/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1538187407397.png (450x399, 319K)

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.com/article/18/9/handy-bash-aliases
dragonflybsd.org/
lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft/
amazon.com/GNU-Coreutils-Core-utilities/dp/9888381407
gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/
packages.debian.org/search?keywords=vulkan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install dragonflyBSD

No thanks.

why not?

Is there a way to copy files in a way that preserves the original modification dates?

Attached: 1532353803901.png (466x470, 471K)

Probably

Protup: if you're new to this, install your shit sober

Attached: Mobile-Phone-Strap-Charms-Marshmallow-Key-Chain-eric-10cm-Cute-Kawaii-Squishy-Buns-Bread-Phone-Squis (800x800, 299K)

Are these optimal ffmpeg settings for converting old shit so it doesn't take up 10x the space? I've got a 1.7gb video down to 100mb like this. But should I go with different, more compatible a/v formats?

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (mpeg4 (native) -> hevc (libx265))
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (mp3 (mp3float) -> opus (libopus))

Look at this shit. What the fuck is wrong with these people? How is it even possible to hold all this retardation? Don't they feel any shame? What the fuck! The current state of "Open Source", the absolute state of Red Hat.
opensource.com/article/18/9/handy-bash-aliases

Attached: 1536203334732.png (282x295, 197K)

if i was going to cuck to trannies and give up lunox i would go for dfbsd 100%

kek

>opensource.com
Disgusting.

Attached: 1538301824683.png (720x1062, 177K)

What makes dragonfly special, compared to OpenBSD?

developed with performance in mind instead of security.
the HAMMER file system
virtual kernels
devs/community aren't concerned with legacy compatibility
dragonflybsd.org/

cp -a

>opensource.com

Attached: 2018-09-30_17-47-24.png (924x433, 45K)

how the hell can xfwm use barely 12 MiB while a fucking xfce panel is 14 MiB

because xfce panel has icon decorators and xfwm is just code?

how is someone on shitdows supposed to verify the checksum file and checksum.gpg signature with the public ubuntu signing key?

do i have to use a ubuntu terminal to get the key?
this is annoying, why don't they just put it directly on their website like others do?

Getting a permission denied error trying to change chromium's download location to another, ntfs drive.
Firefox changed the save location without issues.
I've tried chown and chmod but it still persists.
Is this a chromium bug?

Linux mint 19 xfce freezes 1-10 mins after booting up. I did the following but it didn't help

> sudo rm -r /tmp/*
> sudo rm -r /home/.cache/*

Why no one told me about this?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-30 15-31-56 [www.imagesplitter.net]-0-1.jpg (1920x1080, 202K)

Please help I'm retarded
I want to raid 0 my os drive
Ubuntu minimal has a raid option during installation
Manjaro does not
I've read the arch wiki but it seems all the instructions assume you already have an os installed and want to raid other drives
I want to raid during install
How the fuck do I do it cause I miss the aur

>ntfs drive.
Do you have permission options enabled in fstab?

A little bit unrelated, but is there such thing as a Pi off-brand version with a crap ton of SATA ports?
I was doing a little searching and most people are saying there's no way for a GPIO attachment to do that.
Couldn't really find anything with terms like "sata pi" or "NAS pi" - it just led me to people saying "just use a powered enclosure!"
Yeah, sure. Over USB. No thanks

The Helios4 has 4 SATA 3.0 ports

Agh. Well, at that pricepoint, I may as well get a motherboard and the components and rig it up myself.
Oh well, thanks for the link though, I appreciate it. It does look like a really easy solution for a *small* HMS either way, but, I've got like 12 drives I'd like to hook up...

I was thinking about trying Linux. Is this CoC stuff going to affect me at all or is it just some political shit?

Just some political shit, but if the kernel starts getting fucked, know that many people have access to the kernel source BEFORE this CoC bullshit and will probably share it, and improve upon it.

tl;dr you're not fucked it's just people being people again

These are last logs before freezing

>Systemd[879]: Started Virtual filesystem metadata service
>\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00...

>Systemd - timesyncd [598] Synchronized to time server 91.
>\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00...

>ntpd[825]: solicting pool server

Speaking of WINE and WoW64 support, how many actual applications that you run into consisted of 32-bit installer and 64-bit program? Are they common really, or should I just install separate 64 and 32 WINEs and stop worrying about WoW?

>we use the term "Linux" to refer to...
>...but also the set of programs, tools, and services that are typically bundled together with the Linux kernel

>Android, for example, uses a Linux kernel but relies very little on GNU tools.
wow.
and I'm not that aggressive when it comes to saying GNU/Linux but holy fuck this is just downright anti free software.

just install arch linux and read the wiki on root on raid

check out Lutris
lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft/

I mean WindowsOnWindows64, or "WoW64" subsystem

I fell for the meme and installed gentoo a few weeks ago. This is my first time with a linux system. Almost everything is working but I still have a few issues:
- I tried to connect to bluetooth speakers with bluetothctl but it fail to connect (pairing is fine). The error message is "Device is busy"...?
- When I mount an external HDD with ntfs filesystem using ntfs3g, some files cannot be accessed (even when I'm root). If i try to open or move it, I get the error message "ntfs_attr_pread error: Permission denied".

Are there any dupe checkers for video? Not just filename or metadata but the actual content of the video?

so i have grub2
And Grub Customizer
And one of the options of my Grub menu is to boot windows boot manager
which handles booting windows
two things
1: Grub Customizer works like shit and some entries i cant delete like i have 2 entries for Android when i only want one, even editing the files directly i cant fucking get rid of one
2: if i re-install any windows or use EasyBCD in any windows, it fucking destroys my grub totally
I've heard boot-repair can sort shit out, like auto detect windows and remove duplicate entries, but even building it from source it wont run
i only use windows boot manager because booting them directly from grub, or trying, they just fuck up, and auto detect from grub is shit and lists nonsense versions i dont have installed of operating systems

Attached: 132168911222.jpg (512x288, 16K)

fdupes movies/

Ive tried fdupes and rmlint but they dont match many dupes, mostly videos.

nice blogpost, subscribed

btw did you know you can add chainload grub2 by adding an entry for it using EasyBCD? Now you know.

>install windows
>install linux
>os-prober
>grub
Done

but i want it so that i can have entries directly to windows, and if one fails, re-install it or repair it from linux
not to mention all my other operating systems
i need so many because of various work and testing that can only proceed if i have the proper os
but im stuck now using gub AND windows boot manager because prober only detects windows boot manager and then garbage thats un-bootable
i do know faggot, and by the way being rude, spouting kneejerk shit, im going to ignore than and get back on track, any time i use easybcd and save an entry to grub, it just not only fails to boot grub, but destroys it and the system defaults to going back directly to windows boot manager

The fuck are you even talking about???
Do what i just told you and you're fucking done.
>multiple blah blahs
VM is your friend. You dont need more then one linux distro as they all have the same software. If you need the most recent of everything consider using arch as it is updated to the latest environments.

None that you can easily use, no.

Almost all that shit goes straight from academic work that only really results in some scientific paper to commercial products since most of academia isn't required to publish open source and also not interested.

oh wow, it's on the AUR.
now i can finally drop that POS, deadbeef.

Its just foobar using wine, nothing new the past decade.

Stupid question, but could I install Slackware without LILO? I already have GRUB on my MBR.

Attached: 0058937546.png (258x243, 87K)

yeah, how unfortunate, have an audio bug that's really annoying to fix and workaraound.
oh well.

This might be a wierd question, but if i run urxvt and ssh into a headless computer that isnt running xorg and i open something like ranger in the ssh session, will the image previews still show in ranger the same way they would on the native computer?

I uninstalled these two apps while they were installing after the first boot.

I restarted and now they are trying to reinstall.

I only run Windows in a VM because of work, and this kind of shit a small reason of why I will never go back.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-29 23-08-06.png (355x262, 12K)

I also BSOD'd Windows 10 LTSB N recently which is supposed to be an *incredibly* stable version of 10 meant for businesses.

businesses don't buy consumer grade ricer shit hardware though

You're right, they buy cheap chink shit in bulk or use GNUL as they're supposed to.

No Metro shit is included in LTSB, you liar.
BSOD is not always a mistake of Windoze itself, also.

i probably shouldn't have added "also", i'm not the guy i responded to.

>try to install debian in virtualbox
>pic related on reboot after installing
explain

Attached: wtf.png (720x450, 27K)

looks like spectre/meltdown mitigation is conflicting with the virtual CPU. What are you settings (cpu, cores, pae enabled, virt backend)?

I've got a 2700X

Attached: debian.png (1272x630, 47K)

You have virtualization (amd-v) disabled. Go to BIOS/UEFI and enable it.

is there a good ebook on GANOO coreutils and userland tools?

do I have to? I thought I could at least run a 32 bit OS in vb without enabling anything in bios.
I don't like rebooting my computer

You don't have to, but the problem with persist.

can I disable the spectre/meltdown mitigation somehow?

no, they are integrated deep in the code.
Older kernel without them might work or qemu.
Or you can stop being a lil bitch and fucking reboot already.

>do I have to?
why would you not want to enable features of your processor?

so it'll work if I dig up an old debian ISO and reinstall?

>I don't like rebooting my computer
the real question is: why is there an option to enable it? why not just have it enabled permanently?

amazon.com/GNU-Coreutils-Core-utilities/dp/9888381407
link is only for reference. Don't buy from amazon, enemy of freedom.

gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/

>why not just have it enabled permanently?
this is the Friendly GNU/Linux thread, isn't it? do you not want choice?
I'm sure there's a use case where old software won't play nicely with the features.

any free as in freedom alternatives? I know the man pages exist but I want something to learn in a structured way that's why I asked. am stuck on a long flight for the day that's why i need ebooks

>I'm sure there's a use case where old software won't play nicely with the features.
or letting a client/employee access to those features would be a security risk.

yeah, like all those supercomputers

>don't like rebooting my computer
You're being deliberately obtuse. Stop fucking trying to run a type 2 hypervisor without VT-x/AMD-V enabled. If you aren't sure what these do, google them. You're here to ask a question and get reasonable help, not coerce people into spoonfeeding you with hacky "workarounds" just because you're too lazy to reboot once.

>_buntu
Ignored.

Why gtk3 programs look like shit on plasma? Is it really that hard to integrate toolkits?

>kde
Gross.

PREACH, GIRRRRRL.

>Is it really that hard to integrate toolkits?
yes? if KDE doesn't have what you want then just use GNOME like a big boy

this is a gnu/forum. we don't like your kind around here. now beat it kid

GNOME is a fucking toy desktop environment. It looks like it belongs on a tablet. GNOME isn't for big boys.

>kid
>not koon
2/10

meant for

and yet you want to use their well developed applications in your "real" DE?

Real men use gtk2, gtk3 is uneeded bloat

how to install vulkan in debian

what is the easiest way to get adding ppa repositories working
i have the command and script, but its just not working, or the repositories are offline i guess
is there an easier way to run scripts, right click, double click, easier way to assign command and script, some program
kali debian type flavor btw
how can i get easy full control of grub and properly enter bootchains for windows, wont boot them via entry
and biggest of all
im getting HDD speeds from brand new SSD, am i missing something?

ITT talentless hacks

in linux kali i noticed my spanned two drive storage cant be found/mounted right

hes pointing at us

damn....................

packages.debian.org/search?keywords=vulkan

real men don't have a DE

I dont use a de, i use fluxbox, but qt is bloated garbage and i literally dont have any qt programs on my system

using lvm or mdadm or btrfs or what?
you might need a kernel module

using mdadm

who /suckless/ here

Kindly fuck off, sucksmore retards.

ls /dev/md* ?
mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf ?

can a failing storage drive cause slow boot time or slowness in general?
is there any tool to make sure its failing, maybe even make it healthy with repair tool?
i noticed since i dual boot, suddenly theres a small new drive in my windows installs
called F
and when booting win10 LTSB, it takes FOREVER and at the very end i see "repairing F drive" right under the blue windows flag
did linux fuck my windows boot time somehow?