Are dark themes a meme or scientifically useful for your eyes?

Are dark themes a meme or scientifically useful for your eyes?

Attached: ed5.gif (540x497, 2.81M)

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/bg/firefox/addon/togglewebsitecolors/#desktop
justgetflux.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Half of the population has natural eyesight aversion towards dark backgrounds with bright accents while the other half has natural eyesight aversion towards bright backgrounds with dark accents, so it's all up to personal affinity and preferences.

It's a meme, but i tend to work at evenings and night when I'm most productive and dark themes and dark themes are comfy for me

Just choose whatever you like

>scientifically useful
That phrase doesn’t mean anything. But the only evidence so far is that you shouldn’t look at bright lights if you’re trying to go to sleep. Even blue light content didn’t seem to matter in a recent IES study.
>natural eyesight aversion
What the fuck does that mean?

>What the fuck does that mean?
Astigmatism. It's a 50-50 distribution among humanity.
Half gets tired out faster by bright backgrounds and finds them uncomfortable, the other half gets tired out faster by dark backgrounds and finds them uncomfortable.

It's scientifically proven that watching TV or a computer in a dark room is bad for the eyes. Particularly children's eyes. Hence the eye health warnings on every single video game.

The reason is that the eye is constantly switching between looking at something bright and something dark. The eye tries to grow larger over time to compensate for this. If the screen is relatively darker, it should theoretically reduce the negative effects.

Attached: 1514886195544.webm (1280x720, 1.59M)

I use Yotsuba B theme, just changed to tomorrow one and noticed that my eyes feel different

I find arc-dark the comfiest theme for both xfce and kde so I'm naturally drawn to making everything loldarklikemysoul

Is DanMachi Sword Oratoria worth watching? Loved the original but couldn't get more than two episodes into Sword Oratoria for some reason. Have been thinking about going back to it just for Hestia's chest-ia

>ah, this dark theme is so comfy
>oh, I wanted to search for something on the internets
>let me see…
BAM
BIG
WHITE
BACKGROUND

This is why I like watching Stargate SG-1 before I go to sleep. So many low light scenes.

Very old monitors begin Black background and green letters, making programmers use dark themes even in modern monitors as “hacker” symbol

This, the only thing that damages your eye the most is the sudden change from black to white

For me personally it's because light backgrounds give me mygrains.

contrast is the only thing that matters. For example, light green text on a light purple background causes AIDS

This thread is making me think, in the future you'd think that the need for glasses, lenses, etc will skyrocket as kids are exposed to screens of all types from birth and will be relying on them more and more over things like books and other tangible/non-electronic sources of characters and visuals.

Look Asia

You really think you can bait me by saying that? We both already know which country is already 60% short sighted because of this.

and the final half doesn't care.

Its like the matrix user why would you want a light theme

Why people think that looking light from screens is any more harmful than the light that gets your eye normally?

>scientifically
nothing has been proven scientifically AFAIK. That includes dark themes and the yellow color shifting shit

That's not astigmatism, you retard.

dark themes evoke terminals of old and are therefore more 1337

Why you a moron who no talk good?

brestia

because screens rapidly flash bright light into your eyes, whereas natural light sources do not.

The lack of a dark theme has become a dealbreaker for me. How dark theme is not the industry standard yet is beyond me.

i tested all the things for eyes care:
xiaomi glasses, flux/redshift, dark themes
all works

natural light sources flash @ 300000fps

>implying I didn't install an add-on that changes every website to white-on-black

It is you retard. The effects on the iris closing or opening depending on the color scheme has differing effects on those with and those without astigmatism.

That has nothing to do with astigmatism.

It does brainlet.

>People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the “deformed” lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

>Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

You can now shut the fuck up politely and go sulk in a corner for being outed as a brainlet.

They are scientifically bad for your eyes. Marginally by themselves, considerably by the use environment they promote.

>been using a dark theme since '88
>eyesight still as functional as ever at my 3-year checkups
I've stopped caring about the opinions of eyelets on the topic of themes affecting eyesight a long time ago.

post actual sources instead of reddit pseudointellectual babble you dumb fuck

>been fapping since 16
>eyesight dropped to shit
>especially the right eye
>fap with the right hand too
God fucking damn it, they weren't lying when they told me I'll go blind from this shit!

You just confirmed I'm right. Astigmatism is a fucked up lense, not an aversion to light on dark backgrounds like you claimed. People into guns who have it can't use dot sights because the dot gets funny shaped.

I CAN LITERALLY FEEL PAIN IN MY EYES YOU DUMB FUCKING SHIT WHAT MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED

You can't even speak English properly and you seek to lecture others?

I'm not the user you are arguing with but are you legitimately retarded

They make me feel comfy and that's all the scientific proof i need of them being useful.
Anyone who disagrees is just a contrarian niggerfaggot with no taste and the intellectual capacity of a semi-developed sub-plebeian.

Attached: 2018-09-26_180254.png (1411x1100, 1.51M)

sunoharasou no kanrinin-san

Dark themes are a covert way to shill for blacked and cuckhold

This is a joke right?

can't you try and see for yourself any night which one lights your room more?

at night you should also reduce the temperature

Your birth was a joke.

addons.mozilla.org/bg/firefox/addon/togglewebsitecolors/#desktop

Shadowfox

I'm not me either. Does that make my opinion supersede yours?

on AMOLED screens itsl saves battery time

lmao that font

i meant the OP post

>It is you retard. The effects on the iris closing or opening depending on the color scheme has differing effects on those with and those without astigmatism.

>You just confirmed I'm right. Astigmatism is a fucked up lense, not an aversion to light on dark backgrounds like you claimed.

Either you have 0 reading comprehension or you are plain retarded
Where does he say that astigmatism is an aversion to light. He is citing a work that states light sources close the iris which in turn decreases the effect of astigmatism

Only if it's full on pitch black. The tomorrow theme is dark grey.

While not conclusive, all research on this topic suggests that an off-white/beige background with a very dark grey font color works best.

It depends on light condition

There’s a reason normalfags need flux or truetone or whatever, instead of the logical choice

>Astigmatism. It's a 50-50 distribution among humanity.
Half gets tired out faster by bright backgrounds and finds them uncomfortable, the other half gets tired out faster by dark backgrounds and finds them uncomfortable.

The retard says astigmatism is an aversion to light. Case closed.

*bangs gavel*

>a fucked up lens, two types of fucked up lenses in fact, does not lead to a focus-influenced aversion towards one scheme or another depending on type
Spotted the soiturd.

Who cares, use whatever you like.

I have astigmatism and I can sort of confirm this
also, high contrast white text on black backgrounds cause a bit of burn-in on my eyes for a while, but that's probably another matter

Light themes on well illuminated environments and dark themes on dark or dim environments, otherwise you'll damage your eyes in the long run and considering the last glasses thread you're all mostly blind as bats already for roleplaying as le epin hackers
t.Perfect vision boomer

Are you an applel user?

Attached: Screenshot_20180926-201437_Clover.jpg (1080x1920, 370K)

Your monitor is a lightbulb, not a sheet of paper.

>Hence the eye health warnings on every single video game.
Only if you're a weeb.

Partially correct.

Our eyes adjust to ambient light conditions, so staring at a bright screen in a dark room, or staring at a dark screen in a bright room both put strain on your eyes. The brightness of what you're looking at should be roughly ambient brightness, that goes for reading books too.

oh, that looks like the boob goddess from danmachi

Forgot source, but it's from lack of sunlight when growing up.

>scientifically useful

Attached: guide-decker.gif (700x525, 841K)

Wait a minute, that bulge...

>high increase in nearsightedness correlated heavily with computer usage
>is it a meme

Why are people so stupid? Use flux, use dark themes, use whatever the fuck you need to use if you don't want to go blind.

I find dark themes more comfortable for no particular reason, I guess I just like it.

its cameltoe

being in a dark room all day is bad for the eye development in the first place

It's a circlejerk reddit jumped on. tbf it's nice to have dark theme but still doesn't mean every website or app needs to have it.

>VoLTE
>Brown accent colour

Pajeet spotted

>the site you visit is black - add-on make it white
>MY EYES!

Yes give me rupees, I'm a Microsoft worker

It's not a color inversion.

Not a meme for me

its a meme. dark themes just tend to look more asthetically pleasing tho

They're objectively better for nighttime computing.

>not wearing programmer sunglasses when it gets dark

Attached: index.jpg (268x188, 8K)

basado y rojoencapsulado

Hestia Hestia

Blue screen and purple text is unironically the best theme.

>going back to it just for Hestia's chest-ia
well you won't see her in the whole season, iirc she only gets two or three scenes

>entering programming mode at work
>nobody bothers me when the glasses go on

Attached: 1507899538021.png (634x623, 943K)

>not balancing it out by doing shit outside either for fun or to be useful
They deserve it

justgetflux.com
Think again

what is smart invert

Why is Numix so comfy, bros..

It's not so much with bright vs. dark backgrounds to do. It's just as reasonable for paper to be white with black text as it is for displays to be dark with bright text. One is reflective, the other emissive, and just trying to do what one does on the other isn't a good idea.

You wouldn't just take a flashlight and shine it into your eyes for the pleasure of it, would you? Unless so, why would you do that actual same thing with a monitor?

>justgetflux.com
>windows/mac

Attached: 1511293721433.jpg (503x436, 48K)

Dark themes are for when you are working in the dark, and light themes are for working the light.

You are almost correct. It is a lack of natural sunlight that is causing poor eyesight in children, according to most research.
It is crucial for children to be exposed to as much natural light as possible until their eyes fully develop

dunno but black backgrounds make me sleepy. I barely ever get 8 hours of sleep though

Dark themes are scientifically useful memes for your eyes.

If you weren't illiterate you'd notice that there are download options for linux below the download button

Yeah and we're especially not like cats with their green retinas and all

once u go to the tomorrow theme u don't go back