Why does it seem like most software engineers use macbooks as their daily driver...

Why does it seem like most software engineers use macbooks as their daily driver? I would have thought most developers would not prefer using os x unless they need to use swift for ios development?

Attached: img-654d0c0047e8b74d9fb10390ae7c4191-c.jpg (500x352, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/mark-zuckerberg-new-years-resolutions-list-2018-1
discussions.apple.com/thread/4937813
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Comfy full metal body

Software engineers actually work and so does OSX. When you’re employed you don’t have time to fuck around with loonix.

Because engineering is all about compromises

By compromising and using OS and hardware that "just works" they reclaim time to focus on their engineering and creating stuff which is what really matters

I would use my workstation thinkpad. Don't want to blend in with the sheep.

True only in the US.

Everywhere else it's a mix of thinkpads, dell, and apple laptops too.

> Why does it seem like most software engineers use macbooks as their daily driver?
Because Apple makes the best computers

> I would have thought most developers would not prefer using os x unless they need to use swift for ios development?
Because you read too much shit online from NEETs who pretend to be programmers, and don't talk with real programers.

Also HP laptops

But you are not a programmer.

>would not prefer using os x
Why? It's a unix system.

Because software engineers are well paid and can afford a professionally build graphical UNIX workstations instead of the cheaply build, awful graphical userspace of GNU/Linux

Attached: unix-an-open-group-standard.png (1764x742, 155K)

Andrew S. Tannenbaum

Uses a Mac.

Attached: Captura de ecrã 2018-09-29, às 10.29.25.png (2350x1310, 2.32M)

yeah this
i learned my shit on sun sgi dec and all sorts of other unix tomfoolery in the 90s and now i use a fagmobile mac laptop for almost everything. i like it because its small and kawaii and kinda unbreakable, my little piece of corporate commercial califagotry is like 6 years old and still pretty awesome.

Soup Jow Forums, I'm an unironic paid Apple shill.
You might recognize our agency's threads like:
>y dont u own a mac r u poor? lol
>post your apple products
>where my (apple product) bros at?
>WHO HYPE FOR (apple product/event)?
>why does (celebrity or notable people) use (apple product) i'm confused, pls shill for me!
>lol green bubbles
>"Perfection" (apple product photo)
>macbooks are overpriced, ok show me a laptop that... pasta
>geekbench circlejerking threads
>look! this pro-apple blog says good things about (apple product)! please click it!
>it just werks (apple product photo)
>i used to use non-apple products but then i tired apple products and never looked back!
>rotate threads and topics regularly to avoid being caught by mods as "flooding"

We focus primarily on tech blogs and the like with hacked Disqus accounts that we can buy for like 1000/$50 on the dark web to get a real post history and identity. Me, I got Jow Forums with a few other guys.

>pretend to need to (X), recommend Apple products to ourselves
>enter non-Apple thread and convince people to consider Apple
>get shekels

>make thread but it devolves into Apple getting shit on
>no shekels

When we can't get any good shilling going, we'll just crap on the competition, THEN try to slip in a suggestion to try Apple products.
>OMG i own this HP/MS/Samsung/LG product and it SUCKS
>coshill comes in the thread, plugs (Apple product)
>lololol loonix has no gaymes, windows master race!
>lololol wangblows sux, linux master race!
>step in after 100 posts and make up story about how great (Apple product) is

Mostly a side job and I make $100 every month or so for no effort, but I'm quitting because they bullshitted me once on a check, plus I'm graduating so now I'm outing them.
is my old coworker

Attached: 1527345404036.webm (878x670, 1.91M)

POO

Attached: 1529307279155.jpg (643x960, 256K)

>Why does it seem like
Propaganda. Now GTFO, filthy shill.

I have literally never seen Applels in EU used for development. They only buy them for the brainlets of HR.

Someone kill that sucker, he is the creator of the hardware Intel ME backdoor that fucks us ALL in the ass.

We need signals.
Nerds need to learn a lesson that their typing of harmful code has harsh consequences in the real world.

Management thinks apple is high end and windows laptop are low end and cheap.

My work computer is a mac pro trash can. i use ubuntu vm inside just to do anything productive

IT clowns only support mac or windows usually, internal IT is usually just a bunch of clowns or people that dont really care

Attached: 31576782_946168102211622_8645263056491773952_o.jpg (1080x1080, 91K)

>use windows
>programming kinda sucks on it, it's not the best but you can get by, but if you use things like Ruby or Python you can run into issues with libraries
>Pretty much all hardware and software works

>use Linux
>programming is good, but horrible to configure and there's a lack of software that programmers often use
>hardware issues, no software lmao

>macbook is like Linux, but with software ("just open up this sketch file, bro!")
>just works hardware wise because you have no option anyway
>first class support for everything, people just ASSUME you use a mac in their docs 9/10 times, then if not a mac you use windows...then if you use linux..Eh, you'll figure it out..

They don't want to use Window 10.

When you can't convince the company to let you use whatever, it's easier to pick the one with the least resistance. OS X may be kind of shit but it's better than trying to develop on Windows.

They don't. We unironically have Thinkpads for my entire Europoor company, but they do come eith Windows for management and software engineering. We've been booming by the way.

I'd really like a Macbook though

Because a software engineer doesn't bother with waifus and shit. Sadly as is macbooks are the most reliable and comfortable machines to work on and it looks good in pictures.

Also osx is comfy for type work.

And before I get called a shill, I use windows at home, and work with a little loonix on the side when I am bored or when I want my dac to just work.

They don't have the time to deal with dog shit like Windows. With macOS at least you get a Unix environment to work with, it's way comfier and refined and it's not like the cost matters to software engineers on 100k+ a year.

UK here and work for an electronics company, everything is HP, from the spectrum analysers to the computers

I would rather use Linux on a macbook and a virtualbox for any other apps or programs that will only work with os x. If you are just a UI or visual designer or manager that needs to do a lot of design work then a macbook is fine.

Typical autistic retard response when challenged with adversity he cannot overcome.

HURR DURRR, NO IT'S NOT

HURR DURRR, MACS SUCK

HURR DURRR, IT'S COOL THAT'S UNIX, BUT MAC'S SUCK, I CAN'T ACCEPT THAT THE HARDWARE IS EXCELLENT.

1. In Europe for example, there is a mixture of computers that are being used. In Europoor countries Macbooks aren't used that much

2. You think this because you see some """programmers""" that use mbs, but most probably only do some webdev or are some script kiddies. As a matter of fact, Zuckenberg himself doesn't really code that much lately, and he went through a period when he barely coded.

businessinsider.com/mark-zuckerberg-new-years-resolutions-list-2018-1
> 2012: Code daily.

3. You're assuming that having a mb means running macOS, but that's not true. In the last years a saw a lot of people using Linux on their mb, and sadly even someone who used Winshit on his mb.

Attached: huh.jpg (367x446, 41K)

>>programming is good, but horrible to configure and there's a lack of software that programmers often use
>>hardware issues, no software lmao

go kill yourself you retarded piece of crap

The only place that matters for software development is the US. Even in the US almost all of the interesting work is done in Silicon Valley, Austin and New York. If you don't work for a company in one of those locations you're almost definitely subpar and probably working on mind numbingly boring business applications in Java or C#.

MacTards over Winblows
>Compilers like GCC and Clang available.
>Unix command line.
>SSH.
>Still has normie Office software so I can talk to my boss.

softwarelet identified

brb just opening up photoshop to upset you, maybe i'll open up some working graphics drivers while i'm at it

> The only place that matters for software development is the US.
Do you realize that Intel, Wind River, Oracle and many other companies are multinational, therefore you can work for them in a lot of cities from different countries, right?
Stop thinking that US is the only place on earth that matters user.

I was Photoshop dependent actually, and one of the reasons I couldn't let go of Winshit was that I needed Photoshop pretty often.
Then I discovered something named GIMP, that works just fine, and provides almost all the Photoshop functionalities.
If you think to comeback to me with the fact that GIMP doesn't provide all the functionalities think that this thread is about why Software Engineers use mb, and for a Software Engineer I think what GIMP has to offer is more enough.

Attached: stfu.png (520x512, 51K)

but windows has everything you mentioned

They have offices in different countries but all the important software development work is done in the US. It's like Google. You can technically work for Google and live outside the US but you'll basically be doing help desk type trash work with no possibility for advancement until you come to Mountain View.

more than enough***

Outside of C#, 99.9% of library authors don't give a shit if their libraries work on Windows.

This, also battery life.

Nah, it's pretty common in Norway too.

You are partially true, I mean more interesting stuff happens in California, but this doesn't mean that outside of it there is only help desk.
At Wind River, in my country, and they actually work in production there for some car operating systems, and also do Bug-Tracking for some really low-level stuff. (bugs that come from US, of course:))))

If you think you actually have even 1/10th of the features photoshop or sketch has using GIMP you are fucking deluded, GIMP is straight trash. Worse than online solutions like figma.

1. Have you tried GIMP 2.10, in the first place?
2. We are just going to pretend that you haven't read, or you are too retarded to understand this:
> If you think to comeback to me with the fact that GIMP doesn't provide all the functionalities think that this thread is about why Software Engineers use mb, and for a Software Engineer I think what GIMP has to offer is more enough.

>web frontend
>engineering
lel

This.

>3. You're assuming that having a mb means running macOS, but that's not true. In the last years a saw a lot of people using Linux on their mb
Macbooks used to be the most comfy laptop hardware.
When I bought one with a high-res screen, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD a couple of years ago, I coudn't get a similarly specced laptop from another vendor that supported a unix-type OS and wasn't huge. Not to mention the top tier trackpad.
Lately Apple is driving devs away with shitty keyboards, the touch bar, and inability to run Linux on their newest machines.
Lenovo has caught up with the X1 Extreme / P1.

> Company purchases laptops for employees.
Might as well go with the most expensive option.

I couldn't agree more with you.
I also used to like mbs, and considered them comfy af, until 2016 (I think that was the year) when they removed almost all the ports, and added the shitty keyboard.

lets you interact with linux environments more easily than a windows machine without actually having to use linux

Attached: 1237042332106.jpg (600x600, 182K)

This, our entire development team works with XPS 15s, only the management guys get Macbooks.
And I mean, it does make sense, all of our target environments for our developments are windows.

Because Apple doesn't release a way to install macOS on non-macs. So if you're a developer who needs to test whatever you're using on Windows and Mac (and sometimes on Linux), you'll need a mac, because no company will use a hackintosh.

Report commercial advertisement threads.

>> Company purchases laptops for employees.
>Might as well go with the most expensive option.
This.

I have tried latest gimp builds and it's still fucking shit.

>The only place that matters for software development is the US
You mean the only place to produce so many great spying bloatwares?

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Attached: macshills.jpg (4500x3000, 1.6M)

I work in vulnerability management.

No one here uses Mac simply because of the security issues.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

NOPE

macOS is still the most secure OS and that's what mist people in the business do have in fact.

Sup Jow Forums music producers, like this nibba that works for top artists like Taylor Swift te all (don't give me shit whether you like them or not) works with a MacBook Pro and Apple's Logic Pro X.

It is just because of UNIX now?

Attached: image.jpg (1536x1028, 978K)

Or the bugs aren't documented like with linux

You should get fired for shilling that's this low effort.

I'm a consultant and use a MBP because I can get a keyboard layout in the language that I want and can get it serviced easily no matter where I travel.

Yeah man, other OS's don't have languages.

Microsoft is literally ground zero for poos

I worked at a tech company with about 45 developers. Apart from 2 or 3 people, we all used MacBooks.

Your sample size is probably limited to your mother's basement.

Ah yes, the OS where pressing a button made you get root permissions is the most secure of all.

if all you are doing is typing text (coding, facebook, word processing) I guess it's all you need, plus they don't have to worry about viruses I guess

All the bugs are all well documented, Apple files CVS for all bugs they fix.

>if all you are doing is typing text (coding, facebook, word processing) I guess it's all you need
What laptop DOESN'T serve that purpose?
>plus they don't have to worry about viruses I guess
You guess wrong.

>least targeted equals most secure
No.

Sure they are:
discussions.apple.com/thread/4937813
I've seen this happen since 2016, it has never been fixed. Security on macOS is a joke, which is obvious since a bug where pressing a button made you root made it into a stable release.

A bug no-one discovered for decades.

It's because everyone starts small and apple offers easy automagical entry level software, then they just stick with what they know, which isn't all bad, actually, but for some things you just need hardware apple doesn't offer.

>Shit doesn't work
>Come at me you faggot ass genius bar drop out, fix it, replace it, I don't give a fuck, but if this shit isn't up and running by the time I leave your fucking store my entire fucking office will move on to Linux machines from Dell, VERSTEHAN?
>S-sorry, sir, here's your complimentary hand job and replacement with all your back ups already pre-loaded
>Good, I don't have to cave your skull in

That's why they use Apple.

>REEEE it's secure
>gets utterly BTFO with proof otherwise
>REEEE doesn't count

does your agency have some kind of agreement with Jow Forums or otherwise managed to get moderation/janitor privileges on Jow Forums?

just curious because it wouldn't be very hard to stop all the constant shilling going on

*published

They probably pay to advertise. See

>Screenshot a bunch of windows/linux threads
>Put them in a nice collage
>write: "There are no Windows/Linux shills on Jow Forums"

See, i can do it too.. Nobody fucking cares what you use, now go back to your mancave and put your programming socks on

Yes, there are Windows shills as well. Never said otherwise.
>Linux shill
Yes, user, people get paid to shill free software, you're a genius. Sorry you got outed and aren't getting paid.

because all they do is mess around in visual studio code making stupid webapps

But if you use software and hardware that "just works" you don't encounter the glitches and problems that end users may encounter, and then it's interpreted as shitty code.

>Someone kill that sucker, he is the creator of the hardware Intel ME backdoor that fucks us ALL in the ass.
>We need signals.
>Nerds need to learn a lesson that their typing of harmful code has harsh consequences in the real world.
nom dumbfuck he just wrote MINIX. As the licencse he used had no copyleft intel was free to use it for their ME

Fyi, even on the conference specifically dedicated to all things GNU/Linux in Europe it's 40:40 macs vs thinkpads, and 20% something else.
Everywhere else it's up to 90% macbooks, to the point where IT companies just give every new employee latest MBP as the working machine, without even considering or thinking of other options.

Comes with bash shell, integrates with manager's Iphone and subsidized.

Though my experience has been it's actually shit to work on, gets too hot to sit on lap, buggy as fuck GUI, slow start up, no ability to configure anything, applications hang and crash for no reason. Literally 20% of my day is spent fighting it or our company's VPN. At home, developing private projects on 201x with Lubuntu: everything works great, make huge productive leaps every hour, comfy and customizable, nothing crashes, automate everything to shortcut keys, all deps work out of box and never gets hot. Ask coworkers about problems with OSX their reply is: "Lol, that's just how computers are."

Attached: cute_hex.jpg (474x516, 28K)

The usual bullshit from Apple haters.

because they can call support hotline if shti wont work

Is your Lubuntu dual boot or separate machine? I've had similar experiences with MacOS. Worse than Windows.

>REEEE stop having different experiences from me!
Tough titties, shill. I probably use macs more than you and they completely suck at trivial things. Network backups with Time Machine are a joke, at my company we have a 50% chance of it failing while connected by ethernet. Meanwhile File History on Windows has never ever had a problem in over a year.