/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pie Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Attached: OxygenOS 9.0 for OP6.png (998x512, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/nokia-8-bootloader-unlock/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Previous Thread:

In terms of good roms/non-botnet, is the note 8/9 or S9+ the better choice?

none of those are good choices in that regard.

Suggestions then?

oneplus phones are dev/rom havens due to the company being so developer friendly. any phones with unlocked bootloaders pretty much, but oneplus devices are especially good in that regard.

Cremepie

Guess I'll wait for 6T then considering I want wireless charging

Team Creme unite

Wireless charging and NFC gives you cancer

How bad is TMobile on the essential phone and how good is it's develop support with or without treble.

Also can someone explain what treble means for custom ROMs and development?

Couldn't care less I'll die of liver failure before cancer will ever get me, plus two out of my past 3 phones have had issues in the longterm with charging port so I'd like to be able to have the functionality

now that's what I'm talking about

Attached: 1537388096460.webm (640x800, 1.49M)

so im looking for a phone, I have an iPhone now which im happy with but seeing as the new phones cost a liver and a testicle, I wanna try out an android again. I'd like something that won't die or lag on me, I need to be reliable and that is top priority, pls no skins, or at least the ability to remove skins and use stock OS. Removable bloatware and battery to keep healthy (>85%) for around 4 years. I'm not big into buying more and more phones, my phone atm has lasted me 4 years, with 90% battery health.

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S or One Plus 6 are pretty good and cheap, or there is LGV20/V30

lovely, thank you user

eh. with the dash charge tech combines with the type c connector, plugging in my phone for literally 20 minutes to get 40-50% charge is really not a big deal. battery lasts all day anyway, so i only ever have to charge when i get home. for me it's not a deal breaker. it was convenient on my s7, but after choosing the op6 over other phones, headphone jack actually means more to me than meme charging.

>Buy chinkphone
>Enroll in SMS updates via USPS after it gets here
>They aren't sending the updates
Glad my tax dollars are serving me well.

how is pie on the op6? i'm torn between that and pixel 2 xl.

I just worry that the port will stop working and I will be unable to charge my phone, I seemingly have bad luck with that

guys should i upgrade to miui v10? i heard it has antirollback or something???

android POO

POOPOO INDIAN POCOCO POOCO

Attached: 1529254169570.png (1543x767, 210K)

that was an issue with connector quality in general and wasn't specific to any one phone. every phone company got those connectors from one company, and years ago, especially micro usb 2.0, were faulty as fuck. type c has no issue it seems, as of yet.

Ah that is great to hear, thanks that opens my choices up a little bit more then

any good chinkphones for a vzw cuck? especially fond of the honor note 10 but I don't think it's an option.

Attached: 1536888824092.gif (500x375, 1.42M)

After a long search, 6 months ago. I finally made my decision price /quality wise. And i fell for the Xiaomeme. Next to my previously owned Oneplus X, is this the best phone i ever had. Perfect for daily use. Fast enough (4gb Ram, expendable memory, octacore snapdragon 625, 5.1" screen, above average battery 3080mah, headphone jack ofc, led notifications, physical buttons) this phone has no downside for me. Its not a note 9 or op6, but it does the job fairly enough. 78k antutu score. Proper dual cameras. And best of all, it comes with "Android One", and is therefore very easy to flash, but root etcetera. Has a very active modding community on xda etc, and they make everything your heart desires for it. Only "downside" if you like amoled and shit, this phone had led/lcd.

I would honestly recommend this phone to everyone. Best decision i made in years

Attached: mia1.jpg (676x475, 24K)

Sorry to post twice on it. I forgot to tell about the price, its insanely cheap. I bought it for 130$

you need to use a pre-activated SIM, from their the ONLY CHOICES you have are either the Mi Mix 2 or the 2S, THAT'S IT

Who's this? And more?

can't remember her name, only other one I got
all i remember about what the user who posted the originals said was she was English

Attached: 1537117071908.webm (640x800, 1.33M)

is the moto e4 plus a good phone?
t.poor

belle delphine

At least now you can enjoy battery degradation at an even faster rate because of that wonderfully implemented wireless charging.

that's it, you're a good man user

About the same price as the mi a1, except that its shittier than the xiaomi

>LGV20
Bad idea.

xda-developers.com/nokia-8-bootloader-unlock/

Nokia, the Uncucking

I'm debating between just getting the samsung note 9 from verizon (im on vzw), or getting the pixel 2 xl from google and then rooting it.

But I really like that samsung still has an sd card slot, and the battery is really nice. I wish verizon wasnt a bitch to root.

Any recommendations for a < 5 inch smartphone that isn't apple?

What are some good, normalfag-friendly phones that are stupid proof and are around less than 500 eurobucks range? I care for my cousin and want to keep her from buying yet another 1k bucks iPhone and bankrupt herself again

it's not bad but for a couple more dollars you could do way better with a poco. round the hundred dollar mark you're looking for questionable quality desu. save your dosh.

BQ Aquaris X2 Pro, it's AndroidOne with a good chipset, should last her a whike and IIRC, is under 400€

USPS doesn't run on tax dollars and funds its own operationss.

Plebbit or the Android subreddit constantly complains of signal issues on T-Mobile when it comes to that phone.

Lads I'm retarded how do I make notifications appear at the top of the pocomeme? I can't see a single one even if when I then swipe I have lots unread

>Nokia, the Uncucking
Not really.
>Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by manufacturer's limited warranty provide by HMD Global.
>You could cause permanent/physical damage to your device.
>Your device may become unsafe to the point of causing you harm.
They're not really interested in helping developers. And remember - this is only available for 1 device at the moment.

what's a good phone around the 200 dollars mark with good battery? pls no xiaomi tho

S8+ or note 8?

Realme 2 pro

Note 9, don't be a poorfag and if you are just don't get a samsung

pls respond

XZ1 Compact / XZ2 Compact

Depends on ROM support though

upgrade, it's a big improvement over MIUI 9

I've been rocking one for months now. I think it's a good purchase, it does everything, it's durable AF, altho the one downside is the camera app freezes quite frequently (even the google apk install).

hows the nokia 3.1?

Rom support is shit on samsung devices. And I think only exynos devices are even possible to fuck with

looking for a new phone since my HTC ONE is fucked.

I wanna spend like 150-200€

Mostly for browsan and reading manga if possible

Has to be android

G-guys, convince me not to get an iPhone XS. Or find some killer argument for it. I am so uncertain.

I am pretty happy with my SE, and dislike the camera bump of the XS; but at the same time I wouldn't mind a larger screen and a bit more performance. Plus the whole water proof shit is nice. Another concern is the battery life, it doesn't seem any better and might be even bit worse while needing longer to charge. Price is absolutely irrelevant.

I am somewhat tempted but it feels more of a step sidewards, which still sounds tempting since I do like to play around with new stuff.

It such a large waste of money for the specs, get a One plus six or at least pocomeme

I need Continuety and iMessage, so Android is not really an option.

I just want a nice phone for roms and no botnet shit, price isn't an issue but don't want to just grab some chink shit when can afford whatever

6S is pretty nice imo

Chinkshit is what gets all the good development nowadays though. Support for Samsung ROMs is trash, even with Exynos. Did you know that all the Note8 ROMs that exist are just debloated TouchJizz? Yeah, that's what we're stuck with. And development for it has almost completely stopped.
Goddamnit.

Yeah I did see that about note 8 which sucks, that's why I'm here now trying to figure out what to really do. Pretty annoying

6S is basically an ugly SE with larger screen and worse battery though.
At least XS seems to have waterproof-ness + performance + more similar battery life. Besides the front isn't too bad with the meme notch.

If you have to be a complete fag and waste your money get at least the iNotch X, so you don't get jewed to oblivion.
Friendly reminder:
Don't give companies like apple your money. Your wallet votes, don't vote against your interests. All the trends you hate are a direct result of this voting.
Don't go for the lessee evil, it's still giving voting for those things

If you really want the XS then get it if you can afford it, seems like that's what you want

Recommend me a phone thats not the pocomeme, with oled screen and under $400

This is sadly true. Best buy is the pocomeme or any other chinese device (mi mix, vivo nex, mi 8,...)

Xs is a waste of money. It's the ultimate jew trickery. If they still get through with this they will stoo giving a single fuck about consumers, it's their last test, before fucking us over infinitely

Sorry, for shit grammar, phoneposting and not proofreading rn

So Mi mix 2S, OP6 or pocomeme for roms then?

>Don't give companies like apple your money.
Feel free to show a better alternative with access to their eco-system. The largest issue with their new stuff for me is the camera bump but it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. And sure, I could pass this year and probably the next but eventually there will be a time where upgrade is more of a "must-have" than the current "why the fuck not". And since I am in the mood for some new toy, maybe the time is now. Just not really convinced so far. While not seeing too many reasons against it either. It's obviously a stupid dilemma to have, but yeah.

That's the thing though, I am not really sold on it either since it wouldn't be a clear upgrade. Would be interesting to hear from some users, maybe I am missing something great or horrible about it.

There is nothing worthwhile in their ecosystem to warrant paying that much money. You're constantly jewed when plenty of better quality alternatives exist for half the price

How much of a downgrade is going from a zuk z2 to a redmi note 5?

Can't really convince all friends and business contacts to switch from iMessage. Besides, their Notes app has the perfect balance of simplicity and usability and synching stuff wirelessly over iTunes after getting used to it, is just too comfy. Couple hundreds/thousands bucks is nothing in contrast and pretty much not noticeable for me. Only the feeling of obviously being Jewed is annoying just not THAT much compared to wasting time finding new workflows.

Just bought a refurbished S7 on ebay for 200. what essentials do I need on my brand new phone

Lol they just text you, all through the same app the colour just changes?

That's not how it works.

Looking for phone with
>SD card slot
>Jack
>under 300$
>possibly without notch

Any suggestions?

Well, how does it work then? Aren't there hundreds of other online messaging apps?

Dem trips.

And sure there are but having some signal meme or whatever the currently popular thing is, is kinda worthless if the other side doesn't use it. iMessage is closer to Skype when it comes to functionality and multi-platform appeal, just it actually works well.

Stable release of Oreo 8.1 for Moto G5 when?

> the ecosystem argument
I am sorry that I tried helping you. You better go by the iPhone Xs Max 512gb, it's the best phone with the best ecosystem. And then when you realize that the applel ecosystem is utter shit, compared to even windows (not even talking about linux/android), you then may buy your applel ecosystem iNoose to ihang yourself.

Nah, I just remembered it has a fucking glass back. Can't be assed cleaning it 24/7. Jesus, Applel is really turning to shit. Feels bad, man.

Realme 2 Pro? global version if you can get your hands on it

I will never understand americans. They use shit like iMessage, instead of using an app that just werks on all and every device no matter what platform the participants are using.

And that's pretty much why the applel ecosystem is so shit. It works with other apple products, but not outstandingly good, but the moment you interact outside your walled ecosystem shit hits the fan and you realize how shit such walled ecosystems really are
>i dont want a wall afound USA
racist drumpf, literally hitler
>oh apple makes an ecosystem that's autistically shielded from everything not an applel product and charging premium for it
Best ecosystem, no alternatives

Is there a phone screen protector which actually protects?

Ive tried glass ones and I feel like they dont absorb energy and it goes right through and smashes the screen.

Plastic ones arent *too* bad. I want one that actually provides protection. Glass ones make some phone covers not fit, too. Fucking annoying.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 16K)

I haven't had an iPhone for a while, it used to be imessage was sent via data and had a blue bubble, text messages where green and sent via text data, this was all through the messaging app

>each major carrier gets their own version of the flagship device, all of them having similar specs but varying in features
This was so cool thinking back on it. My first smartphone ever was the T-Mobile variant and I'd be on XDA every day looking for new ROMs to flash like MIUI and Cyanogen

Attached: the four horsemen of the touchpocalypse.jpg (1200x598, 402K)

you have to understand that screen protectors are meant more for scratch resistance than anything else. you need to train yourself to not be a dumb fuck dropping your phone all over the place.

It's pretty popular here in yuroop too.

>It works with other apple products, but not outstandingly good
It actually works great inside, there is nothing that really even compares. You don't have to waste a seconding thinking about how to synch everything perfectly or move from device to device using the same software, and obviously there are nice memes like continuety camera and the watch unlock, that aren't a big deal in themselves but fit very nice.

At least half of the blame goes to the "competitors", especially MS who had all the fucking means and infrastructure to offer an alternative but couldn't even do a messaging app or a media player.

Obviously the downside is that you're locked it but until anyone offers better alternatives it's irrelevant and if the alternatives come, they will be multi-platform.

But it's a lot more than just an sms replacement, it's way closer to skype when it comes to functionality. Only that it doesn't get worse and worse with every update.

ok fair enough.

I forget that part

Should just get an actual messaging app rather then relying on apples proprietary software

Redmi Note 5

Xiaomi Mi8

Redmi Note 5

Is the Redmeme note 5 still the best phone under 200 USD?

I may buy a new phone soon.

One that is bought/going to be bought by a spyware company or rather one that rapes your battery life and lacks 90% of the functionality?

Yes

why most of flagship models lack SD card slot while most of cheaper ones have it? it's not like it's taking too much space, since there usually is enough place for second SIM card

similar thing with audiojacks

what the fuck is wrong with this industry

Should I get a Nokia One phone? Week it get Pie support since its also part of the Android One project?

Attached: 1537254392396.gif (240x256, 1.51M)