, because it literally has nothing to do with the example nor this discussion.
>of their bedroom
you think such simple scans need hundreds of GBs of RAM? please go be a clueless teenager somewhere else.

>OS and prog development
lmao

Attached: 1520335558116.jpg (988x1059, 116K)

OPs are always agenda pushing faggots

>the agenda of reducing needless writes to SSD and speeding up your browser while barely using any RAM
holy shit!

reminder that SSDs are comically cheap and only poorfags cry about buying a $100 device every 5 years

it's still faster and RAM lasts longer

>complains about reddit posting
>posts reddit image and meme
Wew lad.

>I do OS and prog development too
my dad works at nintendo

>Wew lad.
hi plebbit

kek

>the size of the program has nothing to do with RAM usage

Attached: 1489217682148.gif (1080x1080, 505K)

he's literally correct though.

>being so new that you actually think wew lad is reddit and not ye olde fag meme

Then why don't browsers use RAM by default, or if it detects capacity beyond a certain threshold?

>>>/reddit/

>wew lad
>old
so are we at a point in time when newfags like you think they're oldfags?

browsers are absolute horse shit and have major problems up the ass. not doing this by default is nothing compared to all the retarded flaws they have.

Image files get loaded into memory in whole you dense fuck (at least for nix and Windows, not entirely sure about Mac), and use up memory. He is literally incorrect.

what the fuck are you talking about? he's talking about the size of the software.

I came here right on the border between old fags and new fags, and when I first started lurking here around '10 people were already getting really tired of it. And no, I never claimed to not be a newfag. But at least I'm not cancerfag like you that constantly goes on about MUH REDDIT but then has no fucking clue about what kind of memes oldfags were actually posting.

>have software that is less than a MB
>while working, it uses around 11GB of RAM
hmmm makes me think!

I'm a dev (like a real one - not a weebdev) and compiling large code bases eats RAM like you eat dicks. So fuck off dweeb and go jerk off to comics with your 16GB ram.

Reminder that even without moving the browser's cache and disabling swap your ssd will have enough write capacity to last over two centuries. It will fail long before that of course, but not because you wrote too much.

>SEETHING
calm down kid, go back to your video games.

That's how image files work. They get loaded into memory in it's entirety.

>Program gets loaded into memory
>It uses up memory
>UH USING MEMORY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MEMORY USAGE

Software will use AT LEAST its own size + the size of the libraries it uses. So of course the size of the program matters.

The performance discussion is moot. Kernel keeps often-used files in RAM anyways and moves them out only if it requires memory. Manually diddling with this shit will just decrease performance because now kernel file cache and browser cache will battle for the memory.

\thread

>entire thread raped by ramlet damage control from gayming ramlets who don't know shit about software

This.

Attached: 1521065550195.gif (500x375, 468K)

>I have set firefox up to clear everything except for history and session on exit.
child fucker detected

The OS won't even necessarily load the dependencies, if you so choose to, but on Windows for example you can call a Win32 function that loads it after the program has loaded. I'm assuming Linux has something similar, or that there's some library someone wrote somewhere that does an equivalent action.

>>SEETHING
you have to go back

Lmao retard. So your video games copy 50gb to ram?

What SSD brands are good to buy?

>all game's resources are in the game's binary
-you

weebs belong in a gas chamber

Sandisk, kingston, adata

>what are kernel caches
it's almost as if you were a dumb consumer NPC who knows nothing about that magic machine he uses to jerk off to japanese comics

You replied defending a retard who claimed the entire size of the software is relevant

Your kernel crashes because your browser caches to ram?

Attached: erSg9M9.gif (517x328, 1.69M)

>Image files get loaded into memory in whole
this only happens with badly written open source lol

>some random textures and meshes or miscellaneous data files are now considered software

It wasn't about video games you mong

That's literally how EXE and Linux image files you work, you dumbfuck.

what fucking binary has a text segment larger than a few megabytes lol?

I thought Samsung was the only SSD brands?

>miscellaneous data files are now considered software

>only videogames have resources that aren't code

>can't make a single argument so he just shitposts
Kys you autistic brainlet

Data segments get loaded too, and space is reserved for the BSS (stack on some systems) segment as well. On Windows that also includes all the other sections such as import, export, exceptions, etc.

Holy shit, imagine being this much of a retard