Start programming

>start programming
>realize it’s not as fun as my vidya
>go back to vidya

Am I doing something wrong or is programming generally not as fun as video games?

Attached: DA744DBD-1217-4D96-8C9B-B292FCB7D829.gif (320x240, 2.64M)

Other urls found in this thread:

paulgraham.com/avg.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no you're not wrong. Programming is interesting, but not as fun as actual hobbies like music or video games. l33t h4ckers will say otherwise, though.

Programming isn't fun it's repetitive. If you want fun then become a sysadmin. Script all your work and spend the day shitposting on 4hcan.

Pretty much this, but I find video games boring as fuck

>work
>realize it's not as fun as masturbating
>go back to masturbating

Is there any way to make money doing something fun? Oh and without having to deal with people.

i take back saying "real" hobbies. that was rude. I know some people do have it as a hobby, but they're a minority.

Most video games are fucking boring though. I can count on one hand what games I could legitimately play for more than an hour, and even then I still find myself getting bored. How grown fucking men are able to play video games all day long is beyond me, especially if they're poorfags or live with their parents and don't have their shit together.

How do you drive a racecar without building it, first?

No. You will have to deal with people in every job

I think problem solving is fun, whether that be through means of circuit design or writing a program. It's all subjective, man, find what you like to do.

That literally does not exist unless you win the lottery

>vidya
>fun

Proprietary video games are harmful software and should not be played. Please consider only having fun in a responsible manner.

What's the alternative to vidya? Getting married and regretting you ever did so?

I have the exact opposite problem. Every game I play I think, "I could do this better" and I go back to programming. Sadly, as of yet, I haven't done it better.

Which games are those, user?

I always found tv almost unwatchable after like 15, now I can’t understand how people watch vs. video games.
>unless you win the lottery

My thoughts lately.

Honest question, how hard is this field to get into with no relevant degree or work experience? Will i get the job if i show them i can install gentoo?

Real hobbies

I don't find games interesting, and I don't find programming interesting either.

What I do find interesting, is finding a problem and trying to solve it.

Programming is a tool. If you don't have a problem to solve, then just go back to being a loser N33T, while the rest of us earn $$$$$$

Meant for

Games are raw fun.
Programming is meta fun.

Games are like casual sex with random people.
Programming is like finding the love of your life and raising kids and dying at a ripe old age with them and their grandkids all around you: painful and orthogonal to anything resembling direct joy, but fulfilling in a different sort of way than fooling around could ever be.

It's also objectively more difficult, so it's also harder to do with the same intensity as "pure fun" things. And, all the while, you're not having pure fun. That either puts a greater onus on appreciating that sense of meta-fun from programming or on how much pure fun you derive from games, which *may* decrease with time.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 24.png (687x717, 516K)

So those are the only two options in your view, play vidya or get married? How fucking old are you?
Civilization 4, Fallout NV, Halo 2, that's pretty much it. Everything else I get bored of after awhile.

become an adult site model

Good analogy

But video games are fun. I just clocked up 40 hours on this. There aren't better hobbies out there and even if there are, it will be costly.

Attached: DnUBJCOVYAALZDg.jpg (1200x675, 136K)

How old are you?

Modern games are boring. I'm barely over 20 and I already feel like an old 80 year old man who complains about "muh kids these days" with all these terrible new games coming out. I unironically have more fun programming.

Civ sucks ass. EU4 and Stellaris, and generally only Paradox games, are the only 4X games worth shit in that genre, which is heartbreaking. The grand strategy systems are way more fleshed out, and the AIs are slightly less massively retarded.
At least Distant Worlds is a jaw-dropping spectacle, physically and mechanically, if the AI is just as stupid as Civ-tier games.
So little innovation in that genre. I guess it's difficult and the playerbase is so smol because so many people are retards and so people can make clones of Orion and Civ and call it a day. S m h

>raising kids
>fulfilling
lmao

>raise kids
>invest thousands of dollars in them
>they fuck over your life work because of a purple haired tranny in a college told them to
You're not wrong.

I wanna make my own video game but I don't know where to start, I've got gamemaker studio on the computer but I have no idea how to make the game I want.

I am doing beer league hockey right now and I find it way more fun than vidya. It doesn't really cost me more than I would spend on videogames

>start playing my vidya
>realize it’s not as fun as programming
>go back to programming
I wish I was young again

Attached: deprepe.jpg (4000x3624, 693K)

I wish more people shared my obscure taste in vidya. Sure there's a club at university but all of them are playing their switches or the latest MMO or whatever and here I am trawling Itch.io for nonsense and pirating GOG games

> quit vidya because it's boring
> learn programming
> it's boring
> smoke jenk err day
> most fun i've ever had

Attached: jenk.png (476x436, 125K)

What did you try playing
If it was modern it was probably shit

>they fuck over your life work because of a purple haired tranny in a college told them to

>raised
i don't mean make them Catholic conservashit cretins but if you did a moderate job, they would neither listen to nor be purple-haired trannies

Attached: anime girl three question marks.png (314x278, 129K)

Start with making some simple stuff in pygame, that's what I'm doing

How is the AI in Civ 4 retarded? On the highest difficulties the AI plays perfectly

Start with jumping into basic C++. It's widely used in games because it supports both efficiency in manipulating memory directly and inheritance which is useful for modeling game objects.
Then work a bit on alogrithms, and comp sci stuff.
Then study how to use various APIs for rendering things, sound, input, Win32, etc.

Don't use an engine, those are designed for people who know what the fuck they're doing. It would be like using a calculator to compute the sine without any understanding of what a sine is.

"high difficulty" in Civ means "AI gets massive bonuses over human".
That's true to some extent in all strat games with wide solution space, but it can be made more interesting (i.e., they can play more like humans and less like autistic robots) with deeper systems like diplo maluses/bonuses and ideology systems which Civ is too basic bitch to have.
EU and other real-world-based games admittedly have an unfair advantage because the AIs can act out of historical precedent. That's why EU4's AI is better than Stellaris's, which sucks.

Attached: [RH] Himouto! Umaru-chan - 10 [405AC755] [00_14_00.338].png (960x540, 707K)

>Civ doesn't have diplomacy malus/bonus or ideologies

Stop being naive you can't fight institutions with the backing of billions of dollars.

Technically, Pong has graphics.

Okay, now I'm starting to think you've never actually played Civ4 before

Ok, Alex.

I program professionally since I was 21. I played games throughout my teens and 20's and hated programming outside of work even though I was a top hand at work. Right at 29, I felt like my life was idling or I wasn't getting ahead. Things like TV and video games made me feel good during and bad/guilty afterwards. I had to consciously put that shit away and force myself to have hobbies like programming where I might pickup new skills and knowledge instead of zap bang woohooing my life away. Since then, I did the entire EE curriculum from my alma mater (sp?) and right now have too many interesting personal projects to keep up with. I wish I could freeze time and play games for a year but once you realize that games just steal your time you start picking up hobbies with more upside. At 29, I also dropped smoking and drinking as vices even though I occasionally indulge in alcohol. Games, drugs, all that stuff robs you of your time and health. It's not about what is more fun or feels better. It is all about self control and discipline. Best of luck to you.

What is this, 2005?
Am I chatting with my weeb e-girlfriend in the Netherlands over WLM? Am I going to hop on my orc warrior to try to ding to 40 later?
VI is better anyway.

what i can say is that programming is not your cup of tea
i enjoy both programming and games though

Programming isn't "fun", it's a job where you have real responsibilities, bosses or clients and deadlines to meet, and you have to do the work even if you don't feel like it or hate the stupid shit you have to deal with to get there.
"Passion" is bullshit that jewish employers brainwash people with in order to have cheap labor and steer more people into their industry, thus increasing competition and decreasing wages.

Just jump RIGHT in there!
Why can't you have containers of references?

Attached: sww2263372397_7bd489703f_o.jpg (1200x711, 993K)

Just like I thought, you haven't
>VI is better anyway
0/10 bait

Civ4 has the same tier of civic/idea and opinion mechanics as EU4

Who's Alex?

>Don't use an engine, those are designed for people who know what the fuck they're doing.

That seems counterintuitive...

Attached: 1538045964094.jpg (527x408, 46K)

Attached: nostalgia.jpg (500x483, 52K)

Depends on what you do code.
Programming emulators for example can be addictive as fuck.

I've now spent the past hour trying to install pip on windows 10

god fucking dammit please help

Lmao

I've spent it tryna do a fold... within a fold.
That's double recursion son u feelin me it's crazy shit up in here i tried to grok dat shit for like a hot minute DEN i went to shitpost on da foCHAN cuz is rly too much thbf

Attached: droid wipe.png (300x300, 65K)

It's not for everyone. Some people like solving puzzles and will obsess over a bug or getting some shit to work. If you're not like that then programming will be hell.

Did you check if it was already installed?

Use powershell and not cmd to install it

look at a youtube video on how to do it

You will spend hours, even days figuring out simple shit when you first learn to program

it will get easier with time, but the first months will be a grind

just don't give up try till you figure it out

google, irc and youtube videos (and Jow Forums and reddit) for help

Ok it is installed but I can't use it from command prompt or the python interpreter and YES I WENT INTO CONTROL PANEL AND ADDED IT TO THE PATH VARIABLES EVEN THOUGH THE SCRIPT WASN'T ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE THEY SAID IT WOULD BE

>asking for help on IRC
system32 deleted

This is a child.
Children can't do anything easily.
Wait until you're older, pumpkin.

Attached: anime blush.jpg (590x700, 147K)

what makes you do this

Attached: FUCK_THE_ONTERNET.jpg (455x532, 155K)

google the error message

No, it's not fun. You have to be a level 100 autist to consider it fun.

Trust me!

>Be brainlet
>Have to take 2 programming classes for sys admin degree
>mfw 1 month in programming class.
This is without a doubt the hardest class I ever took. The shitty textbook isn't helping either and it skips many parts of the test.

Attached: 1535286110635.jpg (1280x720, 237K)

irc is my last resort but there are some real wizards in the right channels

It's because using someone else's engine speeds up workflow once you know the underlying concepts and don't have to spend hours debugging and perfecting it.

Motherfuceer I already did that they said to append it to my PATH variable from the control panel and I tried to do that but it didn't update when I typed "Path" into cmd prompt

Programming for me feels like a long car trip, Yeah there are occasionally some interesting things, but most of the time it is boring redundant work, seeing the same exits/doing the same thing over and over again.

Programming isn't for everybody. You have to have the right mind set and enjoy solving problems and following logic.
It also depends on the language you use. Some languages are easier to understand and remember than others.

Every time i run into a problem I can't solve by looking it up online I want to kill someone

what's it say when you try to do something with PIP like install pygame

develop a way to find games boring

>repetitive
Maybe you need a language with macros.

required reading for you two
paulgraham.com/avg.html

>'pip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I restarted file explorer but it still won't update the command prompt path which is what's probably the problem

I was in the same boat, finished comp sci very recently and never met anyone who even remotely shared my taste. Went to my uni's game club, talked to a lot of gamedev students. Honestly not even being a megamind right now I legit understand why Vidya is so bad in 2016+2

You're trying to run it through the command prompt itself instead of python
Start python first or just put 'py' at the front of the line

Attached: 2018-09-30 23_07_42-Python 3.7 (64-bit).png (752x147, 8K)

py -m pip help
Try that outside of python
I forgot how gay this was

if it works then py -m pip install -U pygame --user

>actual hobbies like video games

Attached: 1518627531048.jpg (480x640, 60K)

Oh thank god

why wasn't that solution in any of the 7-8 stackoverflow and windows forum pages i looked in

Nice respectfulness user.

which type of videogames do you find boring? what if there was something you already liked but retroactively it was always in the form of a videogame?

damn I with I knew dude.

You should try AI War. The AI is a masterpiece of difficulty. The creator considers player victory at the hardest difficulty a bug and patches whatever exploit allowed it to happen.

That guy is a troll. There is nothing wrong with how the AI plays in Civ4. As I stated before the AI plays perfectly on the highest difficulties.

because they're all fags who learned programming in college courses, especially at stackoverflow

did you already do online tutorials and stuff to get the python basics?

I did try that game, but that's too weird even for me, and I play DF and Aurora and DW with no automation except ctor ships. o/////o
It's not "hardness" that's appealing. SC or other RTSes on max difficulty (time factor = machine advantage) or even fucking chess (tight solution space = machine advantage) will serve that. I'm talking about *interesting*, mechanically, and deep and impressive in scale and scope.

Attached: peridot2.png (1032x1032, 440K)

Civ AI is and will always be shit, and you're too retarded to realize it. Same with any wide ss, turn-based game.
Turn-based means human plays as fast as machine. Huge map with tons of possible moves and transition state inputs = durrrr throw moar units at the problem. Otherwise, have Civ 4's dev team call the Pentagon; they'd probably get put in private condos with guard details and work for the government.

>X can't be fun if you apply the skills for X in making money

Guess that rules out music, sports, and almost everything else.

Life is pain.
Life is only pain.

Attached: south-park-s07e14c06-the-goth-kids-16x9.jpg (960x540, 50K)

You seem really butt blasted for some reason. What's the matter, Civ 4 too hard for you?