Implying You Fags Even Program

Why is functional programing so popular in academia but almost nonexistent in the corporate world?

Attached: DcA1WCzVQAABmH2.jpg (768x1024, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because of the nature of functional programming and similar paradigms. You can get very theoretical and it's close to certain other disciplines like prolog and logic

because it looks like math but its useless

While corporate just want to shit done well for as cheap as possible while as fast as possible

Because in the corporate world your other coworkers are Pajeets who wouldn't be able to understand functional programming.

it exists in the real world
the switch to a pure functional language is too much for most legacy code bases.
so they backport the "fun" parts but they disregard the "save" ones.
e.g. python now knows `map` and `filter`
java implemented the whole `stream` class which does the same
both got lambdas backported
they could try to backport Monads but e.g. javas type system is not powerful enough to derive the right types from OOP objects.

so it is popular in academia because it is way nicer and safer

and the pajeets have to keep up with the new java versions.

everybody gets FP features

Attached: 1445961442579.jpg (560x371, 36K)

because in real world you need object oriented programming and GUIs and shit
functional languages don't offer that in the same quality

Because it has a CoC

javascript is a functional programming language and it is also the most popular programming language in the world

Your FP is for pajeets who think that they're better than other pajeets. Choice of a programming language is a code monkey problem, not an engineering or scientific problem.

It's not particularly popular in academia either. On the CS side, they care about correctness and performance, and it's more difficult to reason about FP's performance characteristics. And on the math side, they like that it uses the word 'function' correctly, but actually programming isn't particularly popular, so whatevs.

Because capitalism primarily values cheap and replaceable drone workers. Java and Go wouldn't exist otherwise.

>it's more difficult to reason about FP's performance characteristics

Only if the language is lazy and Haskell is the only popular FP language that is lazy. Reasoning about the performance of strict FP languages is very straightforward.

winner

>this is why middleware is so prevalent. because once people started to understand software TCO it really is cheaper and you have somebody to threaten to not pay if stuff goes wrong. This is far more effective than demanding generalist employees fix something.

I think it has to do with a couple of things.

OO is better at black box encapsulation of resources and there is historical inertia in the way of porting common libs used in enterprise software.

But multiparadigm is becoming dominant.

Even in java 8 you can use iterative mapping/filtering etc logic with lamdhas, and stuff like Kotlin are even better.

Corporate is typically closed-source, which means that the job is to get it working and not make it good.
That's why Indian code slaves are so popular now. Just hire a trillion of them to make your program interface for less than you paid for breakfast and call it a day.

It's mathematically beautiful, but in real work, it needs so many side effects that parts of a person are no longer purely functional, so the functionality zealots go mad and leave.

yes bb poo in my loo4

you can smell the poo through the jpg

Prolog isn't functional though IIRC

What's this creature?

It is extremely logically based though, so it does see use in academia and natural language processing.

/underrated post

Because it's great for proofs but shit for large projects made by teams of developers.

Functional programming is used in academia because its perfect for demonstrating various concepts in computational theory. I believe functional programming is also used a lot in computer science research, its not popular in the industry becuase I think most programmers find it less intuitive for app development than oop

Because companies cannot live under a logics shelter. They must pay taxes and be sublime to the state's line of thoughts.

I have thing for Indian girls... but have none in area.. what are they like irl?

the corporate world is filled with the most retarded scum of the earth, corporate culture is anti-intellectual as fuck
i don't even know any functional programming languages, nor am i defending functional programming as a bastion of intellectualism
literally fucking everyone knows this about corporate power structures, and if you don't, you're probably dumb

The only one in my high school class was an enormous bitch. She was ugly and like 4'8", but her family was rich so she always had all this expensive shit. She dated a friend of mine and was always bitching how he didn't buy her stuff or take her out enough even though she was way richer than him.

Redpilled and based

Are there any programming languages not for pajeets? It seems that according to Jow Forums that anyone who programs is a pajeet

The holy prophet Terry Davis once said "In academia, if it's good you publish it. In industry, if it's good you keep it secret"

Ray Stanz in Ghostbusters said "You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."

Point being you are comparing apples to oranges

Because pajeets suck at it.

Most programmers are too incompetent to maintain a large scale functional programming codebase, because they never seriously learned or practiced it and also because half of them can only program in a serious manner in Java or Javascript. That said there are plenty of corporate use cases of (at least partly) functional programming language, such as scala, F#, haskell (haxl) etc.

Java, C# and Python are the only truly Pajeet languages. All extremely popular and dumbed down. With a little more popularity Go could become the ultimate Pajeet language.

Most Pajeets hate Lisps.

/underrated

Nigger, do you even know what FP is? JS is an imperative language with FP tacked onto it.

Why on earth would you willingly date a poo?

Because you want to get things done in a timely manner with solutions that preferably are easy to understand, modify and improve over time.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument

You don't use a research tool for every problem.

Attached: 920x920.jpg (920x632, 89K)

I'd bang her

would tip my hot dog in curry box if you know what I mean

Attached: molly-bennet.gif (928x244, 358K)

indians are materalistic as fuck. they usually have a spicey diet so they smell.