My boomer friend has $600 and wants to get his first laptop at the age of 55

My boomer friend has $600 and wants to get his first laptop at the age of 55.

What would be best? I plan on installing Mint Linux.

Good cpu is a plus

Attached: 1536644908985.jpg (602x552, 155K)

Why are you friend with a boomer?

Why aren't you?

based

He was my neighbor. Now he's my friend. We see each other twice a week and smoke pot and watch Trump videos and laugh our asses off

He wants to get into crypto stuff and watch movies/videos

Somebody hasn't learned that this is a terrible idea yet. By all means, don't take my advice to dismiss yourself from this situation, that way I'll have more backup when you're giving the same advice in 6 months to a year.

He sounds like a moron. Tell him to forget the crypto stuff and get any smart tv from best buy.

Can you just give me a good laptop in the 600 range for a boomer?

Please?

Why would you install linux on someones computer that is obviously computer illiterate? Check your autism

Attached: 1531730340204.png (444x440, 311K)

Just get him a used mac or something
Why force Gnu/Linux on him?

This desu. It's just going to be extra headache for him if he needs help and you're not around.

Because he would literally only use Firefox and VLC, and theres no bloatware to confuse

My mom used mint for a solid 5 months and she was fine. She only used the browser, though. But at least it worked and didn't bother her every 5 minutes.

>it's another Jow Forums sperg tries shoving linux down a friend/relatives throat who doesn't know any better and will need help with absolutely everything episode

lol I've install ubuntu and linux mint on 2 computers for relatives and it works fine.

MacOS had big pretty buttons as to not confuse normies. You can download firefox and VLC on a used mac and give your clueless boomer friend something easy to use.

Just get him a used Mac or do a hackintosh 420. If you get him Linux he'll not know how to do anything and somehow fuck it up or you'll be at his house every weekend trying to help figure out why his task bar no longer exists or something. If Windows he'll get a call from a tech support scammer and lose all his money

Refurbished T420 running Arch with riced-out i3-gaps and anime wallpaper.
Pocket the remaining $500.

Attached: 1534191903687.jpg (706x690, 54K)

A fellow man of culture.

Attached: tux pepe.png (602x500, 45K)

Doesn't really matter much. Get him an asus or acer or dell or hp or whatever is cheap and good enough.

Then you could just get a Chinese N4100 or something Atom laptop for $350 (Teclast F5 has come up in csg a few times) or so and that'd do the job. Perhaps even better than a fast gaymen one because it'll have less weight and more battery.

Doesn't matter if it's Windows, Linux or OSX if you just launch 2 applications with desktop icons.

Linux will probably be the easiest to keep updated though and it is less likely to violate the guy's trust than the other two lel no privacy policy OS'.

Refurbished Thinkpad x131e netbook running Trisquel Gnu/Linux for maximum free as in freedom

Attached: image.jpg (420x420, 128K)

Boomers are 60+...your friends a gen xer

I told my boomer friend (age 65) to get a cheap lenovo laptop, was around $400. I think it came with no OS and I put windows10 on there for him and I haven't heard him complain. All he does is check his stock portfolio and email. he still uses a dumbphone btw.

/thread

Check this thread:

t. zoomer