/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read
→ →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 77.jpg (500x500, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.cppreference.com/w/c/memory/realloc
bbspot.com/News/2002/03/ocjesus.html
superuser.com/questions/1337801/why-is-recaptcha-image-fade-in-out-so-slow
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kmspico-official-thread.65739/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/d2MP7W
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How should I go about testing to see if I need to use realloc()?

Is VLC the best basic media player to use? I know MPV exists, but I want a quick one to put on my school laptop.

Get mpc-hc via klite codec via ninite.com

let's see how long it takes before this OP image is removed

wat

Has anyone ever had to download a Sophos VPN client to connect to their workplace VPN? Does the Sophos client do anything to my computer other than open and close the network connection? I don't wanna get monitored/botnetted when I'm disconnected from work.

What would be the easiest way to unlock an S6 for a complete newbie to this stuff? Thanks in advance anyone who can help

Go to ninite.com and get klite codec which contains mpchc

Give it back, Jamal.

Pretty much any brand/style of SSD is going to be faster than any HDD correct?

Yes. You just don't want to get some shit brand that will break 2 weeks in. Also try to avoid

Only thing you can do is start it in download mode and factory reset it. This will erase everything

Call your carrier and ask. If it's paid off they will do it for you.

I recently got a USB wireless adapter since I don't have access to hard cable connection in my building. I've noticed that many of these have fake antennas. Does anyone familiar with this industry/product-type know if that's the case for most/all of these things?
I'm not so curious about my specific type, since I can just open it myself; I'm more interested if this is a common practice to fool silly consumers. My image is of a bluetooth adapter, but I've seen similar ones for just WiFi.

One other option that I use (on Windows) is Bomi player, but I don't know if Jow Forums and/or /a/ would bully me for that.

Is it exactly 5 boot attempts each time or approximately? Once your computer hardware starts doing undefined things, it's a problem. I can't advise your specific case too much, but I don't think it's the new graphics card's fault unless it's making your case too hot (straw that broke camel's back). In any case, you should clean your computer of dust at least once a month.

I'm not sure about testing to see if you need to use it?
Based on my memory and the below
en.cppreference.com/w/c/memory/realloc
I think a common case is when you know you will have an object, but it might increase in size. I've rarely seen it used in my work though.

Attached: fakeAntenna.jpg (1000x880, 59K)

Posted in last thread but I got no responses
I have a partition that is 50 gigabytes big but only has 30 gigabytes of data stored on it. I want to make a LVM snapshot of this partition but what size is safe? would it be ok to make it 30 gigabytes or do i need a whole 50 gigabytes of extra space for the snapshot?

How hard would it to be to make an app that can take broken, awkward English produced by a non-native speaker, and reformat it into something that reads naturally without changing the overall meaning? Is there anything like this already?

I guess some idiots might see the antenna and think they must be getting like way hella power off that thing. Obviously just steer clear of sketchy chink shit like that, getting an actually decent brand bluetooth adapter isn't much more expensive than the chink ones anyway so there's not much reason to buy bullshit just to save a couple dollars

Alright, was gonna create a thread but since this is here, let's see, I got 90gb of music files that I want to have always available in multiple devices, what would be the best? Getting a cheap portable hdd or getting some cloud service?

Actually my router has an usb slot, can I just slap some hdd in there and have ir available through ip?

sounds really hard

Using Thunderbird to subscribe to a Gmail account -- how do I stop the spam folder from getting marked as containing "unread messages"?

I'd like Thunderbird to automatically mark everything from gmail's spam folder as "junk", but if that's not possible I'd at least like the folder to stop saying it has unread messages in it

How big would be the upgrade from Sony MDRZX300 to TH-MX2 or ATH-M20X?

Or should i spend more and buy something like MDR-7506?
I have never bought expensive headphones but i have the budget to do so now.

Multiple devices all inside your home? You probably want to set up a home server or network-attached-storage or something

She probably means carrier lock.
American phone companies do some weird anticompetitive bullshit with malware on their phones to stop them from working on competitors' networks

>She

dumb loliposter

is it possible to get the Jow Forums tomorrow css?

>entire world
>Megabyte kilobyte gigabyte
>The us
>??????
Well? What does the us system measure data with?

Attached: greeks.jpg (513x651, 146K)

>>entire world
>>The us

bbspot.com/News/2002/03/ocjesus.html

Marketing uses 1000, everyone else uses 1024

unironic question: how do i begin to get into GNU/Linux?
I want to fully immerse myself into Jow Forums autism but don't know anything about any of that business.

Attached: 1521300974644.jpg (1024x768, 100K)

Do what the rest of us do. Install ubuntu and google every time you have a stupid question. There are guides for goddamn everything.

how technical are you already
if you're fairly proficient in tech shit in general but just unfamiliar with linux, you could start with some of the "do everything yourself" distros like gentoo or arch linux to really get an understanding of how shit works

if you want a nice "friendly" distribution you can try debian or linux mint

superuser.com/questions/1337801/why-is-recaptcha-image-fade-in-out-so-slow

>Humans are punished for solving captcha too quickly
am i alone in having to do multiple captchas each fucking post and they all are doing this 5 second fade out/in shit? jesus fuck this system is shit

I'm running Windows 7 on an SSD with two additional hard drives for storage. Is there a way to keep one hard drive powered on at all times while still allowing the other to power down when not in use? The only option I know of is the one in the power settings which applies to all hard drives in the system.

>My image is of a bluetooth adapter, but I've seen similar ones for just WiFi.
That 1" strip of copper is about perfect size for Bluetooth. When you increase the size of the antenna, you get higher gain, but the shape of the field also gets more eccentric, which usually isn't what you want for devices that are never more than 30' away. If you look at legit fancy combo adapters like the Intel 7260, they usually have a separate small antenna just for Bluetooth.

install gentoo

nvm figured it out

IDs on Jow Forums please.

I have 2 hdd and 1 ssd. They are visible in the bios but for some reason not available to choose as boot devices. Any idea why?

They don't have a boot flag.

How do I give them one?
To give a bit more detail, they were available before but because I was messing with the sata arrangments they arent anymore.

Make liveUSB with ubuntu, install gparted, add the flag to the drive you want to boot from.

Im running win7, and cannot use anything to get anywhere past the bios. Maybe theres a setting I should be enabling or disabling?

Is it normal that if I'm running Win10 64-bit and have one 8Gb stick of RAM, only 6,95 is said to be usable?
For a while I thought it was due to some of it being reserved for hardware or system processes, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Attached: 1526545483410.jpg (720x631, 81K)

Try disconnecting all but the one drive you want to boot from.

I have a 7" Nook tablet, it's using Android 5.x. I added music to a folder from my computer and used Google Play Music to play it.

How do I get that music on to my new Fire HD 10 2017 ?

tl;dr how do I transfer music that was played via Googke Play to my Computer. The music wasn't purchased through the app either and it's on a microSD

Attached: FireHD10.jpg (1000x1000, 119K)

I love you user

Always have a Parted Magic Live boot disc in case, it'll install a version of Linux to your ram that will do nearly anything you could want.

You can't just copy the files?

Nope, they're all renamed and most aren't visible.

Some is reserved for the system.

Can someone recommend a game engine/ sdk that will run on low spec hardware and reading material for it.

This SanDisk SD card\Android\data\com.google.android.music\files\music

It's empty

see

Should I upgrade to windows 10?
My 8.1 installation is just completely fucked, half of the services don't work, drivers for my card are no longer developed for 8.1 and I have a ton of graphic based errors within all web browsers.

Reformat and install it.

You can get an iso from microsoft so you don't have to worry about malware.

Use KMSPico to give it a license, but DO NOT EVER use KMSpico unless it comes from this thread.

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kmspico-official-thread.65739/

I was given an old "gaming laptop" for free because the internal fans no longer work. I have found that if I open dxdiag, the fans will turn on. There is a louder fan that stops after a few seconds and then a normal sounding fan that stays on as long as I keep the window open.
The current fix is to keep dxdiag open, but is there something I'm missing to actually repair this?

Run something that should make the fans kick in. In the end new fans will be dirt cheap.

Thanks, I'll give this a go. The tool Microsoft has me download to compile the win10 ISO doesn't have Pro as an option, is there some other version you were referring to that I might have missed?

I started learning programming like a year ago. Up until now it has been all cli programs and one small game using Java swing.
I want to understand how output is shown (images rendered, GUIs built) aside from std output in the command line, and not using GUI libraries (which abstract away the thing I'm trying to understand). I mean, how are windows with more than text generated? Where can I beggin to understand this?

How to prevent SSD data rot when turned off

What is the best cloud storage service to use, if any at all? I already have all my shit backed up on a hard drive but I'm also paranoid that I'm going to break or lose it somehow.

I want to compress an entire windows from windows. any idea what format should I use with 7zip? I want to be able to extract it into another hard drive with parted magic's commandline whenever I want.

Also there needs to be compression otherwise it's not worth it

My roommate is breaking lease and leaving, as a wagecuck having to pay his share is going to kill me.

I'm gonna have to have my cable/home internet shut off, cancel my T-mobile and go with a poverty carrier like FreedomPop to make rent until I can get someone new.

What's the best way for me to pirate games/anime without my own connection?

Would a cheap VPN on a serviceless android phone work for piracy using public connections like at my local library?

Can they still block torrents even if I use a VPN?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/d2MP7W
with this as my current build would i be able to upgrade my gpu to a 1080ti or 1080 and be free from bottlenecking by other components or should i upgrade other components first, im going for better fps in games btw

>laptop is erratically charging or not when plugged

sometimes it will charge when plugged in sometimes it acts as if its not getting charged

so is this fucked or can I still do something? I've tried removing the battery and putting it back. Wiggling the ac adapter a bit. It seems like it picks randomly whether it charges or not

Is there an app for android phones that will silence your phone automatically every night in a given time window?

I always mute my phone before i go to bed but then i forget to turn it back on when i wake up and miss my calls.

Do Not Disturb is built into recent androids

>My roommate is breaking lease and leaving,

take him to small claims

what is the best linux distro for gaming?

>Would a cheap VPN on a serviceless android phone work for piracy using public connections like at my local library?
That should work.

Sounds like a bad battery.

I'll Google how to do this, never had to go to court before.

If it's gonna take a feet months or something I'm still gonna need to cancel my shit though.

That's good, thanks.

it doesn't charge or turn on when I remove the battery while still plugged

Ubuntu, especially if you need your hand held.
Otherwise Linux Mint (built on top of Ubuntu) or Ubuntu MATE.
If you're not too dumb to use a search engine, consider Debian, Devuan, Manjaro or Arch.
Gentoo for hard mode.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Should be the same whether you're installing home or pro. Try this key during install

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Boot it at least once a year.

Zip archives aren't built to do that. You want to make an image with something like macrium reflect. You can also use clonezilla, but it has limitations on the restore.

If my 390 fans have stopped spinning and I get no display off of it, is it a lost cause?

how much does it cost to manufacture like the pyra but with some more modern hardware?

I wish I had a gf like that.

I want to access the web interfaces of different applications without always typing the port numbers. Is there a simple way to do this that doesn't involve setting a damn webserver? IE. transmission.local instead of transmission.local:9091

I'm not a networking expert but I do have tomato on my router

This is so fucking retarded. I've installed Windows 7 on a brand new SSD and am updatingg it through Windows Update. Not only did the 1.65 GB of updates take 1 hour of downloading (even though I've got a fast internet and would normally download it in a matter of seconds) but they installed for 5 FUCKING HOURS. And it's not all the updates yet. How the fuck do I speed up this process? Help?

Attached: 545.jpg (600x600, 27K)

Modestly adept in python. Should i consider learning C++?

What's the best/easiest to use IDE for writing C (not C++) on a Mac?

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory - 05 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_12.33.jpg (1920x1080, 198K)

I was playing shit earlier and I went to take a piss while I was queuing for some stuff and while in the bathroom I heard the windows start up noise - I go back and the monitors are off. My GPU fans won't spin, but the CPU graphics work - at least if I don't unplug the HDMI from the mobo, otherwise if I try to plug it back in it's fucked and I have to restart again.
Is my GPU done for? Anyway to test this thing?

>How the fuck do I speed up this process?
You don't. It's a feature :^)

I would understand if they intentionally fucked with pirates. But this is a legit copy. Goddammit.

Well if you installed the original release, you have 9 years of updates to catch up to. There are ways to slipstream updates into the installation iso...

I downloaded the iso from the site because for some reason my CD didn't boot. I used a legit cd key and there are more features than on my old system. So I guess you could be right. But still installing a mere 1.65 GB for 5 hours? Pretty fucking unreasonable.

Is there actually a video converter that actually converts video to 60fps?

Attached: 0fc3828e-a172-4b65-8472-116c0f6cecb9.jpg (1080x1080, 198K)

Handbrake has all you need. But if you mean converting 30fps to 60fps then you won't get anywhere without blending the frames. But the resulting video will be muddy as hell.

any video converter should be able to "upscale" 25/30 fps videos to 60, however you won't gain much from it, the missing frames won't magically appear

I use "xmedia recode" for simple conversions most of the time

My apartment got a RJ45 plug in the wall, can I use my Buffalo Airstation NFINITI as a modem?

connect the wallplug to your router's WAN port and set it to "auto connect (DHCP)" or similar

I'm not sure what you mean by modem, there should be ethernet already coming out of the wall plug

Yes i don't mind that but what does blending do?

Attached: 2b2f1d80-6dba-4b7c-b928-bf6228def41d.jpg (639x769, 63K)

if it says that the psu has 4x 6/2 pci-e cables does that mean that i will be able to use 2 from 2 ports to connect to my gpu?
I need to connect 2x 6 pins to my gpu
my current psu is fucking up and i need new one asap
I literally cannot find a psu with 6/6 pin cable

>if it says that the psu has 4x 6/2 pci-e cables does that mean that i will be able to use 2 from 2 ports to connect to my gpu?
do you have a link to that psu or brand + model?

Oh wait, sorry. The thing I was actually talking about refers to converting from 60 fps to 30 fps, not the other way around. You can't really get a 60fps out of nothing, unless there are some major bullshit techniques used.