This computer can do anything yours can, only slower

This computer can do anything yours can, only slower.

Attached: computer.jpg (1280x720, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BlbQsKpq3Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=HyznrdDSSGM&list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
youtube.com/watch?v=HlUe0TUHOIc
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>can't resolve fizzbuzz

Fucking source cunnnnttttt?

if i % 3 == 0 and i % 5 == 0:
print("FizzBuzz")
elif i % 3 == 0:
print("Fizz")
elif i % 5 == 0:
print("Buzz")
else:
print(i)

I'm in digital design right now feels good.

Does anyone here actually design cpus? From what I can understand this must take HUNDREDS of engineers this computer Ben Eater made is puny.

but can it run fortnite pops

Attached: 1535481283017.gif (404x561, 166K)

[not really versed in this but]
Can you give us general spec?
How much memory? What kind of instruction set? Bits?

No it can't because 1) not the same architecture and 2) constrains

Some tasks are realtime. For example audio playback- if you can't reach 100% speed for the chosen playback method, it's useless.

I can cook eggs on my heat sink. Can you?

It's not x86 so no.

Get on my levels faggots.
youtube.com/watch?v=BlbQsKpq3Ak

It can be emulated.

Can it burn my house down?

Attached: 480.jpg (800x800, 173K)

I built one of these for a project class with a group. It only had 4-bit addressing but it was a really fun project.

But it can execute equivalent digital operations that would correspond with playing the audio file. Just because it's not in a human comprehensible format, does not mean the calculations were not completed.

good old meme

>cant playback at 100% speed
OP said slower you mong

Multicore processing.

Not built in minecraft. The zoomers won't care.

Attached: 1536993021655.gif (652x562, 626K)

It can process equivalent instructions.

Like I said. Anything your computer can do, only slower.

can it display graphics in 4k monitor? while at it, can it run some newest triple A game?
I don't think it can even make these calculations, I don't think CPU has enough memory.
So no, no it can't.
Stupid OP

here is my computer

Attached: unnamed (1).jpg (393x373, 26K)

very slowly

It cannot control an autonomous car on a road full of traffic.

>tfw fermi is an old meme now

it's not Turing complete

It can solve problems equivalent to those the software and hardware in an autonomous car would solve. Just slower.

It's not in a usable format for the car, but that does not mean the calculations that would be needed to do so are unsolvable on the posted computer.

64 bit calculations

64 bit calculations can be broken into smaller steps to get the same answer.

It can do anything your computer can do, only slower.

Yeah, except 64 bit calculations then.
/thread

But can it play Crysis?

>Using DIPs instead of implementing everything with individual transistors

More seriously what kind of masochist would breadboard all that instead of getting a $20 dollar circuit board printed?

That's Ben Eater's youtube channel

Wiring it up as you go sounds more fun than having to design it on your monitor from start to finish.

>make puny cpu
>use puny cpu to design better cpu
>repeat

I remember how in Morrowind you could use fortify intelligence potions to recursively break the game via exponential feedback. But humanity actually did it in real life. Pretty cool desu

Here, just watch the whole thing bud. youtube.com/watch?v=HyznrdDSSGM&list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU

>basic farming and agriculture
>civilizations flourish
>agriculture becomes 10x more efficient
wew, such innovation

Can it charge my phone over USB?

>USB

Attached: 1534276707416.jpg (508x524, 41K)

No, it has enormous storage limitations.
There actually is no Computer that is an actual Turing machine.

Thanks dude

>64 bit calculations can be broken into smaller steps to get the same answer.
>It can do anything your computer can do, only slower.

By that reasoning, this single chip is a computer that can do anything your computer can do, only slower

Attached: nand3.jpg (602x279, 36K)

>but can it run fortnite pops
Yes.

>This computer can do anything yours can, only slower.

Some things are required to be real-time and therefor cannot be done "only slower", so this computer if fact CANNOT "do anything yours can, only slower."

Attached: Untitled-2.jpg (1080x720, 186K)

That is not a computer. You don't understand what a computer is. You should go play in traffic.

A 7400 isn't truing complete. Any Turing compete machine can emulate any other Turing complete machine.

Based Ben Eater.

Not a real CPU really, but I've tried my luck a few times. I've implemented a memory controller , ALU and FPU before. I never did bother with the instruction interpreter etc.

Not very impressive or interesting though, is it?

This is amazing. However, isn't it a bit like repairing phones and to some extend laptops? An advanced knowledge that is in fact non-profitable and mostly useless in real life? There's no return for learning something that complex most of the time as nobody will pay you more than 20$ for repairing a phone. And very few employees need someone who can make their own computer for them.

*given infinite memory

Don't forget, a Turing machine presupposes am infinite tape. Here on the physical plane, space complexity will limit your computable solution set.

Holy fucking hell, Jow Forums is this retarded.

>WHAT IS TURING COMPLETENESS

It literally can do all of these things because it's turing complete. It just won't do them in exactly the same way, but specific implementation details never mattered to Turing completeness, nor did performance.

You might as well say an AMD processor can't do the things an Intel processor does because of some minor implementation detail, completely disregarding the fact that the result of the operation is equal.

The mov instruction on x86 is Turing complete too. Just like the processor in the OP, it can do literally all of the things you talked about, and that's all Turing completeness cares about.

youtube.com/watch?v=HlUe0TUHOIc

So you don't consider it interesting because it's not the latest and greatest phone. Why do you feel this is a relevant thing to bring up?

You post on a technology board and instead of simply participating in the dozens of consumerist drone threads on the board you decide to shit up the one thread that isn't one. Just fucking kill yourself.

It's a programmable device for performing logical operations. Performing a 64bit calculation with OP's device and this chip would look very similar

Neither is OP's device, and for roughly the same reason: memory. But both can be fixed if you add on a human outside the device who is willing to take outputs and feed parts of them back in, essentially simulating a moving read/write arm over an infinite tape

That's what you'd have to do if you want to add two 64bit numbers with either of them, thus my statement that by 's reasoning, the single nand chip can also do anything your computer can do

No, I stand by my audio example. I understand that it can eventually crunch through the same data, but that isn't a used thing to do. If it isn't fast enough to feed a DAC at the correct rate, it would just be a waste of electricity.

So you can see that we reach a point where a difference in scale is a difference in kind. It's slow enough that it's no longer useful at all for that task. If the thing I want to do is "listen to music", then this thing CANNOT do it no matter how long I'm prepared to wait.

(Me)
*Used=useful

>hobby projects are worthless because they're not directly profitable
Sure thing, man. Why do you imply that people shouldn't ever be interested in anything or learn about shit if it isn't directly leading to money?

Besides, the knowledge of understanding of digital electronics required to build a processor is undeniably a marketable trade and will in fact land you a job. Advanced laptop and phone repair like what Louis Rossman does will also teach you enough to be able to market your trade within electronics.

Useful? No, not unless someone takes the same ISA and optimises it for performance. That was, however, not what the OP was talking about.

>Neither is OP's device, and for roughly the same reason: memory. But both can be fixed if you add on a human outside the device who is willing to take outputs and feed parts of them back in, essentially simulating a moving read/write arm over an infinite tape
By that logic an x86 chip also isn't Turing complete, which suggests you do not understand Turing completeness.

i wish for the day someone will sell us machines that allow us to build hardware
so we could at least build something like a PS1 or shit like that

This computer can do anything yours can, only slower.

Attached: computer.jpg (425x282, 99K)

I'd say the x86 chip and the 7400 both have turing complete instruction sets. Whether you can actually simulate another turing machine with them depends on memory and read/write mechanisms

>someone will sell us machines that allow us to build hardware
They do already though?

Attached: overview-banner.jpg (925x420, 125K)

I've seen someone boot Linux on an 8-bit Atmel AVR microcontroller. Memory is not an issue because you can access as much of it as you need through I/O.

What are you talking about? x86 has thousands of instructions. A 7400 has literally one:
>NAND

ONE x86 chip is Turing complete. ONE 7400 is not.

The only problem with microcontrollers is that they don't have an MMU, which creates a problem for kernels like Linux that require it. You can use external MMUs for that purpose, which is IIRC what the guy who booted linux on an AVR chip did.

>x86 has thousands of instructions
All of which can be implemented using NAND.

Fair point, but it doesn't make the 7400 chip itself Turing complete.

That's irrelevant. A non-MMU CPU can emulate one with an MMU. You can emulate a 4 core i7 and run Crysis on a 6502. That;s the point of being Turing complete.

Is everyone in this thread literally that retarded to not know the difference between a FSM and a turing machine?

can it photoshop feminine penises on anime sluts?

>photoshop
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
Rephrase your question, please.

pics

Knowledge is priceless you effin' goob
Sometimes understanding can be really special

Imagine not knowing a single fucking thing about the world around you, or maybe you only wanna know some things, but some people's thirst for that shit never quenches, and since EVERYTHING these days is a computer, it's really not so stupid to understand how this shit works beyond "electricity magic"

A Turing machine is a finite state machine plus a tape memory.

I get what you are saying about Turing completeness, but the thing about Turing machines is that the tape is INFINITE.
Real computers are limited by the amount of memory they can address. This computer can address less memory than mine, so there are concrete instances of problems that my computer can solve and this one can't

YOU CAN DO IT

only slower cause youre slow

How do you open the cd tray on that thing?!

Casual.

Attached: monolith.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

So can this, what's your point?

Attached: GettyImages-627013932_forweb-700x467.jpg (700x467, 73K)

dat thumb

It couldn't. It wouldn't have enough memory for that.

>This computer can do anything yours can, only slower.
No it can'd do "anything" mine can, it would require huge amounts of memory that you just couldn't hook up to it for it to do anything mine can.